ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Luis Carreño – El Universal February 6, 1998
¡ Gracias Roger Riffin ¡
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: missing verse in sympathy for the devil on 1/18/03? Return to archive
01-22-03 04:07 PM
reech Noticed at the 1/18/03 MSG show (actually my wife noticed!!!!) that the Stones skipped the "shouted out who killed the kennedys" verse during Sympathy for the Devil.
I saw the other Garden show and didn't notice either way.

Anyone know if Mick is blowing off the verse completely during the tour or if it was an isolated incident?
01-22-03 04:40 PM
Jaxx i didn't notice that, but i DID notice mick blowing off a couple of lines in If You Can't Rock me at MSG on 1/18 as well as the MSG september show. he omitted: "Now who's that black girl in the bright blue hair, oh yeah
Now don't you know that it's rude to stare " but finished off the rest of the verse.

your noticed omission, my noticed omission...does this mean that mick is being "politically correct?" now what?
01-22-03 04:44 PM
winter I believe Mick has not sung that line in years ("the Kennedies" line in SFtD that is). I'm not sure, but I don't think he even sings it on Love You Live.

Anyway, I would think it is an intentional omission, but I don't know the story behind it.

wintah
[Edited by winter]
01-22-03 04:44 PM
Moonisup ohhhhhhhhhh hnhowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

not go there, don't be political correct!! He did not edit it on the 1997 PPV in Saint Louis, wich was a great version
01-22-03 04:46 PM
Moonisup
quote:
winter wrote:
I believe Mick has not sung that line in years. I'm not sure, but I don't think he even sings it on Love You Live.

Anyway, I would think it is an intentional omission, but I don't know the story behind it.

wintah

Sorry you are a bit wrong, he sung is for sure in 1997. In 1994-95 I ain't sure 'bout that one,
01-22-03 06:58 PM
Hooked He didn't sing it at any of the shows I saw this tour (Fed Ex and the two MSG shows last week). Don't know why...
01-22-03 07:39 PM
winter I am also pretty certain that he didn't sing it on Flash Point or at any of the shows I saw this tour.

I've wondered about that line myself, it probably would have jumped out at me if I heard him sing it.

I am just speculating, anyone know the story here for sure?

wintah
01-22-03 09:01 PM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
DID notice mick blowing off a couple of lines in If You Can't Rock me at MSG on 1/18 as well as the MSG september show. he omitted: "Now who's that black girl in the bright blue hair, oh yeah
Now don't you know that it's rude to stare " but finished off the rest of the verse.

I noticed this too Jaxx. Weird. He sang it in Boston at the Fleet tour opener but I wonder why he'd be omitting it now? Who knows. I think it's a bit strange. I kind of dig the way he sings that verse anyway. I think it's the way he says "stare". Call me a freak but I dig it... maybe it's his accent coming through, I don't know.
01-22-03 10:26 PM
Gimme Shelter The Kennedy's verse was not sung on the Steel Wheels tour, but was on Voodoo Lounge and No Security. I was at both San Francisco shows and the Oakland show of this tour and I'm pretty sure Mick sang it there.
01-23-03 09:25 AM
sly The kennedy's verse was sung from 94-99 tours but not 89 or this tour for whatever reason.. The "black girl" line in If U Cant rock Me has been sung many times this tour. Mick just flubbed it at MSG.
01-23-03 11:17 PM
NHStonesfan He flubbed it on the tonights replay as well.
01-23-03 11:55 PM
gypsymofo60 They usually always skip the Kennedys verse, I guess it just makes the song too long in concert.
01-24-03 10:18 AM
VirginiaMonkeyMan Wasn't "Kennedys" on Flashpoint?
01-25-03 12:07 PM
Gimme Shelter I don't think so. I just listened to "Flashpoint" last night. Granted I did have a few beers, but I still don't think I heard it.
01-25-03 12:14 PM
montana you're right gimme shelter. Kennedys is missing in flashpoint!
01-25-03 03:44 PM
throbby When I saw them in '98 at the Garden Mick changed the lyrics on When the Whip Comes Down. He sang " I was gay in NY and sad in LA". He sang the original lyrics when I saw them last. Guess it depends on the moment.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST