ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1975 Lynn Goldsmith
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Denny Doherty is dead at 66 Return to archive
19th January 2007 06:07 PM
Jethrostone I just got the sad news that Denny Doherty, formally of The Mamas and The Papas, died. The Associated Press just reported this 48 minutes ago. Denny passed away at his house in Canada. I'm shocked by this. I didn't know Denny had been sick. According to the article, it said he had a short illness. Well for those of you who listen to the group, crank it up!

Rest In Peace, Denny
19th January 2007 06:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels That saddens me. There's only one left now. RIP Denny.
19th January 2007 06:15 PM
Jethrostone
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
That saddens me. There's only one left now. RIP Denny.

Actually, Michelle is the only one but not quite. Her replacement, Jill, is still livng. But out of those four, Michelle is the only one living.
19th January 2007 06:16 PM
pdog The question is, not why is Denny Doherty dead, but what is keeping Pete Doherty alive?
19th January 2007 06:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Jethrostone wrote:
Jill, is still livng. But out of those four, Michelle is the only one living.

Yeah. They did replace her. But Michelle was really HOT....for awhile. Still is. But it's like everything else, here today-gone tomorrow. We're really lucky the Stones have lasted this long....so go ahead and bitch about ABB.

All the leaves are brown
All the leaves are brown
And the sky is grey
And the sky is grey
Ive been for a walk
Ive been for a walk
On a winters day
On a winters day
Id be safe and warm
Id be safe and warm
If I was in l.a.
If I was in l.a.
California dreamin
California dreamin
On such a winters day

Stopped into a church
I passed along the way
Well, I got down on my knees
Got down on my knees
And I pretend to pray
I pretend to pray
You know the preacher likes the cold
Preacher likes the cold
He knows Im gonna stay
Knows Im gonna stay
California dreamin
California dreamin
On such a winters day

All the leaves are brown
All the leaves are brown
And the sky is grey
And the sky is grey
Ive been for a walk
Ive been for a walk
On a winters day
On a winters day
If I didnt tell her
If I didnt tell her
I could leave today
I could leave today
California dreamin
California dreamin
On such a winters day
California dreaming
On such a winters day
California dreaming
On such a winters day

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
19th January 2007 06:44 PM
pdog It's cold in California....
19th January 2007 07:07 PM
Jethrostone

test
19th January 2007 07:10 PM
Jethrostone
quote:
Jethrostone wrote:

test

Hey it worked! My first time doing that!

[Edited by Jethrostone]
19th January 2007 07:11 PM
Jethrostone
[Edited by Jethrostone]
19th January 2007 08:39 PM
M.O.W.A.T. From Wikipedia:

Dennis Gerrard Stephen Doherty (November 29, 1940 – January 19, 2007) was a Canadian singer and songwriter born in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He was most widely known as a member of the famous 1960s musical group The Mamas & the Papas.
Contents
[show]

* 1 Early career
* 2 Infidelity
* 3 Afterward
* 4 External links

[edit] Early career

In 1960, he cofounded a folk group called "The Colonials" in Montreal, Quebec. When they got a record deal with Columbia Records, they changed their name to "The Halifax Three." They had a minor hit, The Man Who Wouldn't Sing Along With Mitch ; but ultimately broke up in 1963. Ironically, they broke up at a hotel called "The Colonial."

In 1963 he established a friendship with Cass Elliot when she was with a band called "The Big Three." While on tour with "The Halifax Three," he met John Phillips and his new model wife, Michelle Gilliam.

A few months later, Doherty's band broke up and he and his accompanist, Zal Yanovsky, were broke in New York City. Cass Elliot heard of their troubles and convinced her manager to hire them. So he and Zal joined the Big Three (growing the number of band members to four). Soon after adding even more band members, they changed their name to "The Mugwumps." They soon broke up also due to insolvency.

About this time, John Phillips's new band, "The New Journeymen," needed a replacement for tenor Marshall Brickman. Brickman had left the folk trio to pursue a career in television writing, and the group needed a quick replacement for their remaining tour dates. Doherty, currently unemployed, filled that opening. After the New Journeymen called it quits as a band in early 1965, Denny's friend Cass Elliot was invited into the formation of a new band, which became "The Magic Circle". Six months later in September 1965, the group signed a recording contract with Dunhill Records. Changing their name to "The Mamas and the Papas," the band soon began to record their debut album, If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears.

[edit] Infidelity

In late 1965, Denny Doherty and Michelle Phillips started an affair. They were able to keep it secret for a long time, while the band enjoyed their new-found success.

Eventually their dalliances were discovered. John and Michelle moved out to their own place (they had been sharing a house with Dennis), but the band kept recording together. Eventually the band signed a statement in June 1966 with their record label's full support, kicking Michelle out of the band. She was quickly replaced by Jill Gibson, girlfriend of the band's producer Lou Adler. Jill's stint as a "Mama" lasted two and a half months and during this period, Dennis drank heavily trying to get over Michelle.

Due to some fan demand and mostly to John, Michelle was allowed to rejoin the band in late August of 1966, while Jill Gibson was given a lump sum for her efforts. However, by the time of Michelle's return, the band had lost focus, momentum and direction. While trying to create another album, Cass left the group and what followed was the fall of The Mamas and the Papas. The band finally called it quits in the summer of 1968.

[edit] Afterward

Elliot and Doherty remained friends, however. Doherty continued trying to drink the memory of Michelle out of his life. Hot on the heels of the band's breakup, Elliot had a hit solo show. She eventually asked Doherty to marry her, but he declined.

He was stunned and saddened to hear of Elliot's passing in 1974. He and the other former members of the band attended her funeral.

Doherty produced a show called Dream a Little Dream which was a narrative of his perspective of the story of The Mamas & the Papas. It was well received and garnered favorable reviews.

In 1993 Doherty took on the role of the Harbour Master in Theodore Tugboat, a children's television show chronicling the "lives" of vessels in a busy harbour loosely based upon Halifax Harbour.

Papa John Phillips died on March 18, 2001, in Los Angeles of heart failure.

Doherty died on January 19, 2007 at his home in Mississauga, Ontario from an aneurysm in his abdomen.
19th January 2007 11:46 PM
Jethrostone I have two LPs of the group. Their first one and a hits. It made me want to cry because in interviews, Denny was pretty funny. He would talk about situations like the group using drugs and make it funny. He said that when the group went on a trip, all the women had pot stuff in their bras. LOL!
19th January 2007 11:49 PM
Olivia1962 James Brown now him..great

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
20th January 2007 01:20 AM
Kilroy They were good, were'nt they.
20th January 2007 01:26 AM
pdog Pot in the bra's, I heard someone mention that in NYC last year....
20th January 2007 05:10 AM
corgi37 Very sad. I love this band. California Dreaming is one of the great songs of all time.
20th January 2007 11:13 AM
JaggerLips Only Michelle left now, the Mamas and the Papas seem to be cursed,seem to reach the end of their lives prematurely.

Very distinctive vocals especially from the late 'Mama Cass'

No group like them, very original.

R.I.P Denny!
20th January 2007 12:49 PM
Jethrostone
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:
Only Michelle left now, the Mamas and the Papas seem to be cursed,seem to reach the end of their lives prematurely.

Very distinctive vocals especially from the late 'Mama Cass'

No group like them, very original.

R.I.P Denny!

Actually, there is another curse I think here. Since 2005, a person that was on the Forrest Gump soundtrack dies in January.

2005: Spencer Dryden of Jefferson Airplane
2006: Wilson Pickett
2007: Denny Doherty. He died one year after Pickett died.

I don't think it's a curse but it's something I figured out.
20th January 2007 05:34 PM
Joey
quote:
Jethrostone wrote:
I just got the sad news that Denny Doherty, formally of The Mamas and The Papas, died. The Associated Press just reported this 48 minutes ago. Denny passed away at his house in Canada. I'm shocked by this. I didn't know Denny had been sick. According to the article, it said he had a short illness. Well for those of you who listen to the group, crank it up!

Rest In Peace, Denny

R.I.P. Old Friend
20th January 2007 10:58 PM
Jethrostone On Rolling Stone.com

Finally a word from Michelle. This is from The Rolling Stone article about Denny's passing:

“He was probably the least known member of the Mamas and Papas, who sang most of the hits,” Michelle Phillips says. “All I can say is I had the great fortune to have been able to sing with him and call him my friend.”
21st January 2007 05:27 PM
Brian Jones Girl Bah-da bah-da-da-da
Bah-da bah-da-da-da
Bah-da bah-da-da-da

Monday, Monday, so good to me
Monday mornin', it was all I hoped it would be
Oh Monday mornin', Monday mornin' couldn't guarantee
That Monday evenin' you would still be here with me

Monday, Monday, can't trust that day
Monday, Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way
Oh Monday mornin' you gave me no warnin' of what was to be
Oh Monday, Monday, how could you leave and not take me

Every other day, every other day
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah
But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes
A-you can find me cryin' all of the time

Monday, Monday, so good to me
Monday mornin', it was all I hoped it would be
But Monday mornin', Monday mornin' couldn't guarantee
That Monday evenin' you would still be here with me

Every other day, every other day
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah
But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes
A-you can find me cryin' all of the time

Monday, Monday, can't trust that day
Monday, Monday, it just turns out that way
Oh Monday, Monday, won't go away
Monday, Monday, it's here to stay
Oh Monday, Monday
Oh Monday, Monday
22nd January 2007 04:58 AM
corgi37 Another great track. They are the ultimate hippie band and perfect for summer listening. I played some songs the other night (it was boiling here in Melbourne) with some ice cold vodka, and boy, did i have a great time.
22nd January 2007 05:33 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jethrostone wrote:

Actually, there is another curse I think here. Since 2005, a person that was on the Forrest Gump soundtrack dies in January.

2005: Spencer Dryden of Jefferson Airplane
2006: Wilson Pickett
2007: Denny Doherty. He died one year after Pickett died.

I don't think it's a curse but it's something I figured out.

Eeek..Bob Dylan's on that soundtrack!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Gump_%28soundtrack%29

22nd January 2007 02:34 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Eeek..Bob Dylan's on that soundtrack!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Gump_%28soundtrack%29

Do NOT even begin to go there.....I'll blow a gasket!

NOTHING bad better happen to Bob.

NOTHING.

Indeed.

peace,
MM
22nd January 2007 02:43 PM
Joey " Another great track. They are the ultimate hippie band and perfect for summer listening. I played some songs the other night (it was boiling here in Melbourne) with some ice cold vodka, and boy, did i have a great time. "

The Temperature here hit Eleven Below Zero early last week Corgi . Still , I too played some of their songs the other night whilst drinking some Heinekens and had a wonderful time in the freezing cold tundra known as the MidWestern United States .
23rd January 2007 11:42 AM
Fiji Joe Oh man...Denny Doherty looks like that other Missouri kid who got kidnapped...strange days indeed

23rd January 2007 11:47 AM
glencar John Phillips is dead? When?
23rd January 2007 03:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
John Phillips is dead? When?

March 2001, ironically about a month before the long-awaited and delayed release of 'Pay Pack & Follow', the album he had recorded with most of the Stones in the mid/late 70's.
23rd January 2007 05:57 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

March 2001, ironically about a month before the long-awaited and delayed release of 'Pay Pack & Follow', the album he had recorded with most of the Stones in the mid/late 70's.

Not a bad record either...sounds so much better than the boot material I had
23rd January 2007 06:38 PM
glencar I shoulda bought that one!
23rd January 2007 07:17 PM
lotsajizz you still can

http://www.amazon.com/Pay-Pack-Follow-John-Phillips/dp/B00005B7EI/sr=8-1/qid=1169597798/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2921204-6736045?ie=UTF8&s=music
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)