ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pepsi Center, Denver, CO - February 1, 2002
Steven R. Nickerson - Rocky Mountain News
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Chicago II: Tattoo You night!!! Reviews, setlist and pix January 22 Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-24-03 03:04 AM
L&A Wowwwwwwwww, Parm ! Fantastic pics, just missing the sound ! Thanks for sharing
01-24-03 05:59 AM
luxury1 Thanks for the pics Pammy. Looks like some kind of time! Yeah, the B-Stage up close is almost too much--(and I wish I had never posted about the hat, cuz now everybody's doing it--damn, I hate when that happens). I love MIck in that black fang shirt. But the band is repeating alot of their clothes this tour--I remember more of variety in the past. Guess the wardrobe budget was cut. And Moonie, thanks for posting that the Glimmers kissed and made up by the end of LARS--all that bickering is making me very nervous.
Yeah, right Pam, husbands who aren't total fans---wait till next tour!!
01-24-03 08:02 AM
LadyJane Great photos Parm!!

I can't believe how close you were to the B stage. Did anyone give you any flak for your cameras? I'm prepping for Vegas and I'm pulling out all the stops. Like I'm going to sound check and NOT bring a camera!!! I don't think so.

Listening to you and Lux, I must give thanks that my Hubby is a fan and didn't give me too much trouble about activating the Platinum Visa for the RS.com travel package to Vegas!!

Ummmm....time to start working on him for the travel package to Paris!!!!!

LadyJ.

01-24-03 10:09 AM
luxury1 Yes--LadyJane--consider yourself lucky.
Upon meeting one of my friends from these boards recently, I said to my husband "This is Stonecrazy." And he replies, "yeah, well I'm Stoned-Out." Big sigh. He is very funny.
01-24-03 10:49 AM
LadyJane LOL! Oh Lux, he sounds like a trip. I have been having a bit of trouble with the "old man" being JEALOUS of time spent on THIS MESSAGE BOARD!! A recent comment was "What, are you in love with someone on there?" I caught him checking the history and reading some posts! ROTFL!!

Guess I should be glad he still gives a shit after 17 years!!

LadyJ.

[Edited by LadyJane]
01-24-03 10:53 AM
jb Fantastic Pam!!!! Sounds like you had a "life-changing" experience! Were you kids into it? Congratulations on the great photos!!!! Would make great holiday gifts!!! (hint, hint..LOL)....Take care...Josh.
[Edited by jb]
01-24-03 11:58 AM
moy superb pix!
01-24-03 12:24 PM
Stones Fan, Gar Great pictures, thanks Pam for sharing them. I hope that anyone else that got a camera in would share their pix too. I was there, but no camera. Thanks again Pam, you are the greatest. Also thanks to Voodoo for posting them! Great header!
01-24-03 12:24 PM
sparksWILLfly Had the best seats I've ever drawn among my 40+ Stones concerts for this show -- 2nd row on Ronnie's side of the floor. Sirmoonie's and Parmeda's reviews already provide most of the details I would mention about this show, so I'll just add a few experiences from our 2nd-row perspective. At one point in the show, Mick was conspicuously pissed at Ronnie -- gesturing towards him and his guitar as if he was furious, then going over to shout something in Ronnie's ear right after that. I saw the same thing happen during the No Security tour, but this was the most upset I've seen Mick get on the current tour. Much to our delight, it seemed as if Mick was working our side of the main stage a lot more than Keith's side, and I think we figured out the reason at the end of the show. There were 4 young (20-ish), attractive women in the first row to the side of Ronnie's side. They danced enthusiastically (and Mick might have thought suggestively) throughout the entire show. Mick seemed to be spending an inordinate amount of time gyrating back toward them on the extreme left side of the stage, right in front of our seats. As they were finishing JJF in the encore and during the final bows, Mick made the same gesture toward these women 3 separate times -- tipping an imaginary glass towards his mouth, as an apparent invitation for a post-show drink. After he did this the third time, a guy dressed in solid black came from backstage and went and talked to these 4 women as the Stones were leaving the stage. One of the 4 turned white as a sheet and immediately started shaking her head "no" toward her friends. The others looked quite nervous as well. After perhaps a 3-min. discussion, the 4 women were all nodding "no" toward the guy who was Mick's apparent post-show entertainment coordinator, and they went up the stairs as if to exit the arena, while the coordinator returned backstage. We were pretty sure from what we saw that Mick was rejected in this case. Perhaps the coolest thing that happened to us was mid-way through the show, just when Keith's set started. We had wondered why the front-row seats directly in front of us were vacant for the first half of the show. Then, Bill Cosby came in an took the seat directly in front of me. Well, actually his very nice tweed coat took it, while my ratty hooded sweatshirt that was generously soaked in beer by the drunk prick behind us hung over the back of his chair. He didn't care, since nobody uses their seats for anything but a coat rack that close anyway (actually, it looked as if that may have been true throughout the whole UC arena). He was very friendly and asked how I was doing, to which I responded that I'm always doing about as well as I possibly could when I'm watching the Stones. I told him that I had seen his show twice in our town, and enjoyed it a lot both times, and he said, "Really?, Thanks!" (Didn't mention that our tickets to his shows were comped both times, but he was funny enough that I would have happily paid, anyway.) The, he amused us by playing some air guitar along with "Gimme Shelter". All-in-all, another great Stones experience! Next stop, Phoenix -- ready Roostah!?!

Voodoo -- got a few decent 2nd-row pics to send you, probably next week. Not as many as I usually take, because of all the security goons up front. Wouldn't want to lose my digital stealth camera that has served me so well on this tour at this point.
01-24-03 01:15 PM
sirfito Excellent pictures!
I agree: thank you for sharing!
Best,
Fito
01-24-03 01:55 PM
T&A Moonie:

Regarding WOAF - not surprised RW and KR "sat it out." Same thing happened in Oakland '97 when Vedder dueted with Mick. Just not a song that seems to inspire anyone anymore - I was really surprised they even bothered with it the other night. Why the hell they don't give Slave a spin if they try out a TY theme is beyond me - it's an easy riff for Keith to play (a helluva lot easier than CYHMK, for instance) - and it's a song that surely even most casual fans will recognize and react to. How bad can it sound? Certainly no worse than WOAF....
01-24-03 03:26 PM
jb Mick get rejected....I seriously doubt it....
01-24-03 04:47 PM
sandrew I think "Waiting" is a gorgeous song, probably the best such ballad they've ever recorded. I heard the Vedder duet on a bootleg and, no, it didn't sound inspiring. I think that owed more to a spongy arrangement -- the guys didn't sound comfortable with the song yet.

By the time of the St. Louis PPV, though, it was in top form, thanks in no small part to the great Josh Redman (how that guy can BEND those notes!). I think it's one of the better selections from "No Security."
01-24-03 04:59 PM
T&A Sandrew:

totally agree with you regarding the STL PPV version of WOAF - although they definitely cleaned it up alot for the NS release. I love Josh Redman - I remember he got a lot of flack ("he's no bobby keyes, etc,etc) at the time. The way I looked at it was that the great Sonny Rollins did the original sax solo and there's no WAY Keyes would be able to do it justice, so it was a very appropriate call to bring someone in with the grace and chops of Redman for this version. I also thought both Gene Barge (82) and Ernie Watts (81) played well on it during the TY tour....
[Edited by T&A]
01-24-03 08:31 PM
Boomhauer When I was at the show I was very happy that they played Waiting on a Friend. It was totally unexpected; I actually thought they were going to do Worried About You (which would have been cool as well).

It was cool to see the Tattoo You album on the big screen (the red front with Mick and the green back with Keith were both shown).
01-24-03 10:17 PM
Toronto Tom Hey Anthony you got the new camera allright. You had been really hoping to get the new one. The pictures look great. I should have kept talking to you longer when I seen you last or at least pushed staying there a little longer. I am sure the view would have been even better about 2 minutes later. -)

01-24-03 10:26 PM
Scot Rocks Great Pics Pam, and great stories everyone, it makes it so much better to read it from a real fan's perspective.

Thanks, Grazie...

Mark

01-25-03 08:58 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff WOW! G R E A T W O R K !
CONGRATULATIONS!
Thanks
01-29-03 01:09 PM
Funky Punk Woman Yes, great photos
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST