ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pepsi Center, Denver, CO - February 1, 2002
Steven R. Nickerson - Rocky Mountain News
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: MSG January 18 . Setlist, reviews and pix Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
01-19-03 09:52 AM
Gazza >I think this is the first time on TV Keith's gotten 2 songs instead of 1.

no...all the previous American TV live PPV/broadcasts since Atlantic City'89 have featured two songs by Keith ('89 was the first tour in which he sang lead on two songs per show). I think maybe what youre thinking of has been the official home video/DVD releases which have tended to be edited. The original live broadcasts of Miami'94 and St Louis'97 both featured two Keith songs.

01-19-03 12:04 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
luridchief wrote:
Ronnie picked up a white cowboy hat and I believe that he almost put it on . . . !

Yeah! He threw it up in the air during "It's Only Rock'n'Roll"... when he should have been playing! That was the only time I saw him get off track like that.

He also caught an Irish flag, held it up, waved it about, and draped it over the mic. Keith pointed at it and said something to him as they took their bow and they were both laughing on the way off.

-tSYX --- Gangster's maul... gangster's maul...
01-19-03 01:12 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Some pix from the official website

01-19-03 01:34 PM
mattb Had no problems with the mix or with hearing Ronnie. I was feeding my cable into the VCR, with an audio connection to my TV. Then had the TV connected into the 15 year old Technics cassette receiver I have. Then had the recorder into the 15 year old receiver. The TV volume acted as a pre-amp. I listened to the tape Sunday afternoon and I don't have the problems others are saying they had. It's AWESOME!
[Edited by mattb]
01-19-03 01:45 PM
nankerphelge Hi kiddies!!

Don't know if I was just expecting too much, but I was disappointed. Thought the Sept. MSG show was better by far. I thought the sound was too low generally, Ronnie was tough to hear, and I thought they seemed a bit tentative all night. No gems and Sheryl as the guest -- what the fuck? Rambler and Knocking were the highlights.

good seein' y'all at YOTI
Walters was crowded but fun -- I left at 5 and it was still hopping!

Coming to grips with what was probably my last show!

01-19-03 01:51 PM
stoneslib I'm no audiophile, but the West Coast HBO mix of the guitars last night was up and down all night. They'd be crystalline and loud for part/most of a song, but then go muffled, as if someone at the mixing desk was reducing them.

Listen, for example, at SFM. Right after the visuals blind out with the bright light, the guitars drop out, too, practically ruining the song.

Anybody hear/capture the same on their tape?
01-19-03 01:56 PM
Boomhauer Sheryl Crow's appearance was totally unnecessary. But hey, what can you do.
01-19-03 03:17 PM
Madafaka Thank you very much for the info guys!
Anybody recorded the show from tv on minidisc?
01-19-03 03:36 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Well, I thought it was a pretty hot show myself. Sheryl was nice to look at on HTW, but didn't really add much. She's a great gal, but what's the point here? Keith sounded fucking great all night and like a man still playing with passion. He missed the second riff of CYHMK, but more then made up for it the rest of the night. I really think that Keith had more air time then Mick this time around, which would be unusual. The sound was great on my system, had it pump'n through the stereo really loud and every thing seemed to be mixed well. I never got the feeling that Chuck was too loud, as some would suggest. One thing that was quite bad was that nonsense Lisa was doing on Satisfaction, and then Jagger starts to follow her vocals. Please do not do that again, it sounded horrible! Other then that, fucking great. The highlights for me where Rambler and Whip. Rock On!
01-19-03 04:33 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Start me up is up at http://www.hbo.com/ for both Real One and Quick Time

01-19-03 07:48 PM
JaggaRichards Miss Crow has one HOT ASS!!
I'd like to bend her over and..........OOPS! Here comes the wife!
01-19-03 08:46 PM
John Wood I just finished wathching the tape of last nights show. I think the Stones played great but I kept on hearing some strange sound like someone playing a video game. I thought at first it was Chuck but later noticed this sound between songs. I taped the concert in Canada on a Direct TV dish. Was this sound something wierd through the satellite feed or what? This sound really sucked, did anyone else notice this? I really hope they release some dvd's of this tour, but I will not hold my breath!
01-19-03 08:57 PM
John Wood Oh great setlist If You Can't Rock Me, Monkey Man, Midnight Rambler, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, and When The Whip Comes Down all in one show!!!! I also thought You Got Me Rocking was good even if you guys don't like it. I also thought Thru and Thru was good even with the fuckups!
01-19-03 08:59 PM
John Wood Fuck I love the Stones, that show brought tears to my eyes!!!!
01-19-03 10:55 PM
MP Aren't there any pics from the 18th show?
01-19-03 10:59 PM
MP Duh----just noticed the ones above.....BUT any close-ups?
01-19-03 11:12 PM
J.J.Flash Great info guys! Thanks everybody!
Hello Madafaka my friend! I sitting here thinking: you in Argentina and me, poor J.J.Flash here in Brasil, without scheduled concerts, no TV Shows , NOT EVEN THE NEW REMASTERS (THE LAST NOT YET)! I KNOW, I KNOW, FUCK ME! WHO REALLY CARES WITH OUR ROLLING STONES LOVE & PASSION?!?!?! NOBODY!
Have a good time Yankee friends, British fellows, and all other european friends, from this wonderful board (a place with good guys to have a friendship (true friendship)! Enjoy the greatest Rock'n'Roll band in the World, cause I can't, I don't have this right!
Until the New Year, I had a big expectations that they could re-scheduled more new dates and maybe some from Brasil and Argentina, like 95 and 98, but now, I just can seat and cry.
Goodbye to my dreams and desires! Again, sorry anything wrong from my english speech! I hope everybody understood me! This is my sad confession!
Keep Rockin' you people, cause maybe I'll give up of everything inside my dreams and wishful thinking!
Rolling Stones, specially Keith, are the best things that ever happened in my Life, this is a kind of love! I won't never forget April, 13, 1998 in S�o Paulo!
01-20-03 12:40 AM
Madafaka Hola mi amigo! We're in South America, nobody cares! Hehehe. That's true, we don't have concerts, tv shows or something like that. I have Direct Tv and Saturday night in HBO was a fuckin' damnshit movie! Everytime I check for a new boot arrival on the FTP, I'm anxiety! Yes, I know... It's not enough, but is better than nothing All that I can do is design art covers for my new boots. Sad but true.
But no tears! I still remember all the nights that they played in Buenos Aires and a smile draw me in my face. I'll write to Duhalde and Lula to beg for the Stones! PLEASE! WE NEED MORE ROLLING STONES! Oh my god, I'm going mad... Time to sleep!

Good luck!
Your friend in Argentina.

PS: Thank you guys about the info, is very important to me

Keep on rollin'.

01-20-03 05:32 AM
padre I hate to live in Finland on occasions like this! All I get are these great reviews but got no chance to see the actual program. Any chance for some of you privileged people to tape me that rebroadcast this thursday? Ain't too proud to beg on this...
01-20-03 08:31 AM
Moonisup here are another 2 pictures. with thanks to IORR:

01-20-03 09:29 AM
luxury1 There was a black fedora stuck onto the end of Mick's wardrobe wrack on stage Sat night. Gee, I wonder ....
01-20-03 10:00 AM
Sir Stonesalot I saw that Luxy!

I wondered the same thing out loud when I saw it.

It sure looked similar.
01-20-03 10:55 AM
TomL I think we all knew what the setlist would. Great to meet you all at YOTI. Had fun there and at the post party at Walters. Made it back to the room at 6AM. Glad I had someone to drive me back home.

[Edited by TomL]
01-20-03 01:07 PM
goatshead I recorded it on minidisc and it sounds great. The guitars are pretty high up in the mix. The only Chuck you notice is in some of the early songs, he just plays some annoying little doodles on the keyboard similar to some of the things Billy Preston did in the LA 75 show I have. But that Midnight Rambler may have been the best performance by the Stones in the modern era (1989 - present). They kicked ass and it was nice to hear Mick work the crowd with the "ows" like he did in 73.
01-23-03 03:58 PM
L&A Maybe I come late with info, but here's HTW with Sheryl... Sorry if it was posted before.

www.onlysherylcrow.com
01-23-03 05:45 PM
crb69 Midnight Rambler was worth experiencing all over again let alone anything else they did. I have a funny feeling CYHMK was better when we went in September. Though the show on the 18th seemed to be better as a whole. I have to admit the HBO show seemed better at the Garden as compared to what the cameras caught on film. I think it has to do with the TV sound mixing.
01-24-03 12:07 PM
Street Fighting Man Totally enjoyed the show!

What can I say - I'm just glad the Stones are still around after all these years to still "Rock it up!"
01-26-03 05:54 PM
Gazza Finally got to see it - thanks to Purrcafe for sending me the video...very nice show

I'll be happy to tree a video of it in a couple of weeks (when I get it transferred to PAL) for anyone outside North America whose VCR plays PAL format
01-28-03 09:55 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Great image here http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v?TARGET=showImage&article_id=3e35feb785057&image_num=1
01-28-03 10:16 AM
luxury1 Wow--now that is a close -up. And I thought I had mentioned to Mick that he must bleach his bottom teeth to match the pearly whites on top. God, I must keep after that man.
Page: 1 2 3 4

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST