ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

First Mariner Arena Baltimore, MD - February 1, 2006
© Algerina Perna with thanks to Sue and !
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: URGENT !!! ... Rolling Stones to spend four nights in Omaha , NE ...... ( SC ) Return to archive
January 28th, 2006 03:42 PM
Joey Hello My Stonesian Brothers and Sisters ..........

I was informed last evening that the Rolling Stones and their ' entourage ' will be arriving into Omaha , NE this afternoon ( right about NOW , actually --- it is pouing down rain here today ) and will spend four nights at the Omaha Hilton Hotel which is adjacent to the brand spankin' new , twenty thousand seat , state - of - the - art QWEST CENTER ARENA .

This information was confirmed to me by three separate and EXTREMELY reliable sources --- it appears the band would like to ' chill out ' here in our fair city before heading to Baltimore Wednesday Afternoon and then on to Detroit and the Super Bowl .

Your young Joey plans to hang with Mick & Keith at " Mr. Toads " this weekend / week so stay tuned ................................

Developing .........................

" Can you say , ' On the MAP Ronnie ?!?! ... ?! .. ? "

Jacky !

[Edited by Joey]
January 28th, 2006 03:54 PM
Altamont
quote:
Joey wrote:

This information was confirmed to me by three separate and EXTREMELY reliable sources --

[Edited by joe mamma]

January 28th, 2006 03:56 PM
MrPleasant LMAO
January 28th, 2006 06:25 PM
pdog I smell a stalker !!!
January 28th, 2006 08:33 PM
Some Guy I doubt it.
January 28th, 2006 09:19 PM
glencar If anything they'll turn left & head for Cheyenne where the real action is.
January 28th, 2006 09:22 PM
kath

joey...watch your bran intake over the next few days!! we wouldn't want any "unpleasant surprises" now would we???
January 29th, 2006 01:11 AM
sirmoonie Sup niggie.
January 29th, 2006 08:31 AM
Paranoid_Android Why the quick hop back to Chicago or a relaxing 3/4 days in nearby Aspen...when you can stay at the Omaha Hilton for $79.00/night, including continental breakfast in the lobby, right?
January 29th, 2006 08:50 AM
corgi37 While ya hanging with them, tell them to quit fucking around and announce the Aussie tour. Maybe if you mention my name, they'll resolve it.
January 29th, 2006 08:57 AM
Lil Brian Published Sunday
January 29, 2006

Midlanders recall their encounters with the legends-to-be
BY NIZ PROSKOCIL
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

When it comes to a Rolling Stones concert, there are a few absolutes.

Ticket prices will go through the roof. Special effects will rattle the roof. And fans - from X'ers to boomers - will raise the roof.

The Stones roll into town today with their "Bigger Bang" world tour, 40 years after the rock legends last graced the Big O with their sass and flash.

In 1966, the band rocked the arena at the Civic Auditorium, where the group had first played the Music Hall two years earlier. Back in '64, Mick Jagger and the boys didn't exactly get the same reverence they'll likely receive at tonight's sold-out concert. Only 651 fans attended the 1964 show.

The Stones probably would just as soon forget that concert. Before the gig, the band had an infamous run-in with Police Lt. Lewis Ruberti, who reportedly wrestled away a half-filled bottle of scotch from a band member in a dressing room.

Ruberti died in 1999, but other Midlanders who met the group four decades ago are still around to reminisce about their Stones encounters.

David Trupp was a 21-year-old musician when he met the Rolling Stones in June 1964.

A drummer, Trupp and his band the Eccentrics were booked to play the Peppermint Cave, a nightclub in the now-closed Hill Hotel in downtown Omaha.

The owner of the club asked Trupp and his band if they would hang out with an English rock group that was in town, maybe show them around and keep them company before their concert at the Civic.

"We said, 'Yeah, we'll spend the day with them,'" Trupp recalled.

The Stones didn't get the grand tour. Instead, the two bands hung out in the Stones' hotel room at the old Indian Hills Inn near 84th Street and West Dodge Road.

"It rocked," Trupp said. "They were real, real nice. We stayed with them for two or three hours."

At one point, said Trupp, now retired and living in Lincoln, Jagger asked if anybody had any diet pills.

Apparently, those "mother's little helpers" were all the rage back then with musicians. Sure enough, Trupp had some and gave one to Jagger, who spent the next couple of hours on the phone "talking business" with associates in England, Trupp said.

Back then, the Rolling Stones had a slightly different lineup. Band members included Jagger, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Keith Richards and Brian Jones.

Trupp spent most of the time talking music with then-guitarist Jones, who died five years later at age 27.

Other than that, Trupp doesn't remember many details. After all, it was more than 40 years ago. Still, the encounter was something he'll never forget.

"It was before they were famous, but you knew they were going to be stars," he said. "They had that air about them."

Will Trupp be at the band's concert tonight?

"I spent the day with them. I don't need to spend $400 to see them," he said with a chuckle. "I can just blare their albums."

While Trupp was with the rockers during the day, Bellevue dentist Rick Engel - then a college student - hung out with them at night.

After the band's concert at the Civic, Engel partied with Stones at the Indian Hills Inn.

"One of my fraternity brothers kept making funny remarks about the Rolling Bones. I said, 'Who are they?' He said, 'They're an English rock group. They're staying down the hall.'"

Engel looked down the hall and saw about a half-dozen girls clutching autograph books outside the band's door. Engel asked one his frat brothers to invite the band over for a drink.

About a half-hour later, at around 11:30 p.m., the Stones showed up at the party.

"I guess they had nothing better to do," Engel said.

He remembers that Jagger wore a silk shirt, vest, tight pants and ankle boots that zipped up the side.

"He wasn't dressed sloppy, no grunge style," Engel said. "He was clean-shaven. His hair was longer than it is now."

Jagger brought his own bottle of Johnnie Walker Red, and drank it without water or ice.

"I had never seen anyone drink like that," said Engel, who was 20 at the time.

Over the next couple of hours, everyone drank, talked and had a great time.

"They were mildly complaining that the Beatles were getting all the publicity. I shook hands with Mick and said, 'Good luck in America,'" Engel said.

Other Omahans had a more professional encounter with the rockers.

Johnny Ray Gomez remembers getting a phone call from the concert booker a few days before the Rolling Stones were scheduled to play the Civic.

"Tickets aren't going well," he told Gomez. "Can we get them on your show?"

In 1964, Gomez was host of a Saturday afternoon TV show called "Dancestand." It was sort of a local version of Dick Clark's "American Bandstand."

Gomez, now 62, said the Stones appeared on his show for about 10 minutes.

He did a five-minute interview with band members, asking them where they had played last, if they were excited about their new record, what their concerts were like.

"I tried to get a little history so the local people would get interested in them," he said.

For the remaining five minutes, the group stayed onstage with Gomez.

"They were really interested in watching the girls dance," he said.

Later, Gomez attended the band's concert at the Civic.

"What always stuck out in my mind was how much fun they were onstage. Not many people moved like Mick. His gyrations got the crowd going," Gomez said. "To see them rise to their stardom, I had no idea they would be this big."

January 29th, 2006 02:22 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
If anything they'll turn left & head for Cheyenne where the real action is.

You shall NOT be greeted !!!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)