ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

International Ampitheatre, Chicago - June 20, 1972 1st Show
Unknown author with special thanks to Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Woody art exhibition in Belfast in February Return to archive
January 23rd, 2005 07:41 AM
Gazza Rolling Stone Ronnie gets satisfaction from painting

By Gary Grattan

22 January 2005
An exclusive one-man exhibition of art work by Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood is coming to Belfast for the first time next month.

Although he is best known for his music, Ronnie was born into a family of enthusiastic artists.

During the war, before Ronnie was born, the Woods saw out air-raids in a bomb shelter in the garden.

His brothers, Art and Ted, would fill the hours by drawing, with their dad Arthur teaching them. Ronnie followed his brothers to art school and his first job was as a signwriter.

Brother Art, now a successful commercial artist, said: "Dad didn't have any training but he had a natural flair for drawing. By the time Ron arrived, drawing and painting were already a firmly established part of our family and our growing up."

The exhibition, which includes works of other famous musicians and animals, is currently touring and has already been to New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Tokyo and Hong Kong.

As well as sketches, the exhibition will include portraits of John Lennon, who Ronnie knew when they both lived in New York, Jack Nicholson, Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison and many others.

He says: "Nowadays I draw people whenever I can, in the studio, in the control room - when I get a bit of time I just do a quick sketch.

"I go about drawing [them] in the same way I go about doing anyone.

"Some people get annoyed if they know I'm drawing them.I'll say 'stay like that', but they won't, so I have to get an average."

Of one classic set of Stones portraits, he says: "The Voodoo Lounge [pictures] were done in rehearsal. I sketched them quickly when they were just sitting there."

The limited edition screen prints, etchings and woodcuts are all signed by Ronnie Wood and will be on sale at the exhibition, with prices ranging from £500 to £4,500.

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk
January 23rd, 2005 11:24 AM
caro
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Rolling Stone Ronnie gets satisfaction from painting

There should be a fine for stupid paper titles. The collected money would then go to a Fund For Kickass Rock Journalism (FFKRJ).

BTW, did Ronnie have some sort of friendship with Jim Morrison? I had never heard that.
January 23rd, 2005 02:00 PM
glencar Does some of his work stay in galleries after the shows close?
January 23rd, 2005 04:36 PM
Gazza No - just like our banks, we end up stealing it all
January 23rd, 2005 05:02 PM
Jaxx if this exhibit passes through your town, make it a point to catch it. his work is fantastic and priced to sell. i saw the exhibit about 10 years ago but sadly missed it in '03.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood