ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pepsi Center, Denver, CO - February 1, 2002
Steven R. Nickerson - Rocky Mountain News
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: LONDON ASTORIA HAS IT'S ENTERTAINMENT LICENCE REFUSED! (APPEAL IN FEBRUARY) Return to archive
01-27-03 03:56 PM
Gazza Thanks to Hallings who posted this on IORR's board. Don't get too worried yet if you have tickets for this one - they're gonna appeal. Besides,even if they lose,I'm sure the tickets will be good for an alternative venue (for example,Shepherds Bush is much the same size..)

London Astoria has it's entertainment licence refused.

Leading London Venue the Astoria has had its entertainment licence renewal refused on the grounds of "public safety."
Home to many a club night and gigs by live bands such as David Bowie, Oasis and Blue Westminster Council said that last year's shooting at a So Solid Crew gig as its main cause for concern.
A spokesman for Westminster Council said: "The Licensing sub committee refused the renewal of the London Astoria's annual weekday and Sunday music and dancing licence and a restricted films licence.
"The committee was not satisfied that the licensees had done enough to ensure public safety at the venue, particularly in light of the shooting on the 30th October 2001."
"The failure of the licensees to implement appropriate measures to prevent (the) large number of public safety breaches alarmed the committee and was the primary reason that the licensees were seen as unfit to hold their license and therefore the renewal was refused."
Mean Fiddler, the owner of the venue has rightly appealed against the decision.
A spokesman for Mean Fiddler said: "The decision to refuse was clearly a surprise and appears to be based on the activities associated with the firearms incident in the club in October 2001. However, both the council's own Health and Safety Team and The Metropolitan Police investigated the incident and the changes we have made ensure a similar incident does not reoccur.
"The appeal to the Magistrates, though lodged immediately, is not expected to be heard until February and we are extremely positive that this will be overturned."

It seems a shame that a top venue can be exposed to the vagaries of a council using a one off incident as an excuse to shut it down and appears to be similar to the epsiode a while ago that led to the closure of Home in Leicester square.

http://www.club4it.com/news/news_astoria.htm
01-27-03 03:58 PM
jb Oh my God.....Gazza where is the show rescheduled to?
01-27-03 04:00 PM
Gazza just to add..this doesnt appear to be a recent news story - its in the archives of that site..according to NME.com the Astoria's licence was revoked in Oct/Nov 2002 (ie BEFORE the Stones gig was announced) - and the piece refers to an incident in October 2001 as "last year" (in other words,it was written in 2002)-
01-27-03 04:01 PM
jb Thanks Gazza....your up to the date reporting is always appreciated .....We love the Irish in Boca!!!!
01-27-03 04:07 PM
jb How the fuck do you know where I am going? I 'll go wherever I want to go and like in New York, I will be well received....!!!
[Edited by jb]
01-27-03 04:20 PM
Gazza Its NOT rescheduled - its not even been cancelled.

I'm pretty sure they'll get their licence back on appeal - they seem confident going by the feature. These kind of things happen quite frequently.

like I said,this story appears to be quite old. The Nme.com piece on it is dated 24th October 2002..I'd imagine this piece comes from around the same time - its not in that website's CURRENT news features.

Remember - The Stones show was confirmed at the end of November. I'm sure if they felt it wouldnt take place they wouldnt have negotiated a contract to play there and at worst theyd have had a 2nd venue for the tickets to be valid if the worst happened.

I seriously wouldnt get anxious about it, folks.
01-27-03 04:36 PM
jb .....O.K.
[Edited by jb]
01-27-03 06:33 PM
MarthaMyDear I'm sorry about that, jb... I just never saw you post that you were going to the Astoria so it just seemed weird to me that you would care so much, etc. (i.e. above)... That is all... Sorry...

*** Martha ***
01-28-03 03:26 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Fuck, the Astoria date on rs.com has been changed to 00-00-00..........
01-28-03 03:32 PM
Moonisup ohhhhhh nooooooooooo
who knows more?????????????
01-28-03 03:59 PM
Gazza I've just checked RS.com and worse than that - its been removed!!

FUCK!

Just tried to phone Ultrastar in New York (the people who run the fan club website through Clear Channel ) - nobody available on reception to even take a call, let alone put me through to the fan club office. Fucking amateurs.
(heres the number incidentally : ((001) 212 - 265 - 2525)
amazing how they can tell us when shows are added yet have removed that one almost unnoticed?

as I said earlier,I wouldnt get too alarmed or stressed - theres 5 days between Twickenham II and Wembley - there will surely be a theatre show in London even if the Astoria is unavailable. PLENTY of time to arrange something at an alternative venue and I'm sure all those who joined the fan club and have paid for their tickets already will have them honoured
01-28-03 04:03 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Tuesday, 11/30/99 London UK Astoria MORE INFO

somebody seems to be fucking with the website...
01-28-03 04:04 PM
Moonisup maybe a hacker who wants to give us an heart attack
01-28-03 04:04 PM
LadyJane I'm pretty sure the "Roll with the Stones to London" included a ticket to the Astoria gig.

I know the package sold out!! When I get home, I'll e-mail my contact at the Travel Center in San Francisco and see if she has any info.

They are so damn secretive, though, they might not give me any info since I'm not going to London.

But I'll try!!

LadyJ.
01-28-03 04:08 PM
Gazza OK..I see what you mean - I was looking at the end of the tour schedule between Twickenham and Wembley for 08-27-03

Now I see they've moved it to the TOP of the page (see below) and changed the date to 00-00-00 as you said.

maybe this just means a venue / date switch. the fact its still ON the tour schedule but without an actual DATE would hopefully imply a reschedule as opposed to a cancellation.

Date City Country Venue Public Tickets Fan Club Tickets
00-00-00 London UK Astoria Sold Out ALLOTMENT GONE
06-04-03 Munich Germany Olympiahalle Sold Out GET TICKETS
06-06-03 Munich Germany Olympic Stadium Buy Tickets GET TICKETS
06-08-03 Munich Germany Cirkus Kroner Sold Out ALLOTMENT GONE
06-13-03 Oberhausen Germany O-Vision Park Buy Tickets GET TICKETS
06-15-03 Berlin Germany Olympic Stadium Buy Tickets GET TICKETS
06-18-03 Vienna Austria Ernst Happel Buy Tickets GET TICKETS
06-20-03 Leipzig Germany Festweise Buy Tickets GET TICKETS
06-22-03 Hockenheim Germany Ring Buy Tickets GET TICKETS
07-05-03 Marseille France Velodrom de Marseille Buy Tickets GET TICKETS
07-07-03 Paris France Bercy Sold Out ALLOTMENT GONE
07-09-03 Paris France Stade De France Buy Tickets GET TICKETS
07-11-03 Paris France Olympia Sold Out ALLOTMENT GONE
07-13-03 Copenhagen Denmark Parken Buy Tickets GET TICKETS
07-16-03 Helsinki Finland Olympic Stadium Buy Tickets GET TICKETS
07-18-03 Stockholm Sweden Stockholm Stadion Sold Out GET TICKETS
07-20-03 Stockholm Sweden Globen Sold Out ALLOTMENT GONE
07-22-03 Stockholm Sweden Cirkus Sold Out ALLOTMENT GONE
07-24-03 Hamburg Germany AOL Arena Buy Tickets GET TICKETS
08-08-03 Hannover Germany Field Buy Tickets GET TICKETS
08-11-03 Rotterdam Holland Feyenoord Stadium Sold Out GET TICKETS
08-15-03 Rotterdam Holland Ahoy Buy Tickets ALLOTMENT GONE
08-16-03 Utrecht Holland Vredenburg Sold Out ALLOTMENT GONE
08-19-03 Amsterdam Holland Amsterdam Arena Sold Out GET TICKETS
08-23-03 London UK Twickenham Stadium Sold Out ALLOTMENT GONE
08-24-03 London UK Twickenham Stadium Coming Soon GET TICKETS
08-29-03 London UK Wembley Sold Out ALLOTMENT GONE

01-28-03 04:19 PM
Honky Tonk Man This is terrible, to put it bluntley. I read about the Astoria having its licence taken away in the NME a while back, but not reading anything about it for a while - just presumed ruleing had been over-turned.

Also, i would like to express my views on ROLLINGSTONES.COM!

RUBBISH! Okay, i suppose i am going a little ott here, i mean, it did give you lucky bastards your Astoria tickets!

STILL, maybe, just MAYBE they will put a few extra tickets on sale for us unluky ones.

Ive seen some pictures from that Shepards Bush 99 gig. Looked like there was no breathing space!

Alex
01-29-03 06:32 PM
Gazza and now just to confuse y'all even more - when I checked RS.com tonight..its back up again in its original place in the tour itinerary as if nothing had happened....

08-23-03 London UK Twickenham Stadium Sold Out ALLOTMENT GONE
08-24-03 London UK Twickenham Stadium Coming Soon GET TICKETS
08-27-03 London UK Astoria Sold Out ALLOTMENT GONE
08-29-03 London UK Wembley Sold Out ALLOTMENT GONE

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST