ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1975 Lynn Goldsmith
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A little Paypal help (NSC) Return to archive
25th January 2007 05:30 AM
FotiniD Well, I figured some of you might be familiar with this.

I logged on my Paypal account and I have limited access because allegedly someone tried to access it. I'm not so sure of that, but anyway, Paypal has asked me to take certain steps so that they can reactivate my account and go on with the paused payments.

One was to change my password, another was to change my security questions (which I did both) and the third one was to fax them a utility bill that will prove my address.

The questions is: do I trust this? Do I fax a utility bill to Paypal like that? I know I may be becoming paranoid, but I've been hearing a lot of creepy stories about frauds etc. Of course it seems to be legitimate - all the info is up on the Paypal site, not an e-mail.

On the other hand, my utility bill is in greek!!! How can they use it as a proof of address, since obviously, they can't read greek?!

I tried e-mailing Paypal but only got those automated responses, no luck. Has anyone had a similar experience before? Any suggestions? Or even a direct e-mail that is actually read and replied to by a human being?

I suppose the last resort would be calling them, but right now they're closed, so until then... any help will be much appreciated!
[Edited by FotiniD]
25th January 2007 06:55 AM
corgi37 Um, no. Cancel account and start it again. Paypal shouldnt ask for that info. Any way, if they did, still - cancel it and re-join. Dont take a chance.
25th January 2007 07:35 AM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Well, I figured some of you might be familiar with this.

I logged on my Paypal account and I have limited access because allegedly someone tried to access it. I'm not so sure of that, but anyway, Paypal has asked me to take certain steps so that they can reactivate my account and go on with the paused payments.

One was to change my password, another was to change my security questions (which I did both) and the third one was to fax them a utility bill that will prove my address.

The questions is: do I trust this? Do I fax a utility bill to Paypal like that? I know I may be becoming paranoid, but I've been hearing a lot of creepy stories about frauds etc. Of course it seems to be legitimate - all the info is up on the Paypal site, not an e-mail.

On the other hand, my utility bill is in greek!!! How can they use it as a proof of address, since obviously, they can't read greek?!

I tried e-mailing Paypal but only got those automated responses, no luck. Has anyone had a similar experience before? Any suggestions? Or even a direct e-mail that is actually read and replied to by a human being?

I suppose the last resort would be calling them, but right now they're closed, so until then... any help will be much appreciated!
[Edited by FotiniD]

Dont do anything. There are a lot of bogus e-mails purporting to come from paypal asking you to things like this. Paypal will never ask you for certain personal information.

If you check their site, they'll tell you how to report what you suspect may be a fraudulent e-mail.
25th January 2007 08:03 AM
SweetVirginia Fotini, if you received an email supposedly from PayPal saying you had to update your account and followed a link in that e-mail to PayPal, you must go onto the real PayPal site at once and change your password. The only way you should ever enter that site is by opening a new browser window and typing in www.paypal.com

There are many identity theft scumbags trying to get your password by sending those pfishing emails saying there appears to have been unauthorized access to your account.

You should also forward all these recent emails, especially the one giving you that fax number for your utility bill to [email protected] and let them analyze it.

You're a smart cookie....good thing you were suspicious of this!

SV

25th January 2007 08:21 AM
FotiniD Thanks you guys, but it wasn't an e-mail. I actually logged on to my Account, opening a new window, the normal procedure. It was on my account information - on the real paypal site. So by 99% it's not a fraud, but it's just frustrating that they won't reply in my e-mails.
25th January 2007 09:57 AM
Madafaka Fax? I never faxed anything to Paypal.
When you receive the credit card bill, you must log in into Paypal account and put the code in order to check your bill address.
Be careful and use Firefox.
25th January 2007 12:00 PM
egon Fotini,

call them... NOW

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact-phone
25th January 2007 02:36 PM
FotiniD I called them. Believe it or not, it was indeed Paypal who requested the fax, change of password etc. Now the problem has been solved (I never really understood what was the problem in the first case ) but I have to wait in queue until they release the funds...

Tell you what, Paypal is in serious need of some competition. It's starting to get really annoying.

Thanks for the help everyone!
25th January 2007 03:51 PM
chevysales
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Fax? I never faxed anything to Paypal.
When you receive the credit card bill, you must log in into Paypal account and put the code in order to check your bill address.
Be careful and use Firefox.

or ie7 and the phishing filter.
check certificates, etc.... smart computing no matter wtf browser your using.
25th January 2007 03:53 PM
chevysales
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Fotini, if you received an email supposedly from PayPal saying you had to update your account and followed a link in that e-mail to PayPal, you must go onto the real PayPal site at once and change your password. The only way you should ever enter that site is by opening a new browser window and typing in www.paypal.com

There are many identity theft scumbags trying to get your password by sending those pfishing emails saying there appears to have been unauthorized access to your account.

You should also forward all these recent emails, especially the one giving you that fax number for your utility bill to [email protected] and let them analyze it.

You're a smart cookie....good thing you were suspicious of this!

SV

correct and people fall for it all the time... and with all the publicity about phishing scams over the years you would think most are hip to it.

i see ebay finally tightened up after allowing scams for years.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)