ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the Brazilian leg of the tour 10 years ago today
Estadio Maracaná - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - February 4, 1995
© and thanks to Jair "Coca Buena" Mota
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I wonder if the new Album will be an SA-CD release?.....From Ian Return to archive
January 22nd, 2005 12:27 AM
IanBillen I wonder if the new Stones album will be an SA-CD hybrid? SA-CD has superior sound. You need an SA-CD player to take advantage of it. However they have hybrids that are both SA-CD and normal PCM/Regular CD compatible so you can play it on either an SA-CD player or a normal CD player. However if you only have a normal CD player you will not be able to play the SA-CD format. You will hear only the normal PCM layer of the hybrid disk as a regular CD.
I hope their next release is an SA-CD disk (as the remasters were)of some sort. That would be really cool.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
January 22nd, 2005 10:00 AM
Honky Tonk Man Oh for heavens sake, get a grip boy!
January 22nd, 2005 10:18 AM
egon live licks is sacd, so guess the new one will be ass well.

the sound of the remasters is indeed great, but if it really makes a difference in new recordings... the quality nowaydays is very good anyway. (sacd or not)
January 22nd, 2005 11:21 AM
Some Guy new album? ... tell me more.
January 22nd, 2005 11:32 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
new album? ... tell me more.

To make the long story short, the Stones (MJ, KR & CW) made the initial studio sessions last November in France, for the very first time in yeard (decades) Mick and Keith are composing together, normally MJ and KR made a pre-work and then work them out in the studio, now they are composing together!! They will be back in the studio, now in the USA (probably NYC) to finish the album, now RW will be there

Probably they will make a post-production later to kick a tour off early in September.

This will be the first album since 1997 (Bridges to Babylon)

As far as I remember the sessions who gave us the 4 new tracks in "40 Licks" won't give any track to the new album (?)

January 22nd, 2005 12:05 PM
T&A Live Licks an SACD? That's news to me! BTW, it's not.
January 22nd, 2005 12:48 PM
Madafaka I think that could be possible. Mick is a tec lover.
January 22nd, 2005 01:53 PM
Gazza Personally I think they'll only release it on cassette and 8-track cartridges
January 22nd, 2005 02:45 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
T&A wrote:
Live Licks an SACD? That's news to me! BTW, it's not.

i was gonna ask for a link to buy that. i didnt think this was the case...

40 licks was an sacd release...

the REAL question is...

when will the rolling stones records catalog be given the sacd treatment..?
January 22nd, 2005 02:47 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

It was? Can I ask where you got an SACD version of that?
January 22nd, 2005 06:44 PM
wgwalsh Goats Head Soup on SACD would be quite interesting.
January 22nd, 2005 09:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

i was gonna ask for a link to buy that. i didnt think this was the case...

the REAL question is...

when will the rolling stones records catalog be given the sacd treatment..?

probably if they sign a new deal with another company - as it will give them another excuse to repackage the back catalogue like Virgin did
January 23rd, 2005 04:44 AM
egon
quote:
T&A wrote:
Live Licks an SACD? That's news to me! BTW, it's not.

you are right. i thought it was sacd cos it doesn't play in my car, but that has to do with the copy control.
sorry!
January 23rd, 2005 10:26 AM
T&A By the way - SACD's are dead (so are the competing format - DVD Audio). They are being weaned out of production in favor of two new competing formats - Blue Light (Sony) and HD-DVD. These both have expanded capacity. Sony is elimating its SACD line this year in favor of Blue Light. You'll be hearing lots more about this in the Fall, when a blitz of advertising will be hitting us. They are trying to work out a first candidate for the Sony format - looks like it might be the Beatles catalogue, which hasn't been marketed anew (excepting for last year's Capitol re-packaging) in almost 20 years.

I have a friend who works in the industry - you can trust me on this news. Hold onto your Dylan and Stones SACDs - they will soon be collector's items.

[Edited by T&A]
January 23rd, 2005 02:22 PM
mac_daddy hmmm - i might be wrong about 40 licks. i have looked around the web, and see nothing confirming that it is a hybrid CD release. i do not own it. i assumed it was an sacd, as it was released at the same time as all the hybrid sacd's were, and i just figured that it would be. so snappy mcj - i do not have a link for you, and dont know for sure if it is available as an sacd hybrid. sorry for the confusion...

but i know LL was not released as an SACD.
January 23rd, 2005 04:48 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
T&A wrote:
By the way - SACD's are dead (so are the competing format - DVD Audio). They are being weaned out of production in favor of two new competing formats - Blue Light (Sony) and HD-DVD. These both have expanded capacity. Sony is elimating its SACD line this year in favor of Blue Light. You'll be hearing lots more about this in the Fall, when a blitz of advertising will be hitting us. They are trying to work out a first candidate for the Sony format - looks like it might be the Beatles catalogue, which hasn't been marketed anew (excepting for last year's Capitol re-packaging) in almost 20 years.

Don't forget about DualDisc -- Album on one side, 5.1 on other side plus DVD content.
January 24th, 2005 07:54 PM
corgi37 SACD nearly took off here. It was getting close, but lack of titles killed it off. Players are too expensive. Same thing happened to Super VHS and Laser disc. None of them caught on here.

Per capita, Australia is the highest uptake of dvd's in the world. We saw the leap from VHS to dvd was so good, we embraced it. We couldnt see the difference between super VHS that would justify spending $1,00 on a new machine, on tapes you couldnt buy anyway.

Dvd will be dead in 5 years, probably. If the major players could agree on a standard, it would be dead and replaced now. This super-bit dvd thing i have seen on the net and in imported Yank hi-fi mags i read, simply is not readily available here in Oz. Again, the difference from standard dvd does not justify spending $1,000 on new equipment.

In fact, raising my fingers to my temples, i will predict this.

15 years from now.

All the major record companies are 1. Sony-Universal-EMI-VIRGIN holdings, or whatever.

They run the lot. Music production. Hardware production. Every 5 years, a new product will be released, incompatable with what preceded it. So, around 2020, we'll have to replace our 22.1 surround version of Sticky Fingers with the 23.1 version, complete with holograph display film clips, interviews, concert footage of songs about/from the album.

By then, i'll be too old to give a shit.
January 24th, 2005 09:06 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
SACD nearly took off here.

Here the format is unknown for about 101% of the country...
January 24th, 2005 10:47 PM
corgi37 My mate just recently spent a fortune on a SACD player. Just to play Dark side of the moon. I went there not long ago. It was ok but a bit of a gimmick to be honest. If there was any amazing new detail, i bloody missed it. Stereo is ok with me, though 5.1 is ok. I just prefer 5.1 for dvds.

January 25th, 2005 02:33 AM
IanBillen
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
My mate just recently spent a fortune on a SACD player. Just to play Dark side of the moon. I went there not long ago. It was ok but a bit of a gimmick to be honest. If there was any amazing new detail, i bloody missed it. Stereo is ok with me, though 5.1 is ok. I just prefer 5.1 for dvds.

SA-CD sound quality is really evident if you have decent speakers. Love in Vain is truly exceptional. The sound is very "live" sounding. There is also more warmth in SA-CD. And the seperation of the instruments is fantastic. My friend (who is very hard to impress) put it best by saying it is almost scientific sounding some-how.

Ian
January 25th, 2005 07:50 AM
egon doesn't matter how many different formats there are.
more and more dvd players handle every sound & image format there is.

so when you are ready to buy a new cd/dvd player, get the one that has everything on it.

aftefr that no need to think; put in the dvd/cd and it play whatever sound/image is on there.
January 25th, 2005 09:03 AM
gimmekeef Gee..now I can hardly wait to re-buy all my Stones in this new Blue Light format........
January 26th, 2005 05:51 AM
IanBillen
Does Blue Light provide better sound quality? Or just more data?

Ian
January 26th, 2005 08:03 AM
T&A both
January 26th, 2005 10:45 AM
egon more money...
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood