ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1975 Lynn Goldsmith
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Today's Header - B2B Tour Press Conference Return to archive
19th January 2007 08:44 AM
GotToRollMe Thank you, Voodoo. That whole "over the bridge" thing remains one of my favorite Stones memories. Damn, was it really almost 10 years ago? Time is moving way too fast.
19th January 2007 08:50 AM
LadyJane Aceves does beautiful work.

Great pic.
Congrats Voodoo.

RO gets the premiere!!

LJ.
19th January 2007 09:14 AM
Gazza Oddly enough I was just watching that press conference the other night when I was copying it to DVD for someone. That sight of them driving over the bridge remains one of the great iconic images.
19th January 2007 09:43 AM
Irina Wonderful photo!
19th January 2007 10:35 AM
Saint Sway I

wuz

there

!
19th January 2007 10:38 AM
Gazza B
a
s
t
a
r
d
!
19th January 2007 10:42 AM
Saint Sway just fortunate that they hold all the PC's in NY. 1st one I went to was Steel Wheels in Grand Central. I was the 1st one there and still got crushed up against the barrier. Nasty hot. A total cluster fuck.

naturally, I've worked my ass off to get into everyone since
19th January 2007 11:14 AM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
just fortunate that they hold all the PC's in NY. 1st one I went to was Steel Wheels in Grand Central. I was the 1st one there and still got crushed up against the barrier. Nasty hot. A total cluster fuck.

It's a problem I'd love to have every 3 or 4 years, to be honest!
19th January 2007 11:47 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
just fortunate that they hold all the PC's in NY. 1st one I went to was Steel Wheels in Grand Central. I was the 1st one there and still got crushed up against the barrier. Nasty hot. A total cluster fuck.

naturally, I've worked my ass off to get into everyone since

I covered the B2B PC. I was about twenty feet from where this header picture was taken. I didn't get to ask a question as I was not in the thick of the press scrum. I was patched into the feed and got some great audio from it though. It was so cool to watch the band drive over the Brooklyn Bridge. The whole press core was stunned that the NYC Police would shut the bridge down for the better part of half an hour just so some rich old Brits could make the scene. Very Stonesy to be sure. This PC was about as close to the 1975 5th Ave flatbed trick they have done since that iconic Stones' moment. After the presser my wife(now former),and I went to the Hooligan's inside Penn Station with some journo cat from Holland. Very nice chap,bought us several drinks. We ended up buying each other drinks for a few rounds then went our seperate ways. I got a package in the mail about a month later and the guy had sent me a copy of the newspaper article that he had written for his newspaper. I couldn't read it for shit,but it weas cool to see a picture of him at the presser with the Stones behind him on the stage.

I also remember at that particular presser there was a huge Bridges To Babylon banner that was hung from the bridge. It was an elongated version of the album cover. Anyway,this thing caught a few massive gusts of wind and threatened to topple onto the whole press core. You'd think that the Stones would have learned this lesson already from the 1981 tour,but no,the banner eventully had to be lowered. I was waiting for the crew to start slicing it with a knife ala 1981,but they just lowered it.

Riffy
19th January 2007 12:16 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl B
A
S
T
A
R
D
19th January 2007 12:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

The whole press core was stunned that the NYC Police would shut the bridge down for the better part of half an hour just so some rich old Brits could make the scene.

They werent the only ones. I remember reading in the press here ('The Sun" I think) a few days earlier that they were closing the bridge down so the Stones could have their press conference to announce their new tour.

I was incredulous that such a thing could happen. It's things like that which give you a perspective as to how huge the Stones are.

It also belies the notion that they ceased to be culturally significant in the early 1970's. You dont have to be under 30, have number one singles, have your mug on every music magazine cover or be on TV every day to have an impact. Some things transcend the music.

When the government in the biggest city in the US allows you to take over the main (and most iconic) bridge leading into it and lets you inconvenience thousands of people as part of a publicity stunt then THAT is power on a grand scale.

Nobody else can pull that shit.
19th January 2007 12:29 PM
Saint Sway W
O
R
D
!
19th January 2007 12:31 PM
Saint Sway one other thing... in the pic is Keith the fucking poster boy for the image of the decadent "ROCK STAR" or what???

Thats the image right there! The look - the pose - the shades - dangling cig. The man invented it. The man owns it. He's IT! The coolest!

thanks Voodoo
19th January 2007 12:33 PM
PartyDoll MEG Y
O
U

G
O
T

T
H
A
T

R
I
G
H
T

G
A
Z
Z
A
19th January 2007 12:40 PM
Riffhard True that Gazza! Remember a couple of years ago when U2 aped the Stones by doing a little flatbed NYC jaunt as well? That stunt did not get anywhere near the coverage as the Stones' 1975 stunt had. Bono may be a self appointed god,but he does not have the power of Jagger. Never has. Never will.

Then as if closing the Brooklyn Bridge weren't enough five years later the Stones ascend into the clouds of Manhattan to bring forth another massive world tour in that beautiful huge yellow toungued blimp! I'd imagine that little trick involved all kinds of power plays as well. What with all the air space regulations and whatnot. You know the FAA had to approve the whole flight plan prior to the event. Especially in light of the fact that this was post 9/11.

When all is said and done I'll be damned happy to have witnessed so many iconic Stonsian moments that have,indeed,transended the music. Only the Stones could pull off all those things,and yet still make themselves look cool at the same time. The audacity of these guys has never ceased to amaze. We,of course,ended up paying for that fucking blimp,and all the other hype via insane ticket prices,but,in a way,I think my fantastic memories will have made it all worthwhile to go broke every now and again for the boys!

It's time for the Stones to announce another world tour while orbiting the earth in the International Space Station! I remember reading a quote from Bill Graham while he was visiting Niagra Falls with some of the Stones' people. He said to all there,"Don't let Jagger see this. He'll want it on the goddamned stage!" LOL! How true! Jagger knows a thing or two about spectacle,huh?!

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]
19th January 2007 12:44 PM
Saint Sway I just want to point out that not only did fU2 copy the flat bed truck idea but they drove down to Brooklyn and performed under the Brooklyn Bridge later that same night. And the album cover was a clone of Stripped.

that was the U2 trifecta of ripping us off
19th January 2007 01:37 PM
Jeep Here's a video from the NY 1997 press conference.
It's from french TV news archives (enjoy the images even if you dont't speak french !).

21st January 2007 01:41 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

They werent the only ones. I remember reading in the press here ('The Sun" I think) a few days earlier that they were closing the bridge down so the Stones could have their press conference to announce their new tour.

I was incredulous that such a thing could happen. It's things like that which give you a perspective as to how huge the Stones are.

It also belies the notion that they ceased to be culturally significant in the early 1970's. You dont have to be under 30, have number one singles, have your mug on every music magazine cover or be on TV every day to have an impact. Some things transcend the music.

When the government in the biggest city in the US allows you to take over the main (and most iconic) bridge leading into it and lets you inconvenience thousands of people as part of a publicity stunt then THAT is power on a grand scale.

Nobody else can pull that shit.

Oh HELL yeah!
21st January 2007 04:38 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Jeep wrote:
Here's a video from the NY 1997 press conference.
It's from french TV news archives (enjoy the images even if you dont't speak french !).

Merci beaucoup, Jeep!
21st January 2007 07:08 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

Brooklyn Bridge, NYC - August 18, 1997
Web premier of this picture
© Fernando Aceves
21st January 2007 07:37 PM
Lethargy Keith looks like a badass mofo in this doesn't he!
22nd January 2007 02:59 AM
marko And he still was one!Does anyone of you remember what he
said about phones in an interview 1997?
That he would shoot Graham Bell,if it would be still possible,or something like that.
22nd January 2007 08:19 AM
LadyJane Just set this as my desktop wallpaper.

Makes work a LITTLE more tolerable.

LJ.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)