ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Luis Carreño – El Universal February 6, 1998
¡ Gracias Roger Riffin ¡
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: awesome keith article (at least for us australians) Return to archive
01-20-03 02:05 AM
fmk438j
Beatle accused of bowing to terror
By PAUL STEWART
19jan03
ROLLING Stones guitarist Keith Richards has criticised former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney for calling off an Australian tour because of the Bali bombings.

And the rocker, often described as "elegantly wasted" said he wouldn't let the terrorism threat change him.

"I say to Osama and the boys bring it on, evaporate me," Richards told The Sunday Telegraph on the eve of the band's Australian tour.

"If it gets to the stage where these guys are dictating if we rock or not, then forget about it. If McCartney uses these guys as an excuse, he should give it away. Don't give them the power. I can't wait to tour Australia, even if they take out my plane on the way there."

Richards was in his Connecticut home – an hour's drive from New York City – when the World Trade Centre was attacked.

"My son was actually dropping off my granddaughter at school in New York, but thank God he was running on Richards time, which is a fashionable hour late," he said.

"He actually saw the planes hit the buildings. My house was like a refugee camp because he and his family all came out to stay, as did some of Mick's (Jagger) family. I was born during the Blitz – remember when Adolf Hitler bombed London? – so it was nothing new to me."

Richards said he was looking forward to the Australian tour, because "we always have so much fun there".

'I can't wait to play Melbourne and yell out to the crowd 'Show us your map of Tasmania'," he said. "I remember playing Melbourne, hell, I can even remember visiting Albury."

He even displayed a surprising knowledge of our country music by singing The Red Back On The Toilet Seat down the phone from New York.

And he's even a fan of the other, more famous, Slim.

"Of course I know Slim Dusty. Who doesn't?" Richards said.

The jokes about The Rolling Stones, who are all nearing sixties years of age, being too old to rock are just not funny to Richards anymore.

"I do not care what the promoter is saying, this band will tour Australia again," Richards said.

"Man, we are never going to give it away. You tell them down there that Mr Richards is still very up for this gig."

And Richards revealed the Stones have a vast reserve of unreleased material.

"I know for a fact that there are many complete tracks lying around already," he said.

"What The Stones have released so far has been only the tip of the iceberg compared with what we have in storage."

01-20-03 03:02 AM
beer Great article, thanks!

"What The Stones have released so far has been only the tip of the iceberg compared with what we have in storage."

Now that's what I wanna hear!!!!! Keith acknowledges the unreleased stuff. Wasn't there talk about a box set of rare stuff, or was that just one of the many rumours that was flyin around before the tour?

01-20-03 03:12 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:

"Of course I know Slim Dusty. Who doesn't?" Richards said.

right on keith...you are the man!!

i'd love to hear him do "pub with no beer"
01-20-03 05:16 AM
gypsymofo60 What the hell were The Stones ever doing in Albury? Can you imagine a bootleg of a night in Albury?- 'The Rolling Stones_ Elegantly Wasted, In Albury/Wodonga'.....Good news from Keith though on the future for The Stones at least where he's concerned. As for McCartney, well I heard it on the grapevine that that flannel about terrorism was a handy excuse to fall back on when his mid-range tix failed to sell with the speed he expected. Never mind Sir Paul, you'd have sold out in Albury/Wodonga.
01-20-03 07:12 AM
corgi37 What a great article. I've cut it out at home and work. I work at a cop shop and have a "Stones" wall in my office. I aint a cop, i'm a public servant. keith's joke about the map of tassie is a bit old. He said the same thing in 95. I think he went to Albury in 95 too. I have posted before about a bbq that the boys wanted arranged. I know one of the cops who was security that day. he wasnt fussed over how old they were, but how short they were. And, with Jagger being in the paper again today, its all Stones, stones, stones. Other Aussies might recall the 95 tour also when the Stones seemed to take over the country. Here in Melbourne, they were on front page 5 days in a row. It adds so much to the excitement. Only trouble is, their is 39 bloody days to go! How will i cope?
01-20-03 02:50 PM
LadyJane [quote]fmk438j wrote:

"I say to Osama and the boys bring it on, evaporate me," Richards told The Sunday Telegraph on the eve of the band's Australian tour.

"If it gets to the stage where these guys are dictating if we rock or not, then forget about it. If McCartney uses these guys as an excuse, he should give it away. Don't give them the power. I can't wait to tour Australia, even if they take out my plane on the way there."

[/quote

Keith continues to amaze me. Just when think I couldn't love and respect him anymore than I already do, he comes up with yet another dazzling quip. And he managed to get a jab at Macca, yeah!!

Can you just see him taking out a bunch of towel-heads with his guitar? God Bless You Keith. You are the fighting spirit of Rock N Roll. Never surrender!!!

LadyJ.
01-20-03 03:15 PM
Mottrush Excellent article. Thanks fmk. That's another one for the Keith scrapbook.

I've heard him use the map of Tassie line before. I guess when they get here he'll start on Mick with the Ned Kelly jokes again!!
01-20-03 07:05 PM
exile theres a famous myth abouth Keith when he was in Australia in the 70's

Apparently he caight a cab (pretty out of it OF COURSE)
to the airport or across town

the cab driver said alright that will be $5.00 thanks

Keith misheard or misunderstood the cab driver and handed over $5000.00 and got out

probably thinking cabs are expensive in Australia

I heard this back in 95 cant rember all the details anyone else heard this story and can tell it better that my version here
01-20-03 07:46 PM
telecaster Wait till JB sees this. Keith taking a poke at Sir Paul.

Great article.
01-20-03 07:57 PM
sirmoonie One of the best articles of all time!

Way to go Keith! And release that stuff, goddamit! What the fuck are you guys waiting for?

I'm really glad for you Aussies. Waiting there so patiently all this time....

If thats true about McCartney, he is one giant wimp. I mean that is not only unrealistic, given he can get blown up probably even easier in England, but just wimpy.
01-20-03 09:35 PM
fmk438j
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
If thats true about McCartney, he is one giant wimp. I mean that is not only unrealistic, given he can get blown up probably even easier in England, but just wimpy.

And get this moonie, the Victorian Government were throwing in cash so that he'd show up in the first place, and he still didn't!
01-20-03 10:13 PM
gypsymofo60 Disregarding the events of WW2, I don't think there has ever been an act of INTERNATIONAL terrorism on Australian soil EVER! so even if he was trully concerned with that,(which he wasn't), that excuse holds no water whatsoever. He realised it was going to cost him more than he would re-coup. Yet we have people coming on hear telling us to boycott The Stones because they are apparently too greedy.
01-21-03 06:50 AM
stonedinaustralia what get's me about mccartney is that he had the brazen balls to actually use that as an excuse - whether it be out of respect for the bali victims or the fear of terrorists (whatever the "official" line was)... either way it's a crock of shit ...i mean, is he so far removed from reality that he thinks we don't know that that was just a bunch of crap...the fact is he just didn't have the demand to see him at the price he asked... if he was all sold out he would have been here in a minute...
01-21-03 06:53 AM
fmk438j Exactly SIA. Was New york City the safest place in the world when he performed the benefit there?

Most weak excuse ever.

More power to stones.
01-22-03 12:29 PM
sasca Keith might go ahead with a pre-arranged tour out of bloody-mindedness but he wouldn't agree to a tour in the first place if he didn't think there was a good chance of returning home to enjoy all the money it earned. I'd be more impressed with the Stones' rock'n'roll soul if they started touring outside the areas which guarantee them a big pay-day.
01-25-03 12:52 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
sasca wrote:
Keith might go ahead with a pre-arranged tour out of bloody-mindedness but he wouldn't agree to a tour in the first place if he didn't think there was a good chance of returning home to enjoy all the money it earned. I'd be more impressed with the Stones' rock'n'roll soul if they started touring outside the areas which guarantee them a big pay-day.

I don't think that's ever been the case really. Just look at The Mammoth Tours; 1972/73- 1994/95- 2002/03. You know what I mean? Two years on the road!!!!!! fucking teenagers couldn't make that scene. Maybe they just don't like South Africa.
01-25-03 04:13 PM
sasca Perhaps. But two years on the road equals two years of ticket sales. And it's not just South Africa. They - and most other groups - hardly venture outside the traditional areas.
01-26-03 01:06 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
sasca wrote:
Perhaps. But two years on the road equals two years of ticket sales. And it's not just South Africa. They - and most other groups - hardly venture outside the traditional areas.

Traditional areas = traditional, inflating bucks, and even people looking for a killer pay-day get tired.
01-26-03 09:06 AM
sasca Er...that´s sort of what I meant.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST