ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

First Mariner Arena Baltimore, MD - February 1, 2006
© Algerina Perna with thanks to Sue and !
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Producer Don Mischer rolling with the Stones Return to archive
January 25th, 2006 01:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Producer Don Mischer rolling with the Stones
By Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith
Los Angeled Daily News / Jan 24,2006

If all went as planned, producer Don Mischer flew to Chicago on Monday to huddle with the Rolling Stones today about what they'll be doing out on Detroit's Ford Field stadium for the Super Bowl halftime show Feb. 5. They've already had a number of talks about set design and sound and such, and Mischer has found Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie "very reasonable, buttoned-down, open to considering suggestions but with their own strong feelings - which is as it should be."
As for whether their controversial political "Sweet Neo Con" song will be a part of the show, Mischer avers, "The songs haven't been decided yet, and it may be pretty last-minute before they are.

"The Stones have creative control over the material they do. There are certain conditions, however, that have been negotiated - certain songs that can't be performed," he says. Which ones? Mischer won't say. He will say, "The Stones understand that the Super Bowl is very much a family viewing event, one of the few left these days."

You may recall that Mischer, who's won 13 Emmys as a master of huge events - from political conventions to Olympics ceremonies to awards shows - was asked to tackle the Super Bowl halftime show last year in the wake of the 2004 Justin Timberlake-Janet Jackson breast exposure debacle. Mischer turned out a typically tasteful show starring Paul McCartney. He also happens to have produced and directed the first Super Bowl halftime show with a superstar - Michael Jackson, back in 1993.

This year also boasts Aretha Franklin doing the national anthem with Aaron Neville, Dr. John and three choirs - and a pre-game show with Stevie Wonder, John Legend and Joss Stone. According to Mischer, Wonder and the event's musical director were already working overnight in studio last week "trying out some things."
January 25th, 2006 01:54 PM
throbby Let me see, definitely no Start Me up. Can't be singing about dead men cumming on national tv.

No Brown Sugar either, no need to be thinking about tent show queens or other unsavory aspects of America's past.

Rain fall down? Can you sing about making sweet love these days?

Stones = family entertainment? Is nothing sacred?
January 25th, 2006 02:06 PM
Nellcote Jumpin Jack Flash
Honky Tonk Woman
Rain Fall Down
Tumblin Dice
A Motown medly of....
Going To A Go Go
Aint Too Proud To Beg

This is what the vanilla/white bread/Desparate Housewives Super Bowl tv audience can stand in America these days.
Let's hope for a SNL-Elvis Costello moment, when the Stones mix this up off of the script..
January 25th, 2006 02:09 PM
speedfreakjive I'll be impressed if they play Neo Con.
January 25th, 2006 02:16 PM
throbby I don't know Nellcote. Can't be singing about laying some NYC divorcee.
January 25th, 2006 02:21 PM
Jumping Jack I expect a giant tongue shaped stage stretching from one side to the other with lots of room for Mick to run around!

JJF
Go Go
HTW
Satisfaction
January 25th, 2006 06:08 PM
Soldatti I expect a medley of warhorses.
[Edited by Soldatti]
January 26th, 2006 03:44 AM
Jumacfly I expect a smoking midnight rambler...
January 26th, 2006 07:19 AM
M.O.W.A.T. Stevie Wonder joins the Stones onstage for a medley of Uptight/Satisfaction ----> we could only wish!
January 26th, 2006 07:38 AM
corgi37 100% they'll do JJF. It's Mick's song. Dunno about Satisfaction. Some sexual things in that naughty song!

Why dont they start off with Angie. Play the 1st verse or so. Have all those those " Mr & Mrs Average Middle American" swooning and ahhing and oohing. I hear alot about these people on Fox.

Then, Jagger goes "and-a 1 -2 -3 -4...and they launch into "Starfucker". Hey, why not?

Oh, they may get sued. But it will shut up the wankers who still bring up Lets spend the night together.

HEY HEY HEY! Why dont they do LSTNT?? They could "reclaim" it from notoriety. That song, going to a go-go (and ladies and gentlemen, here come the Superbowl Dancers! - dressed like Twiggy), and ending with JJF - and a couple of ton of fireworks.
January 26th, 2006 07:51 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
"The Stones have creative control over the material they do. There are certain conditions, however, that have been negotiated - certain songs that can't be performed," he says. Which ones? Mischer won't say. He will say, "The Stones understand that the Super Bowl is very much a family viewing event, one of the few left these days."

all the more reason why they shouldnt play this tame MOR shitfest

How desperate are they that they can pay lip service to the sort of people who, after 25 years, suddenly find the lyrics of "Start Me Up" offensive enough to be edited out of a TV broadcast
January 26th, 2006 08:56 AM
throbby Well said Gazza. I sure hope they don't lower themselves by changing or omitting lyrics. Like Keith is so fond of saying "head, heart, and balls". Let's see if they leave their balls backstage on the 5th.
January 26th, 2006 09:14 AM
gimmekeef There is now..no way out of what will truly be an embarassment...But the sound system will be so shitty you wont hear Mick anyway...It would be one thing if U2 and Macca etc hadnt already done this...but to be last makes no f'inn sense....If they were told there are songs you cant play...then that should have been a clue that you know what???...This isnt a gig for us!!!!..But heck for about 12 minutes of bs they'll walk away with at least $5 million....so there's the reason....AS USUAL!
January 26th, 2006 09:15 AM
Nellcote I'm from the glass is 1/2 full.
They get worldwide exposure.
Promotion for the lp.
Possible different type of performance,
with the knowledge that they could slide in
something which runs afowl of the code.
A little juice towards the whole picture never hurts.
I would think it will take on previous Super Bowl
performances rather handily.
January 26th, 2006 10:21 AM
Gazza
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I'm from the glass is 1/2 full.
They get worldwide exposure.
Promotion for the lp.

If they dont play anything from ABB (which they probably wont), then it wont promote the new album in the slightest

Any promotion that comes out of this is for the tour. Remember, they'll have more of an audience watching this OUTSIDE the US than inside it - and they'll be playing many of those places in the next 8-9 months. A 'condensed' set of JJF. Brown Sugar, Start me Up etc will generate them more dough than playing Rough Justice will.

The promotional work for the album is over and done with. About 95% or more of the people who are going to buy ABB have already done so. Whilst the audiences at the 2 shows I was at last week were pretty good for the most part, it was quite obvious from the number of arses that went back into their seats when they played anything from ABB that those audiences dont know or care about the new material. Summed up best by the two guys behind me on the way out of MSG who were discussing Keith's set - "That was 'Happy'. The second song he did..not the first one. I dont know what that was called....we dont NEED to know what that one was called.."
January 26th, 2006 10:36 AM
Nellcote Gazza, wouldn't it be that when the overall contract the ABC/NFL was signed, including all of the promos which have filled US tv screens for the last seven months, featuring "Rough Justice" and RFD clips, vids, etc. that it was with ABB promo in mind? Additionally, i might suggest it is premature to think that promo for the lp is done, as when they hit Boston last week, the lp was still getting radio promo with adverts, etc. I will roll dice that when the tour travels worldwide, ABB will get promo then.
That's why they tour, right, to promote new product?
Then possibly, I'm having a "flashback" again...
January 26th, 2006 11:50 AM
Gazza
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Gazza, wouldn't it be that when the overall contract the ABC/NFL was signed, including all of the promos which have filled US tv screens for the last seven months, featuring "Rough Justice" and RFD clips, vids, etc. that it was with ABB promo in mind? Additionally, i might suggest it is premature to think that promo for the lp is done, as when they hit Boston last week, the lp was still getting radio promo with adverts, etc. I will roll dice that when the tour travels worldwide, ABB will get promo then.
That's why they tour, right, to promote new product?
Then possibly, I'm having a "flashback" again...

yeah you would know about the TV spots than I would, naturally - so fair point, although that said, they have very few US shows left to play and 50-60 elsewhere. Record sales always pick up when theyre on tour in that parrticular region anyway and Europe will be no different, but obviously the bulk of sales will have been last autumn.

I dont accept the "tour to promote new product" argument with the Stones anymore

I think its the reverse and has been for a few years now. They record new material to give them an excuse to tour and not make themselves look exclusively like a nostalgia act (even though the reality is that everyone knows we're there to hear the old stuff and the lack of new material in the show reflects this)

Only a year or more ago both Mick and Keith were publicly saying in interviews they were unsure whether there was any future in making new Rolling Stones records. They basically knew they couldnt get away with 2 tours in a row without new material and still have ANY credibility left.

Since '89 its the tours that generate the vast majority of their income (even more so since the late 90s).
[Edited by Gazza]
January 26th, 2006 01:03 PM
gimmekeef I wouldnt bet on whose gonna win the game.But I'll wager a ton of money RFD is played....guaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrantteeeeeeeddddddddd
January 27th, 2006 06:25 PM
tumbling dice My bet:

jumpin jack flash
Rain fall Down
Start me up
January 27th, 2006 06:53 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Since '89 its the tours that generate the vast majority of their income (even more so since the late 90s).

From Billboard money makers chart:

1. The Rolling Stones. $168 million. Given the eye- and wallet-popping top face-value ticket price of $450 for the Stones' "A Bigger Bang" tour, it's not a big surprise that Mick, Keith and the boys shattered their own 12-year-old record (of $121.2 million in 1994) for highest-grossing concert tour of all time. That made up 96 percent of the band's Ultimate Top 10 total this year. Despite enthusiastic reviews and a Top 3 entry on the national album chart, the group's "A Bigger Bang" CD contributed only about $6 million to the total.

There you go, with two more concerts in arenas they get the same (or more) amount of money than a new album, saving months of work in the studio, marketing and production costs. Still, 6 million is a very good number.
If they tour again in few years, we'll get a Tattoo You album style (outtakes/few new recordings) at the best.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)