ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pepsi Center, Denver, CO - February 1, 2002
Steven R. Nickerson - Rocky Mountain News
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: MSG January 18 . Setlist, reviews and pix Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
01-18-03 11:43 PM
Martha

The show was incredible Keef shined like a beacon...he was unstoppable....reminded me of the Detroit show where I couldn't take my eyes off of him...he mesmerized me. The boys played their hearts out tonight.......that'll kick come HBO ass!!!!!
01-18-03 11:52 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy My God.

That show... was terrible.

Well, terrible in comparison to actually being there.

Over EVERY FUCKING SONG was this terrible veil known as Chuck Leavell's FUCKING GODDAMN KEYBOARD. It *wrecked* "Midnight Rambler", "Sympathy For The Devil", "Street Fighting Man", "If You Can't Rock Me", "It's Only Rock'n'Roll"... The list goes on and on.

The soundboard was absolutely godawful and they should be ashamed of themselves. Keith and Ronnie were both playing second fiddle to that fucking terrible noise (Chuck... buddy... usually your stuff would sound pretty good as background noise rather than fucking center stage... but "Sympathy For the Devil" is *NOT MEANT TO SOUND LIKE ELEVATOR MUSIC AT THE JAMAICAN SECTION OF DISNEYLAND*.) until finally Keith managed to get himself turned up. But then... then the frustration only increased.

Frustration surrounding that other guitar player, Ron Wood. Some damn good stuff in the beginning. But then something weird happened.

Sure, Keith was great the entire night. Kicking ass, taking names. But it felt like he was playing the lower note of a higher harmony... and Ronnie was answering him, but was absolutely unheard. His stuff during "Brown Sugar", for the .002 seconds it was audible, was absolutely flooring. You could see he and Keith were hearing it, because they were really grooving together. But that fucking soundboard operator just drowned it out, replaced it with that klunking away... God, it just drains you to hear something that painful.

And "Sympathy". "Sympathy" had me in tears. Because when they cut to Ronnie, I picked up on what he was playing.

Mick Taylor's rhythm line, flawless, from Get Your Ya-Ya's Out, circa 1969. Absolutely inaudible.

God damn everything.

I'm going to bed.

This fucking sucks, and they should be ashamed of themselves. Half the night I was banging my fists in frustration as I went through every possible configuration of speakers to get the goddamn Chuck Leavell clunking synthesized second-tier Ian Stuart playing out of my head. The only good thing of the night was Keith's playing, which was awesome. But it sounded about 50% of the time like he was playing with something only he could hear.

Ronnie, turned down below the human audible range.

Fucking hell.

I am *not* happy.

-tSYX. Fuck everything.
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
01-18-03 11:59 PM
LadyJane TSYX---you must go to bed young man!! Methinks your cable company pulled a fast one on you!! You could not have been watching the same concert as I. For you to classify the concert as "terrible" is unfathomable.

LadyJ.

01-19-03 12:02 AM
Nellcote Again, The Gods Have Shined Upon Us.....
Great Show Lads! This is THE STONES, lest we forget!

THE GREATEST ROCK N ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD

THE ROLLING STONES!

dant

THE ROLLING STONES!!
01-19-03 12:02 AM
Boomhauer TSYX, I think you're right.

You have to be at the concert to fully appreciate the music or you need a really good surround sound system in your home. I don't have that, though.

But.......I thought Honkytonk was the worst song of the night, and I think it sounded like just a bunch of....crap. It was so slow and distorted. Sheryl Crow killed a vibe.........damn it.........I tell ya. I really didn't care for her guest appearance.

Keith, though, was tearing the shit out of his guitar. Charlie did his thang. Mick sounded good. Overall, I think I give the show an 8/10. Pretty damn good, but not the best.

As I said before, it's just too bad that the Stones rely on Chuck Leavell so much. He made it seem like he is a *Rolling Stone*, when in all actuallity, he ain't.
[Edited by Boomhauer]
01-19-03 12:06 AM
corgi37 Sounds like a a-1 set list. But, Savage's post sounds really depressing. I suspect this show will be available to us aussies as a pay per view before the guys come out. I hope something is done about the "clunking" of Leavell. I have always been disappointed with their sound on their vids/dvd's. Ronnie seems to be invisible on voodoo lounge and the over amplified audience on the b2b dvd is so fucking fake and distracting. I can only pray that this becomes the arena set list for their aussie tour. I can imagine experiencing midnight rambler, getting paramedics to calm me down, maybe having to resusitate me, then the do cyhmk, and i freak out again. Good luck to you Yanks for witnessing a great event anyway.
01-19-03 12:11 AM
keefa Yes, Ronnie was near inaudible. I saw him playing but nothing was coming out. Keith was a fucking god. I was so fucking mad at Chuck--his keyboard just totally ruined some of the songs. I dont know what they are thinking with him. Great show otherwise though, REALLY enjoyed Midnight Rambler!
01-19-03 12:16 AM
tumblingdice Were you watching the same show? I had my Dish hooked to the Stereo and it may have been the best show I have heard including all the boots. Sound was great thru the stereo and Ronnie was loud in the mix for me and great. Proved tonight for all to see The Greatest Rock-N-Roll Band In The World!!!!
01-19-03 12:18 AM
Boomhauer Mick had some cool dance moves.

I gotta try some of those. The chicks love it.
01-19-03 12:21 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy My recording of the show will have gaps in it where I was frantically adjusting my sound system to try and bring up Ronnie and down Chuck... to no avail.

Ronnie was piping-hot-good on several numbers, including "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". But he was also piping-hot-good-and-inaudible on others late in the show, such as "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" (empty sounding... admittedly he didn't really start playing until halfway through, but then he and Keith put it to shame... pity you could only hear Keith 99.932% of the time), "When The Whip Comes Down" (saved totally by Keith, way to go, man!), "Brown Sugar", "Sympathy" (ugg!), "Don't Stop", "Gimme Shelter", "Satisfaction" (he was audible for a few brief seconds at the end, where he gave the song a whole new lease on life... and then it ended).

-tSYX --- I can't get no satisfaction...
01-19-03 12:34 AM
Maxmeister
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
TSYX---you must go to bed young man!! Methinks your cable company pulled a fast one on you!! You could not have been watching the same concert as I. For you to classify the concert as "terrible" is unfathomable.

LadyJ.

You are correct, LadyJ. I thought, er I know the mix was very good. Probably not as good as a street release would be but excellent none the less. It may have something to do with my Directv. The seperation was good and I could hear Ronnie and Keith. And Chuck for that matter.
I'm watching the west coast feed now and the sound is excellent.

Rick
01-19-03 12:35 AM
Sir Stonesalot Well....The best thing would be to have been there.

The next best thing is watching that concert on a 62" Enormousscreen, 5.1 dolby digital surroundsound....

REALLY LOUD!!!

I am picking the meat of that show from between my teeth, and am still tasting it.

This show was nearly flawless. I am all a-twitter.

It's the best thing that I've seen on TV since...EVER!

There is NO ONE else who can do what was done on the TV show. Only the Stones.

Stones. Only ever Stones.
01-19-03 12:36 AM
full moon FUCK YOU NEGATU+IVE MOTHERFUVKERS<< ITHUNK THIS WASBTHE BEST SHIW EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VDRUIN K UNTILL T_OUT CANT NO MOTE
01-19-03 12:40 AM
Boomhauer Again, full moon. Are you talking to me?

I thought the only weak part of the show was HTW, and the rest of it rocked. I'm not going to say it's the best ever, though. They just do what they do, and THAT thing they do is play great rock shows.
01-19-03 12:44 AM
full moon Boom, you are the MAN IN CHI TOWN>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wgere ere you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE are partying all NIGHT LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-19-03 12:49 AM
no_cole_porter I thought the fun thing was all the guitars we go to see. Keith finally took the capo off the 4th fret on Malcolm and used him for songs other than JJF and SFM. I also enjoyed Ronnie using that Danelectro Sitar. His Gretsch was pretty nice to. Maybe a Duo Jet or something. The Licks tour has Keith using his Gibson ES-355 for some interesting songs like Satisfaction. I don't think he's done that before on any tour. Did he use Micawber? I can't remember now...LOL
01-19-03 12:49 AM
FPM C10 Oh, HERE'S where everyone is!

It seems that the "FUCK that was GREAT" votes outnumber the "that sucked" votes. The sound where I sat was generally balanced well, although Keith was dominant in the mix (which is NOT a bad thing). Chuck wasn't too loud, and I could hear Woody FINE. And he was playing GREAT.

I'm sure there were individual moments at other shows that surpassed tonight - especially at some of the theater shows - but that was the best arena show I've seen.
And it was broadcast for everyone to tape.

I thought they sounded incredible right outta the gate. SFM blew me away. I have a hard time rating this because not everyone saw it on a 62" tv with crystal-clear sound so loud I think I lost a filling.

It seemed to me that Keith got lost more than once - it looked like Charlie had a hard time following him momentarily in "Thru and Thru", for instance, and there were a few "how do we end this song?" glances exchanged among the band members - but overall this was an incredible show. It was an unbelievably generous gift the Stones laid on us tonight. I can't think of any shows I have in my library that can beat it.

01-19-03 12:53 AM
littleredrooster A fantastic performance!

Did Mick NAIL 'Angie' OR WHAT!!!!!

Keith was the best I've heard tonight !

GREAT SHOW!!!
01-19-03 12:55 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Oh, HERE'S where everyone is!

It seems that the "FUCK that was GREAT" votes outnumber the "that sucked" votes. The sound where I sat was generally balanced well, although Keith was dominant in the mix (which is NOT a bad thing). Chuck wasn't too loud, and I could hear Woody FINE. And he was playing GREAT.

I want a copy of your tape!

Grrr... All I can hear is Leavell, Leavell, everywhere... like a peppy elevator music spectre.

God, it makes me grind my teeth every time I hear that goddamn fake piano he uses. And I couldn't hear that boy Woody playing *at all* on "Sympathy", "Satisfaction"... I'm too tired to re-list 'em all.

But everyone seems to think this was the greatest show ever, and now I'm wondering what I missed.

I hope the live album from this sounds nothing like my tape.

I don't know what's going on... I've been away for far too la-aww-awww-ong...

I'm going over the concert in my head again and again... but all I'm getting is those moments of fist-pounding shouting-at-the-television frustration, which far outnumber the "This is fucking incredible" moments a la towards the end of "Rambler" when they finally figured out the reason that fucking constant rising inversions of the same chord played on a terrible little electric rock-n-roll-killing-machine known as the Leavell Piano were wrecking the song.

I don't get it.

-tSYX.
01-19-03 12:55 AM
luridchief I'm watching it again via the west coast feed--poor Mick just couldn't get that drink of water before everybody else launched into "Tumblin' Dice!" : )

Mix sounds okay to me, although Ronnie is a little low.

Chuck is like an alcoholic uncle or a gassy bulldog . . . you don't really like 'im, but you're stuck with 'im! I've love to hear Ian Mac instead, but what are we gonna do?

Again, great show!
01-19-03 12:57 AM
Boomhauer They showed the video, too. I guess that was supposed to be the "Brief Nudity", but I think they indicated they ahead of time in case they caught some chick flashing her ta-ta's.

No ta-ta's on TV

But we had the Stones
01-19-03 01:15 AM
no_cole_porter The only thing I have a beef with is Lisa's freak out during Satisfaction. What the fuck happened man? I've never heard such nutty singing ever.
01-19-03 01:16 AM
tumblingdice Xyzzy, I hate it was bad for you. Did you maybe only have TV speakers? Just wondering as it sounded great on mine thru Directv hooked to the Stereo. Man it was awesome and Ronnie was in the mix good on my end. A little low on Don't Stop maybe but good on the rest . I hope you can get a good recording of it somewhere else so you can enjoy it too. I am not bashing you, friend, I am just dissappointed you did not get to enjoy it as well. It just blew me away!!!
01-19-03 01:20 AM
tumblingdice JB hurry and give us a review from the show and how it sounded there at the Garden. I would think it blew you guys away, I thought it was that great on TV. I was yelling and cheering most of the show.
01-19-03 01:25 AM
luridchief Izzy--you might want to give the show another viewing. I'm enjoying it even more the second go around. I was apprehensive the first time, wondering what the next song will be, not wanting anyone to fuck up too bad, worrying that Mick might have a heart attack on live TV, etc. : )

This go round, I'm drinking some beers and enjoying. I've also noticed that the mix is better NOT going through my VCR--this time it's going right from the outputs on the back of my digital cable coverter into my receiver. I even hear stuff coming from my Surround speakers, which I didn't notice the first time. It might be your system, pally.

A good night to be a Stones' fan. A lot of us will never be totally happy and we'll nitpick--myself included--but these guys are still at it, sounding and looking great at an advanced age . . . and kicking ass for a MAJOR live television event. It's 2003 and they're still rockin'! You can't ask for much more!

We should think of the poor Who fans and consider ourselves lucky . . . !

01-19-03 02:02 AM
woodywoodpecker Im really Jealous,
I hope us Aussies get to see it! I do have a copy on the way though. Savage I know exactly where you are coming from
with Ronnie in the mix ect... But I have not seen the Concert so I dont want to judge, I just hope he is playing better than 97.
01-19-03 02:04 AM
Nasty Habits I had to go out tonight, but I just got back and watched it, and I thought it was absolutely terrific. The sound was very good, and I had no trouble hearing Ron or Keith, in fact, I thought the balance was right on on everything but Angie, and I thought just Mick was too loud on that - my reception of the mix was pristine.

I've got to admit, I've had my doubts about Keith on this tour, but he has completely silenced me tonight. I supplicate myself to his glorious presence. Welcome back, oh master. He was spectacular - the whole band was, but Keith was in extra fine form. Wow -- I know for a fact he didn't play that well at any of the shows I saw in September and October. He was great -- made an absolute racket on almost every song.

There wasn't a number, including Sympathy, that didn't eventually ignite into something pretty special -- Keith's second solo on that song was jagged, raw, and piercing -- just what I wanted to hear him play -- and when Mick did the falsetto at the end . . .damn. How anybody could have been disappointed in, say, that version of Let It Bleed or Midnight Rambler is beyond me. The chemistry on that stage was palpable.

I think that was pretty close to a definitive televised rock and roll performance. Unflagging energy, good sound, no real sops to a television audience. So much better than their last pay per views I can hardly believe it was the same band. They got over performing to a live audience rather than a tv crowd, and they got over by purely being the Rolling Stones.

I did hate those dumb Photoshopped still photos they pumped in between songs. That sucked.

But otherwise. . . .

That was great!

01-19-03 02:36 AM
Highwire Rob SavageYoung, I there is going to be an HBO re-broadcast this coming Thursday; here's the HBO site quote:

Rolling Stones: Live From Madison Square premieres Saturday, January 18, 2003 at 9pm ET/PT with an encore play on 1/23 at 9pm ET/PT.

You have at least four days, though, to make some adjustments to your equipment, if necessary.

Did anyone notice if garments and odds & ends were thrown up on the small stage? Just curious if the band members picked anything up or had to dodge anything?

--Rob.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
01-19-03 02:40 AM
luridchief Ronnie picked up a white cowboy hat and I believe that he almost put it on . . . !
01-19-03 03:11 AM
Mickjagger1963 Just got back to Troy, NY from the Garden.. Holy shit ... Chuck wasnt too loud live .... but Ronnie was low.... Cant you hear me knockin was absolutley sick.... a few notes since I was right behind Chuck/Lisa/Bernard/Blondie... Blondie plays guitar alot more than i thought he did....Chuck isnt as bad as everyone says he is... Lisa isnt as hott as she thinks she is and Bernard is one cool mofo, and played piano on a few numbers... Ill try to write a real review tommorw.. but im heading to bed for now
Page: 1 2 3 4

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST