ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1975 Lynn Goldsmith
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hammer Of The Gods Return to archive
20th January 2007 01:30 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Hammer Of The Gods
Star Tribune
January 16,2007

There's a reason it's called the hammer of the gods. The aura of the electric guitar has as much to do with the people who played it as it does six strings, 24 frets and two pickups. These are rock's most timeless guitars and the people who made them famous. FYI: You won't be seeing them stacked up in generic brown boxes in a discount store anytime soon.

FENDER STRATOCASTER

What makes it unique: An ability to capture a wide range of tones -- from mellow to funky "out of phase" to growling bite -- because of its three pickups and five-way switch.

Who made it famous: Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix, Roger Waters, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Ritchie Blackmore.

FENDER TELECASTER

What makes it unique: Its signature twang and bite.

Who made it famous: Keith Richards, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Joe Strummer and just about every country guy who has ever strummed a guitar.

GRETSCH

What makes it unique: The gritty yet twangy sound of a Gretsch hollow body.

Who made it famous: Brian Setzer, George Harrison, Chet Atkins, Lou Reed, Ted Nugent, Neil Young.

FENDER JAGUAR/JAZZMASTER/MUSTANG

What makes them unique: These mid- to low-end Fender guitars can go from grungy to jazzy to surfy sounding with a boost of the volume.

Who made them famous: Kurt Cobain, Elvis Costello, Dick Dale, J. Mascis, Sonic Youth, the Beach Boys.

GIBSON LES PAUL

What makes it unique: Chunky, wall-of-sound power chords.

Who made it famous: Slash, Jimmy Page, Marc Bolan, Mick Ronson, Ace Frehley, Steve Jones, the Allman Brothers.

GIBSON SG

What makes it unique: It can crank out a monolith riff that's brighter than a Les Paul.

Who made it famous: Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Pete Townshend.

RICKENBACKER

What makes it unique: That thin, bright, jangly sound.

Who made it famous: Tom Petty, the Byrds, the Jam, R.E.M., Pete Townshend, John Lennon.

ESP

What makes it unique: Heavy-metal thunder.

Who made it famous: Metallica, Deftones, Helmet, Megadeth.

KRAMER/ CHARVEL/ JACKSON

What makes them unique: The pointy headstocks and squealing pickups made them famous in the 1980s hair-metal heyday, despised in the '90s and, of late, retro-cool.

Who made them famous: Eddie Van Halen turned Kramer into the guitar for an army of finger-tapping wannabes.

NEWHOUSE NEWS SERVICE

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
20th January 2007 01:48 PM
lotsajizz Pagey played a fuckin' mean Telecaster from about '76 through '84-ish
20th January 2007 03:06 PM
Chuck Keith and Clapton played Les Pauls early on.
20th January 2007 07:11 PM
guitarman53 I thought this post was about Led Zeppelin's Bio at first, I love the Fender Strat, I would pick that for Rock ' N ' Roll anyday.
21st January 2007 07:53 AM
corgi37 SG for me.
21st January 2007 11:47 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Chuck wrote:
Keith and Clapton played Les Pauls early on.

Yes they did. Though Eric used a Telecaster when he was in The Yardbirds and Keith started out with a Harmony and then an Epiphone before picking up a Les Paul.

I like Les Paul's a lot. Along with Telecasters, they are the ultimate. I've never like Stratocasters. I find them boring and they sound way too clean. SG's I like, but I find them ugly.
22nd January 2007 05:00 AM
corgi37 In 13 months, i am getting a Les Paul when i go back to Hong Kong. It's a Epiphone, but i just aint got thousands to spare.

And Hammer of the Gods is maybe the single most awful book i have ever read. Most of the prose is made up of bagging the Stones.
22nd January 2007 06:41 AM
Homercles I got a black Epiphone Les Paul and it's totally friggin' cool. I wish I could play it better though. It's got Alice Cooper's backing group's autographs on it too. Alice tried to sign it but his daughter Calico broke the damn pen when she was signing it, & by the time it got to Alice sign it - it didn't work dammit. All you can see is a really faint 'A'. doh
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)