ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the Brazilian leg of the tour 10 years ago today
Estadio Maracaná - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - February 4, 1995
© and thanks to Jair "Coca Buena" Mota
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick at Golden Globes Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
January 17th, 2005 04:42 AM
Gazza >Not that I am complaining, and I am happy Mick got this award and all I suppose........ but again, just to answer your post maybe this is the very reason they really do need a slave driver. We would of had an album a long time ago if it were not for soundtracks, movies, and solo efforts by Mick Jagger in the first place. Sure he can have hobbies like anyone. Just next time take six months off from those hobbies and do an album with the Stones.

no, we'd have had an album years ago if Keith had any inspiration.

Mick has been active regularly for years. Keith hasnt.
January 17th, 2005 04:46 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Not that I am complaining, and I am happy Mick got this award and all I suppose........ but again, just to answer your post maybe this is the very reason they really do need a slave driver. We would of had an album a long time ago if it were not for soundtracks, movies, and solo efforts by Mick Jagger in the first place. Sure he can have hobbies like anyone. Just next time take six months off from those hobbies and do an album with the Stones.

no, we'd have had an album years ago if Keith had any inspiration.

Mick has been active regularly for years. Keith hasnt.

No way Gazza. Keith is the very Rolling Stone who ALWAYS keeps The Rolling Stones as top priority. The whole fued in the mid 80's with The Stones was because of Jaggers reluctance to tour and put the Stones first.

Ok can you answer what Mick commented about the new album in the interview for me? I am still at a loss here.

Ian

January 17th, 2005 05:06 AM
Gazza If the Stones are Keith's only priority, Ian - then it wouldnt be too much to expect some more songs from him in that period. The notion that it's Keith who is holding the Stones together went out the window about 15 years ago.

Mick wrote most of the songs on BTB (and most of the good ones at that) and 3 out of the 4 new songs on 40 Licks. He's also done two solo albums in that time, so it's quite obvious that he still has some creativity. Keith's recorded output in the last decade consists of about 6 songs. If "Losing My Touch" is the sum of his creativity in the last 8 years, then it doesnt say very much, IMO.

There's not much point being the supposed heart & soul of the band if the masterpieces you're composing arent making it any further than your basement studio.
January 17th, 2005 05:11 AM
Gazza >Ok can you answer what Mick commented about the new album in the interview for me? I am still at a loss here.
Ian

I didnt see the ceremony as it was past my bedtime and I only read that someone watching the pre-show on German TV had seen Mick interviewed.

It was only a hurried 30 second interview. He said he was busy writing songs for the new Stones album.
January 17th, 2005 05:29 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
If the Stones are Keith's only priority, Ian - then it wouldnt be too much to expect some more songs from him in that period. The notion that it's Keith who is holding the Stones together went out the window about 15 years ago.

Mick wrote most of the songs on BTB (and most of the good ones at that) and 3 out of the 4 new songs on 40 Licks. He's also done two solo albums in that time, so it's quite obvious that he still has some creativity. Keith's recorded output in the last decade consists of about 6 songs. If "Losing My Touch" is the sum of his creativity in the last 8 years, then it doesnt say very much, IMO.

There's not much point being the supposed heart & soul of the band if the masterpieces you're composing arent making it any further than your basement studio.

Well:
Not the Only priority Keith Gazza, the TOP priority.
The Stones had some creative differences on BTB. Keith didn't like the production style and Mick clearly stated he was not into doing Voodoo Lounge II so Keith let him have his way and do alot of the writing. I think Keith has a whole slew of Things in his basement sure. And you are very, very, right, what good is it doing any of us there. However I think Keith let Mick have his way with BTB just so they could tour and do an album. IMO This time we will see both of them in unison. Keith now realizes Mick has to have some freedom from The Stones. It was an unsaid agreement in their truce in 89. Mick does alot and Keith lets him do his gig nowadays....up to a point. Now Mick knows The Stones plans are inevitable with him sooner or later. In the mid 80's he kind of tried to have this attitude as if his any future plans may or may not include The Stones and or their entire exsistance for that matter. Now he knows it is inevitable and Keith is OK with that. Keith wanted to write more on the songs from the 2002 Paris session but he stated he could not do anything about it right now. So he would put them away and get back to them. IMO Keith is still the heart, Mick is the front Man, Ronnie is the glue, Charlie is the Engine and unsaid Chairmen for the band.
Ian
January 17th, 2005 05:47 AM
Gazza I'd think that Keith's relative inactivity in recent years (inlcuding no solo work in 12 years) means either of two things

1) he's completely lost his songwriting chops

or

2) the next Stones album will see a lot more of his songs and influence.

Hopefully the latter.
January 17th, 2005 06:32 AM
FotiniD Congratulations to our Mick and to Dave
January 17th, 2005 07:37 AM
montana more pix from last night

January 17th, 2005 07:40 AM
FotiniD Thanks for the pics Lour!
Now I wonder what Mick has done to himself again Is it the hair or something? I don't know, he looks different and way too good
January 17th, 2005 07:48 AM
corgi37 God damn my wife! She and her evil shrew of a mother and i were watching it. I went to the little boys room to finish the Stones book i got for xmas. Came out, and they said "its over", and they were watching the crime doco channel my wife just wont ever turn off.

So, i missed it. It was only when i turned the show back on and saw Robin Williams talking about Mick, Usher and the approaching apocalypse.

The bitches!

I missed it. Hopefully the show will be replayed on cable. In fact, i am sure it will.

Wonder if Dave Stewart is helping on the new Stones cd? Like , i mean, keith brings in Waddy for B2B. So Mick says "I raise you a Dave".

Keith says; "I see your Dave, and counter with a Steve Jordan".

Mick says: "All in for Lenny Kravitz".

At which Charlie spears them both with a well aimed, sharpened drum stick and declares: "listen my little singer and my little guitar player, there will be just the Stones on this cd".

Wouldnt love to have that!
January 17th, 2005 09:04 AM
gimmekeef Glad Mick won I guess...but did he have to hang with Flusher?
January 17th, 2005 09:11 AM
telecaster Various observations:

1. They call it the Wonder Bra because when the girl
takes it off you wonder where they went

2. Mick should hop on Lisa Marie, except Michael Jackson has been there so that is out

3. The Rolling Stones are now an afterthought for Mick
outside of being a money machine

Hope for him he gets what he always wanted: An Oscar
January 17th, 2005 09:17 AM
jb Sad,Sad, Sad.....while Mick looked very good, was his charming self, and clearly the coolest guy in the audience, this only further shows how detached from the Stones and his fans he has become.
January 17th, 2005 09:32 AM
charlotte disagree with you on this one jb, it's keith who has become detached, has not hit on jack shit for years...
January 17th, 2005 09:52 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Sad,Sad, Sad.....while Mick looked very good, was his charming self, and clearly the coolest guy in the audience, this only further shows how detached from the Stones and his fans he has become.

so effectively what you're saying is that the rest of the Stones and their audience look like shit, have no charm and are about as "cool" as Liberace
January 17th, 2005 09:59 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

so effectively what you're saying is that the rest of the Stones and their audience look like shit, have no charm and are about as "cool" as Liberace

THe goaltender for Manchester United is an American!!!! He is a true hero !!!!

-----------------------------
Rik is a great friend.
Bye SS!!!
January 17th, 2005 10:04 AM
charlotte (CBS) Chances are you have never heard of Tim Howard, and if you don’t follow a sport Americans call soccer, there is no reason you should know the name.

But to the rest of the world, which calls the sport football, Howard is the American goalkeeper for the most famous team in the world -- Manchester United of England.

So how did Howard become one of the best known Americans in international sports, while escaping the attention of his fellow countrymen?

The story has an almost fairy-tale quality to it, especially since Howard fights a daily battle with a neurological disorder called Tourette’s Syndrome. Despite his talent and his confidence, and everything he’s overcome – he, too, still wonders how it all happened. Correspondent Steve Kroft reports. "Look, Manchester United, again, one of the biggest soccer clubs in the world, needed a goalkeeper. and they went out and got me," says Howard.

"You know, I think there's some other guys that, if you gave me the decision to make, I might have got some other guys."

But Manchester’s fans don’t want any other guy. In his first season, Howard was voted best goalkeeper in the Premier League, allowing just 47 goals in 44 matches, with 14 shutouts -- and helping the team to its first football association cup in five years.

"It’s incredible. When I first got there, I told people it was like traveling with a band of a rock stars. You go to a hotel in the middle of nowhere and there are people there," says Howard. "The city lives and sleeps for the team. It's incredible."

And it's never bigger than on Saturday afternoons, which is game day all over Europe.

"It's intense," says Howard. "You pull up to the stadium three hours beforehand, and you come inside and you can just hear it. You know, all the rustling. And it sounds like a thunderstorm."

As Howard and his teammates begin their pre-match warm-ups, the Manchester faithful warm up their vocal chords between pints at the pub, with a song for every player, including their American goalie.

"People here work all week just to come here on Saturday. They don't work all week for something else," says Howard. "They work hard, so they can come here for 90 minutes, and give everything they have."

Game day in Manchester is a tribal experience, a sea of red jerseys flowing towards the old Trafford Stadium on a river of beer. And, as Tim Howard is finding out, keeping the goal for Manchester United is not a job for the faint of heart. He is protecting the dreams of an entire football nation.

Is he becoming a star? "No, I think for me that is unhealthy," says Howard. "Right when you start to think that you’re somebody, that is when you get a transfer, when you start playing bad."

It is heady stuff for a 25-year-old "Yank" who spent the off-season living in total obscurity in Memphis, Tenn., with his wife Laura and their dog, Clayton. They are still able to walk down Beale Street totally unaccosted.

"It's great. It's quiet, it's easy living, which is important," he says. "[Not getting recognized] is always a good thing for me. … I don't feel the need to be seen, to be glorified in any way."

But like it or not, he gets all the glory anyone needs in Manchester. It's England's second largest city, with 7.5 million people in a metropolitan area that makes up the industrial heartland.

But the team's following is global. With fans in more than 125 countries, United is widely considered to be the most successful sports franchise in the world, valued by Forbes magazine at a billion dollars.

Its Scottish manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, was even knighted by the queen after bringing home a European championship, one more sign of just how seriously all of this is taken.

"There was another famous Scotsman called Bill Shankley who said, 'Football is not a matter of life and death. It's more important than that,'" says football journalist Peter Fitton, who has been covering Manchester United for the last 20 years. "That has been the ethos that's driven Alex Ferguson throughout his time at Manchester United."

Fitton says the one thing that the team had not been able to do was to find someone who could fill the shoes of retired goalkeeper Peter Schmeikel, the great Dane who played a huge role in championship seasons during the 1990s. He left in 1999.

"Then Alex tried a lot to get it right. An Italian, a Spaniard, an Australian, an Irishman," says Fitton. "There were six people he tried before he landed on Tim Howard."

At the time, Howard was the third-string goalie for the U.S. national team, and making $30,000 a year playing for the New Jersey Metro Stars in front of 20,000 people. But his size, quickness, and athleticism caught the eye of Manchester United.

A few months later, after watching Howard play for the U.S. team in a game against Mexico, Manchester United called back and offered him a contract.

Did he know what he was getting into? "I thought I did," says Howard, laughing. "After a year, I was sadly mistaken. It was bigger than I could have ever expected in every way. The magnitude of each game, the pressure in every training session, the responsibility that's put on you by the club, by yourself, by the players. It's bigger than you can expect in any aspect."

But acceptance has not come easily, because Howard suffers from something called Tourette's syndrome, a neurological disorder of the central nervous system that affects 1 in 2,500 people, causing involuntary tics, spasms and muscle twitches.

Howard says Manchester United knew he had Tourette's syndrome. "And the wonderful papers over in England dug some stuff up and wrote some stupid headlines," he says. "'Manchester United wants to sign retarded goalkeeper … swearing savior, because, you know, they thought everybody with Tourette's syndrome must curse or something ridiculous."

In rare cases, Tourette's syndrome can cause sudden verbal outbursts and swearing, but Howard doesn’t have those symptoms. He was diagnosed with Tourette's when he was 9 years old. His mom first noticed symptoms associated with obsessive-compulsive behavior, repeatedly counting and touching and straightening things. But early on, he refused to let the affliction over shadow his ambition -- and he has become an activist, trying to dispel the ignorance and myths about the disease.

Did it create problems in school? "Fortunately, I was a big kid. I was a pretty popular kid, and I participated in every sport," says Howard. "So, it was kind of, like, the only thing they could do was whisper it behind my back."

"I used to have a game I would play. I'd be ticking, or twitching, or doing something, and I could hear someone whisper, 'Watch Tim,'" adds Howard, who explains how he controlled his outbursts. "So right then, I'd turn it on and I'd make sure I didn't tic. And now, they were thinking the other person was crazy, because Tim looked, he was normal, you know?"

Was he controlling it now, during the interview? "I'm comfortable now. I'm OK. I think you'll see sometimes that I blink too much and I clear my throat," says Howard. "But you know, right now, I'm OK. It's at bay. It's being nice to me today."

He says it's difficult to control when he's nervous, stressed or anxious. So how does he control it while being a goalie for Manchester United? "Go figure," he says. "I know. That's the catch."

His job is the most stressful on the field, protecting a goal that is 24 foot wide and 8 feet high from curving 65-mile-an-hour shots by the best players in the world. He may touch the ball only four or five times during a 90-minute game. And when he does, his teammates and the fans are all holding their breaths.

"There are 11 guys on the field. When 10 of them gets beat, there's always someone else to help them out," says Howard. "When you get beat, there's not. It's just, that's it. You're the last line of defense."

"I think Manchester United had their concerns. I think they liked me as a player. They wanted to see me as a person. And they certainly wanted to see how much the syndrome affected me," says Howard. "They're making a multi-million-dollar investment. They wanted to see how it affected me, and yes, would that one goal cost them?"

How long did it take for him to win their confidence? "I don't know," he says, laughing. "I don't know if I won it yet. I don't know."

When 60 Minutes talked to him a few months later in Manchester, on the eve of United’s home opener, his Tourette’s symptoms were more pronounced. He has always refused to take medication for fear it might dull his senses and reflexes.

"It's just a battle of the will, your willpower versus what your mind is telling your body to do," says Howard. "And so it's about suppressing those physical movements, those vocalizations. It's tough to explain, I suppose."

But he says he can do it.

"If you told me to sit in a room, and you had a million dollars cash stacked right there and said, 'Don't move, don't twitch, don't do anything,' without a doubt, the million dollars would be mine," says Howard.

But what if somebody is coming toward him, preparing to fire a shot on goal?

"It just doesn't happen. They could be out there by midfield somewhere and I may have a twitch, a tic of the eyes, of the head, of the arm," he says.

"But when they get in there and it's time to go to work, it just doesn't happen. And maybe one day, it will. and maybe I'll get fired for that. I don't know. But I can deal with that, too. I'll just say something was in my eye."

But right now, there is no need to make excuses. Howard has the support of everyone in Manchester, and most importantly Ferguson, his manager.

"Not one inkling of trouble from him. His behavior patterns have been great. He never misses a training session," says Ferguson. "He wants to do well and I think people who really want to do well generally do well. And that’s a great attribute he’s got."

Has he come along faster than Ferguson thought he would?

"Oh yeah, he did. He's had his first season. The glamour part is over," says Ferguson. "What he did last season was showed his natural abilities. He now has to add to that, which, obviously, we're working on. And if he has all these things, he'll be a top goalkeeper."

Howard admits he's been playing pretty well, but says, "I think we can do better. There's no question about that. And certainly, I can do better. But I'd say for the most part, OK."

He hasn't been giving up a lot of goals. "One goal is too many here," he says, laughing. "I want a shut out."

© MMV, CBS Worldwide Inc. All Rights Reserved.

January 17th, 2005 10:07 AM
jb Thanks Charlotte!!!
January 17th, 2005 10:18 AM
luxury1 Oh yeah!! I caught it--I think the longer hair looks great on him. Is Dave Stewart really short, cus Mick looked so tall!! Mick was funny and witty. And Olive Oil did look pretty good herself. Maybe Mick bought her some titties?? But I do think LJ is right--wonderbra it must be. Jerry Hall always gets that same kind of cleavage going on, and we know she doesnt have fake ones.
January 17th, 2005 10:35 AM
telecaster
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Oh yeah!! I caught it--I think the longer hair looks great on him. Is Dave Stewart really short, cus Mick looked so tall!! Mick was funny and witty. And Olive Oil did look pretty good herself. Maybe Mick bought her some titties?? But I do think LJ is right--wonderbra it must be. Jerry Hall always gets that same kind of cleavage going on, and we know she doesnt have fake ones.

I say she looks more like Morticia Adams than Olive Oil,
at least in that dress

January 17th, 2005 10:39 AM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:

I say she looks more like Morticia Adams than Olive Oil,
at least in that dress

SWhe is a grotesque creature not worthy of Mick's affection....he should be banging one of those chicks on the 'OC".........................>
January 17th, 2005 10:45 AM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
SWhe is a grotesque creature not worthy of Mick's affection....he should be banging one of those chicks on the 'OC".........................>

I agree jb.

Did anyone notice that Robert Redford and Mick's faces are melting into one

They look the same now outside of the hair
January 17th, 2005 10:50 AM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:

I agree jb.

Did anyone notice that Robert Redford and Mick's faces are melting into one

They look the same now outside of the hair

Good observation....did you notice what a twat prince looked like...Mick must have been embarrassed to be in the same room as Prince, P. Diddy, Usher, etc...
January 17th, 2005 10:59 AM
LadyJane Mick was ultra cool, wasn't he? Did anyone notice the high five given THE MOGUL, Harvey Weinstein as Mick waltzed to the Stage??

I also observed several shots of Mick working the room during breaks.....most of the time chatting with the YOUNG ladies.

L'Wren aka Olive aka Morticia is a mystery to me. What does he see in her????

LJ.
January 17th, 2005 11:08 AM
telecaster
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Mick was ultra cool, wasn't he? Did anyone notice the high five given THE MOGUL, Harvey Weinstein as Mick waltzed to the Stage??

I also observed several shots of Mick working the room during breaks.....most of the time chatting with the YOUNG ladies.

L'Wren aka Olive aka Morticia is a mystery to me. What does he see in her????

LJ.

I missed most of it, it it going to be on again?

Harvey Weinstein? jb you Jews DOMINATE that business

BTW jb my brother spent last week at that hotel in Boca
that Huzienga just sold. Said it was nice but your weather sucked
January 17th, 2005 11:14 AM
jb Boca Hotel Resort and Spa is very nice..we had a lot of rainlast week and over the weekend....today 54 and sunny!!!
Weinstein is a powerhouse.....but as much power as we supposedly have, we could not stop Mel Gibson from spreading his hateful film the Passion...I hope he dies a horrible and painful death and is greeted in hell with all the other jew haters!!!-------------------------------------------------->
January 17th, 2005 11:17 AM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Boca Hotel Resort and Spa is very nice..we had a lot of rainlast week and over the weekend....today 54 and sunny!!!
Weinstein is a powerhouse.....but as much power as we supposedly have, we could not stop Mel Gibson from spreading his hateful film the Passion...I hope he dies a horrible and painful death and is greeted in hell with all the other jew haters!!!-------------------------------------------------->

Was Gibson even nominated for anything? I know it is the foreign press that runs this so I doubt it

January 17th, 2005 11:18 AM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Was Gibson even nominated for anything? I know it is the foreign press that runs this so I doubt it

No..but he and Moore won at the People's Choice awards..sort of appeasing both lefties and righties....
January 17th, 2005 11:28 AM
egon it's mick & ringo star!
January 17th, 2005 11:30 AM
telecaster http://usatoday.feedroom.com/ifr_main.jsp?st=1105979288044&rf=bm&mp=WMP&wmp=1&rm=1&cpf=true&fr=011705_112807_17d5d2ax1017e87fdeex4409&rdm=481963.5346216011

Video of Mick & co. last night

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood