ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the Brazilian leg of the tour 10 years ago today
Estadio Maracaná - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - February 4, 1995
© and thanks to Jair "Coca Buena" Mota
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Goodnight, Johnny Carson Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
January 24th, 2005 02:56 PM
glencar Thanks for the prayers, my Jewish brethren.
January 24th, 2005 03:12 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Thanks for the prayers, my Jewish brethren.

May the be with you always !

Sass !
January 24th, 2005 03:18 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
i LOVED ITR WHEN BOB HOPE WOULD COME OUT TO PROMOTE HIS ALL NCAA TEAM ON CARSON AND LEAVE AFTER A FEW MINUTES..

{{ ? }}

Why ?!?!

January 24th, 2005 03:25 PM
glencar Hope was Hollywood's biggest horndog...
January 24th, 2005 03:25 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
You remember the college all star shows hope had for many years were the player would run out and tell some coeny joke? Hope would go on Carson to promote the special chit chat for a few minutes, then have to go b/c of "other committements"

Oh yeah ...............sometimes he would even stay a few extra minutes and " sing " with/for Johnny !

" Dance like a Clown for me Ronnie ! "

Joey Hope !
January 24th, 2005 03:26 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Hope was Hollywood's biggest horndog...

He ' loved ' many women ( see : Lyndon Johnson , Bill Clinton , JFK , FDR , all Democratic Presidents except Truman ).

Cass !
January 24th, 2005 03:27 PM
glencar One of the obituary channels showed a clip of Hope & Carson singing "Tanks for the Memories." I was all teary-eyed later.
telecaster Anyone remember Carol Wayne?

The "Teatime Theater" girl?

She drowned
jb Joey, don't get upset, but Johnny is probably very "stiff" by now?
January 24th, 2005 03:28 PM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Anyone remember Carol Wayne?

The "Teatime Theater" girl?

She drowned

She was hot!!!! She drowned? You make Joshy very said..Carson was definitely banging her!!!
January 24th, 2005 03:31 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
She was hot!!!! She drowned? You make Joshy very said..Carson was definitely banging her!!!

Yes 1985. Two years after apprearing in Playboy

jb why do jews insist a person be buried within 24hrs
of passing away?
January 24th, 2005 03:32 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

Yes , both Carson and his next door neighbor , Burt Sugarman ( Mary Hart's Husband ) were banging the living Hell out of her until she became a " liability " and had to be " disposed " of ........
January 24th, 2005 03:35 PM
jb
quote:
jb wrote:
http://www.jlaw.com/Summary/burial.html

January 24th, 2005 03:40 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Joey, don't get upset, but Johnny is probably very "stiff" by now?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better call Gypsy

{ CA - RACK }

Double Ronnie !
January 24th, 2005 03:47 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better call Gypsy

{ CA - RACK }

Double Ronnie !

That's why your #1 ..even n as sad day like this, you still got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 24th, 2005 03:49 PM
kath
quote:

Yes , both Carson and his next door neighbor , Burt Sugarman ( Mary Hart's Husband ) were banging the living Hell out of her until she became a " liability " and had to be " disposed " of ........

-----------------------------

so, joey honey, you're not implying that johnny (one of your heroes) and burt sugarman had carol knocked off, are you??

gosh i hope not. that would be just icky.......
January 24th, 2005 03:52 PM
Joey
quote:
kath wrote:

so, joey honey, you're not implying that johnny (one of your heroes) and burt sugarman had carol knocked off, are you??

gosh i hope not. that would be just icky.......

There are bodies everywhere

Kath ..................I am very " Stiff " today .
January 24th, 2005 03:52 PM
jb No..his implying she took it from both ends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NInea abs shae monkey..ninea..liebe meine abs shae!!!!!!! meine libe es!!!
January 24th, 2005 03:53 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
That's why your #1 ..even n as sad day like this, you still got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to clutch you to my bosom and tickle you with me erect nipples whilst weeping profusely and shitting copious amounts of liquid .

Cass !
January 24th, 2005 04:13 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Are tributes pouring in on www.maxlugar.com?

No , but I am in a constant " flux " of mourning this day .

I may ball like baby tonight whilst watching " Big Ed " on Larry King Live .

I's Be serious !!!!!!!!!!

W- W- W- What ?!?! ...............Oh , Sure ! :

" The Denver Post "

Former "Tonight" host set standard
The “King of Late Night,” a mentor to a legion of comics, dies of emphysema. His 30 years on the show ended in 1992.
By Joanne Ostrow
Denver Post TV Critic

Monday, January 24, 2005 -

" Los Angeles - Johnny Carson, whose genial bedtime presence was a given for generations of American television viewers, died Sunday at age 79.

"Mr. Carson passed away peacefully early Sunday morning," Jeff Sotzing, Carson's nephew, told The Associated Press. "He was surrounded by his family, whose loss will be immeasurable. There will be no memorial service."

NBC said he died of emphysema at his home in Malibu.

With an inimitable combination of Midwestern accessibility and showbiz class, Carson came to define the role of "The Tonight Show" host in a 30-year run that ended in 1992.

He served as mentor for a generation of comics that included David Letterman, Jerry Seinfeld, Albert Brooks and Roseanne. Any comedian who succeeded in delivering a few minutes of material on Carson's "The Tonight Show" was considered launched in the business. If they then were invited to sit on Carson's couch for a debriefing, they were en route to stardom.

Just last week, former "Tonight Show" producer Peter Lassally told television critics here that Carson was still feeding jokes to Letterman.

"He can think of five jokes off the bat that he wishes he has an outlet for," Lassally told reporters.

When Letterman would use the punch lines, Lassally said, "Johnny (would get) a big kick out of that. I think the thing he misses the most is the monologue."

Carson started delivering those monologues in 1962 when he succeeded Jack Paar in the job.

"Heeere's Johnny!" sidekick Ed McMahon would bellow, and the skinny former amateur magician would come through the curtains in a well-tailored suit and stroll onstage at NBC's Burbank studios. And the party would begin.

AP / Douglas C. Pizac
Johnny Carson shakes hands with his longtime sidekick, Ed McMahon, on their last show together May 22, 1992. Carson retired after 30 years on "The Tonight Show."
Carson's monologue became an institution, a barometer of American sentiment on topics both silly and serious. When Richard Nixon became the butt of jokes from Carson during Watergate in the early 1970s, the president's fall from power seemed inevitable.

When the comic had run-ins with the network over salary and vacation time, the NBC brass were roasted on-air.

Carson would rock back on his heels, mug innocently at the camera or direct a sideways glance at bandleader Doc Severinsen. Sometimes the gags were hilarious; sometimes his reaction to duds was even funnier.

John William Carson was born Oct. 23, 1925, in Iowa and raised in Nebraska. He launched his career as a teen with a magic and ventriloquism act, "The Great Carsoni." In 1951, he landed his first television show, "Carson's Cellar."

In 1955, "The Johnny Carson Show" was his network debut, on CBS. A daytime game show followed on ABC from 1957 to 1962, during which he joined up with straight man McMahon. When Paar unexpectedly quit "The Tonight Show" in 1962, Carson was named the program's third host (Steve Allen was the first, from 1954 to 1957). Carson debuted Oct. 1, 1962, with McMahon as sidekick. Groucho Marx was the first guest.

Carson punctuated his sly delivery with his signature golf swing, before taking a seat at the desk for a procession of guests. The much-married Carson (four wives, three divorces) got monologue mileage out of his alimony payments over the years.

Sketches rounded out the show, including the characters "Aunt Blabby," "Floyd R. Turbo," "The Mighty Carson Art Players," and, best of all, the wonderfully inept "Carnac the Magnificent."

As Carnac, he would read an answer and, holding an envelope to his ridiculous turban, divine the question. (Answer: "Ben Gay." Question: "Why didn't Ben Franklin have any children?")

JOHNNY CARSON
Extras

Click here for video, audio, headlines and additional material on the life and career of Johnny Carson.

Many of the bits are preserved in the home video set, "Johnny Carson: His Favorite Moments From The Tonight Show." There is Carson cracking up with Don Rickles, Rodney Dangerfield and Buddy Hackett; flirting with Angie Dickinson; being pawed by zoo animals; introducing newcomers such as Seinfeld and Garry Shandling; and tearing up at Bette Midler's farewell serenade in 1992.

He remained the "King of Late Night" despite competing bids by Dick Cavett, Merv Griffin, Joey Bishop, David Frost and Joan Rivers.

In later years, Carson cut his work schedule from five nights a week to four, from 90 minutes a night to an hour. He served as Oscar host five times, but it was as a constant evening presence on "The Tonight Show" that he became an icon.

"It's a sad day for his family and his country," Letterman said Sunday. "All of us who came after are pretenders. We will not see the likes of him again. ... He was the best, a star and a gentleman."

"This is the end of an era," Rivers, a frequent guest host on the show, told Reuters. "With Carson, you went on once. You had his blessing, and the world knew you were funny."

Oprah Winfrey said she was "stunned" at the news. She called Carson "one of the greats of our time."

"He defined the original talk show," she said. "He was in our generation what Ed Sullivan was in that generation. Being on his show defined having made it."

NBC released statements from Bob Wright, a boss and personal friend of Carson's, and from Jay Leno, who replaced him as host of "The Tonight Show."

Wright, chairman of NBC Universal, said, "With his lightning-quick wit, effortless delivery and immense charm, he was without peer in late-night television. His death marks the passing of a show-business legend and a man of warmth and sincerity."

Leno said, "No single individual has had as great an impact on television as Johnny. He was the gold standard."

An intensely private man, Carson lived in seclusion in Malibu, playing tennis well into his 70s. In a rare interview in Esquire in 2002, he said, "I think I left at the right time. You've got to know when to get the hell off the stage, and the timing was right for me."

In addition to his wife, Alexis Mass, Carson is survived by two sons, Christopher and Cory, by his first wife, the former Jody Walcott. A third son, Richard, also by Walcott, died in a car accident in 1991.

In his final show, he told his audience: "And so it has come to this. I am one of the lucky people in the world. I found something that I always wanted to do, and I have enjoyed every single minute of it."

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~78~2670673,00.html#

[Edited by Joey]
January 24th, 2005 04:36 PM
telecaster Everytime a celebritie's publicist says "everything is just fine" expect disaster within 2-3 days

See Brad Pitt/Jennifer Aniston seperation

Johnny Carson, etal

At least Carson, unlike The Who, Michael Jordan, The Eagles and Cher retired as promised and went out with class.

I remain your obedient servant,

telecaster
January 24th, 2005 04:40 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Everytime a celebritie's publicist says "everything is just fine" expect disaster within 2-3 days

See Brad Pitt/Jennifer Aniston seperation

Johnny Carson, etal

At least Carson, unlike The Who, Michael Jordan, The Eagles and Cher retired as promised and went out with class.

I remain your obedient servant,

telecaster

Son ...................................

Class don't pay the bills and get you Paris Hilton
January 24th, 2005 04:44 PM
glencar Will all the exes show up for the funeral?
January 24th, 2005 04:51 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Will all the exes show up for the funeral?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050124/hp_reorganization_2.html?printer=1
January 24th, 2005 04:57 PM
glencar That was an article about Carly Fiorina. I have to say, she's an exec I can respect!
January 24th, 2005 05:05 PM
Lil Brian The Lincoln paper today said he donated over $5 million to causes and organizations just around Norfolk, his old hometown and that doesn't begin to describe...
Bye bye Johnny.
January 24th, 2005 05:06 PM
Joey
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
The Lincoln paper today said he donated over $5 million to causes and organizations just around Norfolk, his old hometown and that doesn't begin to describe...
Bye bye Johnny.

Lil' Bri ................................

Come To Joey
January 24th, 2005 05:06 PM
kath
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jb wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to clutch you to my bosom and tickle you with me erect nipples whilst weeping profusely and shitting copious amounts of liquid .

quite a visual, i must say.......
January 24th, 2005 05:07 PM
glencar Cowtown types always pay back their homies. Very nice.
January 24th, 2005 05:07 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Cowtown types always pay back their homies. Very nice.

You have never been to Nebraska , have you Blue ?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood