ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Harrods Knightsbridge. London - February 1, 2007
© 2007 Harold Cunningham with Thanks to Moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rock and Roll Circus Revisited Return to archive Page: 1 2
24th January 2007 11:24 AM
Some Guy [quote]Joey wrote:

There simply must be a professional name for " Fear of Clowns "

quote]
sissified?
24th January 2007 11:26 AM
egon hey!

they were MIDGET clowns.

give us a break!
24th January 2007 11:27 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
[quote]Joey wrote:

There simply must be a professional name for " Fear of Clowns "

quote]
sissified?

Funny? How about gheyboy?
24th January 2007 11:29 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
egon wrote:
hey!

they were MIDGET clowns.

give us a break!

Now, I do have a twisted fear of midgets, but that just seems to make sense. Clowns, I don't get.
24th January 2007 11:34 AM
egon i think it's the paint on their faces... like they've got something to hide.

plus, they are never funny.
they're supposed to be...., but they're not.

or maybe it's because there's always one at children's parties..

Or, it's that film "IT".

Anyway; scary shit those clowns.
24th January 2007 11:40 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
egon wrote:
i think it's the paint on their faces... like they've got something to hide.

plus, they are never funny.
they're supposed to be...., but they're not.

or maybe it's because there's always one at children's parties..

Or, it's that film "IT".

Anyway; scary shit those clowns.

Here Egon, I hope this helps you get over your fear. It can't hurt you, but watch out for those damn midgets.

24th January 2007 03:07 PM
killerbitch Tim Curry was the clown in IT. He is a very outstanding actor and very handsome. Clowns are for the most part hilarious. Like the ones in the
circus. Little people like to be called Little People or Dwarfs. Midgets is an
insult from what I understand. What is so scary about clowns besides the
one in "IT". That was just Stephen King's scary imagination. Killer Klowns from
Outer Space was extremely stupid. Focus on the clowns that are funny.
When I was a small child I was terrified of popping balloons.
24th January 2007 03:21 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
killerbitch wrote:
Killer Klowns from Outer Space was extremely stupid. Focus on the clowns that are funny.

quote:
JB wrote:
I warned you...but sadly, once agin, you reject my advice. I am smrarter tham any fucker on this board....trus tme, LJ, I may fuck around a lot, but not one person here could match me in any aspect of life(except trees).

24th January 2007 03:24 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
killerbitch wrote:
Focus on the clowns that are funny.

I did not want, but.......Here ya go!!

24th January 2007 03:35 PM
Some Guy Once at an event for work some clowns were scheduled to perform a skit for us. I was walking past a group of them as they were sitting around on break and as I passed them I said, Hey what are you clowns up to? The Clowns denounced me.
24th January 2007 03:42 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Once at an event for work some clowns were scheduled to perform a skit for us. I was walking past a group of them as they were sitting around on break and as I passed them I said, Hey what are you clowns up to? The Clowns denounced me.

Cl-Owned?
24th January 2007 03:43 PM
Some Guy
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Cl-Owned?

Homey don't play dat.
24th January 2007 03:45 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Once at an event for work JB & some clowns were scheduled to perform a skit for us. I was walking past a group of them as they were sitting around on break and as I passed JB I said, Hey what are you clowns up to?

then JB said...

quote:
JB wrote:
When you have 1/3 of what I do, bitch abot my grammar. You are nobody to me..and I guarante I am smarter than any of you...not even close...And you couldn't afford the guy I pay to clean my dogs anal glands..

24th January 2007 03:46 PM
Some Guy I miss that cat.
24th January 2007 03:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I miss that cat.

JB is gone. But his posts live on.

quote:
JB wrote:
I have been awared numerous honors and have appeared in the legal newspaper for certain case I handled....Now, I know my grammar is not the greatest, so yeah, maybe some are better in English than I, ...but if you think this board character is in any way reflective of who I really am, than I think it is pretty sad..yes, I like having a few beers and a good laugh whe I met some of you ..and I alwasy acted respectfl and generous..i.e I put my money where my mouth is...I enjoy the board and obviously anyone who has followed it, gets my humor-weather you like it or not- it is patently obvious that it is sarcastic. Nonetheless, I have actually have recieved threats from people....I ignore them- even though one call to my friend at the DA would make those persons lives quite miserable for awhile..the differenc is I get it...people post things on the internet they would never say in public....I was at 17 shows and anyone who wanted to start with me could have...I dare say it would have been really fun to see someone try to take a shot....and they better have made it a good one.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
24th January 2007 06:51 PM
ComeAsYouAre Clowns and some dolls freak me out.
24th January 2007 07:17 PM
glencar 2 many clowns abound lately.
25th January 2007 04:04 PM
Philip
quote:
killerbitch wrote:
I never
noticed that the Les Paul guitar wasn't plugged in. I thought they actually
played their instruments during that film.

That's because it's plugged in!!!

Jethro Tull and Marianne sang live to a backing track. All other acts are 100% live.
26th January 2007 12:37 PM
justinkurian Rock and Roll Circus

This Sunday (Jan 28th) Pete Townshend features in the The Rolling Stones' Rock And Roll Circus, which has it's WLIW channel 21 US broadcast premiere in New York’s Tri-State-area. An exclusive interview with Pete will also be shown and the programme is aired at 8pm then again at 11.30pm.
26th January 2007 03:29 PM
killerbitch Whatever happened to VoodooPug? Is he ever coming back?

And is JB coming back sometime? We have "lost" some good posters.
27th January 2007 11:16 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
justinkurian wrote:
Rock and Roll Circus

This Sunday (Jan 28th) Pete Townshend features in the The Rolling Stones' Rock And Roll Circus, which has it's WLIW channel 21 US broadcast premiere in New York’s Tri-State-area. An exclusive interview with Pete will also be shown and the programme is aired at 8pm then again at 11.30pm.

Stones and pals party like it's 1968
BY ANDY EDELSTEIN
Newsday Staff Writer

January 27, 2007

With baby boomers now the prime targets for PBS pledge drives, Ch. 21 has unearthed a demographic doozy for them - the legendary 1968 "Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus."

It's a chance to see John Lennon's first performance outside of The Beatles, Brian Jones' last performance as a Rolling Stone - not to mention Keith Richards when he still had a pulse.

And guess what? After watching it, you - and we just don't mean boomers only here - might be tempted to loosen your purse strings for PBS.

To paraphrase Mick Jagger, this film is a gas, gas, gas.

Quickly, here's the back story:

Cue the wayback machine to December 1968 - bridging the summer of love and Woodstock/Altamont - a time when rock and roll's cultural impact seemed invincible. Trying to promote their new album "Beggars Banquet," the Stones came up with the idea of recording a BBC-TV show combining live music with a circus theme, with Jagger as "ringmaster" ("We've got sights and sounds and marvels to delight your eyes and ears..."). It would include an A-list of guests, including Lennon (with Yoko Ono), The Who, Eric Clapton, Taj Mahal, Jethro Tull and Jagger's girlfriend at the time, Marianne Faithfull.

They all performed on a soundstage designed to look like a circus in front of an invited audience dressed in colorful costumes, mixed in with acrobats and fire-eaters. The performances began at around 2 p.m. on Dec. 11, but because of technical difficulties, didn't end until 5 the next morning with the Stones' final song.

The TV show never aired. The Stones contended that they withheld its release because their performance was less-than-stellar because of the late hour. However, viewing it today shows the band was perfectly adequate (they played "Jumpin' Jack Flash," three songs from "Beggars Banquet" and, for the first time, "You Can't Always Get What You Want").

Most observers have claimed over the years that the real reason the show was shelved was jealousy: The Stones felt their set was far inferior to The Who's. The project was put on hold, with The Stones intending to film additional material. But after guitarist Jones' death in July 1969, the project was never revived. The lost footage was discovered in 1989; the VHS version was finally released in 1996, with a remastered DVD out in 2004. (Ch. 21's broadcast includes a never-before-televised interview with The Who's Pete Townshend; producer-editor Robin Klein will be live in WLIW's studio discussing how she found the lost footage.)

There's plenty to enjoy:

A mock interview between Jagger, then 25, and Lennon, 28. The Beatle refers to Jagger as "Michael."

A one-time performance by the impromptu supergroup The Dirty Mac (Paul McCartney must have loved that name, no?) consisting of Lennon, Richards, drummer Mitch Mitchell of the Jimi Hendrix Experience and guitarist Eric Clapton (shortly after his split from Cream). They play an appropriately ragged "Yer Blues," from The Beatles' just-released "White Album," and seem to be having plenty of fun. Ono, Lennon's new girlfriend, then joins them for a second number called "Whole Lotta Yoko," where she just stands on stage and ... wails.

The Who performs "A Quick One While He's Away," their mini-rock opera that preceded "Tommy" by a year, and they're on top of their game. Townshend doesn't smash his guitar, but he does show off his (not-yet-cliched) windmilling move. And seeing Keith Moon - mouth agape, hair flying - attacking his drum kit makes me wonder whether anyone has ever played the instrument with such ferocity. Truth be told, as competently as The Stones played here, they did have good reason to be jealous.

The editing is primitive by today's MTV-influenced standards. Director Michael Lindsay-Hogg ("Let It Be") favors extreme close-ups of the acts, which lets you focus on how, um, chemically refreshed most of the musicians were.

It's hard not to avoid the predictable thoughts - how young everyone looks and how four key performers are now dead (Lennon, Jones, Moon and Who bassist John Entwistle). Still, "Circus" is both historically invaluable and highly entertaining. It even makes it worthwhile having to endure the pledge breaks.

Diane Werts' Off the Wall column returns soon.

THE ROLLING STONES ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS. Rarely seen landmark 1968 performance, originally shot for British TV, but never aired, features The Rolling Stones, John Lennon and The Who. Tomorrow night at 8 on WLIW/21.
27th January 2007 01:02 PM
GotToRollMe Just a reminder:

01.25.07 Watch The 'Rock And Roll Circus' WLIW Broadcast Premiere

On Sunday, January 28th The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus will have its WLIW channel 21 broadcast premiere in New York's Tri-State-area. Viewers can tune-in to see the complete program at 8:00 and, again, at 11:30 PM.

In March 2007, Circus will be offered to all 300 plus PBS affiliates nationwide for broadcast. Fans not located in New York's Tri-State-area can check www.pbs.org/stationfinder for local listings or to request an airdate if one is not currently scheduled.

Filmed in December 1968 and directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg, the pioneering music video director behind many of the Rolling Stones' seminal video clips, The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus was originally planned as a BBC special but never aired. In fact, the footage was lost for many years before eventually being found and restored in 1989 to the delight of fans around the world. With Mick Jagger as the show's literal ringmaster, the unscripted, unapologetic mayhem yielded numerous timeless musical performances by the Rolling Stones and their all-star musical cast!

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
28th January 2007 07:11 PM
killerbitch Thank much for the information. My PBS does not have it. Guess I will have to
see it another way. Don't understand why. I hope it comes on another time.
I think I have it downloaded have to check this out.
28th January 2007 08:12 PM
Joey " The Who performs "A Quick One While He's Away," their mini-rock opera that preceded "Tommy" by a year, and they're on top of their game. Townshend doesn't smash his guitar, but he does show off his (not-yet-cliched) windmilling move. And seeing Keith Moon - mouth agape, hair flying - attacking his drum kit makes me wonder whether anyone has ever played the instrument with such ferocity. Truth be told, as competently as The Stones played here, they did have good reason to be jealous. "

28th January 2007 08:47 PM
GotToRollMe Oh, this is sooooooo goooooood.......
28th January 2007 11:55 PM
GotToRollMe The Who doin' "A Quick One..."
Goddamn, I miss my Moony.

29th January 2007 12:34 AM
GotToRollMe Hell yeah.

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)