ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Music Hall, Omaha, NE - June 13, 1964
© World Herald Photos with thanks to Li'l Brian!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ray Manzarek wants to beat up the Stones? Return to archive
January 24th, 2006 04:44 PM
The Eggman

Watching this lousy clip of how Manzarek plans to take his new band "Riders On The Storm" to the top. Half-way thru the last question he states, he'd "love to go head on with those frail English boys..." MAN...HE HAS TRULY LOST IT NOW!

link

http://msnbc.com/modules/take3/dec/default.htm?s=4&p=3
[Edited by The Eggman]
[Edited by The Eggman]
January 24th, 2006 05:12 PM
CraigP This guy is a freak.
January 24th, 2006 05:41 PM
zonked77 I'm working with punk dial up, the clip won't load, grrr...

Again I didn't see it to make a fair assumption but could his statement have only amounted to hearty competition as opposed to a put down? In his book Light My Fire, Manzarek talked about a show in 69 in which Mick attended; how he felt ashamed because Jim was up to his antics again and as a result the show went to hell. He heard that Mick was talking about The Doors and wanted to check them out. Manzarek wanted them band to put on a great show for him.

BTW I saw the then "20th century doors" last April at a small theater venue (1500 seats), and they really were awesome. They were tight; the setlist was great, the acoustics were perfect and the venue was so small, there was a good view from even the farthest seats.

Tiffani

January 24th, 2006 06:37 PM
Soldatti I don't like the "Doors of the 21th Century". What the hell is that? The same goes for Queen+Paul Rodgers.
January 24th, 2006 06:40 PM
purrcafe Ray Manzarek has been riding Jim Morrison's corpse to the bank for the last 30 years (give or take).

He gave a great speech when the Doors were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but my one and only interaction with him leads me to believe that he is a DICK.
January 24th, 2006 07:13 PM
the good The Stones and the Doors never liked each other. The Stones saw the doors live one time and were totally unimpressed, and Morrison used to get really annoyed in interviews when people compared him to Mick.
January 24th, 2006 07:26 PM
Saint Sway theres a lot of dissing of Chuck Leavell's keyboard style on this site. But Chuck has grey in-grown pubes with far more talent than Ray Manzerek ever had.

Manzarek has always been a fool.
January 24th, 2006 07:55 PM
corgi37 He's had way, way too much Peyote. His brain is fried. I used to absolutely love the Doors when i was younger. But, it's kind of worn off now - as i approach THE END.

I put on Live in Europe on the week end, as i hadnt watched it in years. I turned it off after 10 minutes. I guess they simply are from another era. Pity Manzarak still acts like its 1968.

Hell, he probably thinks IT IS 1968! hahaha.

Here came out here years ago when Amercian Prayer was re-released. He was a total cock. It aint about the music, its about the money.

The new Doors came here a year ago, and got very good reviews. I love the Cult too, so Ian Astbury is a bit of a fave, and a good Morrison-lite.

In Sugarman's book, he says the Doors were often referred to as "America's Rolling Stones". I've seen Bill say and have read that he absolutely hated the Doors.

When Daltrey was out here quite a few years ago, he said he hated them too. When they were at the Isle of WIght gig together in 1970, Rog offered Jimbo a drink of booze. Jimbo drank the whole thing! Townsehend has said in a Rolling Stone article that he was so shocked by Jimbo's antics that he wrote a song about it. Cant recall which song it was though. It's kinda well known.

I used to think of the Doors as the best Yank group. I think i can truly say i have changed my mind, and support the Osmonds all the way.
January 24th, 2006 08:50 PM
stonedinaustralia Manzerak is an A grade idiot

January 24th, 2006 09:20 PM
Lazy Bones Eggy...that really you? Welcome back!
January 24th, 2006 10:17 PM
The Eggman YOU KNOW IT!

Good to be back, Lazy Bones, Voodoo, Joey, ...
January 25th, 2006 12:22 AM
JumpinJackFlash I have to say, I liked the Doors more for the music than I did the singing, there was some great tunes played while Jim screamed from the top of his head. From bashing David lee Roth to Ray Manzerek on this board, these are opinions. Nothing wrong with that.
January 25th, 2006 12:30 AM
Beast of Alice The Doors love the Stones.I have read it numerous times.Ray may be living somewhat in the past,but I saw him in SF a few years back and he was great.Good stories and he played fantastic!
January 25th, 2006 01:02 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Beast of Alice wrote:
Ray may be living somewhat in the past,

the past...more like fantasy land
January 25th, 2006 02:18 AM
Jumacfly the Doors were great and you re all jealous cuz Morrison got more balls than Jagger!
January 25th, 2006 02:43 AM
Honky Tonk Man Ah, The Doors! I used to worship at the alter of Morrison when I was 16, then it was all over when I hit 17. It's funny, because although I can appreciate their albums and I DO like some of them, I don't think I could listen to them with real enjoyment now. They're far too much of a "time and a place" thing for me. I think it's healthy though. I think kids need their rock n' roll hero and Jimbo, well; Jimbo was mine for a whole year!
January 25th, 2006 02:43 AM
FotiniD
quote:
the good wrote:
The Stones and the Doors never liked each other. The Stones saw the doors live one time and were totally unimpressed, and Morrison used to get really annoyed in interviews when people compared him to Mick.

And I think the same goes for the fans. At least for me it does Nah, just my biased opinion...
January 25th, 2006 02:45 AM
glencar I'm just amazed he's still around...
January 25th, 2006 02:53 AM
Jumacfly Manzarek is a great musician!
January 25th, 2006 04:35 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Manzarek is a great musician!

Yeah, and Robbie is one hell of a rock n roll guitar player.
January 25th, 2006 04:37 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Yeah, and Robbie is one hell of a rock n roll guitar player.

Roadhouse blues is a rnr anthem
January 25th, 2006 04:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels I'm slow to catch on sometimes, maybe most of the time , but I saw him on TV about three years ago and nearly shit myself. I aways knew he was good but up until that point I didn't realize just how good. I'd put him in the top 20 RnR guitarists of all time without any hesitation.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
January 25th, 2006 04:48 AM
Jumacfly thaks for the pic TTM ,I believe what you said despite his Beatie boys looks
January 25th, 2006 08:32 AM
corgi37 I am hard on the old Manzarak now, but cant diss his contribution to that band or Yank rock. Think about it. He came up with THAT riff for Light my fire. He played keyboards AND BASS simultaneously, as well as sang backing, and on many occasions, did the full vocals as well, because the "Lizard King" was, er, unable to.

But, sadly, it was all over by 71. Nothing he ever did since remotely matched what he did then. That must kind of fuck ya a bit, knowing at 30 or so, you aint never gonna do anything new that people give a stuff about. Hey, does that apply to the Stones too?? hahaha.

But old Ray is like that old coot in the corner of the pub, who no one talks to, but once some one does, you cant shut the fucker up. Nothing about current stuff, but all about what he did 40 years ago.

I still like the Doors, but cant listen to alot of their stuff anymore as its terribly dated. I have every album. 1st & 2nd are magic. Waiting for the sun is so-so. Soft Parade has maybe 3 good songs, but is easily one of the worst releases by a major act in the 60's. Satanic Majesties included! Morrison Hotel/Hard rock cafe is brilliant. And LA WOmen is fucking art! Their live album is great too. Some unreal and hilarious stuff from the owner of the venue. Their version of "Gloria" is marvellous stuff.

But, i agree. Jimbo is the perfect archytype anti-hero for teeny boppers. No doubt sort of replaced by Cobain, and maybe even some of those original punky types. But, Jimbo's schtick really wears thin once he gets into that poetry. Man, its so bad! "Ode to the death of my cock" - Yes, indeed. hahahahaha.

But, shit, is there anything better than being 20 years of age, absolutely shit-faced, and screaming "I am the Lizard King" at parties? Best thing is, most people didnt know who the fuck the Doors were, let alone that Jimbo made that reference, so i sort of took it as something i made up! True! hahaha. Gotta say though, didnt go down to well at a copper Christmas party i went to a few years ago. hahahaha.

Yes folks, the Doors had their place. They have some 100% bona-fide classics in their armoury, and it would be churlish to deny them their place in the spotlight of rock legends. I certainly feel they are more important than any other West Coast band of that era, like the Dead, the Fish, the Airplane, or the Archies. It's Light my fire, roadhouse blues, la woman, touch me, riders on the storm i hear often on my oldies station, instead of white rabbit.

Oh, and hey, my Mum went to his grave on her 1st trip to Paris and got some piccies taken by a nice Canadian guy. Fucking awesome too! I had it enlarged and framed, like a stupid 22 year old fan boy. hahaha. Of course, i didnt frame the pic of her big frigging head in the frame. hahaha.

P.S. Ray sings lead vocal on the very rare "Weird scenes in the gold mine" compilation album. He sings a track called "You want meat?", and it is superb. Very bluesy. As far as i know, that is the only album that track is on.
[Edited by corgi37]
January 25th, 2006 12:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot >He came up with THAT riff for Light my fire.<

Really?

If Manzarak came up with that riff, then why is the song credited to Robbie?

The Doors suffer from the same thing that Zep and Kiss suffer from. They were great while you were in 4th grade, but by the time ya hit jr. high school they were kinda lame.

January 25th, 2006 01:10 PM
doo doo doo Dude Manzarek is a fool. Their music has not aged well at all and Morrison's lyrics/poetry are atrociously pretentious (worse than Plant's!).

I remember reading that when Jagger was asked after the show he saw what he thought he replied simply, "boring". Couldn't agree more.
January 25th, 2006 03:17 PM
purrcafe Manzarek and Mike Love ought to form a band. They have a lot of common ground to build on :both made a lucrative career of riding on the coattails of others and the both resent the Stones!
January 26th, 2006 07:59 AM
corgi37 Words and music of LMF are by Kreiger. The organ intro, of which the song really stands out, was done by Ray.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)