ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1972 Peter Beard
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jack White news Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-15-04 07:50 AM
Factory Girl
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18094-2004Jan14.html
01-15-04 09:18 AM
SHINE A LIGHT the photo of white stripe-boy in my morning paper really looks a lot like michael jackson, not joking!!
01-15-04 09:35 AM
Factory Girl post the pic!
01-15-04 09:38 AM
SHINE A LIGHT don't know how to post a pic.......find it on the net....it's from today's globe and mail, review section.
01-15-04 09:46 AM
Factory Girl Shiney, copy & paste the article.
01-15-04 10:36 AM
SHINE A LIGHT sorry, do not know how to do that. at least i'm tellin' ya the truth here about my lacking in computer skills!!! isn't the globe and mail on the net????? if so, please find it, go to review, second page and then perhaps you know how to do this. i honestly am computer illiterate.
01-15-04 11:53 AM
mac_daddy White Stripes Lead Singer Pleads Innocent

By MIKE HOUSEHOLDER
The Associated Press
Thursday, January 15, 2004; 2:58 AM

DETROIT - White Stripes lead singer Jack White, who's accused of repeatedly punching the lead singer of another band in the face, pleaded innocent Wednesday to a misdemeanor aggravated assault charge.

White was ordered to stand trial on March 9.

The Dec. 13 fight between White and Von Bondies lead singer Jason Stollsteimer began shortly before midnight at the Majestic Theater Center, where both men were in the audience for another concert.

Stollsteimer, 25, of Detroit, told police that White punched him seven times in the face. Police said Stollsteimer's right eye was bruised and swollen, and he was bleeding from his nose.

White, also of Detroit, went to the police after the fight and gave a statement saying he struck Stollsteimer in self-defense.

White's attorney, Wally Piszczatowski, said he was satisfied with the hearing. "The court allowed Jack to travel for business purposes, obviously recognizing he is not a flight risk, or a danger to the community in any way," he said.

White faces punishment ranging from no jail time to a maximum of a year in prison and a $1,000 fine if convicted.

He and drummer Meg White, who make up the White Stripes, are nominated together for three Grammy Awards: album of the year and alternative music album for "Elephant," and best rock performance by a duo or group with vocal for "Seven Nation Army." The song also earned Jack White a solo nomination for best rock song.

White also has a small role as a singer in the film "Cold Mountain," starring Nicole Kidman, Jude Law and Renee Zellweger, which is in theaters now. He contributed a handful of songs to the soundtrack.
01-15-04 11:55 AM
mac_daddy
01-15-04 12:39 PM
Factory Girl Thank you, maccy.
01-15-04 02:08 PM
SHINE A LIGHT many thanks to mac_daddy for knowing how to do this!!!! BUT, this isn't the one from the globe.....this pic looks like jackson too.
01-15-04 02:14 PM
mac_daddy give me a link to the Globe. I will try to find it for ya...
01-15-04 02:16 PM
KeithRichards210 Gawd. That DOES look like Michael Jackson.
01-15-04 02:23 PM
glencar Is that a little boy between his legs?
01-15-04 02:23 PM
SHINE A LIGHT the one in the globe is MORE jacksonesque.......stripe has shoulder length hair.

mac_daddy you are so sweet, here's my truth......i don't even know how to "give you the link"....yes, pathetic, i admit, but i'm honest????
01-15-04 02:24 PM
Factory Girl That is his own hand. He's touching his monkey.
01-15-04 02:29 PM
mac_daddy the "http://...." address in the browser. that is the "link" I need.
01-15-04 02:33 PM
SHINE A LIGHT all they show in the paper is this:
globeandmail.com

hope it works. you are a real sweetie. thanks.
01-15-04 02:41 PM
mac_daddy no pics are up...

Jack White pleads not guilty
Associated Press

Detroit — White Stripes lead singer Jack White, who's accused of repeatedly punching the lead singer of another band in the face, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to a misdemeanour aggravated assault charge.

White was ordered to stand trial March 9.

The Dec. 13 fight between White and Von Bondies lead singer Jason Stollsteimer began shortly before midnight at the Majestic Theater Center. Both men were in the audience for another concert.

Stollsteimer, 25, of Detroit, told police that White punched him seven times in the face. Police said Stollsteimer's right eye was bruised and swollen, and he was bleeding from his nose.

White, also of Detroit, went to the police after the fight and gave a statement saying he struck Stollsteimer in self-defence.

White faces a maximum of a year in prison and a $1,000 fine if convicted.

White Stripes is nominated for three Grammy awards: album of the year and alternative music album for Elephant, and best rock performance by a duo or group with vocal for Seven Nation Army. The song also earned White a solo nomination for best rock song.

http://globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040114.wstripe0114/BNStory/Entertainment/?query=jack+white

[Edited by mac_daddy]
01-15-04 02:46 PM
SHINE A LIGHT mac_daddy....my hero, i even found it myself!!!!! but, the pic is only in the print edition on my doorstep!!! (it's worth runnin' out to the box and buy one....he's the twin brother of jackson.
[Edited by SHINE A LIGHT]
01-15-04 03:54 PM
Prodigal Son Well, his last name is White. He takes it to heart. As does the band, as everything they ever wear or play is coloured red and white. I thought with that look they should be called Santa's Candy Cane Band. Anyway, I like 'em, maybe too thin a sound for me to really rave (lack of bass, maybe).
01-15-04 04:12 PM
glencar But isn't his last name really something other than White? I just read that the other day.
01-15-04 05:14 PM
Sir Stonesalot Jack's real name is John Gillis.

The red and white thing came from one of the Stripes early singles(Italy Records Xmas 7"), "Candy Cane Children". This makes sense since it was recorded for a special christmas release.

The story that I heard goes something like this....

Shortly after recording this song, Meg painted her kick bass as a peppermint candy. Jack thought the image made complete sense in that peppermint candy has...you guessed it...white stripes. The red/white color scheme slowly worked it's way into their wardrobe and set dressings. The idea stuck and has become a sort of logo...represented on album cover art, and merchandise. Pretty much every promo shot or publicity spot has Jack & Meg all spiffed out in red & white. It's the band uniform. No, they don't wear that stuff when they are off duty. In fact, they dress pretty normal.

I see Jack looking more like Johnny Depp in "Edward Scissorhands", than like Jacko.
01-15-04 05:32 PM
UGot2Rollme why should anyone really care?
01-15-04 09:36 PM
parmeda Jack has a real 'knarly' look to him in person...he can pull it off and get away with it.
Animal magnetism at it's best!

01-15-04 10:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot >why should anyone really care?<

Gee. I don't know....maybe because we find the music of the White Stripes interesting? Maybe because we find the band members to be interesting? Maybe because we just DO?

Why do we care that you don't care?

Piss off fuckwit.
01-15-04 10:53 PM
FPM C10 Then there's the whole connection to the de Stijl movement in art, ergo the title of their (I think) second album.

de Stijl - An art movement advocating pure abstraction and simplicity -- form reduced to the rectangle and other geometric shapes, and color to the primary colors, along with black and white. Piet Mondrian (Netherlandish, 1872-1944) was the group's leading figure. He published a manifesto titled Neo-Plasticism in 1920. Another member, painter Theo van Doesberg (Netherlandish, 1883-1931) had started a journal named De Stijl in 1917, which continued publication until 1928, spreading the theories of the group, which also included the painter George Vantongerloo (Belgian,1886-1965), along with the architects J.J.P. Oud (1890-1963) and Gerrit Rietveld (Netherlandish, 1888-1965). Their work exerted tremendous influence on the Bauhaus and the International Style.

(pr. duh-stayl')

Piet Mondrian, Composition in Red, Blue and White II, 1937, oil on canvas, 75 x 60.5 cm, Georges Pompidou Center, Paris.

The White Stripes' sound CAN be thought of as an extension of these theories into music - that's why there's no bass, for instance - but then again that is just as likely to be hogwash, which AGAIN is interesting in a Warholian way. Some say the Stripes are an art project more than a band.

For an art project they sure do ROCK. It's nice when you can do both things simultaneously - there hasn't been an art project that sounded this good since the Velvet Underground.
01-15-04 11:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot "Candy Cane Children" is one of the most twisted holiday songs ever created. Unless, of course, The Cramps have a holiday song...

And thanks for including the pronunciation of De Stijl. I've been saying it wrong....and now I know what it means too! Very cool!
01-16-04 02:33 AM
UGot2Rollme candy cane rock n' roll for children
01-16-04 11:44 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
For an art project they sure do ROCK. It's nice when you can do both things simultaneously - there hasn't been an art project that sounded this good since the Velvet Underground.

very well said.

______

I have never heard Candy Cane Children...
01-16-04 01:09 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:

quote:

very well said.

Albeit a mite hyperbolic.
[Edited by Nasty Habits]
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH