ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the Brazilian leg of the tour 10 years ago today
Estadio Maracaná - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - February 4, 1995
© and thanks to Jair "Coca Buena" Mota
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Listen samples Hubert Sumlin's "About Them Shoes" Return to archive
January 18th, 2005 08:48 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

Hubert samples before the official release next Tuesday

Still a Fool with Keith Richards

Little Girl, This Is The End again with Keith

You can order it HERE
January 18th, 2005 08:58 PM
time is on my side Thanks for the samples. They really sounded great (in fact it put me in the mood to listen to some Muddy Waters which I think I'm going to do right now)

[Edited by time is on my side]
January 18th, 2005 09:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl You're welcome!

January 18th, 2005 09:49 PM
CS
January 18th, 2005 10:23 PM
Tom Thanks for the tracks Voodoo can't wait to buy it, Keef sounds so good
January 19th, 2005 07:00 AM
Nellcote Thanks Voodoo!
Seems like an eternity that this disc was to come out..
Here's a All Music Guide review of it which came out a while ago...

Review by Joe Viglione
Hubert Sumlin's About Them Shoes is a refreshingly pure blues recording which comes at a time when others are distorting the genre with various "contemporary" elements. The songs are from the repertoire of Muddy Waters — seven tunes written by Waters (McKinley Morganfield), four by Willie Dixon, one from Carl C. Wright, and a beauty by Sumlin to close things out. Dixon's "I'm Ready" starts things off with Eric Clapton on lead guitar and vocals, the drums of Levon Helm, and Paul Oscher's oozing harmonica filling in nicely with David Maxwell's piano. It's bouncy and shows a side of Clapton not often present on his own albums. Sumlin's lead is tasty, giving way to Oscher's equally gritty wail. Waters' own "Still a Fool" has Keith Richards on lead vocals and sharing the guitar chores with Sumlin. It's got that Rolling Stones-ish ragged edge that producer Rob Fraboni knows so well; Fraboni's guiding hand never gets in the way of the musical process that flows across the CD. James Cotton's harp comes in to spice up "She's Into Something," which features percussionist George Recile on lead vocals and Helm back on the skins. Helm plays drums on eight of the 13 tracks, Recile on four, with the final number, Hubert Sumlin's only original, "Little Girl, This Is the End," closing the set without percussion. "Little Girl" features a charming interplay between Keith Richards and Sumlin's guitars, while Paul Nowinski adds a full-bottom bass to round things out. It's Sumlin's only

vocal contribution to the disc, and that voice swims in Fraboni's mix of upfront guitars. This particular song was premiered on Holly Harris' Blues on Sunday program on December 15, 2002, a few months before the album's release, and played next to the remastered "Love in Vain" from Let It Bleed, one could see why the distinctive Richards style is such an important component of the Rolling Stones' success. The two Keith Richards tracks as well as the two contributions from Clapton will get immediate attention, and they do not disappoint, but Blondie Chaplin's vocal on "Look What You've Done" as well as Paul Oscher's on "Come Home Baby" deserve to not get lost in the shuffle. Nathaniel Peterson and George Recile also get to take the mic (with David Johansen about to add some vocals at press time), but none of the changing voices disrupt the vibe or take away from the fun. These blues aren't sad, they are charging, energetic performances from musicians who catch the groove and drive it for all it's worth. Maxwell's piano on Waters' "Come Home Baby" adds frills behind the guitars of Sumlin and Bob Margolin, while Oscher's harmonica just screams. It's a stunning blend of tension and dynamite, and one of the disc's highlights. About Them Shoes could have taken the marquee talent and gone for a glitzy platform to bring Hubert Sumlin into the mainstream. Instead, they dive headfirst into what this music is all about, and in doing so have come up with a mini-masterpiece. It's one of those records that can run endlessly in the CD player and keep entertaining. Hopefully it will expand the audience of this deserving virtuoso.

January 19th, 2005 08:26 AM
CS The press release from http://www.hubertsumlinblues.com/

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NOVEMBER 8, 2004

TONE-COOL/ARTEMIS RECORDS TO RELEASE BLUES GUITAR
LEGEND HUBERT SUMLIN’S “ABOUT THEM SHOES” JANUARY 25TH;
NEW ALBUM FEATURES GUEST PERFORMANCES BY KEITH
RICHARDS, ERIC CLAPTON, DAVID JOHANSEN AND MORE

On January 25th, 2005, Tone-Cool/Artemis Records will release ABOUT THEM SHOES, the new album from blues guitar legend Hubert Sumlin. Sumlin is joined by special guests Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, David Johansen, harmonica legend James Cotton and The Band’s Levon Helm. Produced by Rob Fraboni, the album is a loving tribute to Muddy Waters and contains seven songs from Waters, four from Willie Dixon (written for Waters), one from Carl C. Wright and one from Sumlin himself.

Tone-Cool President Richard Rosenblatt commented, “We are thrilled to be working with Hubert Sumlin, a man I’ve been proud to call both a friend and personal hero for more than twenty-five years. Hubert’s gentle good humor and deep humility often belie the fact that he is one of the true geniuses of modern blues, but his long and impressive list of admirers makes it obvious that his strong influence has been felt far beyond any one genre”.

Sumlin began his career playing with James Cotton before being drafted into Howlin’ Wolf’s band as lead guitarist in 1954. He played with Howlin’ Wolf for over 25 years until Wolf’s passing. During that time, he also served a stint as Muddy Waters’ lead guitarist. In that time he helped forge the sound of postwar blues and influenced a whole new generation of guitarists including Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page. Page said, “Hubert Sumlin is one important person…I love Hubert. And what a complement he was to Howlin’ Wolf’s voice. He always played the right thing at the right time. Perfect.”

Rolling Stone recently included Sumlin in their list of 100 Greatest Guitarists. Sumlin is featured in the new Martin Scorcese/Antoine Fuqua blues performance film, “Lightning In A Bottle”. The film documents the Year of the Blues concert that took place on February 7th, 2003 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. Sumlin can also be seen on the current Rhino DVD release of Eric Clapton’s Crossroads Festival. In March, Back Beat Books will publish a Hubert Sumlin biography by Will Romano, entitled Incurable Blues.

ABOUT THEM SHOES track listing:

1. I’m Ready (featuring Eric Clapton)
2. Still A Fool (featuring Keith Richards)
3. She’s Into Something
4. Iodine In My Coffee
5. Look What You’ve Done
6. Come Home Baby
7. Evil
8. Long Distance Call (featuring Eric Clapton)
9. The Same Thing (featuring David Johansen)
10. Don’t Go Further
11. I Love The Life I Live, I Live The Life I Love
12. Walkin’ Through The Park (featuring David Johansen)
13. Liitle Girl, This Is The End (featuring Keith Richards)

For more information, please contact:
Carise Yatter/Artemis Records
212-433-1810 or [email protected]

###

January 19th, 2005 08:47 AM
Monkey Woman Great stuff! Am I the only one thinking that Keith should sing "Still a fool" during his set, next tour? Great stuff for a club show, anyway! Please, Stones, hear my plea!!!
January 19th, 2005 01:04 PM
muddy I got an advance copy of this record, and it's great.
Highly recommended.
January 19th, 2005 01:34 PM
jb It's O.K.
January 19th, 2005 02:52 PM
Lavendar I need some REDS!
January 25th, 2005 07:55 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Today is out
January 25th, 2005 08:50 PM
Soldatti Thanks Gerardo!
January 25th, 2005 09:38 PM
CS
January 25th, 2005 09:39 PM
CS Editorial Reviews

Hubert Sumlin's famed for the shimmying riffs he laid all over classic Howlin' Wolf songs like "Killing Floor" and "Shake for Me," yet this excellent disc--which teams the 73-year-old firebrand with pals Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, James Cotton, Bob Margolin, and a host of other veterans--is a rocking, soulful tribute to another of his employers, Muddy Waters. Clapton bites into the licks and lyrics of Waters's "I'm Ready" and "Long-Distance Call," joining Sumlin in a passionate séance that raises the great spirits of '50s Chicago blues. Richards and Sumlin have an insouciant rapport that makes the stark "Still a Fool" and "Little Girl, This Is the End" sound like late-night conversations between lost, lonely hearts. But the real star is Sumlin, whose string sliding, deep tone, dizzy vibrato, acrobatic note bending, and tense, wily phrasing still sound as entirely original and vigorous as they did nearly a half-century ago. Buy this album--now.

--Ted Drozdowski
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood