ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pepsi Center, Denver, CO - February 1, 2002
Steven R. Nickerson - Rocky Mountain News
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Chicago II: Tattoo You night!!! Reviews, setlist and pix January 22 Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-22-03 11:14 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
01-22-03 11:20 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Setlist is being posted live at Shidoobeeland
http://pub6.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm161.showMessage?topicID=17.topic

Gotta go, please someone post it, thanks in advance
01-23-03 12:35 AM
*ginda Started at 8:55 CST - from Stonesdoug

1. Street Fighting Man
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. If You Can't Rock Me
4. Don't Stop
5. Monkey Man
6. Bitch (Could hear the horns kicking it over Sundevil's cell)
7. Waiting On A Friend (Tattoo You night)
8. Neighbors (Different horn than usual???)
9. Start Me Up
10. Tumbling Dice (so much for Tattoo You???)

Introductions

11. Thru and Thru (Keith's set)
12. Happy

13. Sympathy For The Devil
14. Gimme Shelter (Lisa nailed it & got a huge ovation)
15. It's Only Rock 'n Roll (still on the main stage)
16. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Awesome)

17. When The Whip Comes Down (on the B Stage)
18. Like a Rolling Stone (someone threw Mick a cowboy hat again tonight)
19. Brown Sugar ("B stage sounded great tonight, guitars up all the way")

20. Jumping Jack Flash (back on the main stage)

Outta there

"A special night in Chicago" per Sundevil

01-23-03 06:27 AM
sonicrock wow no honky tonk woman?? first times in ages ??
01-23-03 07:42 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy All *right*... good to see the boys drag out "Worried About You".

Good setlist! A Tattoo You night, finally, although I would have really loved to hear "No Use In Crying" with Ronnie on the keyboards , a la "You Don't Have To Mean It", with Mick & Keith singing.

Still, that'd be just my imagination...

-tSYX --- Running away with me...
01-23-03 08:53 AM
scope Yes!!!! Nice to see some more variety. Maybe someone read a few of the threads from the past few days here?
Just wish that the featured album of the night included more than just 3 songs, especially when 1 of them is a war horse included every night.
01-23-03 09:55 AM
CS Stones get the silver--and they give us the gold

January 23, 2003

BY JEFF VRABEL STAFF REPORTER

Less a rock band than a perfectly tuned engine, less men than impossibly successful hormone experiments, the Rolling Stones returned to town this week and again proved their unparalleled skill at making people smile while beating the crap out of their wallets.

Back for two more shows after a sold-out three-night stand in September, the Stones brought the "Licks" tour back into the United Center with seemingly none of the well-intentioned novelty of that last visit. No big publicity push this time, no dipping into one of rock's most treasured catalogs, and certainly no hot-ticket stop at the Aragon.

This was The Stones, back to business.

And business, despite that always-swirling flurry of question marks, remains good. No one doubts that this encore swing is a cash grab, in all its $350-for-the-best-seats glory, and indeed, the packed house seemed to shoot down warnings about the nation's flagging economy more defiantly than the president did when he pitched his tax cut here. Plus, there's always that age thing, and with it the spectre of diminishing skills. Michael Jordan's playing the United Center on Friday, too. Draw whatever metaphors you want.

But it's not like fans turned out for a groundbreaking display of experimental virtuosity. They came for the hot rocks, and damned if the Stones didn't deliver. There was some raggedness during Tuesday's opening salvo of "You Got Me Rocking," "Street Fighting Man" and "If You Can't Rock Me," but once the kids got down to business, they ripped the joint with a fiery and exquisitely selected set, redlining during a blistering revisiting of "Exile on Main Street" that included "Rocks Off," "Tumbling Dice" and a note-perfect "Sweet Virginia."

As for that age thing, sure, Charlie Watts looks like he's daydreaming, but his spare, calculated gunshots on the drums continue to make him the glue that holds the machine together. Watts is a marvel; when he locks in with Chica-goan Darryl Jones' bass--which he does automatically--the results are usually something like the locomotive groove of "Midnight Rambler" that falls into lock-step as easily in 2003 as it does on your CDs.

The oft-shirtless Richards seems reinvigorated as well, prowling the stage as he puffs dutifully and maintains a smirk, which is probably directed straight at Death. Richards and Ron Wood, who kept a low profile, leveled their guitars at "Tumbling Dice," and Keith dusted off the "Steel Wheels" track "Slipping Away" during his turn in the spotlight. But his tour de force--and the band's--was "Can't You Hear Me Knocking." Rich-ards' riffs sliced through the United Center air like blades, finding room in Watts' precision backbeats and driving the song through its faux-calypso breakdown into a mammoth conclusion.

And then there's Mick Jagger, ever addictive and watchable in his burlesque-house slitheriness. Jagger's voice was in fine form. He nailed a ragged but pretty "Wild Horses" and reached back 30 years to rip up a "Gimme Shelter" that, thanks to Lisa Fisher's soaring vocals and some of Richards' finest work of the night, was something approaching perfection. Jagger even tore into "Start Me Up" with an uncharacteristic fury, especially considering the track could he heard over a car commercial in the lobby before the show.

The Stones have no trepidation about stomping all over that intersection of commerce and rock, between lame auto spots and razor-sharp Richards. And the fans don't seem to want to--or remember how to--separate the two anymore. The Stones have been so imprinted by their own marketing and arena-rock antics that trying to remember them before is futile. But in the face of all logic, God love them, they still know how to deliver the goods when it counts. In their own way, by their own shady, shifting rules, the Stones in 2003 remain all business.

Given Ryan Adams' status as alt-country beacon/brat, and with his smoke-stained voice, shaggy mane and reputation for unkempt, all-over-the-map live performances, he seems a perfectly logical choice for a Stones opener. For his part, Adams, last seen in Chicago at the Vic jumping off stage for a beer and playing along with Madonna LPs, stepped up to the arena challenge nicely, peppering his 45-minute set with organ-drenched rockers ("Firecracker") and broken-down ballads ("Touch, Feel and Lose").

With some time and discipline, Adams may be able to hold down arenas after all. That being said, he did end his set by kicking the mike stand around and leaving stage without a word. Didn't anyone teach him to respect his elders?
01-23-03 10:09 AM
CS From the official website

Photos By Anthony Mathile & Louie (the new camera)
[Edited by CS]
01-23-03 11:12 AM
Sir Stonesalot Waiting On A Friend. I don't remember that one getting played yet. I'll check, but I'm pretty sure that is #67.

I wonder if anyone besides Dylan has tossed that kind of variety at their fans during a big tour lately?
01-23-03 11:24 AM
Boomhauer Just got back from my Engineering Comm. and Quality Control classes. I've had 2 hours of sleep since the concert. Traveled 3 hours to UC, 3 hours back (with piss breaks and stuff like that not included).

Anyway, I thought it was a great show. I am still a little ticked that we didn't get to hear CYHMK or MR. I still think there was time for one of these songs.

But the show was a-rockin'. Other than Mick's lyrical slips on Bitch (he did the "sometimes I'm so shy.......don't have no bark or bite, alright" bit two or three times.), everything was cool. Oh wait, on Thru and Thru, the sound guys fucked something up (screeching speakers) and Keith was looking back at Charlie or Ronnie.

On the B-Stage, I saw that Keith was pissed about something. It's like he was just standing their, looking around, and not playing. Then it seems as though he went to turn down Mick's guitar OR turn his up. Then Mick did this little "kick in the butt" to Keith and flipped the switch with his foot. BTW, this only happened during Whip. I thought it was funny.

I think people were a little upset that we didn't get another song (basically, mad about not hearing HTW). But the crowd was weak anyway.

Funny thing happened. I was in section 303 and these two guys were about to rip each other's heads off because the one guy was standing and the other told him to "Sit the fuck down!"

01-23-03 11:36 AM
Boomhauer Forgot one thing.

Mick saying, "It's so fucking cold outside you could freeze your balls off" was, as Tony Kornheiser says, classic.

I did freeze my balls off (and my face, hands, ears) as I walked to the damn UC. Bloody, blimey fucking cold, man!!!
01-23-03 11:58 AM
mikecooper all i can say is the sound was horriable from last nights show major problems all night!
01-23-03 12:00 PM
luxury1 I smell trouble in paradise. Sounds like Mick is sick of Keith's "bad-ass attitude" and is starting to give it back a little. Uh-oh. Or maybe they were bitchy because they did two nights back to back. Or maybe I am just caring about all these little snits a bit too much!
01-23-03 01:18 PM
Stones Fan, Gar Just home from UC. The place rocked. As far as Keith on B- Stage during Whip, seemed to me like a string broke loose. He was standing ther holding his guitar face up, Ronnie came over, started laughing, Mick came over and gave him a phantom kick to the back side. He got a new axe for the next song. Also during the introductions, Mick introduced everyone and turned it over to Keith for his numbers, only one problem, he forgot about Charlie!!! Keith was laughing, Mick turned to Charlie and bowed, and Ron fell to the floor, rolled on his back and kicked up in the air laughing. It was a classic. Before the show, met some folks at the BillyGoat, a nice gathering! Met a guy from New York who had never seen a show in Chicago and wondered what the crowds were like. I told him the never sit down. In my section and all I could see this was true for the whole 2 hours. Mick also mentioned something about how this was the 5th show in Chicago on this tour. They must love the crowds. At the show, met a guy who had relocated from England and who had never seen the Stone before. After the show, I asked what he thought, all he said was WOW,and that he was suprised there was only one encore number. Seems no one can get enough Stones!! Very cold but well worth it. Later,all, Gar!
01-23-03 02:00 PM
Madafaka Cool songs
01-23-03 02:06 PM
Martha
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Waiting On A Friend. I don't remember that one getting played yet. I'll check, but I'm pretty sure that is #67.

I wonder if anyone besides Dylan has tossed that kind of variety at their fans during a big tour lately?

It is one of my all time favorite songs...and has NOT been played yet. YooHOO!
01-23-03 02:19 PM
voodoopug i thought sound was great (we sat right on the b stage) and song selection was great...keith and mick bickering was great!
01-23-03 04:15 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Waiting On A Friend. I don't remember that one getting played yet. I'll check, but I'm pretty sure that is #67.

Well, as usual, from The Dead camp, The Other Ones, sold-out "Fall Tour 02" had a remarkable number of tunes played. 15 cities, 20 shows= 114 songs.
Yes my friends, verity is a good thing!
01-23-03 05:03 PM
Sir Stonesalot I'm not sure that 20 shows counts as a major tour, but 114 different tunes in 20 gigs is impressive. So Dylan, and what's left of the Dead...anyone else give the fans as much variety as the Stones? 67 different tunes and counting...
01-23-03 05:43 PM
Martha Dead...anyone else give the fans as much variety as the Stones? 67 different tunes and counting...
-----------------------------
The Rolling Stones

A Way Of life...

I think they've got it Licked!
01-23-03 06:40 PM
full moon I was at the show and there was NO altercation between the boys.. This silliness is getting ridiculous..
01-23-03 09:57 PM
sirmoonie Some bits on 1/22 UCie show that you may find interesting.

Best seats I've ever had (tx again Pam!), and was able to get right up to the rail at the back corner of B stage on Ronnie's side. How cool seeing them from mere feet away. They all looked remarkably healthy. Keith looks like he lost a few pounds. Mick, fugehdaboudit. Can't believe what shape that guy is in.

I'v read about the altercation(s) on the B, but I didn't see any of it. Maybe it was because I was at the back. But I did see Mick and Keith hug and smile at each others towards end of LARS. It looked spontaneous and they seemed to be laughing about something.

Show was much more subdued that shows I saw last September. Not necessarily in a bad way. But definately less intense.

I'm a big fan of Ronnie, and I love his comeback trailblazing, but he really sat things out for lengthy periods of time. I mean really like AWOL, and he wasn't even goofing around that much. Just seemed like he was stoned or distracted. On B with LARS, he was hardly playing at all. And this was weird, while he was sitting out LARS, he walked back to Levell's piano and looked down at what I think was the B stage set list. I could have sworn he forgot what song he was supposed to be playing.

You guys are right about Levell to some degree, he does manage the show. I saw several times where Mick waited until he got the nod from Chuck when to begin singing.

Waiting on a Friend was fun, being new, etc. Mick played acoustic. Unfortunately, Keith and Ronnie both decided to sit that one out. I'll be interested to hear the soundboard, because about a third of the way thru it seemed like they just quit playing that distinctive riff and left the song to Darryl and the backups. It was still great to hear it, but that would be my only disappointment of the night.

Start Me Up just rocked the place, as usual. The whole band could be on life support systems and still nail that one. What a great show tune.

Tumblin' was perfect too, they can make that thing groove anytime. Bit too much horns at end, kind of drowned the riffing, but just incredible.

Seemed like Mick was trying out a lot of new moves. Anyone else think he deviated from his standards? Seemed like he was going for some quasi-spastic 80s breakdance type deal at times.

Lisa! To me she always did the Tina Turner bit too much, but last night she was one sexy babe up there. Kinda like those chicks on Laugh-in type dancing.

Just to put rumors to rest, Mick does not play air guitar on Don't Stop. He plays: chang, chang, chang - pause..... -chang, chang, chang, chang, chang, chang, chang, chang! guitar. More power to him. Extended jam at end of Don't Stop was new I believe.

Thru and Thru is far from my favorite Keith song, but the second half really rocked I thought. Didn't notice any sound problems that I've been reading about.

Ronnie played lap steel (or whatever its called) on Happy. Hadn't seen that before.

I think Darryl is better each time I see him. I love that guy. Big ole Rick James looking dude.

Oh yeah, Sympathy was the best song of the night. Best version I've seen so far. Astounding. Really. I mean really. Like it was beyond belief how good thats sounded.

If any of the above sounds negative, its not meant to be. Just nit picking which is allowed here amongst the faithful, those of us in The Know. Great show, worth every centavo. If you like the Stones and don't go because of something as irrelevant as money, you're beyond hope. Maxy's right. Pfffft, here's your measly 300 bones, now play 20 of my favorite songs for the next two hours you freakin monkeys! Yalls my bitzes now!
01-23-03 10:32 PM
Boomhauer It was fuckin' loud, wasn't it Moonie?

01-23-03 11:43 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Parmy Mammy quiieeeeero!!!

The following are 14 pix Parmy sent me to share with you people! Seems that she had a great time there and what a seats!

Thanks Parmeda! Cool
01-23-03 11:48 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Hey Parmy, which one do you want as tomorrow's header?
01-23-03 11:55 PM
parmeda Choose your poison Voo! Which one do you like the best...
01-24-03 12:02 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Oh my God! That's harder than hard

BTW, there's a mistake upthere as one is twice and this great one is missing

01-24-03 12:06 AM
daytfren EXCELLENT PICS Parm looks like you had a great time
Thanks for sharing
01-24-03 01:41 AM
parmeda How exciting!

I feel as if another chapter in my life has been completed...I've seen many shows, MANY...and NOTHING could be better than what I saw last night. I was prepared for what I knew would be a bitter-sweet ending. But honestly, going to these past two shows and having the variety that was offered...I am very grateful. The icing on the cake...our seats! (Moonie, you are so very welcome! I am so glad that you were able to be there as well...)

Like Mick had stated at the begining of the show...YES! It was cold enough to freeze ones balls off last night. "Welcome to Chicago in January, Mick!" The weather didn't stop us from packing the UC two nights in a row...

I've heard different reviews about the quality of the sound, and I have to say, what I heard, was nothing less than quality. It may have something to do with where you're seated... I felt the rumble of the bass coming thru the floor. I could hear the guitars race over my head and run down my spine. I could feel the pounding of Charlie's drums in my chest. I saw and heard some of the "mistakes" but the bottom line is that I also saw a group of men...MEN, mind you...having the time of their lives doing what they do, the best way they can. I give a rat's ass if someone is off-key, if there's a missed lyric, if a guitar string snapped...Oink, Oink my friends, I was happier than a pig in shit last night!

I love Lisa's new hair style... I thought it was hysterical that Mick accidently by-passed Charlie in the intro's... I got a kick out of Mick's accent when he pronounced "Tattoo You", it was "TAH-too You" (no offense to our British friends, I adore your accent!!!)... When the album cover was shown up on the big screen, Moonie and I turned to each other at the same time as "YESSSS" came from both of our mouths... I have to agree that SYMPATHY was my favorite for the night (then again, I am very partial to that song and it's always my favorite!), and hey, Luxy...Mick was sporting that Fedora in the begining of that number!

I must have looked like a fricken tourist, LOL...I had three cameras hanging from my throat once the lights went out. I must have taken 100 pictures, or more, between the two nights. I can honestly tell you that maybe 30 of them have any merit. Things happen too quickly...people move in front of you...you get bumped...Mick is a jack-rabbit and NEVER stays put!!!! I have more streaks of him than I care to think of, LOL. Sitting next to the B-Stage was a blessing that I'll never forget... Jumping over a row of seats to get to a great vantage point, was well worth it... Never-the-less, I hope you enjoy what I sent to Gerardo to share with all of you!

This was my last show for this tour...they ALL were well worth every dime and arguement I had with the hubby. While I was kinda sad to see the Stones leave last night, my husband was silently doing a happy-dance and thanking God, "It's all over now!"

(psst...until the NEXT tour, honey!)
01-24-03 01:44 AM
littleredrooster Great PIX !!!
Thanks for sharing!!
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST