ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1975 Lynn Goldsmith
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Greatest Albums That Were Never Made... Return to archive
19th January 2007 09:28 PM
The_Worst I agree with #'s 1, 4, 9, 10, & 11!!!

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/57667
[Edited by The_Worst]
19th January 2007 09:37 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
The_Worst wrote:
I agree with #'s 1, 4, 9, 10, & 11!!!

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/57667
[Edited by The_Worst]

Number 4 did get made, but in scattered form. Pete proved once again that he is the greatest in various and remixed version of Who's Next, Odds/Sods, Who Came First, the Scoop series, boots, and where ever else the finest of Pete Townshend can be found.
19th January 2007 09:41 PM
pdog that's a cool link. Just like Pete's work kinda got filtered out, Brian wilson did Smile with The wondermints, the way he emant to do it like 25 or 30 years ago... Or more, fuck!
Thx for the link again.
19th January 2007 10:41 PM
Fiji Joe How did Primitive Cool not make the list?

19th January 2007 10:48 PM
Trey Krimsin Homegrown and The Ties That Bind seem the most intriguing to me.
19th January 2007 11:07 PM
Scottfree Let's work, get down in the dirt...
20th January 2007 05:16 AM
corgi37 I think Chinese Democracy should be on the list.
20th January 2007 09:45 AM
Honky Tonk Man What about the Beatles Get Back album? Originally scheduled for release in July '69, then Sept '69, then December before being shelved altogether. The original track listing below.

Side A:

"One After 909"
"Rocker (Instrumental)"
"Save the Last Dance for Me"
"Don't Let Me Down"
"Dig a Pony"
"I've Got a Feeling"
"Get Back"

Side B:

"For You Blue"
"Teddy Boy"
"Two of Us"
"Maggie Mae"
"Dig It"
"Let It Be"
"The Long and Winding Road"
"Get Back (Reprise)"
20th January 2007 11:38 AM
mojoman hendrix/miles davis
20th January 2007 02:29 PM
BONOISLOVE "Lifehouse"?? ("Pete Who"???) As much as I treasure and love the work from all the musicians in this planet, I can only think of a greatest album that hasn't been made..... YET!

Wouldn't it be awesome if there were a Totally Ultimate Gospel Album, recorded by U2? Just think about all the goosebumps and merriment it would cause! "What A Friend We Have In Jesus" could be played loudly in every corridor of America, with the little people doing their chores under the magical influence of music!! This needs to be solved, SOON!!!

I'm so embedded with love and enthusiastic ideas, I'm amazed that nobody has tried to take a serious bite at me!
20th January 2007 02:41 PM
guitarman53 All the albums that could have been made by original (Mike Bruce/Dennis Dunaway/Neal Smith/ Glen Buxton/Vincent Furnier) Alice Cooper Band after the break-up.
20th January 2007 03:00 PM
Gazza I have the Springsteen one that's listed ("The Ties That Bind" ) and while its excellent, the finished "River" album is twice as long,better overall - and still leaves off some fine songs that werent on the original record. (he recorded about 80-100 songs for it - some appeared on the 'Tracks' boxed set in 1998, though)

However, the album that 'Born In The USA' (one of his weakest records) SHOULD have been is the real wasted opportunity. Songs like 'Murder Inc.', 'This Hard Land', 'Frankie', 'Sugarland', 'Shut Out The Light' and numerous others were FAR superior to what was released on the finished album - although as BITUSA sold about 15 million and turned him into a global superstar, I doubt he'll loose much sleep over it.

'Darkness on the Edge of Town' wouldnt have lost any of its power had he extended it to a double album by including some of the best of the 30 or so outtakes either.

[Edited by Gazza]
20th January 2007 03:09 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

...'Darkness on the Edge of Town' wouldnt have lost any of its power had he extended it to a double album by including some of the best of the 30 or so outtakes either.

[Edited by Gazza]

Yes...Double Darkness...a definite shoulda-been.

20th January 2007 03:13 PM
nanatod
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I have the Springsteen one that's listed ("The Ties That Bind" ) and while its excellent, the finished "River" album is twice as long,better overall - and still leaves off some fine songs that werent on the original record. (he recorded about 80-100 songs for it - some appeared on the 'Tracks' boxed set in 1998, though)

However, the album that 'Born In The USA' (one of his weakest records) SHOULD have been is the real wasted opportunity. Songs like 'Murder Inc.', 'This Hard Land', 'Frankie', 'Sugarland', 'Shut Out The Light' and numerous others were FAR superior to what was released on the finished album - although as BITUSA sold about 15 million and turned him into a global superstar, I doubt he'll loose much sleep over it.

'Darkness on the Edge of Town' wouldnt have lost any of its power had he extended it to a double album by including some of the best of the 30 or so outtakes either.

Here's another option. Springsteen should just have released [the bootleg LP] "Fire on the Fingertips."
20th January 2007 03:14 PM
GotToRollMe Not to mention...

"Rarities" by the Rolling Stones...with actual RARITIES on it. That would've been a good one.

20th January 2007 03:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
nanatod wrote:

Here's another option. Springsteen should just have released [the bootleg LP] "Fire on the Fingertips."

It was only an EP, thats the only thing (5 songs), but none of them would have been out of place on 'Wild The Innocent' for sure

That was the first Bruce bootleg material I ever acquired too. Great stuff.
20th January 2007 03:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
How did Primitive Cool not make the list?

No..you misread the criteria, its meant to be greatest lost albums, not albums that SHOULD have been lost!
20th January 2007 04:40 PM
nanatod
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It was only an EP, thats the only thing (5 songs), but none of them would have been out of place on 'Wild The Innocent' for sure
That was the first Bruce bootleg material I ever acquired too. Great stuff.

It was the only Springsteen bootleg I ever owned. In my own humble opinion (and no one else's) Fingertips and Greetings are the only Springsteen records that don't sound dated [productionwise], that is, of a certain time and place, probably because they don't get any airplay.

Edit: I mean airplay on classic rock radio. Classic rock radio has ruined a lot of "classic" rock songs for me.
[Edited by nanatod]
20th January 2007 04:56 PM
Lethargy Black Crowes: Tall
20th January 2007 09:18 PM
kmc The Brian Jones solo album....

a little instrumental blues
some Elizabethan folk music
a rocker or two
contributions from heavy friends like Hendrix and Lennon
and topped off by the Stones themselves backing Brian on one track!

what he could have done to top that would be another story!
21st January 2007 04:03 PM
Kilroy Cool Site Thanks
21st January 2007 09:45 PM
ebmp
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

I agree.

Also it's a real shame that The Promise isn't on it, and a weak song like Candy's Room is.

The Promise may be one of his best tracks ever, especially the full band version
21st January 2007 10:28 PM
Bloozehound Not a great one, but a pretty cool album is Clapton's Turn Up Down

D/L'd it off Dime a while back, a couple songs would've definitely needed to been redone, but I like it better than the edited, released version which became Another Ticket, it's Clapton still in jj cale mode and it grooves

[Edited by Bloozehound]
22nd January 2007 04:55 AM
corgi37 I think its pretty obvious the live album of the 72 tour should be on the list.
22nd January 2007 05:06 AM
Gazza
quote:
ebmp wrote:

I agree.

Also it's a real shame that The Promise isn't on it, and a weak song like Candy's Room is.

The Promise may be one of his best tracks ever, especially the full band version

I like 'Candy's Room' but I agree with you about 'The Promise' being one of his greatest songs. Pretty ridiculous that he still managed to omit it from 'Tracks' and then - following the outcry from fans -put a NEW and inferior recording of it on the '18 Tracks' single-CD version instead. There are two absolutely fantastic versions of it on bootleg from the 'Darkness' sessions.
22nd January 2007 11:36 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Black Crowes: Tall

what about The Black Crowes "Band" album?

beautiful record - such a crime that that one got shelved
22nd January 2007 11:42 AM
TampabayStone DMB--Lilly White Sessions. Just a kiddin'
22nd January 2007 03:26 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Number 4 did get made, but in scattered form. Pete proved once again that he is the greatest in various and remixed version of Who's Next, Odds/Sods, Who Came First, the Scoop series, boots, and where ever else the finest of Pete Townshend can be found.

I would like to caress your kneecaps
22nd January 2007 10:46 PM
Paranoid_Android Simply...#'s Seven...and...Nine
22nd January 2007 10:48 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Not to mention...

"Rarities" by the Rolling Stones...with actual RARITIES on it. That would've been a good one.

You speak w/ such honesty!!!

Miss You!!!

xxPxxAxx
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)