ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1972 Peter Beard
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What would you prefer? Return to archive
01-25-04 10:21 AM
Flashpoint *Mick Taylor and/or Bill Wyman play on the next tour
*The Stones release a very very good album
*Drop the horn section for next tour
*Another wish
01-25-04 10:31 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Drop the *horn* section?

How about drop the *vocal* section and get a real piano?

In all seriousness...

make a good album. Please?

-tSYX --- Don't stop, beg ya, darlin', don't stop...
01-25-04 10:35 AM
Mr T Mick Taylor - yes please

no, wait - studio album (esp a really really good one). I loved Mick Taylor's playing in the 70's, but let the past be the past - its not like he can still do that

loose the horn section? why would anybody want that? its not like every song is saturated with horns - and the Stones best quality of their music is being able to add different instruments - I mean, what would Brown Sugar be with Ronnie's soloing?

Hell, I was happy just to see how much they didn't rely on backup this tour (you'd think as time goes on they'd be using it more as a crutch) - but here they relied on it much less than Babylon, so I don't see why you'd want too complain about it. Take the horns completely out & this band would've gotten boring just as long ago as Springsteen did (maybe that's what missing from the new material)
01-25-04 12:16 PM
Monkey Woman A new album, of course! New songs, a new tour, etc.
01-25-04 12:30 PM
Gimme Shelter Release a great album filled with blues and rockers.
01-25-04 01:35 PM
Gazza 1. Sensible ticket prices
2. no elitist and overpriced fan club packages. Give all fan club members a decent crack at good seats
3. A new studio album. Ideally a good one.
4. Random setlists, with less emphasis on greatest hits
5. No more stadium shows
6. The entire band being sober and able to perform consistently.
7. A workable system where hard to find tickets are not "mysteriously" all going to brokers,scalpers, package travel companies or members of the crew who sell them off to the highest bidder.
8. More blues.
9. Slave
10. A regular (but not overly demanding) touring schedule where the Stones continue as a working band and not one that doesnt exist for two years in between tours.
01-25-04 02:17 PM
quackenbush Great list, Gazza!
01-25-04 02:22 PM
Monkey Woman Outstanding thinking, Gazza! That program should satisfy the fans, especially the hard-core, long-standing, faithfull fans who have always defended the Stones against naysayers.
Points 1, 3, 6 and 10 are particularly necessary if the Stones want to stay what they are and not "go Vegas".
As a relatively new fan (I didn't follow their tours before Licks), I was impress by the energy and pleasure they bring to the scene. I didn't see a "nostalgy" act, or at least not only a nostalgy act, it was more like seeing history in the making. That's why I want to see them remain a live, strong, creative band.
But if there's no new album, where's creation? If the prices are too stiff and go only to the rich and often old segment of the market, how can they attract new fans? Or keep a large popular audience? And if they disappear for 2 or 3 years between outings, it's hard to keep a band alive.

But as long as the Stones come back soon, that they stay creative and don't charge too much, that's all we need. Oh yes, and mix the setlist a bit more!
Bill and/or Mick T would just be the cherry on top of the cake. And the horns are there from the beginning on several songs: Bitch, Rocks Off, Live With Me, Brown Sugar...

Of course, it all depends on how they feel like. You can't make a donkey drink if it's not thirsty!
(I hope I'm not mixing metaphors too much... I'm writing and translating at the same time.)
01-25-04 02:44 PM
Moonisup point 6, well I think that will never happen,
01-25-04 07:39 PM
littleredrooster Ticket prices for the masses....no Megashows in stadia......equal access for tix!!!!!

And YES bring Mick Taylor onstage for the classics!!!

Poor Freddy is not growing up very well, such a shame!
01-25-04 07:51 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
point 6, well I think that will never happen,

No. Neither will wish #2.
01-25-04 07:53 PM
Angiegirl Come to think of it, neither will #1 and #3.
Good list Gary, especially Slave . Couldn't agree with you more on all wishes.
01-25-04 08:30 PM
Phog I think it's high-time for a new album. We need some new tunes to groove with.
01-25-04 08:54 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
9. Slave

Well, rehearsing it will be a given...

Lots-o-harp.

01-26-04 04:18 PM
Some Guy The little kids in front of TRL in NY yelling to play the No 1 Stones video, that just beat out Beyonce. The Stones with the hottest album in all the land.
01-26-04 05:45 PM
Angiegirl Stop smoking the RO wallpaper Some Guy.
01-26-04 06:14 PM
glencar Great new album would be TOPS on my list.
01-26-04 06:37 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Stop smoking the RO wallpaper Some Guy.

Yeah that was some dumb shit there. But couldn't ya just see it?
01-26-04 06:42 PM
KeithRichards210 Mick Taylor. And yes he CAN play as well as ever.

Dump fuckin' Sideshow Bob and all the excess crap.

Fuck Chuck. Mac is still around, as is John Paul Jones.

Here's your lineup.
Mick Jagger
Keith Richards
Mick Taylor
Ron Wood
Charlie Watts
Bobby Keys
Mac or JPJ

Now get your asses in the studio. Now.
01-26-04 07:00 PM
jpenn11 I'll go with KR210's suggestion, but they should roll dice to figure out who plays bass:

Snake eyes: Keith plays bass
Box cars: Taylor plays bass
Anything else: Ronnie plays bass

They should roll the dice for every song every night.

Now that would be something new--but about as likely as those non-elitist ticket prices, and not even as good an idea.

(I think the line up with Wood on bass appeared in the John Phillips album for a song or two.)
01-26-04 08:27 PM
mickmask I think we would all be really blessed if there were a new album and I'd knight 'em all if they could do one more tour. Oh, yes and PLEASE.......blues..blues ...blues!!!!!!
01-26-04 10:42 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Yeah that was some dumb shit there. But couldn't ya just see it?

Lol, I could, it was a fun dream .
01-26-04 11:32 PM
BILL PERKS GAZZA GREAT IDEAS-WE NEED SLAVE!!!!!
A MORE GENERAL LOOSENESS TO SHOWS..LIKE THE OLYMPIA SHOW,SOUL OR BLUES TUNES,HOW BOUT AN INSTUMENTAL JAM TO REPLACE 1 KEEF SONG?DEFINITELY NEED NEW MATERIAL-DROP START ME UP-FOREVER..A RESIDENCY WHERE THEY PLAY A WEEK AT 1 THEATRE AND 1-2 ARENA SHOWS PER STOP.10 DAYS IN A CITY.FORGET ABOUT TOUR RECEIPTS AND FOCUS ON WHAT THEY LOVE TO DO AND WHAT WE LOVE TO SEE THEM DO.I THINK STADIUM SHOWS AT THIS POINT ARE JUST TO KEEP MICK HAPPY WITH THE PLANNING AND DESIGN OF PULLING OFF THE EVENT.

BEST VIEWED HIGH