ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Eddie Kramer
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stones kick Bruce's ass ($$$) Return to archive
01-17-04 06:30 PM
gotdablouse A rather oddly written article...http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&ncid=579&e=9&u=/nm/20040117/en_nm/music_stones_dc

At least Bruce the Moose toured behind a new album more than Mick, Keith and Charlie have been able to say since 1999 :-(
01-17-04 11:43 PM
Steel Wheels Who gives a flying Bill Wyman what Bruce Springsteen does, what Billboard thinks about integrity and showmanship, and what the Stones have released since God knows when.

All of the lame asses that slag the Stones can suck a big one. Bruce too.

The Stones kick everyone's ass - in the studio and on the road. There's no way in hell the tired and creatively void E Street Band can even stand on the same stage with my Stones. They cower in their presence.

U2 would get on their knees. Paul would be pushing a God damned broom. The White Elephants etc would beg to sit at Keith's feet. Kiss would leave the venue out of professional embarrasment. Rod Stewart wouldn't show up since he knows it's all over for him. Aerosmith would be handing out hot dogs and figuring out how they ever got to be called the American version of the Stones by writing such shoddy material. Madonna would shut her big yenta trap and service Mr. Watts between songs.

Music goes beyond looks and appearances. Music is to be heard, it is to move your soul. That's what the Stones have done and will continue to do.

The more people slag the Stones, the more the band shoves it right up their asses.

So Rolling Stones, keep it up. Don't Stop. Right fucking on!
01-17-04 11:52 PM
TracyGene So,Steel Wheels,tell us what you really think!Do you kinda like the Stones?lol.
01-18-04 12:08 AM
Steel Wheels Hahaha!

It's no secret how much I love them, especially around this board.
01-18-04 12:37 AM
TracyGene I did enjoy your post by the way.Good one!
01-18-04 03:34 AM
Prodigal Son I can understand the glowing words about the Stones live, but I will tell you Bruce is no slouch live, either. I'm not a mega fan of his and I still loved him live. Which makes me all the more anticipating of seeing a Stones concert in the future. Time's running out!
01-19-04 02:10 PM
gotdablouse I think his music is pretty boring overall but at least he tried to say something in songs, not something Mick has really done since...huh...Blinded by Rainbows I guess.

The fact is he bothered to release an album unlike Mick & Keith & Charlie.

01-19-04 02:19 PM
egon i'd like to see who sold more tickets...
01-19-04 02:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
egon wrote:
i'd like to see who sold more tickets...

Yeah, but tickets are the lowest form of art, they all look alike.
01-19-04 02:42 PM
Jaxx
quote:
egon wrote:
i'd like to see who sold more tickets...

glad you asked. i read an article in the rocky mountain news that states quite the contrary. in the secondary ticket sale market, bruce kicked ass. read on:

Top concert tickets sell well, then sell again
By Susanne Ault, Billboard
January 19, 2004

LOS ANGELES - At first glance, the Rolling Stones had the No. 1-grossing tour for 2003. Yet in the resale ticketing market, Bruce Springsteen rules the roost.

Stubhub.com - an online marketplace where consumers can resell unwanted tickets for sometimes well more than face value - has ranked the top 10 concerts of 2003 based on secondary ticket sales. The San Francisco company included results from its own sales as well as ticket transactions of its resale competitors, such as eBay and third-party ticket brokers.

The rest of the top 10 - in descending order - are Simon & Garfunkel, Celine Dion, the Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews Band, Christina Aguilera/Justin Timberlake, Cher, Bon Jovi, Jimmy Buffett and Dixie Chicks.

This list largely mirrors the year's premier tours in the primary market: Following the Stones were Springsteen, Cher and Fleetwood Mac.

To qualify as the cream of the after-market crop, tours required some combination of high-volume and/or top-dollar tickets exchanging hands through the included resale outlets, stubhub.com president Eric Baker says. He says there is no doubt that "when you see artists that are strong on the secondary market, you're seeing very impressive multiples over face value." While stubhub.com declined to attach dollar figures with its rankings, it does have examples of high-priced ticket postings. Consumers, while complying with local scalping laws, can sell tickets at a fixed price of their choosing or on an auction basis through the site.

Dave Matthews is touring in support of his solo debut, Some Devil. Tickets originally valued at $52 apiece for his Dec. 20 show at Staples Center in Los Angeles were listed at a fixed $648.

Stubhub.com takes 25 percent of the final ticket price: 15 percent from the seller's share and 10 percent from the buyer's portion.

Tour organizers are well aware of the secondary market. Several say they are considering ways to grab a piece of it.

"One of the things that eBay and other online ticket resellers have done is make the secondary market transparent. It has always been there, but now you can watch it," says Jonathan Hochwald, president of tickets and consumer marketing at Clear Channel Entertainment. "This is the first time where companies like ourselves can see exactly what it is that's at stake. This is a huge market that should be going where it belongs - the artists." CCE was involved in a number of tours that made stubhub.com's top 10.

Hochman says CCE is looking into posting a select number of VIP ticket packages on eBay to see Sarah Brightman with a starting price of $750.

Most major ticket providers can currently offer auction programs for promoter and venue clients. .

"I've heard all about the auction idea. I don't know how an act really participates in something like that without coming off the wrong way to audiences," says Simon Renshaw, manager for the Dixie Chicks.
01-19-04 03:06 PM
Gazza >The Stones kick everyone's ass - in the studio and on the road. There's no way in hell the tired and creatively void E Street Band can even stand on the same stage with my Stones. They cower in their presence.

Open your eyes. The Stones kick NO ONE's ass in the studio my friend, because theyve hardly fuckin been IN one in seven years. If any band is creatively void I'm afraid it's the Stones.

As for "on the road". Matter of opinion,I guess. Not being a fan of both of those acts you're not going to be very balanced in your opinion. As theyre my two favourite bands and two favourite live acts, I'll have to strongly disagree with you. How often do the Stones play a song thats not on that night's setlist or one they havent played in a decade or havent even rehearsed? Never. The E-Street band do that all the time and pretty successfully. They take chances on stage. The Stones - great as they undoubtedly are - don't. As good as the Stones were on the last tour, The E-Street Band also PLAYS better. And longer.

Tired? Creatively void? Cower in their presence? Don't make me laugh.
01-19-04 03:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Open your eyes. The Stones kick NO ONE's ass in the studio my friend, because theyve hardly fuckin been IN one in seven years. If any band is creatively void I'm afraid it's the Stones.

Next album. They must be awfully sure of themselves. Either one or two things now, they either deliver or retire. I say they deliver. If indeed they are "artists"...they will deliver.

01-19-04 03:19 PM
gimmekeef These kind of threads remind of years ago when I was a kid....."my dads better than your dad"Who cares who sold more tickets?.You'll never convince a die hard Bruce fan he isnt the best and vice versa.Heck not sure its worth the effort because whose to say my personal taste is superior to anyone else's?...
01-19-04 03:26 PM
Gazza precisely

As I've always said,theres only two types of music - good and bad. And the beauty of the whole thing is its entirely subjective. You cant prove what good music is.
01-19-04 03:28 PM
Gazza >Next album. They must be awfully sure of themselves. Either one or two things now, they either deliver or retire. I say they deliver. If indeed they are "artists"...they will deliver.

I think after all this time, they're gonna have to put out a good one. It's a long wait. I actually think they DO have great music still in them. Whether its accepted by the media as a creative re-birth is another thing - as if theyre worried.
01-20-04 05:46 AM
egon i only want to know which band sold the most tickets.
ie drew the biggest crowd.

i will read it, think; "oh, i didn't know that", and go on with my day.
01-20-04 06:45 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Gazza wrote:
How often do the Stones play a song thats not on that night's setlist or one they havent played in a decade or havent even rehearsed?

Hmmm... Let me see. Not on that night's setlist, less and less often. I've read somewhere that Keith sometimes switch one of his songs (Thru and Thru at the MSG HBO instead of Slipping Away for instance) but that's all.

But thankfully, they do dig old songs out of the vaults for every new tour since 1989. Like Paint It Black and 2000 Light Years From Home for the Steel Wheels tour, Monkey Man and Not Fade Away for Voodoo Lounge, etc.
The Licks tour saw the 1st time they played in public CYHMK, Dance pt.1, Thru and Thru, Rock Me Baby, Nearness of You, and the return of Mannish Boy (last played in 1986), Neighbors, Going To A Go-Go (last played in 1982), Hand Of Fate, Worried About You (1977), Stray Cat Blues, If You Can't Rock Me, Ain't Too Proud To Beg (1976), Torn And Frayed , Loving Cup (1972), Parachute Woman (1968), She Smiled Sweetly (1967), That's How Strong My Love Is (1966), Heart of Stone or Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (never played after 1965)...

quote:
I actually think they DO have great music still in them. Whether its accepted by the media as a creative re-birth is another thing - as if theyre worried.

I wonder. Maybe they are worried about how high the stakes are for a new release. The breathless expectancy from the fans alone must be unsettling. And the press reaction could be anything, from raving worship to utter contempt. And it's not something you can predict or manufacture in advance. There's a capital luck factor: what other artists will release a big new album, what world event will shatter the market or boost the public's appetite for buying, etc.
Of course, none of this would stop the Stones to tour behind a new release if they decided to. Old pros that they are, they know that there's nothing like a big tour to regain the attention of press and public.

BEST VIEWED HIGH