ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

First Mariner Arena Baltimore, MD - February 1, 2006
© Algerina Perna with thanks to Sue and !
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: This is bullshit Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 26th, 2006 09:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels OLD MOTOWN RECORDS BUILDING DESTROYED

The old Motown Records building in Detroit, Michigan has been demolished to pave the way for a American football stadium car park.

Crowds of people watched documents fly around as the 10-storey building, which contained offices at the height of the company's success in the 1960s, crumbled to the ground.

JAMAINE DICKENS, spokesman for the mayor of Detroit says, "It was knocked down because it was sorely dilapidated."

He also said it was part of a plan to remove "eyesores and symbols of a downtown abandoned" from the city.

Motown Records was founded in 1959 by BERRY GORDY and published hits by several legendary Motown greats including THE JACKSON FIVE, DIANA ROSS, LIONEL RICHIE and MARVIN GAYE.

The company moved from the Motown Center to Los Angeles in 1972 and is now a subsidiary of the Universal Motown Records Group.

The site will now serve as a parking lot for the Super Bowl final next month (FEB06) in Detroit.

26/01/2006 21:17
contactmusic
January 26th, 2006 09:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels It's no wonder that some people think the Americans are cultural neanderthals.
January 26th, 2006 09:31 PM
stonedinaustralia that is outrageous - a CAR PARK for god's sake

why weren't the people of Detroit (if not the enire U.S.)up in arms about this - what sort of "neanderthals" in the responsible government dept. approved this "development"

along with Chess Studios and Muscle Schoales this would have to be one of the three sacred sites of American Recorded music

without wishing to appear "over the top" it really is sacriligious

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
January 26th, 2006 09:32 PM
deuce The studio is still there, it's just the business building that was torn down.
January 26th, 2006 09:39 PM
stonedinaustralia ok - well that isn't so bad then

thanks for that
January 26th, 2006 09:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
deuce wrote:
The studio is still there, it's just the business building that was torn down.

"Just the business building" It's still an historical landmark. Maybe even more so than the studio.
January 26th, 2006 11:51 PM
glencar No it's not. The studio is where the music was made. The business building is where Berry made his dough. Not needed.
January 27th, 2006 09:25 AM
gimmekeef It lost a lot of relevance after that sick mother Jacko was allowed in there.....
January 27th, 2006 09:39 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
No it's not. The studio is where the music was made. The business building is where Berry made his dough. Not needed.

Well, I can give up the point to you about the studio being more important, at least it would be to most people. However the business building should have been preserved as a valuable historical site. Music or not alot of important history went down inside that building.
January 27th, 2006 09:41 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
It's no wonder that some people think the Americans are cultural neanderthals.

hum hum...sad but true in this case.
January 27th, 2006 09:47 AM
Ten Thousand Motels ....and for a Super Bowl parking lot no less. Almost as bad as Esau selling his birthright for a bowl of pottage.
January 27th, 2006 10:00 AM
Maxlugar Yankee Stadium will be torn down in 3 years and you worry about THIS???

January 27th, 2006 10:06 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Yankee Stadium will be torn down in 3 years and you worry about THIS???

That's nuts too. Is there any hope of preserving it?

January 27th, 2006 10:09 AM
FPM C10
quote:
OLD MOTOWN RECORDS BUILDING DESTROYED

I heard about this on the dreaded liberal media organ NPR. Although tearing down this building:

is not as big a deal as if they tore down THIS one:

...they didn't even bother to clean out the desk drawers. The papers that were blowing around Detroit included handwritten production notes of "What's Going On" and other priceless cultural artifacts.

It makes a person say: WTF?

Then again, they are just goddamn pieces of paper.
January 27th, 2006 10:35 AM
Joey
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Snuggles !
January 27th, 2006 10:38 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:

It's a done deal. Groundbreaking
is in a couple of months, across
the steet from the current one.
The site of the House the Ruth
Built becomes parks & rec stuff
like softball fieds and tennis courts.
January 27th, 2006 10:38 AM
Maxlugar [quote]Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Nope. Never thought it was possible but it will be gone. This will make Boston's Curse of the Bambino look silly. When The Stadium is gone, they Yankees will go without a title for a thousand years!!!!

January 27th, 2006 10:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Par for the course I guess. "Cultural Neaderthals" is too mild a term. I dunno. A damn fucking shame, The US has only 4 or 5 hundred years of cultural heritage as it is. The next thing you know they'll be tearing down The Statue of Liberty to put in a helicopter pad.
January 27th, 2006 10:48 AM
Joey
" Yankees will go without a title for a thousand years!!!!"

My Heart Bleeds for ya ................

Joe Sea ...... Scroll ! ®

January 27th, 2006 10:50 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:

" Yankees will go without a title for a thousand years!!!!"

My Heart Bleeds for ya ................

Joe Sea ...... Scroll ! ®

Well, I'm not a Yankees fan either, but that's not the point.
January 27th, 2006 11:04 AM
Sir Stonesalot I didn't cry when they imploded Veteran's Stadium, site of the Phillies only World Series title....and a bunch of Stones shows. The new ballpark is way better. The history has been incorporated into the new ballpark. It's better in every way.

Then again, I don't give a fuck about the "Yankee Mystique" either. The Yankees mean absolutely ZERO to me. They could turn Yankee Stadium into a fucking crack house and I wouldn't give a shit.

And where the hell was all this righteous indignation when Stax and American crumbled into decay in Memphis. From what I understand, the Stax building is beyond saving...and American is already dust. Yeah, they tore down an office building in Detroit. And IMO, the RnRHOF dropped the ball by not sending people out there to scrounge the building looking for artifacts. But c'mon...what happened to Stax is just a complete American tragedy. And it seems that no one gives a shit. Which doesn't suprise me. You know, who the fuck are Sam & Dave...Otis who?...Booker T, he's a pro wrestler right? It's sickening.

Americans are complete idiots when it comes to their cultural history. We won't build a highway if it displaces some owls, but we have no problem building strip malls, housing developments, and McDonalds where hundreds of people died fighting the Redcoats for our nations liberty...or where thousands died to save the Union and end slavery. Our priorities are so fucking out of wack that it isn't even funny.

But you know, I can bitch and scream and thump my chest, and not a fucking thing will change. The dollar will always make the rules. Period.
January 27th, 2006 11:23 AM
FPM C10
quote:
The next thing you know they'll be tearing down The Statue of Liberty to put in a helicopter pad.

I've actually been thinking that would be a pretty good idea anyway. The Statue of Liberty has NOTHING to do with America anymore. And the damned FRENCH gave it to us.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land,
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiled. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore –
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me;
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Holy hell. Could anything be LESS about America? Why not just put some passages from the Koran up there?

I wonder how many hollow-point bullets you could make out of it if you melted it down?

We don't need a heliport. How about a new gulag?
January 27th, 2006 11:32 AM
Riffhard Whether or not you're a Yankee fan is not an issue as far as I'm concerned. The FACT is that Yankee Stadium's men room has approximatly one hundred fold the history of the old Vet.

As a baseball fan in general the thought of Yankee Stadium being bulldozed is abbhorant to me. The most storied franchize in the history of any sport are the Yankees. Agree or dissagree all you want,but thems the facts!

The whole American pastime lore was,in large part,written while the Yankees were dictating the direction of the sport.

Love 'em or hate,you can't deny the massive legend that the Yankees have built upon.

The most popular sport's figure ever was Babe Ruth. Yankee.

I'm a Braves fan myself,but I'm not blind to reality. Yankee Stadium is the most revered baseball stadium in existance. More so than Wrigley,or Fenway. In fact,way more so than either one of those beautiful parks. Yankee Stadium was the host to 27 World Series Championships! The Vet? Puuuuleeeeeze!

Riffy
January 27th, 2006 11:57 AM
glencar
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

wha-wha-what???? That's not a sure thing, I hope. They just refurbished Yankee Stadium a few years ago.
January 27th, 2006 12:09 PM
Joey " But you know, I can bitch and scream and thump my chest, and not a fucking thing will change. The dollar will always make the rules. Period. "

........................... ss ! "
January 27th, 2006 01:15 PM
Maxlugar [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I didn't cry when they imploded Veteran's Stadium, site of the Phillies only World Series title....and a bunch of Stones shows. The new ballpark is way better. The history has been incorporated into the new ballpark. It's better in every way.

Comparing the Vet to Yankee Stadium is like comparing the Gin Blossom's to the Rolling Stones.

There is little wonder why you didn't cry.

Now, I think we all need to make sure we know where the Lotus Stage(s) is/are and make sure it/they never see this same fate.

ARE YOU WITH ME??????!!!!

YEAH!!!!
January 27th, 2006 02:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot >As a baseball fan in general the thought of Yankee Stadium being bulldozed is abbhorant to me. The most storied franchize in the history of any sport are the Yankees. Agree or dissagree all you want,but thems the facts!<

Well, as a lifelong fan of the game, I don't care if the fucking Pope played for the Yankees. It wouldn't change a thing for me. One of the most storied franchises? Yeah, I'll buy that....but so what? The Yankee's are also to blame(along with Turner's Braves)for the current shitty state that baseball is in. It is all about the size of the checkbook. World Series are bought and sold now. Hell, the White Sox bought one last season.

The 1917 Yankees have about as much to do with the game today as chicken has to do with computer chips. They have a museum for that stuff in Cooperstown. Stadiums are a dime a dozen. It's the FANS that make the place. Yankee Stadium is nothing but concrete and steel. It doesn't mean shit. The Yankee Stadium of today has squat to do with the stadium that Ruth played in. It may be in the same location...but I've seen the pics...it ain't the same place that Gehrig made his speech.

Get over yourselves dudes. Yankee Stadium is wherever the FANS go to watch the Yankees play. The Yankees wouldn't even EXIST if it wouldn't be for the fans. Your ghosts will still be there regardless of where the stadium is because it's THE FANS who carry those ghosts around.

It sure as shit ain't King George that carries those ghosts.

And what the fuck does ANY of this have to do with really important stuff like Stax and Sun and American and Hitsville USA? This thread ain't about the fucking Yankees.

So let me try to unhijack this thread and get it back on track....

I saw someone said something about Chess and Muscle Shoals...well I'd think Sun and Stax oughta be included in that group too. Now Sun is a tourist trap, and Stax doesn't have a roof. It's horrifying. I don't mind that they tore down the offices that Gordy used to bilk his artists from. I just wish someone would have thought to go through the place first. The thought of hand written production notes from the "What's Going On?" sessions just blowing around in the breeze is just unreal.

Damn...I'm starting to feel ill.

January 27th, 2006 02:28 PM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>Damn...I'm starting to feel ill.

Me's Toos :

January 27th, 2006 02:38 PM
Maxlugar
"And what the fuck does ANY of this have to do with really important stuff like Stax and Sun and American and Hitsville USA?"

Who cares? It's the fans who carry around the ghosts of the songs played there, no? Tear down Chess, MSG and the Apollo when they get creaky, while we're at it.

I saw a bunch of fools trying to save CBGB's recently too. Dorks!

January 27th, 2006 02:40 PM
Joey
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

I saw a bunch of fools trying to save CBGB's recently too. Dorks!

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)