ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the Brazilian leg of the tour 10 years ago today
Estadio Maracaná - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - February 4, 1995
© and thanks to Jair "Coca Buena" Mota
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Goodnight, Johnny Carson Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
January 24th, 2005 05:09 PM
glencar Nope. Closest I've been is Cheyenne. Maybe someday when it snows in July...
January 24th, 2005 05:11 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Nope. Closest I've been is Cheyenne. Maybe someday when it snows in July...

You make Joey sad .
January 24th, 2005 05:14 PM
glencar Well, if the Stones play at that new Cowtown Arena in Lincoln, maybe then. But really...
[Edited by glencar]
January 25th, 2005 12:30 PM
FPM C10 My first thoughts re: Johnny Carson's timely passing:

When I was really little the Tonight Show was 90 min a night, (and I know for a good while it was live)and was broadcast from New York. It was always a thrill to be allowed to stay up and see Johnny. In those days there was a bar in the green room and the last few guests were usually sloshed.

Back then, one combination Johnny loved to arrange was having Little Richard and Don Rickles sitting next to each other on the couch. That was TOO funny.

Johnny lost his edge when he moved to LA but he still had 1000 times more class than that big-chinned idiot who squats in his vacated seat.

Johnny HATED rock bands because he had the Youngbloods on his show circa 1968 or 9 and they tried to tell his sound guys how to do their job. HIPPIES telling trained professionals and dues-paying union members how to do their job!!!(Probably said something like "we're louder than Steve & Edie so you may want to tweak that red knob over there")Johnny had a moratorium against having ANY rock bands on the Tonight Show that lasted for years, which is why Cavett got Lennon, Harrison, Hendrix, Joplin, et al.

And the first thing I thought of was: in the late 70s all the upper-level cocaine dealers I knew called their primo stuff "Johnny Carson". And when you watched him - fidgety, uptight, a clipped manner of speaking, nervously hitting invisible golf balls - it seemed to make sense.
January 25th, 2005 12:33 PM
glencar It was always live when done in NYC & I believe even after the move to LA it was live for a short time still. Thanks for the info on why he never had rock bands. He missed the boat there.
January 25th, 2005 06:04 PM
Joey

" Johnny HATED rock bands because he had the Youngbloods on his show circa 1968 or 9 and they tried to tell his sound guys how to do their job. HIPPIES telling trained professionals and dues-paying union members how to do their job!!!(Probably said something like "we're louder than Steve & Edie so you may want to tweak that red knob over there")Johnny had a moratorium against having ANY rock bands on the Tonight Show that lasted for years, which is why Cavett got Lennon, Harrison, Hendrix, Joplin, et al. "

No wonder !!!!

Thanks Fleabit ......I learned something from you ... AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey Carson !

January 26th, 2005 01:13 PM
glencar For the Joey from the WSJ on line:
He-e-e-e-re's the Johnny I Wrote For
His eye was always on the ball, no matter what was going on in the bleachers.

BY RAYMOND SILLER
Tuesday, January 25, 2005 12:01 a.m. EST

On my first day working on "The Tonight Show," back in 1969, I was shown a series of small rooms, each occupied by a man reading newspapers. These guys were writers like me, and they were reading with intensity; the looks on their faces suggested anxiety bordering on desperation. They were hunting for sources for the day's monologue.

Johnny Carson had built a formidable reputation based on his keen observations of that day's news events. He never told his writers what subjects to choose. It was up to each man to harvest a crop of jokes from the dailies, which Johnny himself would stitch into an eight-minute routine. That first day, three hours after I sat down at my typewriter, I'd sweated out the required four pages of monologue. One joke out of my 16 would make it on the air.

Five minutes before the taping, I paced in the hall outside the studio. Suddenly Johnny appeared. He opened the studio door. Then, glancing back at me, he cleared his throat to speak to his new writer. I couldn't wait to hear the wisdom the late-night king was about to impart.

"There's no business like show business . . . . Bull----!"

My first 13-week stint with Carson included the most-watched program in the history of television to that point--45 million viewers tuned in to see the wedding of Tiny Tim, a stringy-haired, falsetto-voiced, ukelele-playing singer, to Miss Vicky, his young bride. (Later that week, Johnny used another joke of mine: "Tiny Tim and Miss Vicky are on their honeymoon. There are already signs of trouble in the marriage. Last night, Miss Vicky hung a sign on their hotel room doorknob that read 'Disturb.'") For me, the job was going well. I averaged a respectable two or three jokes a night. Then Dick Cavett's assistant called to say that "ABC plans to put Dick on at 11:30 opposite Carson! He'd like you to rejoin his staff!"

By now I had become comfortable at the Carson show, but felt an obligation to honor the promise I'd earlier made to Dick to go back to work with him if he got a new show. But first I asked for a goodbye meeting with Johnny.

"I understand you're gonna be leaving us."

"Yes, I am."

"You're going back to Dick's new show opposite me."

"Dick gave me my first shot as a writer. I promised to come back if he ever got another show."

"I understand. (SMILING) Well, tell Dick I wish him luck . . . (WINKING) but not that much."

A classy thing for Johnny to say. And he took me back five years later, after I moved to L.A. to write for Bob Hope. I missed the pressure and challenge of Carson's daily monologues and sketches.

The rap on Carson was that he was aloof. If he was at times standoffish, he might have been driven by a need for self-preservation. When Johnny showed up at a Hollywood party, stars pounced on him for a shot on his TV couch. When in public, he was never free of his fans. It must have been hard for someone with his power to have a lot of close friends. Associates, maybe. Colleagues, sure. But do-or-die guys? Your friends are usually your peers. How many peers could he have?

Probably his closest friend was Buddy Rich. In April 1987, the feisty drummer succumbed to a battle with cancer. The news reached Johnny an hour before taping. When I brought some material up to his office, he was red-eyed.

There was talk of canceling the show, but he decided to go on. He refused to disappoint the tourists. Carson got through the program like the pro that he was.

When you were that sought after, the first rule was to screen your calls. One day I buzzed Johnny from my office. His secretary must have been in the ladies' room. The phone rang a dozen times. With no way to monitor the phone, he picked up and spoke into his mouthpiece...as Aunt Blabby.

I got a taste of his life following the show's 25th anniversary special. He hosted a lavish party for the staff aboard the Queen Mary, the former ocean liner that was now a hotel and tourist complex in Long Beach. When the party wound down, Johnny invited six of us up to the lounge for a nightcap. We were barely seated when a sap with a snootful materialized at our table. He got into Johnny's face in an ugly way, asserting how unfunny and untalented he was. Johnny rope-a-doped the insults until the rube ran out of steam and vaporized.

Johnny was serious about the show. Off-camera, he'd banter back and forth with humor and small talk, but we quickly got down to business. He was disciplined, with a low tolerance for incompetence. His eye was on the ball no matter what was going on in the bleachers.

He could be self-absorbed. In my first years as head writer, I sported a mustache. One day on vacation, I shaved it off. Three months later, after seeing me daily, Johnny looked up at me and said, "Hey, you shave your mustache?"

And he had moody moments. Sometimes they lasted for weeks. During those periods, he hated the guests, the production staff, and most of all the writing. Fred deCordova would call me with a whispered heads-up on the moods.

But Johnny often did the right thing by me. He took the time to record a taped greeting to my parents for their 50th anniversary party. However, at the end of his remarks, lest anyone catch him in a moment of sentiment, he added, "This is in lieu of a raise for your son." I showed him the completed tape, which included my tribute to my parents stating how we loved each other but found it hard to say the words. Johnny said how much that reminded him of the relationship he had with his own parents.

The supermarket tabloids that reported on Johnny's divorces missed his visit to his grade-school teacher in Nebraska on her 100th birthday. Or his donation of a million dollars to a Nebraska Cancer Center. Or when he helped out the widow of Ray Combs, who hosted "Family Feud" and had done standup comedy on "The Tonight Show."

The show was a major part of his life, the home base desk his comfort zone. Even at rehearsals, he never plopped on the couch. He sat behind that desk. Sitting onstage waiting for stagehands to strike a set for rehearsal, he would sing "April in Paris." Always those three words. And just those three words.

He kept up to date by reading the papers and gorging on TV, digesting the indigestible. On vacations, he called me with usually good workable concepts. He seemed happiest thinking up ideas for bits.

He wasn't so coy that he didn't realize he was a star. But he wasn't full of himself, either. Each audience had a distinct personality, and there were nights when they laughed at nothing. The stare back disturbed him. He recalled in all seriousness when the monologue once went down the dumper three nights straight he was ready to quit the business.

Another time, Johnny had been feeling under the weather. The next day he told me, "Thank God for Robin Williams last night. I was off my game and he saved my ass."

Johnny had good instincts about what was right for him. He knew his audiences' boredom threshold. His was lower. He'd tire of a reference before the audience and order us to drop it. He wouldn't pile on an easy target.

Johnny wouldn't produce a circus that happened to be televised. He knew when to give guests the hook before they peaked and then move on. He didn't overwhelm or overpower. He wasn't a manic performer, so he was a welcome guest in your home.

But one day in 1992 he did leave. For good.

In 1995, I had lunch with Johnny and expressed surprise that he hadn't been back on TV. He said he didn't want to be like Bob Hope, doing specials for the sake of doing them. He said Lucille Ball shouldn't have come back doing pratfalls in her 70s.

That rainy day in Malibu, Johnny didn't act like my boss. I had quit "The Tonight Show" in December 1988, tired after 15 years of relentless pressure. We were just two unemployed guys who once worked together--shooting the breeze, telling war stories. Then we waved goodbye.

When Johnny's mother died in 1985, I'd sent him a condolence letter. He'd sent a note back, thanking me for my thoughts. Then he'd added: "Guess who's next?" Johnny felt the need to break the sadness by falling back on his sense of humor. For the past few days, America has been doing the same.

Mr. Siller was a staff writer for Johnny Carson in New York in 1969, and in Los Angeles from 1974 through 1988--the last 12 of those years as head writer.
January 26th, 2005 02:01 PM
Joey

January 26th, 2005 02:40 PM
glencar I found Carson's thoughts on Lucille Ball & Bob Hope interesting. I wonder what he would have thought about our boys?
January 26th, 2005 02:52 PM
Joey " I wonder what he would have thought about our boys? "

Carson hated " Rock & Roll " ( most of those WWII guys did ) !

" LENO PRETENDS TO LIKE JOHNNY... "

" Howard spent a good part of the morning trashing Jay Leno's tribute to Johnny Carson on last night's Tonight Show. Howard said Jay was being hypocritical and insincere for several reasons. First off, according Bill Carter's book, "The Late Shift," Leno and his manager Helen Kushnick pushed Carson off the show prematurely. For Leno to now pretend to respect Carson is hypocritical. On top of that, Howard said Carson didn't even like Leno. Johnny felt Jay had stabbed him in the back and didn't even mention him or wish him good luck during his final broadcast as the "Tonight Show" host. Howard said Carson really wanted David Letterman to replace him, but Leno went behind his back. Howard pointed out that Carson did Letterman's show after he retired, but not Jay's. He also had been writing jokes for Letterman occasionally, but won't even return Jay's calls. Howard played some of Leno's tribute last night. He noticed how Stuttering John didn't do his usual, upbeat intro. Howard bet they told him to tone it down for a more "serious" show. Howard laughed thinking about the meeting that must have taken place to come up with that idea.

