ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pepsi Center, Denver, CO - February 1, 2002
Steven R. Nickerson - Rocky Mountain News
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones playing SECC Glasgow in Sept Return to archive
01-26-03 08:11 AM
FM The Sunday Mail is reporting that the Rolling Stones
are playing the SECC in Glasgow in September.

Fraser
01-26-03 09:16 AM
luxury1 WHere's Glasgow?
01-26-03 09:21 AM
nankerphelge Scotland.

In 1996, the University of Glasgow was written up for its breakthrough in breeding parasite-resistant sheep!

I shit ye not!
01-26-03 09:54 AM
luxury1 Thanks, nanky. Can always count on you for all the important info.
01-26-03 11:07 AM
Honky Tonk Man Scott Rocks WILL be Pleased!
01-26-03 03:07 PM
Gazza The SECC is a friggin' barn and quite cavernous...hope they put seats in because the sightlines can be lousy if youre not standing near the front.

I'm also hearing whispers from a "good source" of a visit to Dublin in September - looks like the tour is continuing after Wembley and the British Isles leg isnt gonna be limited to just London

To emphasise what I posted a while back about Dublin - the Stones will DEFINITELY NOT be playing Slane Castle as previously speculated (this gig is also still listed on IORR's tour page as "rumoured"). This year's Slane concert will take place on August 23rd with the Red Hot Chili Peppers headlining. The Stones can't play that date as it coincides with their concert in London at Twickenham.

If they play Dublin in September it could be any one of a stadium,arena or even a club. Negotiations for an Irish show (or shows) are ongoing.
[Edited by Gazza]
01-26-03 03:20 PM
BillyBoll Thats brilliant news. Although there's bugger all chance that they'll come to Liverpool. Manchester/Sheffield are the closest they've come in recent years.
01-26-03 03:28 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Scotland.

In 1996, the University of Glasgow was written up for its breakthrough in breeding parasite-resistant sheep!

I shit ye not!

Same school that produced the first cloned sheep. Named her "Dolly" too.

You have to wonder what the hell is going on there at times.
01-26-03 03:44 PM
Gazza THE DIARY Jan 26 2003

LAST ROLL OF THE STONES They'll play Scottish gig on farewell tour

Billy Sloan Exclusive

THE Rolling Stones are heading for Scotland and just like it says in their classic 1965 hit... this could be the last time.

I can exclusively reveal rock's biggest band want to play two gigs in Glasgow in September and the venue that's top of their hit list is the 8500-capacity SECC.

The Stones are going down a storm on the American leg of their Forty Licks world tour.

But with a combined age of 234 - Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are both 59, Ronnie Wood is 55 and Charlie Watts, 61 - their days as a touring act are numbered.

That's why Jagger wants to say a personal farewell to their Scots fans.

So far on their tour they've performed at a stadium, an arena and a more intimate club venue in each city.

A tour insider said: "They've been playing to stadium crowds of 60,000 in America but seeing the Stones play indoors at the SECC will be like watching them in a tiny club.

"They've been experimenting with the set list featuring classic hits and rare material from albums such as Exile On Main Street and Let It Bleed.

"No two shows are identical. They've revived classics like Love In Vain, Beast Of Burden and Little Red Rooster."

In the 60s, the Stones appeared at Barrowland and the Odeon Cinema in Glasgow. During the 70s, they sold out the city's Green's Playhouse, which became the legendary Glasgow Apollo, with a string of memorable shows.

In 1990, they stormed Hampden Park and their most recent Scots gig was at Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh in 1999.

The only confirmed UK gigs on the Forty Licks schedule are all in London - at Twickenham on August 23, the 1500-capacity Astoria on August 27 and the 11,000- capacity Wembley Arena on August 29.

All three shows have already sold out.

I'm told, they're planning a special opening act for their UK dates.

Star names including The Pretenders, No Doubt, Elvis Costello, The Strokes, White Stripes and Ryan Adams - all headliners in their own right - have opened for them in the US.

The Stones reclaimed their title as the bad boys of UK rock after guitarists Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood were spotted smoking on stage during their gig at Madison Square Garden in New York.

They were served with a police summons by NYC mayor, Mike Bloomberg, wno introduced no-smoking legislation. The pair skipped out a back exit before cops could serve the writs.

Don't phone The Diary or the SECC for Stones' ticket details. Keep reading Scotland's No.1 pop column for all the hot pop exclusives
01-26-03 09:52 PM
Scot Rocks YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR THE INFO EVERYONE

2 GIGS.....DEVELOPING!!!!!!!!

Mark
01-27-03 08:28 AM
nankerphelge Dublin eh Gazza?

Oooooooooh!

Still, I woulda liked a "Slane" T-shirt
But Dublin is definitely well worth the trip.
Jameson's for everyone!
01-27-03 09:27 AM
Maxlugar Boy, this is great news!

I don't think I am the only one to think this way, but it's about time news like this comes out.

How much longer could we wait? Who knows? But obviously, there is something to look forward to.

Man, Parasite resistant Sheep! Can't get over it!

The last time I bed down with a sheep I got a tick on my left testi.

Damn thing blew up so big I thought I had three nuts.
(laugh track)

Macky!
01-27-03 09:51 AM
nankerphelge You know it Max.
As moonie noted, the U of G is on the cutting-edge livestock technology. But cloning is mere childsplay compared to keeping your baby clean and free of pests!

You get one of them tape-worms deep in your gut, and you can never eat egg noodles again without gagging!
01-27-03 10:08 AM
Maxlugar I was watching ESPN Outdoors Fishing the other morning and they were showing us some leech-like creatures that can sense you pissing in the water and will swim up your wee wee and live there.

Don't you think the animal kingdom has gone too far at times?

This is just pushing the limits of man/ parasite relations.

MACKY!
01-27-03 10:22 AM
parmeda
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I was watching ESPN Outdoors Fishing the other morning and they were showing us some leech-like creatures that can sense you pissing in the water and will swim up your wee wee and live there.

LMAO! Max, you and my husband could compare notes on this subject.
I don't even want to go there...
01-27-03 10:27 AM
jb "Playing to crowds of 60,000 in America"...When? Where?..Fed-Ex field 53,000....Philly had only 45,000, Reliant 46,000, Giant Stadium 55,000 , Cominsky 46,000, Toronto 46,000, Pac Bell 41,000 a show, Gillette 54,0000...
[Edited by jb]
01-27-03 04:13 PM
nankerphelge Max, I think you may have stumbled onto the next bioweapon!!

Pour a can of Carnation Instant Wee Wee Worm into a water supply and next thing ya know, all the war-age men are suddenly trying to fix their "leaky faucets."

Hell we could do designer wee wee worms -- stuff that makes hair grow out of it and shit! That'll get yer complete attention!

I'm calling Don Rumsfeld right now...
01-27-03 04:21 PM
Maxlugar It wouldn't work on those dickless Iraqi's.

And Germans and French, come to think of it.

MACKY MACK AND THE MACKY MACK MACKY MACKS!

01-28-03 12:29 PM
Chico Fantastic news!!! Saw The Who at the SECC a couple year ago. Fantastic atmosphere but guitars a bit quiet. Seeing the Stones there would be sensational me thinks.
01-28-03 03:04 PM
Gazza seen Dylan there a couple of times (95 and 98 - two of the best gigs I ever saw him play) and Bruce in 1993

never seen a bad show there but helps if youre near the front, although I'd imagine these would be all seaters?

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST