ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the Brazilian leg of the tour 10 years ago today
Estadio Maracaná - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - February 4, 1995
© and thanks to Jair "Coca Buena" Mota
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: For those interested: U2 tour starts on March 28/U2 tour info.....From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 24th, 2005 01:37 PM
glencar Besides, none of these tix are priced nearly as high as the Stones. Relax, bud.
January 24th, 2005 01:43 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The Stones' record will be safe because they're such money grabbing bastards

U2 seems to be reducing prices..do you expect a similar move from the Stones? Should I lower my fees?
January 24th, 2005 01:48 PM
glencar No, Joshy, if you lowered your fees how would we recognize you? Ever see that guy on the Amazing Race named Jonathan?
January 24th, 2005 01:50 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
No, Joshy, if you lowered your fees how would we recognize you? Ever see that guy on the Amazing Race named Jonathan?

Never saw the show, but I am enjoying the surreal life and the Brigette Flavor Flav show....
January 24th, 2005 02:36 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
U2 seems to be reducing prices..do you expect a similar move from the Stones? Should I lower my fees?

No. I dont. For the same reasons I gave in my last post.

U2's prices arent lower than last time, as far as I can tell. Maybe in the cheapest range, but I guess, taking inflation into account plus the fact that the highest priced tickets have risen it works out pretty much the same.

It's just that they seem very low in comparison to the legalised extortion that the Stones persist in inflicting on their own 'loyal' fanbase.

In addition to what Glencar said, as most of U2's 2005 shows will be indoors, their gross take wont be anywhere near that of an average Stones tour.

The Stones will always top the biggest grossing tour stats because of their ticket prices, more so than because of the amount of tickets they actually sell. Its a sad reflection on the Stones and some of their audience that being top of a greed chart is a source of pride and gives a feeling of self-worth.
January 24th, 2005 02:44 PM
glencar Gazza, I lve in a city where a baseball ticket (the cheap sport!) can cost about $70 bucks for one game. They play 81 homes games. A Broadway show costs about $85 for one that you'd want to see. Hell, even the circus charges a pretty penny. I don't like the route the Stones have taken but I do fell that taking in a few shows per tour is a special experience & well worth the freight.
January 24th, 2005 03:02 PM
jb gAZZA, i JUST 275 TO A SCALPER FOR FUCKING "HAIRSPRAY" TICKETS!!!! tHIS IS JUST THE WAY IT IS!!!!q
January 24th, 2005 03:04 PM
glencar Joshy, as your new-found Christian friend, I msut tell you that you best remove that post immediately. No one needs to know such damaging info about you!
January 24th, 2005 03:05 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy, as your new-found Christian friend, I msut tell you that you best remove that post immediately. No one needs to know such damaging info about you!

wIFE WANTED to go.......
January 24th, 2005 03:07 PM
glencar That's absolutely no excuse!
January 24th, 2005 03:12 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
That's absolutely no excuse!

iT SUCKED BIG TIME...
January 24th, 2005 03:22 PM
glencar It just seems so dull. I saw the movie & yeah, it was alright but pretty thin (no pun intended!) material. And in the flick, Ricki Lake played the first fatty, Tracy Turnblad.
January 24th, 2005 03:23 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
iT SUCKED BIG TIME...

I have to visit the Shedd Aquarium for the same reasons and am expecting the same results!
January 24th, 2005 03:26 PM
glencar Nah, I've been to the Shedd. At least the whales there are fun! There's none of that in "Hairspray."
January 24th, 2005 04:06 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Gazza, I lve in a city where a baseball ticket (the cheap sport!) can cost about $70 bucks for one game. They play 81 homes games. A Broadway show costs about $85 for one that you'd want to see. Hell, even the circus charges a pretty penny. I don't like the route the Stones have taken but I do fell that taking in a few shows per tour is a special experience & well worth the freight.

yeah I'm aware of that argument - you could make the same argument for London as well.

but surely its other major rock acts we should be comparing Stones' ticket prices to?

After all, they're supposed to be a rock 'n' roll act last time I looked, not some vaudeville act or circus. Plus they're supposed to be appealing to a (roughly) similar audience as other rock acts, not the sort of blue-rinsers you'd get at a Celine Dion show in Las Vegas.

Their prices were reasonable until 1998. More expensive than most (which is perfectly Ok considering their status) , but still not ridiculous and exclusive. It was well worth "the freight" taking in several shows back then.

Unfortunately, they've aimed themselves at an exclusively affluent audience of 'fans' who only know and only want to hear their hit singles and little else and they have tailored the show accordingly.

IMO it doesnt reflect well on their legacy that they've chosen that easy option.
January 24th, 2005 04:09 PM
jb Legacy..lmfao....that eneded in 72..it's a pity they chose the lifestyle over the music..25 fucking years of crap...not one hit after SMU!!!! Went the fuck went wrong Gary?
January 24th, 2005 04:10 PM
glencar I'm actually split on this matter in my own mind. They don't tour as often as other acts. I wish they would have kept up a better recording/touring schedule but I guess that is in the past. I do think that if tehy go for $300 tix this time around, it'll be tougher to get an enthusiastic audience.
January 24th, 2005 04:12 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm actually split on this matter in my own mind. They don't tour as often as other acts. I wish they would have kept up a better recording/touring schedule but I guess that is in the past. I do think that if tehy go for $300 tix this time around, it'll be tougher to get an enthusiastic audience.

Well, it would be a lafgely jewish audience$$$$$$$$$$$$...but remember only 6 million of us were killed compared to the 20 million Ruskies!!!
January 24th, 2005 04:24 PM
jb The worst south Florida jewish lawyer would make a kansas lawyer look like an ass...we are simply better!
January 24th, 2005 04:25 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
The worst south Florida jewish lawyer would make a kansas lawyer look like an ass...we are simply better!

Johnny was a Gentile with the wit of a Jew ( thus the reason he made forty five million a year )
January 24th, 2005 04:29 PM
glencar He made that much? Actually, Carson's humor was very midwestern, just like present-day late night leader David Letterman.
[Edited by glencar]
January 24th, 2005 04:31 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
He amde that much? Actually, Carosn's humor was very midwestern, just like present-day late night leader David Letterman.

Jay Leno is a hump
January 24th, 2005 04:32 PM
glencar Joey, I've edited the horrid typos out of my post. You may want to edit to reflect the new reality. And yes, Leno is a hump. That's why I said LETTERMAN was today's Late Night leader.
January 24th, 2005 04:34 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joey, I've edited the horrid typos out of my post. You may want to edit to reflect the new reality. And yes, Leno is a hump. That's why I said LETTERMAN was today's Late Night leader.

Your typos are egregious and call me when I am naked ...

...do you mean for me to scream ?
January 24th, 2005 04:35 PM
glencar If you scream, will anyone hear? I'm home alone on a very quiet street covered with snow. I may try to do it!
January 24th, 2005 04:38 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
If you scream, will anyone hear? I'm home alone on a very quiet street covered with snow. I may try to do it!

My testicles shrivel in the snow ... please don't !

Oh , it is fifty seven degrees here today !

( **** YOUNG JOEY NOW CUPPING HIS HAND TO HIS MOUTH AND GIGGLING TO HIMSELF ****** )
January 24th, 2005 04:45 PM
glencar It is 20 or so here. Inside day.
January 24th, 2005 04:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm actually split on this matter in my own mind. They don't tour as often as other acts. I wish they would have kept up a better recording/touring schedule but I guess that is in the past. I do think that if tehy go for $300 tix this time around, it'll be tougher to get an enthusiastic audience.

actually theyve been more active touring wise in recent years than they have been in a LONG time (they just havent recorded hardly anything!)

1994-1995, 1997-99, 2002-2003 and coming soon, 2005-2006.

Unless I've missed something, U2 for example toured in 1992-93, 1997 and then 2001 prior to this year. As far as I know, thats it!

Plus each of the last 2 Stones world tours and probably the next one) have seen them do more than 1 US tour

Agree on your last point. Theres a law of diminishing returns on these things with them having toured a lot in recent years, especially at those prices. Plus, with prices being that high, they're NOT going to be able to keep attracting new audiences
January 24th, 2005 04:56 PM
glencar Sad to say, but I'm willing to bet we're losing more Stones fans through death than we're gaining on an annual basis.
January 24th, 2005 04:59 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Legacy..lmfao....that eneded in 72..it's a pity they chose the lifestyle over the music..25 fucking years of crap...not one hit after SMU!!!! Went the fuck went wrong Gary?

You cant have it both ways, Josh. You get all uptight when the Stones get overlooked in some meaningless poll of all time greats and then you say they've been redundant since 1972.

Yeah, its a pity theyve chosen lifestyle over music. But they end up getting the ageing audience they deserve who dont want to hear anything recorded in the last three decades. It's hardly the sort of thing that's going to inspire them.

I'm assuming that when you go and see them in Miami this fall with your front row ticket that you paid several grand for, that this time 'round you'll see the irony.
[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood