ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pepsi Center, Denver, CO - February 1, 2002
Steven R. Nickerson - Rocky Mountain News
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Between the Buttons Return to archive
01-22-03 09:35 PM
Mickjagger1963 Does anyone have any strong opinions on this album? Ive been spinning it alot lately and its grown on me
01-22-03 10:27 PM
exile i recently played it again after a long time as well
it had been years

really got into "She smiled sweetly" and "Something happened to me yesteday" and "Miss amanda jones"

Im more into from let it bleed and exile on main and sticky fingers myself... but it was nice to go back and revisit it.

a good thing about the stones cause they have so many songs you could be a fan for 20 years and hear a track you havent heard in years and love it like its a newly released single.

cool hey
01-23-03 12:44 AM
freestone Amanda Jones is one of my favorite Stones tunes.
01-23-03 02:01 AM
luridchief Of all the remasters, BTB may be my favorite. I got the UK version with the extra tunes and I think that the whole thing is sadly underrated. LOVE "Backstreet Girl" and pretty much the whole thing.

Hell, I'm even starting to really get into almost all of SATANIC! Call me crazy!
01-23-03 05:27 AM
Zack I am a huge Buttons fan. I rank it over its more celebrated sister Aftermath. It's just a more fun album, has the most diverse use of instruments and best production of the 60s works. Mick, having dumped Chrissie and fallen for Marianne started writing positive songs rather than chick-hating lyrics. I love the bridge of LSNT, the fuzz bass all over, and the kazoo solo.

BTW, you'll never convince me the British version is better. There's no comparing Backstreet Girl and Please Go Home, though they're very good songs both, with the mighty LSNT/Ruby, the pinnacle of their pre-BB achievement.

Love it.
01-23-03 08:03 AM
sirfito
I'm a huge fan of the album too.
I like very much.
The 2 versions (USA & UK) are superb!
There are "Connection", "Complicated", "Miss Amanda Jones", "My Obsession"...
Fito
01-23-03 08:16 AM
F505 Great album and a great cover.
01-23-03 08:37 AM
Maxlugar I pleased to like it very much.

Make ears to tune in!

For to play it every day time!!

Miss Amanda Jones make Maxy smile until pain comes to face and blood pours forth from bulging eye sockets.

Vladimir Maxishnikoff!
01-23-03 11:47 AM
100 Years Ago BTB is wonderful, wonderful. Such a fun album to listen to, definitely their most Brit-pop. Every song is unique sounding, and the closing number, Something Happened To Me Yesterday can only be described as dancehall psychedelia...BTB is a gas, gas, gas
01-23-03 11:48 AM
luridchief I solved the US/UK BTB problem by burning my own BUTTONS CD--I took the UK remaster (with the great extra songs) and added LSTNT and RUBY TUESDAY at the beginning!

This, my friends, is the complete, ultimate BETWEEN THE BUTTONS!
01-24-03 12:44 PM
sasca Brilliant, genius. It's always had its supporters - including Syd Barrett and Frank Zappa - but it deserves more recognition. The UK version is the one I think of as the real BtB as it is what the Stones themselves planned but both are great. Ruby Tuesday is possibly my favourite Stones song.
01-24-03 11:50 PM
full moon Get stoned and listen to this album.. Brilliant stuff....
01-25-03 12:40 AM
Soul Survivor People say Beggars was the turning point for the Stones, ya know....the second chapter. But I think it started here, it was the first album not filled with RnB stuff,
01-25-03 11:56 AM
marko I agree with you SS,,also i just noticed,while i�m listening
it,i think this could be the first progressive album.
01-25-03 01:51 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I think it was "The Rolling Stones's Great Pop Experiment No. 1", and it wasn't all that great. Some songs are incredibly good ("Connection", "Miss Amanda Jones", "She Smiled Sweetly"), some are OK ("My Obsession", "Complicated") and some are terrible ("Yesterday's Papers", "Something Happened To Me Yesterday"). But all the album has this happy and incredibly dated 60s Britpop malaise over it. And while I love "Cool, Calm, Collected" and "She Smiled Sweetly", for example, they have that feeling that it hasn't held up over 40 years to my generation. This is not the rough'n'tumble timeless Rolling Stones, this is the Rolling Stones's biggest attempt of the 60s to "fit in with the times". Some of the songs work out, some don't, but all of them belong firmly at the height of the poppy peace-and-love 60s.

-tSYX --- Flower power was a load of crap, wasn't it?
01-25-03 04:06 PM
sasca Flower Power? As Mick said, it was a bit silly, but a lot more fun than many other 'movements'. And BtB is a soundtrack to the dandyism of Carnaby Street rather than Haight-Ashbury dropping out.
I don�t think it�s a break with previous Stones sounds, which had moved quite quickly from Walking the Dog to Satisfaction and GOMCloud to Paint It Black. It is, rather, a brilliant development.
I think it only needs more people to hear it - as 100 Years Ago said, it fits in very well with the Britpop sound of just a few years ago.

[Edited by sasca]
01-26-03 12:03 AM
Gimme Shelter I think its a great album, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that Mick hated it.
01-26-03 08:54 AM
sasca He did but only after it recieved bad reviews which must have coloured his view.
He said Backstreet Girl was the only song he liked (on the British version) but She Smiled Sweetly has recently been played again so perhaps he�s reconsidered.
01-26-03 09:51 AM
Boomhauer I just listened to Let's Spend the NIght Together and realized how great the damn track is!!!!!

But I just won't apologize, oh no.....
01-28-03 11:20 PM
full moon Strange , but yet appealing in a quirky kinda way... I love it...

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST