ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1972 Peter Beard
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP Helmut Newton, Mick photographer Return to archive
01-24-04 12:35 PM
Monkey Woman Photographer Helmut Newton Dies in Accident

By ANTHONY BREZNICAN, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES - Helmut Newton was a trailblazer in the photography world, exploring power, gender roles and an icy sexuality in his pictures.

His work appeared in magazines such as Playboy, Elle and Vogue, but he was best known for his stark, black-and-white nude photos of women. Newton, whose subjects included Paloma Picasso, Pierre Cardin and Naomi Campbell, died Friday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after a car crash, police said. He was 83.

Newton apparently lost control of his Cadillac while leaving the famed Chateau Marmont hotel and crashed into a wall, said Officer April Harding, a police spokeswoman.

"He was a giant," said Playboy founder Hugh Hefner. "He was a major talent that pushed the boundaries in terms of photography and influenced many, many other photographers in following generations."

"He will be very much missed," Hefner added. "He will be missed."

It was unclear if Newton became ill while driving, authorities said.

The photographer, who was Jewish, was born in Germany to wealthy parents but fled his homeland at age 18 for Singapore in December 1938, a month after Nazi-led persecution programs began. He eventually settled in Australia and became a citizen, where he opened a small photography studio and changed his last name to Newton from Neustaedter.

Eventually he took up residence in Monte Carlo overlooking the Mediterranean, but spent winters in Los Angeles at the hotel.

In October, he donated more than 1,000 pictures to a new gallery in Berlin saying he was "proud" his work will now be on display in his hometown.

At the time, German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder called Newton's decision a "sign of reconciliation"

"You can chase a man out of his home but you can't rip his home out of his soul," Schroeder said in a letter read at the press conference announcing the donation.

Newton spent time in Paris as a young man, and made his breakthrough in 1961 shooting for French Vogue magazine.

While Newton also photographed clothed celebrities and nature scenes, he favored photographing strong, muscle-toned women, usually while they wore little more than high heels.

His trademark "Big Nudes" series featured larger-than-life, black and white images of women that portray them as dominating the camera rather than as subjects.

Newton is survived by his wife June, an artist who works under the name Alice Springs. They were married in 1948, and she was a favorite subject of his.

In one 1973 series of photos, she was portrayed as Hitler wearing a cropped mustache with model Jerry Hall posing as Eva Braun. Many of their images of each other turned up in the 1999 book "Us and Them."

The Newtons had no children. He raised that point in October, when he made the donation of some of his photographs to Berlin. While he made clear he was not ready to donate his entire archive, he suggested it would eventually go to the city.

"We don't have any children, so when we kick the bucket of course we'll leave them to Berlin," he said.

------------

Here's one of his portraits of Mick:

Helmut image added by Admin
[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
01-24-04 01:37 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff That's really sad sad sad...
He was one of the most photo-artist...his portraits of Mick are really wonderfull, all in B/W, but the work that Helmut was doing on the beauty of the women is great
. He just show the fetish-side of the woman, and I appreciated so much.
Thank you Helmut Newton for those art you gave me.
01-24-04 02:05 PM
caro Yes, that's sad news...
He also made some photos of Patti, I didn't find them on the web. He made her look like a blow-up doll -- rather disturbing, but funny.
I didn't like all of his stuff, but he sure had a glowing imagination.

01-24-04 02:10 PM
LadyJane Truly a great talent!!

I've been surfing for hours trying to find some of his Stones related work....coming up with nothing.

LJ.
01-24-04 02:17 PM
Monkey Woman Jerry Hall photographed by Helmut Newton in an ad for Opium (YSL):

01-24-04 02:20 PM
Monkey Woman And a pretty disturbing one, featuring Jerry also... (click on the link if you have a strong stomach!)

http://www.fotocolombia.com/boletin001/new7.htm
01-24-04 02:23 PM
Monkey Woman And a few classics:

01-24-04 04:29 PM
Factory Girl Hemut Newton was a genius. He was innovative and always pushed the envelope. He was one of me favorite fashionistas. RIP Mr. Newton.

PS. damn, this really sucks... I'm really sad.
01-24-04 05:38 PM
luxury1 Monkey Woman--thanks for posting this sad news.
My, you have almost single-handedly been keeping this board peppered with Stones news and photos!! Many thanks for your contributions.
01-24-04 07:09 PM
mac_daddy that alligator (crocodie?) one is my fave of his...

when I was younger, some of those tall nude women intimidated the hell outta me. come to think of it, they still kinda do...

R.I.P.
01-24-04 08:13 PM
mickmask Ok, baby, I'm a painter myself and I think I'm quite open about most artforms and mediums but the Jerry Hall/Guts shot .....just what the hell is that!!??
01-24-04 08:27 PM
mac_daddy

01-24-04 09:12 PM
mac_daddy dont know how I missed MW's link to the same photo...

the gun in mouth is disturbing, too, but that was all part of H's vision...

quote:
but the Jerry Hall/Guts shot .....just what the hell is that!!??

i think it is raw meat, which when applied to skin can reduce swelling (meat tenderizer on a bee sting, etc.)

01-25-04 10:15 AM
LadyJane The "gun in the mouth" is disturbing, but it hits home..for me anyway.

LJ.
01-25-04 06:35 PM
Factory Girl I think Helmut Newton's vision was beautiful. My dad was a photo-journalist, so I have some background in the field.

RIP papa. RIP Helmut Newton.
01-25-04 08:03 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Some Jaggers by Helmut

LOL, this one is like... don't know

01-25-04 10:42 PM
glencar Nice pics! RIP Mr. Newton.
01-26-04 09:04 AM
Jumacfly yes!! rip mr Newton...i love the one on the station...he had 2 lights on behind...

BEST VIEWED HIGH