...AND SO DOES MCMAHON

Jay started out by saying that he couldn't think of anything to say about Johnny Carson that hasn't already been said. To Artie this meant that Leno basically couldn't think of anything nice to say about Carson. Leno called Carson a nice, polite man and it's been a tough 24 hours for him since learning of Carson's death. Howard wondered if Jay even feels bad for pushing Carson out. Gary said he's sure Jay convinced himself that it was all his manager's doing and he's completely innocent of the whole thing. Howard said that's Leno's M.O. He did the same thing with Stuttering John. Howard played more of the tribute but kept stopping the tape to comment on Jay's "sincerity." Howard said the tribute would have been so much better if Leno had just told the truth. Then Leno brought out Ed McMahon to reminisce about Johnny. Howard said Ed was another guy who is probably thrilled that Carson was gone. Howard said that he had read that Carson had tried to replace Ed a few times in the early years and wanted to know why Ed didn't talk about that on Leno. He also said that Ed had to get Carson's permission to take any outside jobs, so he's probably happy to finally be free after so many years. Ed thanked Jay for his great "essay" on Carson. Howard couldn't get over how fake and phony Jay sounded. "

http://www.howardstern.com/today-show-archive.php

January 26th, 2005 02:58 PM
glencar Howard Stern is a dick.
January 26th, 2005 02:59 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Howard Stern is a dick.

You make Joey sad .

www.HowardStern.com
January 26th, 2005 03:04 PM
glencar Seriously, Joey. The guy picked at Carson for 2 decades & now taht Carson's gone, he's using him to go after Leno for things Leno did 14 years ago. I'm not a Leno fan by any stretch but this stuff is just bullshit. Stern makes StonesJuno almost look normal. Geez!
January 26th, 2005 03:07 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Seriously, Joey. The guy picked at Carson for 2 decades & now taht Carson's gone, he's using him to go after Leno for things Leno did 14 years ago. I'm not a Leno fan by any stretch but this stuff is just bullshit. Stern makes StonesJuno almost look normal. Geez!

Blue ..................

I DESPERATELY need to ********* END TRANSMISSION *********

January 26th, 2005 03:07 PM
glencar Yeah, StonesJuno can induces the runs...
January 26th, 2005 03:17 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yeah, StonesJuno can induces the runs...

January 26th, 2005 03:59 PM
Joey

January 26th, 2005 04:02 PM
jb

WE, like the above horses, are free!!!
January 26th, 2005 04:07 PM
Joey

January 26th, 2005 04:10 PM
jb meine libe abs shae moneky!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 26th, 2005 04:11 PM
Joey
My sources deep, DEEP inside Tardrite Corporation tell me the 2006 model -- The "Ian" -- is really gonna be something.

The old "Joey" styling is out the window, with a whole new crew of designers and engineers that were given the mandate to revolutionize head protection for the 21st century, regardless of the cost.

From what I hear, The Ian will come in a variety of colors including Day Glo orange, Hunter green, and Candy Apple red. Rumour has it that The Ian will have back-up sensors, curb feelers, XM radio, numerous cup holders and an osmotic sweat collector to keep the brow from chafing!

See your local Tardrite dealer for details.
January 26th, 2005 04:12 PM
jb Emoticons work faster!!!!!!!!!!!
January 26th, 2005 04:17 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Emoticons work faster!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!
January 26th, 2005 04:21 PM
jb Shalom!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 26th, 2005 04:22 PM
Joey

[Edited by Joey]
January 26th, 2005 04:27 PM
BILL PERKS JOHNNY WAS UNFUNNY,UNORIGINAL AND TIRESOME..KIND OF LIKE JOSHY
January 26th, 2005 04:27 PM
glencar what'
s this thread about again?
January 26th, 2005 04:28 PM
glencar Please perks you're stinkin' up the joint. go to shidobe. or gas-X
January 26th, 2005 04:31 PM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
JOHNNY WAS UNFUNNY,UNORIGINAL AND TIRESOME..KIND OF LIKE JOSHY

I despise Bill Perks with all my Heart & Soul !
January 26th, 2005 04:39 PM
glencar We all do, Joey, we all do. He's a uniter, not a divider.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood