ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

First Mariner Arena Baltimore, MD - February 1, 2006
© Algerina Perna with thanks to Sue and !
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie's Solo Albums.... Return to archive
January 26th, 2006 09:56 PM
RollingstonesUSA Which one should I get first....
January 26th, 2006 10:03 PM
Riffhard I'd get "I've Got My Own Album To Do" first. Followed by "Slide On This",and "Gimme Some Neck".

Riffy
January 26th, 2006 10:13 PM
JuanTCB What Riffy said.

"Now Look" is great, too, especially if you like Ron's mellow slow-jams.
January 26th, 2006 10:25 PM
CraigP "I've got my own album to do" GET THIS ONE and fuck the others

It's the only good one.

Trust me.
January 26th, 2006 10:52 PM
stonedinaustralia no doubt - "i've got my own album to do"

full to the brim with goodness - not a bad track on it and
more than a few masterpieces

check out "sure the one you need" and "act together" esp.
January 27th, 2006 03:17 AM
Jumacfly they all got great gems.
Gimme some neck got great songs but sometimes sounds overproduced....
January 27th, 2006 06:18 AM
gustavobala i like 1,2,3,4 from 1981 and gimme some neck from 1978

now look (75) and i got... (76) i like too, not much like the others....

i never heard slide on this (92)? is good?
January 27th, 2006 06:39 AM
IzzyStradlin Gimme Some Neck rocks the most.

1234 sucks.

I've got my Own... and Now Look are both good.

Slide on This also sucks.

Ronnies' solo albums are better than both Mick and Keith's.

His last solo album. "Not For Beginners" is awful.
January 27th, 2006 06:56 AM
Nellcote Buy them all.
He's a Rolling Stone.
Have blind faith.
January 27th, 2006 07:55 AM
RSRTG I have to disagree there, I love "not for beginners". I truely feel Ronnie has 'come into his own' on this album.
My favourite is track 8, Be Beautiful.....infact, the whole album is superb....burt thats my own personal view.
January 27th, 2006 08:19 AM
gimmekeef You know maybe instead of 2 Keith tunes everynight..Keith does one and Ronnie takes the lead on ..say....Josephine or Sure The One...?????
January 27th, 2006 08:46 AM
James Burton Gimmie Some Neck rocks. Mick and Keith add backup vocals on several cuts on this album and Charlie plays on nearly the whole thing - 'Buried Alive' and Bob's 'Seven Days' being my favourites.

'I've got my own album to do' is also brilliant in my opinion - 'I Can Feel The Fire' (with Mick on backing vox) and 'Sure The One You Need' (with Keith) among the best tracks on the album.
January 27th, 2006 08:50 AM
RollingstonesUSA This is a review of I've got my own album to do....

April 16, 2004
Reviewer: Johnny Blades "sirin101" (Wellington New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This was made around the same time as Ron's future band The Rolling Stones cobbled together their last album with the man he would replace on guitar, Mick Taylor. That album, It's Only Rock n Roll, is a dark and rather below-par effort compared to the great Stones albums that preceded it. The truth is, with Taylor, Keith Richards and Mick Jagger all guesting on it, Ron's album is a better album than It's Only Rock n Roll, and in no small way another chapter in the Stones catalogue. In some ways, I've Got My Own Album to Do is the great forgotten Stones album, under Wood's direction.
A fine collection of songs with a real patchwork quilt of material. A few things should be pointed out about why this album is great: firstly, the players are top notch - not only the aforementioned Stones, but in Andy Newmark and Willie Weeks a world class rythm section, Ian McLagan and Rod Stewart from the Faces, among others, feature on the LP; secondly, the songs are strong, showing how good Ron really is, or was before his talent underwent subjugation in the Stones; and thirdly, the album has stood the test of time and reflects perfectly the good-time spirit that Ron is all about because the LP was clearly made in the name of fun and passion for music - it has a home studio feel to it, yet it's grunty and slick in parts too. A diverse album of different rock, funk, blues and even pop grooves.
Ron's voice aint bad either, and he uses Jagger and Stewatr's well-known voices sparingly, to his credit, bringing them in like lead instruments, or texturing them with his own wiry crow.
There's a cople of Jagger/Richards originals on this album, and they can be considered Rolling Stones songs (even if Charlie and Bil werent on them!) and one of them 'Sure the One You Need' is on the highlights of the album, just beautiful Chuck Berry rock that Keith and Ron churn out so well. 'Can You Feel the Fire?' and 'You Mystify Me' are excellent too. Overall, I cannot see a weak song on this album, and the jam or funk songs are more than mere filler tracks.
Rock on Ron. Maybe you should write more with the Stones
January 27th, 2006 09:01 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I got a dvd of "Far East Man"

Its ok. Slash plays well on it
January 27th, 2006 12:43 PM
Saint Sway buy 3.

I've Got My Own Album.... - this ones a MUST own. Fantastic record!

then get Now Look - for a great mellow record. Its a really beautiful album with great songs. Theres better songs on IGMOATD but Now Look is his consistent best from start to finish. I can listen to this one nonstop any day of the week and all day on sundays.

and for shits and giggles pick up Gimme Some Neck - its fast rockin, fun friday night record. Good filthty Stones guitar sound. A real dirty rocker.

1234, Slide On This and Not For Begginners - are hit and miss. Some gems to be found on them. But these are just for diehard RW fans.

anyone looking for a great Ronnie Wood cover should pick up one of the Black Crowes "Instant Live" cds. Search the set lists - quite a few of them have a great version of Woody's "Cancel Everything". Definately worth hearing. Good stuff.

also Izzy Stradlin's 1st album has a great cover of "Take A Look At The Guy" - and Woody & Mac play on it!!! And the 1st Son Volt record has a gorgeous cover of "Mystifies Me"

as Woody would say... CHEERS!
January 27th, 2006 12:51 PM
glencar Live & Eclectic has a lovely one-two punch of Always Wanted More & Breathe On Me.
January 27th, 2006 02:27 PM
T&A There's nothing "hit and miss" about 1234 - it's Ronnie's singular masterpiece. If you don't "get" 1234 - you just don't "get it" and you never will....
January 27th, 2006 03:23 PM
rough-justice I got everything he ever done.
Ive got my own album/Now Look are fantastic

(Some guitar stuff on here is brilliant "Far East Man" The Slide playing
is why he is called one of the best!Sweet baby mine/ive got a feeling also show how great a lead player he is.

Gimmie Some Neck- also Fantastic

Buy them all, 1234 may dissapoint (get it last)
Buy the Faces albums (if u aint already)

Ronnie's (I dont give a fuck attitude mixed with the booze and drugs) pisses me, he is one of the best, and should always endevour to play like the great player he is.
January 27th, 2006 04:51 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
CraigP wrote:
"I've got my own album to do" GET THIS ONE and fuck the others

It's the only good one.

Trust me.

This be the truth.
January 27th, 2006 06:23 PM
Soldatti
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
Which one should I get first....

Gimme Some Neck or I've Got My Own To Do or both.
January 27th, 2006 06:45 PM
James Burton and....Check out 'Real Hard Rocker' from the 'Not For Beginners' album. Ronnie does a great job on bass vocal. This song has distorted harp and slide guitar which is as cool as fuck...it really rocks!!!
"...You walk with a limp....through too much partying.." Great lyrics, Ron!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)