ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the Brazilian leg of the tour 10 years ago today
Estadio Maracaná - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - February 4, 1995
© and thanks to Jair "Coca Buena" Mota
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: No Oscar For Mick Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
January 25th, 2005 11:59 AM
jb Gazza, do they sell American "french fries" in london..not hash browns, but real french fries?
January 25th, 2005 12:03 PM
glencar LOL The death list is bittersweet. I do see a lot of movies & I realized long ago that the Oscars are just a PR team's dream work. Often, "buzz" leads to nominations. Not to pick on Joey's pal but "Sideways" is a film that few people have seen & those who have have been somewhat underwhelmed. Yet it had buzz. I saw a film called "Shattered Glass" a couple of years ago about a magazine plagiarist & the guy who played the editor in that movie was unbelievable yet I don't recall him ever being on anyone's list.

This year Mick's song is better than the ones on that list that I've heard & yet no nom? Should he have copied Elton John & written a sappy ballad?
January 25th, 2005 12:04 PM
glencar Joshy, they're called "chips" over there. Same deal: greasy & fattening yet not without some charms.
January 25th, 2005 12:04 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Gazza, do they sell American "french fries" in london..not hash browns, but real french fries?

I would like to dine with you at the World Famous ' Rascal House ' in Miami
January 25th, 2005 12:08 PM
Angiegirl Damn, the Dutch film 'Simon' isn't nominated for Foreign Language Film either. I hoped they would be, great movie. I was looking forward to staying up till dawn with Mick and 'Simon' there, but now...

Rather watch the Razzies with George W. Bush nominated for worst actor in Fahrenheit 911, hehehehe
Too bad that isn't broadcasted in Holland.
January 25th, 2005 12:09 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

I would like to dine with you at the World Famous ' Rascal House ' in Miami

They opened one in Boca 5 yrs ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 25th, 2005 12:11 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
They opened one in Boca 5 yrs ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nebraska has NONE !!!!!
January 25th, 2005 12:13 PM
glencar Angie, I know this hurts but George W. Bush was nomainated and one something more important than a Razzie. I raely comment on other countries' politicians & everytime I do I'm criticized for it. Please drop the Bush-bashing & try to work with us in the War On Terror. You guys have your own angry Muslim population.
January 25th, 2005 12:19 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
glencar wrote:
You guys have your own angry Muslim population.

Yeah, we absolutely do, hot item right now.

Lighten up Glenny, I just read it and it made me laugh, that's all.
January 25th, 2005 12:20 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Gazza, do they sell American "french fries" in london..not hash browns, but real french fries?

arent "real" french fries, uh...French?
January 25th, 2005 12:22 PM
jb They are commonly referred to as Freedom Fries by consevatives here in the USA................
January 25th, 2005 12:22 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
They are commonly referred to as Freedom Fries by consevatives here in the USA................

January 25th, 2005 12:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
They are commonly referred to as Freedom Fries by consevatives here in the USA................

so I believe. Oh, the irony
January 25th, 2005 12:26 PM
glencar OK, Angie I'll lighten up. But only after we subjugate the world's crazed Muslim population. Let's do it together!
January 25th, 2005 12:27 PM
glencar In the USA, hatred (dislike, more accurately) isn't a right/left issue. The French are considered boorish by all. I'm not saying I think this way (I don't) but I've known plenty of lefties who also despise the French. The whole Iraq War just ramped those feelings to an all-time high.
January 25th, 2005 01:16 PM
gimmekeef If the oil companies would get out of the way and let non fossil fuel vehicles be developed....no one would give a shit about the Middle East and Iraq and we could let the Muslims kill each other for the sand!!!!
January 25th, 2005 01:23 PM
glencar Yahoo!
January 25th, 2005 02:43 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
telecaster wrote:

The fact that Mick & "Passion of the Christ" were shutout
shows that Hollywood is run by spiteful jews

ARE THERE ANY OTHER KIND OF JEWS? OH, I FORGOT,THERE IS THE CHEAP SELF HATING JEW.THEN THERES THE HOMOSEXUAL, 12K USELESS POSTING, HYPOCHONDRIAC JEW WHO LIVES IN BOCA.

HOWS THAT FOR #1,000?
January 25th, 2005 04:38 PM
BILL PERKS JOSH-THIS HOSPITAL WILL CURE WHAT AILS YOU
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/01/25/auschwitz.visit/index.html
January 25th, 2005 05:25 PM
Soldatti Rolling Stone:

Crows Nab Oscar Nom

Groban also up, Jagger and Stewart snubbed

Counting Crows' "Accidentally in Love," featured in the animated film Shrek 2, is among the Best Original Song nominees for the 77th Annual Academy Awards. "Believe," written by Glen Ballard and Alan Silvestri and recorded by Josh Groban for the animated film The Polar Express, was also tapped for an Oscar nomination.
Rounding out the category are The Phantom of the Opera's "Learn to Be Lonely," written by Andrew Lloyd Webber with lyrics by Charles Hart; The Motorcycle Diaries's "Al Otro Lado del Rio," written by Jorge Drexler; and "Look to Your Path," written by Bruno Coulais with lyrics by Christophe Barratier for France's Best Foreign Film nominee, The Chorus.

Counting Crows, Ballard and Silvestri, and Lloyd Webber also received nominations in this category for the 62nd Annual Golden Globe Awards. The winner on January 15th, however, was Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger and the Eurythmics' Dave Stewart, for "Old Habits Die Hard." The duo wrote the song, with vocals by Jagger, for the 2004 remake of Alfie, starring Jude Law.

This is the first time in thirty-seven years that the Globe winner in this category has not received an Oscar nomination.

ALEX MAR
(Posted ene 25, 2005)
January 25th, 2005 05:55 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
This is the first time in thirty-seven years that the Globe winner in this category has not received an Oscar nomination.

Ouch. Does that say more about Mick, about the Globes, or about the Oscars I wonder??
January 25th, 2005 06:02 PM
Gazza bastards

ah well, its good to see Mick's still breaking records, in some form.
January 25th, 2005 07:34 PM
glencar It reflects badly on the Oscars. The 3 songs I've heard that they did select are certainly not as good as Mick's. 3 1/2 hours of time saved!
January 25th, 2005 08:41 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
3 1/2 hours of time saved!

Mick saved a month for the Stones too...
January 26th, 2005 07:18 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
ah well, its good to see Mick's still breaking records, in some form.

LMAO!!!
January 26th, 2005 07:22 AM
LadyJane I'm disappointed. The Foreign Press is much more "hip" that the stodgy old Academy Members.

LJ.
January 26th, 2005 10:35 AM
Joey
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I'm disappointed. The Foreign Press is much more "hip" that the stodgy old Academy Members.

LJ.

I would like to dine with you this evening at the World Famous " Rascal House " in downtown Boca Raton .

Rasky !
January 26th, 2005 10:41 AM
jb
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

ARE THERE ANY OTHER KIND OF JEWS? OH, I FORGOT,THERE IS THE CHEAP SELF HATING JEW.THEN THERES THE HOMOSEXUAL, 12K USELESS POSTING, HYPOCHONDRIAC JEW WHO LIVES IN BOCA.

HOWS THAT FOR #1,000?

Jaxx here's some insight from today's Hollywood Reporter. quite frankly, i think the academy awards are a reflection of hollyweird politics and certainly are not talent related. every year, something thought provoking, brilliant, or both gets snubbed:

Music nominations lack star power of years past

By Chris Morris
Conventional wisdom sometimes turns out to be just that: conventional.

On the music side, at least, the 2005 Academy Award nominations finally might put to rest the old saw that the Golden Globes are a harbinger of Oscar things to come. This year, the Academy saw fit to ignore the Globe winners in both the original motion picture score and song categories.

Three-time Oscar winner Howard Shore's score for "The Aviator," the top-nominated picture with 11 noms, was disqualified by the Academy's music branch, while Mick Jagger and Dave Stewart's song "Old Habits Die Hard," written for the remake of "Alfie," failed to secure Oscar favor.

Musing on this year's best song field, nominee Glen Ballard said: "There are surprises that pop up every now and then. It makes me think that people are really listening. They're not just checking out what's familiar."

Ballard's "The Polar Express" collaborator Alan Silvestri said, "All of these things move in some kind of wave, and it's come around to this kind of configuration (in the category) right now."

The absence of the Rolling Stones' Jagger and Eurythmics' Stewart robs the best song slot of some star allure. The original song category has long been the Oscars' destination for music biz glitter, but this year -- once again dodging the conventional -- the music branch has largely ignored familiar pop names.

Rock band Counting Crows' "Shrek 2" entry "Accidentally in Love" is the only nominee by an established chart power. It was probably this year's slam-dunk nominee: "Shrek 2" spawned the biggest soundtrack album of 2004, currently homing in on 1 million units sold. Songwriter-producer Ballard, noted for his work establishing singer-songwriter Alanis Morissette's career, collaborated with Silvestri on the nominated tune "Believe" from "The Polar Express."

A new song by Andrew Lloyd Webber for the screen version of his Broadway evergreen "The Phantom of the Opera" and two foreign-language compositions for independent pictures complete the best song field.

The latter songs are by writers far better known at home than they are abroad. Bruno Coulais -- who co-wrote "Vos Sur Ton Chemin" for the best foreign-language film nominee "The Chorus" ("Les Choristes") with lyricist and director Christophe Barratier -- has racked up two Cesar Awards in his native France, where the soundtrack album was a huge smash. Jorge Drexler, who penned "Al Otro Lado Del Rio" for "The Motorcycle Diaries," has captured a Latin Grammy Award nomination.

The original score category is split between first-time nominees Jan A.P. Kaczmarek ("Finding Neverland") and John Debney ("The Passion of the Christ") and Academy war horses John Williams, James Newton Howard and Thomas Newman, now with a total of 56 nominations (seven for Newman, six for Howard and -- tying Alfred Newman's record in the music categories -- 43 for Williams) to their credit.

Kaczmarek said he was thrilled to be part of a strong field this year but wasn't shy in evaluating his dark horse status. "I'm in the company of such extraordinary composers," he said. "It's great, great company to be with. My chances, I wouldn't speculate ... (but) I would say shamelessly that I'm not in a totally hopeless situation here."

[Edited by Jaxx]
jb
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
JOSH-THIS HOSPITAL WILL CURE WHAT AILS YOU
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/01/25/auschwitz.visit/index.html

Page: 1 2 3 4
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood