ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

International Ampitheatre, Chicago - June 20, 1972 1st Show
Unknown author with special thanks to Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BAD NEWS - Jagger examined for cancer!!!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
January 20th, 2005 07:31 AM
JumpingKentFlash THIS IS FROM A TABLOID MAG. SORRY FOR THE HEADER!!!!

This is from yesterday. I saw an ad on TV for a Danish tabloid magazin called "Se og Hør" (Meaning: "Look and Listen"). They showed the mag's cover and Jagger was down in the bottom left corner. So I checked it out. Here's the article:
--------------------------------
den 19. januar 2005

MICK JAGGER: UNDERSØGT FOR KRÆFT

Rullestenen har på Gentofte Hospital været til observation for ondartede knuder på strubehovedet – en lidelse, der kan sætte en stopper for den legendariske rockgruppe.

Stemmen er en af de kendteste i verden ... ”Satisfaction” er blot et af de mange hits, som den har udødeliggjort. Men bag facaden, bag koncerttæpperne og her før optagelserne til det, der kan blive Rolling Stones’ sidste indspilning, kæmper Mick Jagger sit livs kamp.
Ikke alene for at bevare den stemme, der har gjort ham til en legende i rockbranchen gennem de sidste 40 år – men også mod de kræftknuder, der har sat sig på strubehovedet og i værste fald kan tage livet af ham.
SE og HØR kan som det første medie i verden afsløre Mick Jaggers frygt for den dødelige sygdom.
I behandlingen har han nemlig i dybeste hemmelighed kontaktet Amtssygehuset i Gentofte.
Læs mere om choknyheden i ugens SE og HØR.

Af Peer Kaae

I'll translate it for you:

Jagger examined for cancer.

The Rolling Stone has been at the hospital in Gentofte (Danish small city) to be observed for cancer in his throat - An illness that could stop the legendary rock band.

The voice is one of the most well known in the world ... "Satisfaction" is just one of many hits, which it has immortalized. But behind the facade, behind the curtains and before this that could be the last Rolling Stones session, Jagger is fighting the battle of his life.
Not only to keep the voice, which has made him legendary in the rock business in the past 40 years - But also against the cancer tumors that is on his throat and in the worst case could take his life.
Se & Hør can, as the first medium in the world, confirm Jagger's fear for the deadly decease.
In the treatment he has, secretly, contacted the hospital in Gentofte.
Read more about the shocking news in this week's Se & Hør.

That's awful news. If it's true. It is a tabloid magazine. And it is not known for it's credibility. But it COULD be true, and that's enough to get me worried as hell.

Here's the link for the Danish article: http://www.seoghor.dk/default.aspx?Action=ViewArticle&ItemID=391&GroupID=52

[Edited by JumpingKentFlash]
January 20th, 2005 07:40 AM
Gazza and was this before or after he went to LA for the awards?

Sounds a bit fishy to me - I hope the paper's as lacking in credibility as you say it is.

Funny theres not a sniff of this story anywhere else.

Mick did have throat problems at the end of the last tour and I guess its possible that he may have had some treatment to help his voice, but it sounds like mischief-making to me to suggest it's anything more sinister - plus it doesnt say when this alleged 'treatment' took place.

January 20th, 2005 07:42 AM
gypsy Calm down. As a medical professional, I see this all the time. Usually the patient will just have polyps on his or her vocal chords. There is no need to panic yet. The best thing to do is send prayers and good vibes Mick's way.
January 20th, 2005 07:43 AM
FotiniD Yeah, I don't bite it either. Even the style of the writing seems a little non credible... "We are the first to confirm", blah, blah, blah.

Never trust tabloids. If it's true it will show, but I doubt it.
January 20th, 2005 07:43 AM
Gazza "examined for cancer" or "observed for cancer" doesnt mean "treated for cancer". It could mean merely getting a health check

I would imagine that before the Stones sign up or insure themselves for any tour, they would get a physical check up.
January 20th, 2005 07:49 AM
Moonisup if it would be serious, it would smash in like a bomb, I wouldn't take it that serious
January 20th, 2005 07:52 AM
JumpingKentFlash Well, that tabloid is not known for it's credibility. I'm 75% sure that they also make it worse than it really is. But it just struck me, and I thought all of you, being Stones fans, had a right to know this. But as Gypsy also gives an insight in the medical world on this. And I bet you it ain't all that bad.
January 20th, 2005 07:53 AM
Moonisup well, mick is having some troubles with his voice, that's not new, that came up after the SARS concert in Toronto in 2003
January 20th, 2005 07:56 AM
Gazza Thanks for posting it, Kent and yes, obviously its something that would be of interest - credible or not.

Just checked BBC, Associated Press, Reuters, Yahoo and a couple of other major and credible news sources and ..nothing. No news features on Mick since the Golden Globes.

Personally, I think the words "boll" and "ocks" spring to mind here regarding this 'story'.
January 20th, 2005 08:14 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
if it would be serious, it would smash in like a bomb, I wouldn't take it that serious

The above fuckin' "news" made tears rolling from my eyes.....it can't be right....it can't be true........ I hope this is just tabloid rubbish from a lousy Dannish tabloid mag........
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
January 20th, 2005 08:19 AM
JumpingKentFlash Well it actually is a very VERY lousy mag. They have a shred of a fact and then make it into something big. But a shred of a fact is enough to get me worried.
January 20th, 2005 08:40 AM
Monkey Woman As I see it, the mag could just be making a mish-mash of Mick's previous voice problems (a few polyps or something) and Charlie's being treated (successfully!) for throat cancer. And why would Mick go to a Danish hospital, he doesn't live there after all. Is maybe Gentofte a very reputed clinic for throat problems?
January 20th, 2005 08:42 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
As I see it, the mag could just be making a mish-mash of Mick's previous voice problems (a few polyps or something) and Charlie's being treated (successfully!) for throat cancer. And why would Mick go to a Danish hospital, he doesn't live there after all. Is maybe Gentofte a very reputed clinic for throat problems?

