ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1975 Lynn Goldsmith
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Has anyone ever performed JUST WANNA C HIS FACE live?? Return to archive
23rd January 2007 04:36 PM
Saint Sway I saw Rich Robinson do an incredible version of this on Friday night

really soulful - long, stretched out version. Keyboards were great. And Rich sang thru one of those old blues harp mics. Gave it a real cool bloozy and haunting sound.

I'm pretty sure the Stones have never tried it. Anyone know if any other bands ever tried to tackle this number before? Gazza??
23rd January 2007 04:48 PM
fireontheplatter the black crows are the shit.. i saw them in a small club when they first appeared....incred
i have gone off them a bit lately, but i wouldn't put it pass rich robinson to step up to the plate

the only person i have ever heard do it live is myself..as i walk down the street singing to myself

does that count?????

everybody say owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
[Edited by fireontheplatter]
23rd January 2007 06:54 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Stones have never tried it. Anyone know if any other bands ever tried to tackle this number before? Gazza??

Never seen 'em live so I don't know if they've done it, but The Blind Boys Of Alabama did a cover that's full on revelatin' .
23rd January 2007 07:00 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Never seen 'em live so I don't know if they've done it, but The Blind Boys Of Alabama did a cover that's full on revelatin' .

ahhhh yes! I remember that!! Very well done too.

Primal Scream recorded a studio version with El Vez but it was all pre-sampled trax and loops of other songs... JWSHF, Memo, Riders on The Storm, Marley...
23rd January 2007 11:52 PM
Taptrick
I saw Blind Boys in Palmdale Ca last year. I think they were here with Tedeschi. Both very good. Thank you City of Palmdale for a free show.

23rd January 2007 11:54 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The Blind Boys Of Alabama and Pussy Galore
24th January 2007 06:21 AM
Gazza The Stones have certainly never played it, but, as said above, the Blind Boys would have done almost certainly
24th January 2007 10:36 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
The Blind Boys Of Alabama and Pussy Galore

I assume not together. LOL!
24th January 2007 05:15 PM
Saint Sway GREAT REVIEW OF THE SHOW TODAY IN ROLLING STONE!!!

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...s-circle-sound/

Live Review: Black Crowes + North Mississippi All-Stars = Circle Sound

by David Fricke

Somehow, in the limited downtime on their respective dance cards, guitarists Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes and Luther Dickinson of the North Mississippi All-Stars have managed to form a third band, Circle Sound, and work up a repertoire of quality rock and blues covers. In fact, Robinson and Dickinson took the January 19th debut of their quintet at New York’s Bowery Ballroom seriously enough that they arrived with two-and-a-half-hours’ worth of songs, opening with the chunky country-fuzz of Neil Young’s “Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere,” closing with a feral encore of the Rolling Stones’ “Stray Cat Blues” and passing through the Band, Ry Cooder and Chess-blues songbooks along the way.
Robinson and Dickinson, who shared vocal duties, took plenty of solo-ing room for themselves too, spinning off on long individual breaks but also fencing with each other in close, heated exchanges that made fresh theater from an electric-blues warhorse like Willie Dixon’s “Spoonful.” In their regular jobs, both guitarists play a tangled-roots rock: the All-Stars like a Mississippi hill-country Cream; the Crowes with an acid-flavored heavy-Seventies flair. In Circle Sound, Robinson and Dickinson showed extra Catholic nerve, taking a rough, moving stab at the Band’s “Rockin’ Chair,” extending Cooder’s “Boomer’s Story” with instrumental crossfire and sticking double-Southern-guitar dynamite under the already dirty gospel of the Stones’ “I Just Want to See His Face” from Exile on Main Street.

Circle Sound’s rhythm section — drummer Bill Dobrow, organist-electric pianist Rob Clores and Black Crowes bassist Sven Pipien — was both fluid and tough, a perfect mix for a band that took the stage after only a day’s rehearsal. And Robinson and Dickinson showed that they know how to do more than fire hot licks, when Robinson introduced a surprise guest in mid-set: Patti Smith. While Smith sang and chanted about blackbirds and smoke signals with ascending-mantra force, the guitarists wrapped her in bright, delicate arpeggio and warm swirls of meditative blues.

Robinson hopes Circle Sound will play again in the spring, with more guests and a different set list. I’m glad they took their first bows in New York, but this is a show that deserves to go on the road — when the guitarists can find the time.

-- David Fricke
24th January 2007 05:16 PM
Saint Sway and this from JamBase

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=9810

CIRCLE SOUND
RICH ROBINSON & LUTHER DICKINSON

01.19.07 :: Bowery Ballroom :: New York, NY

SET LIST:
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, The Man In Me, Bang Bang Lulu, Mississippi Kid, Rockin' Chair, Boomer's Story, Just Wanna See His Face, Mommy - What's A Funkadelic, Leave It Alone, Veil, I'll Be Your Baby Tonight, song with Patti Smith (TBD), Mean Old World, Spoonful, .44 Blues, Meantown Blues

Encore: Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz, Places, Stray Cat Blues

This show was billed as "Circle Sound" featuring Rich Robinson on guitar/vocals, Luther Dickinson on guitar/vocals, Sven Pipien on bass, Rob Clores on keyboards and Bill Dobrow on drums. In addition to special guest Patti Smith, Santo played harmonica on .44 Blues.

24th January 2007 05:17 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
JB wrote:
word

24th January 2007 05:21 PM
ziggypayne
The North Mississippi Allstars have played it at least six or so times.
24th January 2007 05:30 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
JB wrote:

I dont like many "new" bands. . but I like the Crowes. They are nto the STones but have great guitars and loud that the Stones no longer have. I especially like "Monster Song". The Pearl Jma discs that Pug sent are unlistenable. I wish he would stop sending them.

24th January 2007 06:38 PM
JaggerLips Don't wanna walk and talk about Jesus I just wanna see his face....

Nice little song on Exile that. Always thought it was sort of an off the cuff song. Like a Glory Choir song.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)