ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

First Mariner Arena Baltimore, MD - February 1, 2006
© Algerina Perna with thanks to Sue and !
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: sway Return to archive
January 24th, 2006 03:19 PM
riffkeither anybody got sway from msg 2006
January 24th, 2006 03:21 PM
Joey
quote:
riffkeither wrote:
anybody got sway from msg 2006

January 24th, 2006 03:25 PM
erikjjf http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=06KQYEMAK198I0H4HK3GCJW45
January 27th, 2006 04:23 PM
ampeg I heard the mp3 that someone in this thread shared. Good golly, those are two atrocious guitar solos. I have to go. I am in the middle of doing a DaVinci drawing.

Is there a place where I can post a 7+ MB mp3 of Mick Taylor playing "Sway" with Carla Olson? Once upon a time on the Web there used to be all these free file sharing websites. I copuld post to a newsgroup but that won't help folks who do not have premium newsgroup server access.
[Edited by ampeg]
January 27th, 2006 07:56 PM
deuce Everyone raves about that Carla Olson version. I've never heard it but I'd really like to.
[Edited by deuce]
January 27th, 2006 09:22 PM
the good I love how everybody constantly trashes the Stones lead guitar playing. Most of the critics wouldn't even know how to play an open G chord on the guitar. I've been playing for 15 years, and let me tell you, its not easy to play live. The solos were fine. Were they as majestic as Taylor's leads on Sticky? No. And they are never going to be, so get over it.
January 27th, 2006 09:59 PM
stickyturd No offense man, but... the number of years you've played guitar doesn't say anything about how good you are at it. It IS EASY to play live. If anything, it's easier than studio, but the catch is you only get one shot to play the solo, where in the studio you can start over if you flub it. I'm someone with lots of experience in both types of playing.

Any guitar player who's above average will tell you there IS something wrong with those solos in Sway... and numerous others Woody has played this tour.

I'm NOT one of those Taylor-heads who say, "Woody isn't as good as Mick." I am one of those guitar players who say, "Woody hits bum notes on almost every solo he plays, has awful tone (thin/overdistorted), bends notes out of tune all the time, etc."

Nobody's asking Woody to play as well as Taylor. We are asking him to play cleanly.I love Woody, but he can and has done a lot better - his playing wasn't always like this.

Russ
[Edited by stickyturd]
January 27th, 2006 11:00 PM
the good
quote:
stickyturd wrote:
No offense man, but... the number of years you've played guitar doesn't say anything about how good you are at it. It IS EASY to play live. If anything, it's easier than studio, but the catch is you only get one shot to play the solo, where in the studio you can start over if you flub it. I'm someone with lots of experience in both types of playing.

Any guitar player who's above average will tell you there IS something wrong with those solos in Sway... and numerous others Woody has played this tour.

I'm NOT one of those Taylor-heads who say, "Woody isn't as good as Mick." I am one of those guitar players who say, "Woody hits bum notes on almost every solo he plays, has awful tone (thin/overdistorted), bends notes out of tune all the time, etc."

Nobody's asking Woody to play as well as Taylor. We are asking him to play cleanly.I love Woody, but he can and has done a lot better - his playing wasn't always like this.

Russ
[Edited by stickyturd]

Well, not to toot my own horn, but I'm an excellent lead player. And I know what I'm hearing. And you yourself admit that you only have one shot when your playing live, so I'm not sure what your point is about playing live verses in studio. Even an average player can get a solo right if they can do it over and over again.
[Edited by the good]
January 27th, 2006 11:45 PM
T&A you don't need to be a musician to know a piece shit when you hear it.
January 28th, 2006 12:15 AM
the good
quote:
T&A wrote:
you don't need to be a musician to know a piece shit when you hear it.

Dude, its just a freaking lead. No, its not a great lead. But its not the worst thing in the world, either. And all of you would bitch even more if Woody didn't play it.
January 28th, 2006 03:33 AM
stickyturd My point with live vs. studio playing was, it is not hard to play live and play well. Your original post said it was, and that's incorrect. I also said the only catch to playing live is, you only get one chance per night. In fact, that doesn't make it harder to play, it just makes you unable to cover a mistake if you make one. Yes, that goes against my point; I brought it up on purpose because that's the only argument you could have to support that playing live is hard.

Even taking that into consideration, it isn't hard to play live. An excellent lead guitarist would know that - so you should know it.

If any decent guitar player can play a solo if they play it over and over, then Woody should be nailing solos every night. The Stones are not varying their setlists very much this tour. His Sway solos might be excused (since they've only played it twice) if all his other solos were clean, but they aren't.

As for your last post, saying it's "just a lead" isn't accurate. Like I said, he's flubbing many leads, not just one. It's a recurring problem.

Russ
January 28th, 2006 05:47 AM
Rizollin Fuck this gunslinger quarrel. The real question is what does Mick mean when he says
"one day I woke up to find
right in the bed next to mine
someone who broke me up
with the corner
of her smile"

Why is he sleeping in a seperate bed? Is he Frank Costanza from Seinfeld? I love the song, it might be my fave, but I'm wondering what it all means...maybe...

-Mick wants a groupie who's in a fellow bandmate's bed in a one bedroom, two bed hotel...

-Mick Jagger secretly has an incestious crush on his brother's lady friend, and the song is about growing up in WW2-torn Britain and his brother, presumably, had a "bed right next to mine" and I remember a quote where Mick didn't blossom sexually till he moved out, making the context of the song make sense...
January 28th, 2006 11:42 AM
the good
quote:
stickyturd wrote:
My point with live vs. studio playing was, it is not hard to play live and play well. Your original post said it was, and that's incorrect. I also said the only catch to playing live is, you only get one chance per night. In fact, that doesn't make it harder to play, it just makes you unable to cover a mistake if you make one. Yes, that goes against my point; I brought it up on purpose because that's the only argument you could have to support that playing live is hard.

Even taking that into consideration, it isn't hard to play live. An excellent lead guitarist would know that - so you should know it.

If any decent guitar player can play a solo if they play it over and over, then Woody should be nailing solos every night. The Stones are not varying their setlists very much this tour. His Sway solos might be excused (since they've only played it twice) if all his other solos were clean, but they aren't.

As for your last post, saying it's "just a lead" isn't accurate. Like I said, he's flubbing many leads, not just one. It's a recurring problem.

Russ

Russ,

If someone were trying to play a solo, would they make more mistakes, on average, if they playing live or playing "in studio" ?

As for your response to my point saying its just a lead, the point is, its only rock and roll dude. Relax. I think your one of these guys who thinks he could do a better job than Woody.

January 28th, 2006 12:00 PM
Staffan
quote:
stickyturd wrote:
My point with live vs. studio playing was, it is not hard to play live and play well. Your original post said it was, and that's incorrect.

Well, I think there's no true answer to this question. Every single musician reacts differently to a crowd. When there's an audience there, it can make you nervous or trigger you (sometimes one gets triggered when one becomes nervous, too!) You can become afraid to play mistakes, and therefore you play on the safe side or you can lose control of yourself and play the wildest things you've ever played.
When I play live, I feel I can react in different ways, depending on what type of audience, and venue, you're playing for/in. So sometimes it's easier to play live than in the studio, sometimes it isn't. That's my experience, at least, and I'm sure many would agree.

quote:

I agree, I don't think his solo's are particularly good from what I've heard. His slide solo on Rough Justice on the album is pretty lame as well. As you said, he can do much better.

And that Olsen/Taylor version of Sway is a killer!

January 28th, 2006 12:20 PM
nanatod "Olsen/Taylor version of Sway is a killer!"

Carla Olsen would certainly make a better opening act for the Stones than Antigone Rising, that's for sure. Plus, she's got the Gene Clark catalogue to select from.
January 28th, 2006 02:11 PM
Mel Belli I have to say, Ronnie is inexcusably lousy on that version - not just for the bum notes, but for totally losing his place in the arrangement and screwing it up for the rest of the band. No wonder Mick is hesitant to play these kinds of songs more often.

For the record, I'm not a replace-Ronnie type. I'd be happy if we had Wood circa '89...
January 28th, 2006 02:37 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Rizollin wrote:
Fuck this gunslinger quarrel. The real question is what does Mick mean when he says
"one day I woke up to find
right in the bed next to mine
someone who broke me up
with the corner
of her smile"

Why is he sleeping in a seperate bed? Is he Frank Costanza from Seinfeld? I love the song, it might be my fave, but I'm wondering what it all means...maybe...

-Mick wants a groupie who's in a fellow bandmate's bed in a one bedroom, two bed hotel...

-Mick Jagger secretly has an incestious crush on his brother's lady friend, and the song is about growing up in WW2-torn Britain and his brother, presumably, had a "bed right next to mine" and I remember a quote where Mick didn't blossom sexually till he moved out, making the context of the song make sense...

I've always heard that line in the context of another one from the same album:P
"Here I lie in my hospital bed/Tell me, Sister Morphine, when are you coming 'round again?"
So I pictured a row of beds in a hospital or mental ward. Don't know if this makes it any clearer.
January 28th, 2006 03:03 PM
oldkr i was at the show, and in the moment the solos sounded fine , in fact it was a consesus amoung the fans i spoke to that ron was in rare form, things that pass in a second live can be over played and over analyzed on the boot

OLDKR
January 28th, 2006 05:34 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
oldkr wrote:
i was at the show, and in the moment the solos sounded fine , in fact it was a consesus amoung the fans i spoke to that ron was in rare form, things that pass in a second live can be over played and over analyzed on the boot

OLDKR

This is true.
January 28th, 2006 05:42 PM
gotdablouse Actually this version is not that bad, certainly miles better than the first time they played that was all over the place and lacked any kind of groove.

After reading this thread I was expecting some awful Ronnie playing, honestly it's not that bad, he's done a LOT WORSE, like recently on some IORR solos.
January 28th, 2006 11:25 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
ampeg wrote:
I heard the mp3 that someone in this thread shared. Good golly, those are two atrocious guitar solos. I have to go. I am in the middle of doing a DaVinci drawing.

Is there a place where I can post a 7+ MB mp3 of Mick Taylor playing "Sway" with Carla Olson? Once upon a time on the Web there used to be all these free file sharing websites. I copuld post to a newsgroup but that won't help folks who do not have premium newsgroup server access.
[Edited by ampeg]

I totally agree; shocking playing by Ronnie, but then again, Keith's solo on ATPTB is poor as well.

I still don't think Jagger is singing it right though. I wonder whether he has actually listened to it again. He's turned the melody around, and its not as impactive(dunno if thats a word) as on record.

I have to say how impressed I was with Gimme Shelter. This performance burned.

[Edited by speedfreakjive]
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)