You hit it right on the spot, if I may so Monkey Woman.

January 20th, 2005 08:46 AM
Monkey Woman I'm sending positive vibes to Mick anyway -- and to Charlie. Cancer is a nasty thing. Shame on the tabloid to put up b.s. like that.
January 20th, 2005 08:58 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Gazza wrote:
"examined for cancer" or "observed for cancer" doesnt mean "treated for cancer". It could mean merely getting a health check

I would imagine that before the Stones sign up or insure themselves for any tour, they would get a physical check up.

That's exactly right Gazza. Cross our fingers and let see what happen.
January 20th, 2005 09:05 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl As far as isn't prostate or testicle cancer it is curable

I hope this is just an annual check up with a tabloid adding something to sell more.
January 20th, 2005 09:10 AM
Monkey Woman ROTFLMAO!!!

Thanks for the pic, Voodoo! A smile is much needed today!

Speaking of tabloids, remember in 2003 during the European leg of the tour? A German tabloid had a fake interview of Mick speaking "frankly" of his "difficulties" to satisfy women... They stick at nothing!
January 20th, 2005 09:12 AM
gypsy Prostate cancer and testicular cancer can be treated if caught early enough.
The worst type of cancer is colon cancer.
January 20th, 2005 09:22 AM
jb
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Prostate cancer and testicular cancer can be treated if caught early enough.
The worst type of cancer is colon cancer.

Agreed...particularly if caught early....Colon cancer also has a high cure rate if caught early, but once it spreads, very terminal...however, I would say stomach cancer and pancreatic cancer are the most devastating...simply no hope and very rapid death...
January 20th, 2005 09:33 AM
FotiniD Hey, very nice discussion we got ourselves here

Now, if we could just change the subject...

-------------------------------------------------------------

www.sky.com

Britney Out In Baby Store
Britney Spears has been out shopping in a baby store - and reportedly told staff she is nine weeks pregnant.

The scruffy Toxic babe - who wore a skimpy pink top with no bra - was snapped in trendy Babystyle in downtown LA.

It would hardly be a surprise, as Britney has hinted many times over that she's desperate to have hubby Kevin Federline's baby.

Shop staff claim she revealed she is more than two months pregnant - but no official announcement has been made.

The pop diva recently said she couldn't wait to become a mum, in a bombshell letter dedicated to her own mother.

The letter, reproduced on her official website in November: "I relate to her so well because she's a young mom. A lot of people think you should wait until you're older before you have kids.

"The only thing I haven't done so far is experience the closest thing to God and that's have a baby. I can't wait!

If the news of a pregnancy is true, she would have conceived already when she wrote her gushing statement. Maybe her dreams are about to come true ...

Britney, 22, wed dancer Kev in Los Angeles last year after annulling her first, days-long marriage to an old friend after a mad night out in Vegas.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Now, much, much better
January 20th, 2005 09:34 AM
jb This is overwhelming..Charlie and Mick....I guess that's it.....lets just pray for their health.
January 20th, 2005 09:37 AM
FotiniD
quote:
jb wrote:
This is overwhelming..Charlie and Mick....I guess that's it.....lets just pray for their health.

JB, you sure like to drop the spirit, don't you?
Charlie's fine. I repeat: f-i-n-e.

And this is just a stupid tabloid spreading unbased rumours. Where do you see any exact proof of Mick's "condition"?

Now focus on the Britney story and let's forget about the tabloid.
January 20th, 2005 09:41 AM
Monkey Woman Focus on the Britney story? Yeah, um... I'd rather discuss BRAIN cancer!
January 20th, 2005 09:41 AM
jb People denied the Charlie story as well....we must come to terms with the fact that years of partying have finally caught up with the band....throat cancer, if detected early, can be treatable.....look, Rod Stewart had thyroid cancer and seems to be doing fine....lets wish Mick a speedy recovery and forget about any future tour as we must at this point simply pray that they are still with us in the next few years...typical survival right can vary, but 5 years seems the most typical if caught early...............
January 20th, 2005 09:50 AM
gypsy jb, I'd like to mail you this huge pathology book I have. You could read it all day and diagnose yourself with just about everything in that book.
January 20th, 2005 09:52 AM
Monkey Woman You're full of cheerful thoughts today, jb, aren't you? But this is just not funny. And contrary to what your sick sense of humor compels you to say, "people" here or on other RS boards didn't deny the Charlie story because it came from a very good source. Which is not, repeat not, the case here. So, in lawyerspeak, I rest my case!
January 20th, 2005 09:53 AM
FotiniD
quote:
gypsy wrote:
jb, I'd like to mail you this huge pathology book I have. You could read it all day and diagnose yourself with just about everything in that book.

LOL, that is true Gypsy
January 20th, 2005 09:53 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
gypsy wrote:
jb, I'd like to mail you this huge pathology book I have. You could read it all day and diagnose yourself with just about everything in that book.

Starting with hypochondria, depression and paranoia. Great idea, gypsy!
January 20th, 2005 09:54 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Focus on the Britney story? Yeah, um... I'd rather discuss BRAIN cancer!

I'd rather even discuss a Village People comeback rather than cancer Monkey Woman
January 20th, 2005 10:00 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Josh ain't no hipochondriac.......is he?
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
Page: 1 2 3 4
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood