ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the Brazilian leg of the tour 10 years ago today
Estadio Maracaná - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - February 4, 1995
© and thanks to Jair "Coca Buena" Mota
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick at Golden Globes Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
January 17th, 2005 11:31 AM
jb
quote:
egon wrote:
it's mick & ringo star!

Dave Stewart..another twat Mick hangs out with,...no wonder why his songwriting has gone downhill!!!!
January 17th, 2005 11:42 AM
Moonisup why is Dave wearing black nail polish?
January 17th, 2005 11:45 AM
jb
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
why is Dave wearing black nail polish?

Rik...please expalin Holland, Netherlands, and Dutch Antilles? Thanks!
January 17th, 2005 11:54 AM
Moonisup
quote:
jb wrote:
Rik...please expalin Holland, Netherlands, and Dutch Antilles? Thanks!

Holland is Holland, almost the same as The Netherlands

the Netherlands = holland + Dutch Antilles

Dutch Antilles = a drug colony, haha
January 17th, 2005 11:54 AM
jb Thanks!!!!
January 17th, 2005 12:27 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks!!!!

jb can you explain the relationship between the Jewish religion and Kabbalah?
January 17th, 2005 01:32 PM
Monkey Woman Mick and Orlando Bloom last night at the CAA Pre Golden Globe Party:

From Hello Magazine

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
January 17th, 2005 01:39 PM
IanBillen I seen the Mick Golden Globe interview.
-Mick says he keeps in shape by dancing and going to the gym.
-Mick says Mryle Streep movie The Aviator was a very good movie.
-Mick says he has been writing songs for the new album since November. He went on to say the writing has been some on his own, and some with Keith and Charlie and says they have been working on Demo's. Mick says The new CD and Stones action is his main "thrust"(says it kind of enthusiastically) for this year.
Oh yes. He was asked when the new album is coming out and he said he didn't want to put a dead-line on it or anything. He wasn't really too concerned about getting it out. He was more concerned it seemed on doing it good at this point. That is good news.
Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
January 17th, 2005 01:45 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
seclusion wrote:
Hey, MonkeyWoman... would you mind if I "save as" some of Mick photos above? If not, that's cool... I'm just being lazy lol.

Go ahead! I just found the pics on the Net.
January 17th, 2005 01:48 PM
Monkey Woman More Mick & Dave at the Golden Globes Awards:

Nice suit, Mick. I love those close-fitting trousers...
January 17th, 2005 02:15 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well, if all they have done is some demos, there won't be an album this year. I mean, they haven't even hit the studio to record in earnest. And it sounds like they are still in the writing process to me.

New album spring 2006, with tour to follow in the summer.

That's my best guess. That's OK, I can wait.
January 17th, 2005 02:21 PM
iluvmickjagger07 damn i didnt get to see it. is it just me or does mick even look hotter? CONGRATS TO BEAUTIFUL SIR MICK!!! i knew he would win. YAYYYY!!WOO HOOO!!!!!
January 17th, 2005 03:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
THe goaltender for Manchester United is an American!!!! He is a true hero !!!!

"Goalkeeper". And the connection with the Stones is...what?
January 17th, 2005 04:54 PM
Gazza For those of you in the UK, the ceremony has just started on Living TV (9.30 - 11.30 pm)
January 17th, 2005 06:04 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Well, if all they have done is some demos, there won't be an album this year. I mean, they haven't even hit the studio to record in earnest. And it sounds like they are still in the writing process to me.

New album spring 2006, with tour to follow in the summer.

That's my best guess. That's OK, I can wait.

-No way Sir Stonsealot-

The recording part will only be a few months once all the songs are written and ready to go. Secondly I think our Mick isn't telling us the whole story. Also they are probably booking touring companies and things like that about now.
The album will be out this year, Unless God Forbid: health issues arise or this whole thing falls apart.

Ian
January 17th, 2005 06:18 PM
corgi37 Mick's hair is pretty dated, dont ya'll think? I mean, the dye job is ok, but its styled like 81! Better than 89 though. I love the suit.

I wouldnt worry too much about the influence of Jews though. They are on the way out. It's the era of the Aussie that is fast approaching! My fellow country men had a Aussie only soiree the night before the globes. Mel was there. Nicole. Geoffrey Rush (congrats, fellow Melbournite). Kate Blanchett. Olivia. Delta Goodrem. Julian McMahon and his mum (she was the wife of one of our Prime Ministers in the 70's. The dress she wore to the awards was the same amazing dress she wore when she and the Prime Minister met Nixon in 72). I think Naomi Watts might have missed the do. Simon Baker was there (he's just finished the much anticipated zombie film Land of the dead, directed by the legendary George A Romero).

You Yanks dont stand a chance from our onslaught! We'll be nice to you though, as you helped us out in WW2.

And you made ET.
January 17th, 2005 06:47 PM
Soldatti I can't believe it, I returned today and the first news that I saw was this.
Congratulations Mick.
January 17th, 2005 07:55 PM
LadyJane I just read on Shidoobee that Bravo is replaying the Globes show Saturday (01/22) at 8 Eastern and 11 Eastern. Just thought I'd pass that along.

LJ.
January 17th, 2005 07:58 PM
Madafaka Did Mick sing during the awards?
January 17th, 2005 08:22 PM
Jaxx i was fortunate enought to catch some mick shots as well as the announcing of the award--even tho i wasn't really watching "the show". they were up against some pretty tough competition. i agree w/luxxy that mick's hair looks better long. i loved his eighties look. and the black was quite dapper. i especially loved the comment thanking the folks at paramount--those that still had a job. they panned the audience and alot of those actors let their jaws drop. stunning moment. congrats to jagger/stewart on their globe.
January 17th, 2005 08:26 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Did Mick sing during the awards?

No...
January 17th, 2005 10:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hi Ian.

>The recording part will only be a few months once all the songs are written and ready to go.<

Wait, are you talking about some Rolling Stones from a different dimension or alternate universe or something?

The new improved modern Rolling Stones don't record a record in "a few months". It's a 6 month process, and that's even if everything is well rehearsed. As it stands now, they are still in the writing/demo phase. Just the writing/demo phase will be another 3 months AT LEAST. A month of rehearsals, another 4-6 months recording, and at least another 3-6 months post production, 2 more months for pre-release hype, and I think I'm being pretty optimistic in those time frames....puts delivery of a new album at spring 2006. The timeline makes sense.

>Secondly I think our Mick isn't telling us the whole story.<

Well, in that we agree. I think Mick is trying to paint as rosey a picture as is possible, and in that I don't blame him. The truth is conjecture at this point. What he means by saying they are writing and demoing songs is....they aren't ready to record yet. You can read what you like into what he says, but one thing he has NOT said is...The Rolling Stones are currently recording the new album, expect it in stores this fall. Hell man, they haven't even picked a producer yet....and just THAT could take months.

>Also they are probably booking touring companies and things like that about now.<

I highly doubt that. That would be like buying a box of Trojan's before you have a date for the evening. They haven't even got the songs done yet, and they're already booking? Highly unlikely.

>The album will be out this year, Unless God Forbid: health issues arise or this whole thing falls apart.<

The health issues are already why the album WON'T be out this year. Charlie's cancer and treatments put everything behind schedule from before the beginning. And from what I understand, Ronnie has been, and still is, struggling with health issues as well. This will slow down the whole process. This is another reason why the recording will take more than "a few months" to do. Charlie and Ronnie will simply be unable to physically stay at the studio for hours at a time. And to expect either one of them to be up to the rigors of a world tour THIS YEAR, is simply unreasonable.

Hey look, if you people want to get yourselves all in a tizzy about a new album a full year in advance, that's cool with me. And trust me, NOBODY wants a new album this year worse than I do. But with nothing in the can, and Jan. already pretty much gone, and no recording sessions in sight....I don't see how it's possible. It's just not a realistic expectation.

Sorry. Sometimes reality sucks.

But 2006 is looking like a mighty fine year.
January 17th, 2005 10:33 PM
Taptrick

Mick's Hair: I agree I think he looks much more Rock n' Roll with the long hair. Its a little thinner around the temples but he could still pull this off for this next tour:

Who cares what the trend is - Mick should set the trend. And then after this tour I think it would be cool to see the gray come out, maybe some facial hair and just settle into elder bluesmen roles as the approach their 70s.
January 17th, 2005 10:53 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
jb wrote:
Sad,Sad, Sad.....while Mick looked very good, was his charming self, and clearly the coolest guy in the audience, this only further shows how detached from the Stones and his fans he has become.

C'mon JB!!!
He was just putting on his 'Hollywood' Mick!!!
He left an interview on the red carpet with haste....
NO ONE referred to him as the 'proper' SIR Mick Jagger!!!!

Do you think that Macca would have let them get away with that????????????????
January 17th, 2005 11:01 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Hi Ian.

>The recording part will only be a few months once all the songs are written and ready to go.<

Wait, are you talking about some Rolling Stones from a different dimension or alternate universe or something?

The new improved modern Rolling Stones don't record a record in "a few months". It's a 6 month process, and that's even if everything is well rehearsed. As it stands now, they are still in the writing/demo phase. Just the writing/demo phase will be another 3 months AT LEAST. A month of rehearsals, another 4-6 months recording, and at least another 3-6 months post production, 2 more months for pre-release hype, and I think I'm being pretty optimistic in those time frames....puts delivery of a new album at spring 2006. The timeline makes sense.

>Secondly I think our Mick isn't telling us the whole story.<

Well, in that we agree. I think Mick is trying to paint as rosey a picture as is possible, and in that I don't blame him. The truth is conjecture at this point. What he means by saying they are writing and demoing songs is....they aren't ready to record yet. You can read what you like into what he says, but one thing he has NOT said is...The Rolling Stones are currently recording the new album, expect it in stores this fall. Hell man, they haven't even picked a producer yet....and just THAT could take months.

>Also they are probably booking touring companies and things like that about now.<

I highly doubt that. That would be like buying a box of Trojan's before you have a date for the evening. They haven't even got the songs done yet, and they're already booking? Highly unlikely.

>The album will be out this year, Unless God Forbid: health issues arise or this whole thing falls apart.<

The health issues are already why the album WON'T be out this year. Charlie's cancer and treatments put everything behind schedule from before the beginning. And from what I understand, Ronnie has been, and still is, struggling with health issues as well. This will slow down the whole process. This is another reason why the recording will take more than "a few months" to do. Charlie and Ronnie will simply be unable to physically stay at the studio for hours at a time. And to expect either one of them to be up to the rigors of a world tour THIS YEAR, is simply unreasonable.

Hey look, if you people want to get yourselves all in a tizzy about a new album a full year in advance, that's cool with me. And trust me, NOBODY wants a new album this year worse than I do. But with nothing in the can, and Jan. already pretty much gone, and no recording sessions in sight....I don't see how it's possible. It's just not a realistic expectation.

Sorry. Sometimes reality sucks.

But 2006 is looking like a mighty fine year.

Hello Sir Stones-Alot,
Good to see you on the board. Actually a producer has already been picked a long time ago and has worked with them on the songs already. It is Don Was. This is very factual.

*Sir Stones alot, to say the Stones have nothing in the can on this one is an incredible over-site. The Rolling Stones have more songs in the can on this album than any in 25 years. They have been writing and recording for two and a half years on and off. They even were writing and recording all during the Licks tour. "Even in hotel Rooms" according to Keith....Then there we're the Paris session that occured before it in which Don Was indicated material from such may or may not be used. Don Was said the Stones we're averaging four newly written songs a day. They have LOADS of material for this one. Believe it. Considerably more than probably any album....Well I guess I'll have to use the old catch phrase here...."since Some Girls" . And that is realistically.

I think you are being overly pecimistic here. They have much more invested in this project than you may think. And they have been working this thing up for two years now. They have already begun recording for this album according to Don Was. Look for an album out this year. Mark my words. If they do not get one out this year you can definately call me on it. I am that sure of it.

Ian
January 18th, 2005 12:04 AM
Sir Stonesalot Ian,

There is a huge difference between a finished product, completed mixed songs, being "in the can"...than the rough recordings that have been worked on over the last 2 years. There was a reason that there was a 40 Licks with only 4 new songs, instead of a complete new album. And that reason was that there was not enough usable material for a full album. One good song, 2 average songs, and one borderline piece of shit, out of all those supposed 4 new songs a day....if that was the best those sessions produced, then I hope to hell they DON'T use anything else from those sessions. Start from scratch and write something GOOD. And if there was already so much usable material available, why is Mick still talking about writing and demos? He said that they were writing and getting ready to record. Future tense on the recording part. So, no, I don't think they have anything that will be on the next album "in the can" yet.

As for Don Was being the producer, they may indeed go with him again...but I have seen no member of the Stones say that Don Was was THE guy for the new album. In fact, I have seen at least 3 other names mentioned, including Daniel Lanois. This is NOT a done deal, and if you think it is, then you have deluded yourself...or maybe Don Was is deluding himself! Don Was produced some demos, some rough sketches, nothing more. That stuff does not count as "in the can". Knowing Mick, I would expect to see him bring in several "in" producers on this project. Another hodge-podge of producers. I thought it weakened B2B, but I'll bet they do it again. For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't just do it themselves. They are capable...and who knows better about how the songs should sound than the guys who wrote them?

Lastly, I'm a realist. I know, and understand the process of recording a major album. A new Stones album will take at least a year once recording starts. That is just how it is. Six months to rehearse and record, six months to edit, mix, and manufacture. Understanding the health issues of Charlie and Woody, as well as the fact that they don't even have all the material written yet, let alone rehearsed and recorded, leads me to believe that a new album released this year is highly improbable. If they started recording, in earnest, tomorrow, it would be pushing it to get it out to the stores before Christmas.

Would you care to wager on this?
January 18th, 2005 12:05 AM
corgi37 Aw, come on, IanBillan. You dont beleive any of that shit do you? The Stones have nothing "in the can". Nothing that is good, anyway. Only crap like the 4 extra songs on 40 licks. If so, if there is truck loads of songs since 2002, then explain me this.

Why was Live Licks released instead of new material???????

And, to great success i might add. Whats it up to now? 250,000?

Has Keith actually done anything new in 8 years? Not even a Winos release! Just guesting on others albums. Maybe Keith should ask Bill how to write a song?
January 18th, 2005 12:24 AM
Snappy McJack It only makes sense that the Stones do something in '06. It comes down to two factors: the new album and U2. And the U2 factor is important not only because of personnel, but competition.

I would think that the Stones would want to be the main attraction while out on the road, and touring around the time U2 tours would surely not bring max profit. I'm sure that the Stones and U2 could tour at the same time, but the market would be too congested, therefore making it harder to make what they want. I'm not so sure Mick and the guys would want to take that chance, since risk-taking isn't much of an obligation for them anymore.

However, they could just raise those ticket prices up a few notches and therefore reduce attendance, but I'm not so sure if that would work. I'm sure that they have lost some consumers because of their prices (yes, grosses are increasing, but only because of ticket prices, not increases in attendance), so going up even higher only benefits them if they are sure they'll get the attendence to cover what they need. And with the possibility of U2 touring at the same time as the Stones, the casual music fan may spend less money on a U2 ticket rather than forking over good coin to see the Stones.

It's possible that the Stones will lay low until the U2 tour comes to an end to give the market a break so that they can get people to fire up their credit and debit cards for another round of concerts, even if they do have an album prepared for release. And that would most likely be 2006.

So I concur with SS -- 2006 is the Stones year, most likely.
January 18th, 2005 12:36 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Gazza wrote:
If the Stones are Keith's only priority, Ian - then it wouldnt be too much to expect some more songs from him in that period. The notion that it's Keith who is holding the Stones together went out the window about 15 years ago.

Mick wrote most of the songs on BTB (and most of the good ones at that) and 3 out of the 4 new songs on 40 Licks. He's also done two solo albums in that time, so it's quite obvious that he still has some creativity. Keith's recorded output in the last decade consists of about 6 songs. If "Losing My Touch" is the sum of his creativity in the last 8 years, then it doesnt say very much, IMO.

There's not much point being the supposed heart & soul of the band if the masterpieces you're composing arent making it any further than your basement studio.

To be fair to Keith, he did a lot of guesting on other people's albums and shows recently: Willie Nelson, Toots & the Maytals, the Gram Parsons truibute... But I agree he seems more interested in playing old songs than in writing new ones. He said as much in an interview last month in a French music mag: he loves finding new nuances in songs he's played a thousand times already, there's always something new to learn. Of course all that doesn't give us a new Stones album...
January 18th, 2005 02:03 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Ian,

There is a huge difference between a finished product, completed mixed songs, being "in the can"...than the rough recordings that have been worked on over the last 2 years. There was a reason that there was a 40 Licks with only 4 new songs, instead of a complete new album. And that reason was that there was not enough usable material for a full album. One good song, 2 average songs, and one borderline piece of shit, out of all those supposed 4 new songs a day....if that was the best those sessions produced, then I hope to hell they DON'T use anything else from those sessions. Start from scratch and write something GOOD. And if there was already so much usable material available, why is Mick still talking about writing and demos? He said that they were writing and getting ready to record. Future tense on the recording part. So, no, I don't think they have anything that will be on the next album "in the can" yet.

As for Don Was being the producer, they may indeed go with him again...but I have seen no member of the Stones say that Don Was was THE guy for the new album. In fact, I have seen at least 3 other names mentioned, including Daniel Lanois. This is NOT a done deal, and if you think it is, then you have deluded yourself...or maybe Don Was is deluding himself! Don Was produced some demos, some rough sketches, nothing more. That stuff does not count as "in the can". Knowing Mick, I would expect to see him bring in several "in" producers on this project. Another hodge-podge of producers. I thought it weakened B2B, but I'll bet they do it again. For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't just do it themselves. They are capable...and who knows better about how the songs should sound than the guys who wrote them?

Lastly, I'm a realist. I know, and understand the process of recording a major album. A new Stones album will take at least a year once recording starts. That is just how it is. Six months to rehearse and record, six months to edit, mix, and manufacture. Understanding the health issues of Charlie and Woody, as well as the fact that they don't even have all the material written yet, let alone rehearsed and recorded, leads me to believe that a new album released this year is highly improbable. If they started recording, in earnest, tomorrow, it would be pushing it to get it out to the stores before Christmas.

Would you care to wager on this?

A Rolling Stones album can be done in 9 months from Start to finish if they get down to business. It has been done faster than that in the last 3 or four albums. Such as Steel Wheels. although they sounded a little trying and the naturalness of their sound did not have time to set in yet. Still an OK album though. Write the songs=A few Months or More
2. Record them=3-4 months 3. Mix them=two months 4. Master them=four to six weeks Then you have the art work and everything on the post production end which will be done when the mastering is.
I realize all that takes time just as you do. But I am telling you ....That alot of stuff is done in terms of the writing process. Now they will finish the strong recording aspect of it all for a few more months then the mixing. I am thinking we will have The album in summer or late summer.
And Don Was was there when they we're at Micks house in November. He will be on the project. That is when they we're writing four songs a day. When I hear in the can I think of something like Start Me Up in 1979-80. A song that is there just not totally finished or weeded out yet.

-Don Was recently stated it should be out this summer.
-Keith also recently stated their plans are to finish
recording the album and release it this spring actually.

Yes I will wager on that. No excuses. But what do you want to wager? ones and zero's? We are on the internet. I don't get it.
Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood