ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Eddie Kramer
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan Live 1964 Philharmonic Hall Return to archive
01-17-04 07:18 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Dylan 'Bootleg Series' Rolls on with 'Live 1964'
By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Bob Dylan enthusiasts will have plenty to celebrate on March 23, when Columbia/Legacy issues "Live 1964: Concert at Philharmonic Hall ... The Bootleg Series Volume 6."

The 19-track, double-disc set is drawn from Dylan's Oct. 31, 1964, solo acoustic performance at New York's Philharmonic Hall, two months after the release of the album "Another Side of Bob Dylan."

At the show, Dylan previewed three cuts ("Mr. Tambourine Man," "Gates of Eden" and "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)") that wouldn't see the light of day until the March 1965 release of "Bringing It All Back Home." According to the label, the show constitutes the earliest all-acoustic Dylan concert to be officially released.

Joan Baez guests on four songs: "Mama, You Been on My Mind," a new arrangement of the traditional "Silver Dagger," "With God on Our Side" and "It Ain't Me, Babe."

"Live 1964" is bolstered with a 52-page booklet featuring unpublished photographs and an essay by Princeton University historian Sean Wilentz, who attend the concert as a 13-year-old. The albums comes on the heels of the November 2002 release of the fifth volume in the "Bootleg Series," which chronicled Dylan's 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue tour.

Dylan is up for three awards at the 2004 Grammys: best traditional soul gospel album for "Gotta Serve Somebody: The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan"; best pop collaboration with vocals for "Gonna Change My Way of Thinking" from the same album; and best male rock vocal performance for "Down in the Flood" from the "Masked & Anonymous" soundtrack.

Here is the "Live 1964" track list:

Disc one:

"The Times They Are A-Changin"'

"Spanish Harlem Incident"
"Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues"
"To Ramona"
"Who Killed Davey Moore?"
"Gates of Eden"
"If You Gotta Go, Go Now (Or Else You Got To Stay All Night)"
"It's Alright Ma, (I'm Only Bleeding)"
"I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)"
"Mr. Tambourine Man"
"A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall"

Disc two:
"Talkin' World War III Blues"
"Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"
"The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll"
"Mama, You Been on My Mind"
"Silver Dagger"
"With God on Our Side"
"It Ain't Me, Babe"
"All I Really Want To Do"

Reuters/Billboard
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
01-17-04 11:39 AM
mac_daddy that is one of the most classic bootlegs...

I guess, like the complete Live at Leeds by the Who, this is another one that has to come down off of my trade list...

I hope it is a big seller! It is a great show.
01-17-04 11:42 AM
T&A I got a sampler track from Sony from this set when I bought my Sony SACD player...gotta tell you that I was not impressed with the sound - it didn't sound much different that the boot that has been circulating for decades (which isn't bad at all, mind you)...
01-17-04 12:53 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
T&A wrote:
I got a sampler track from Sony from this set when I bought my Sony SACD player...gotta tell you that I was not impressed with the sound - it didn't sound much different that the boot that has been circulating for decades (which isn't bad at all, mind you)...

Which one are you referring to? There are 6, in particular, that are in circulation comprised of material from this show.

"All Hallows' Eve & More" (MB CD 079/80) and "It's Alright" (no label listed), are probably the 2 most famous and most recommended ones. "All Hallows'.." would be my recommendation (even though Silver Dagger is excluded) as it also contains tracks from Broadside show, WBAI FM-radio, New York, NY May 1962.

Regardless, Vol. 6 is one I anxiously await!
01-17-04 01:01 PM
mac_daddy >>> Regardless, Vol. 6 is one I anxiously await!

me too!

All Hallows Eve is the one I have - great stuff.

Is this getting the SACD treatment..?
01-17-04 01:28 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
>>> Regardless, Vol. 6 is one I anxiously await!

me too!

All Hallows Eve is the one I have - great stuff.

Is this getting the SACD treatment..?

Don't think so. At least there's been no notice of it.
01-17-04 01:32 PM
mac_daddy >>>> Don't think so. At least there's been no notice of it.

bummer

that makes absolutely no sense to me why they would not give it the same treatment as the reissues.
01-17-04 01:42 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
>>>> Don't think so. At least there's been no notice of it.

bummer

that makes absolutely no sense to me why they would not give it the same treatment as the reissues.

Probably because it won't self like his popular classic albums would. I would think, still at this stage, the technology to create an SACD costs a little more than a standard disc...?

I still don't know why The Times, Basement Tapes and Time Out of Mind where not re-issued in the SACD series. Obviously, the main consideration is to re-issue the popular albums first. These three, however, make me wonder, then.

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
01-17-04 02:17 PM
mac_daddy agreed - but man, this halloween show IS one of the epics. I thought this was the most widely known performances of his career, and thus thought it would be a good one to test the SACDs out. Once people realize that these things make it sound like Zim is sitting in your living room (could you imagine how good those tapes probably sound, and how much better they would sound if transferred properly to DSD?), I would think they would sell like hotcakes. But maybe the big sellers are not the new ones, or the historic concerts, but simply the 5 or 6 albums that everybody has heard about, and continues to buy, and that is why they are the ones that get the treatment...

while I am sure it costs more to produce the hybrid SACDs than the regular CDs, I think most producers (sony, etc.) are already phasing out their CD productions, and moving to the new formats - they are going to have to invest in all those production facilities anyway, they know it, and soon enough the cost to produce the new formats will be negligible. The key to offsetting those original infrastructure investments is to have products that sell well enough to cover those bigger initial costs. I would think that this set (previously unreleased, legendary, complete concert performance by one of the industry's major stars) would be a prime candidate

but if they ain't doing the SACD, they ain't doin' it - what the hell do I know, anyway?
01-17-04 04:12 PM
Child of the Moon I'm glad they finally got around to releasing this one. I know in the liner notes to the Rolling Thunder discs it says "Look out for the 1964 Philharmonic show, coming in late 2003." What's a few months' difference, right?

Looks like a killer show. This'll be another one I have to acquire.
01-17-04 06:15 PM
T&A I'm under the impression that it IS getting the SACD treatment - as I said it was included in an SACD Dylan sampler with the SACD player I bought - the cut was All I Really Want to Do...and, as I said, it was just so-so sound.

I have All Hallow's Eve...have had the source analogue tape since the mid-70's (sound is about the same on both).
01-17-04 06:58 PM
FM Just wish The Stones would follow suit and get
a bootleg series going.

I have All Hallow's Eve but will also get
the new official release.

So far all the bootleg disks have been STUNNING !

My fave is The Rolling Thunder Revue - simply superb.

Fraser

"Get drunk and sing along to Queen
Practice my T-Rex moves and make the scene"

"Just love those laser guided bombs
They're really great for righting wrongs
You hit the target and win the game
From bars 3,000 miles away"

"He took it all too far, but boy could he play guitar"
01-17-04 09:04 PM
T&A yeah, the Rolling Thunder one is good - but I don't understand why the edited songs out (like the opener!) - I prefer some of the actual boots over it, actually.

I really hope they mine the US 78 tour for a release in this series. The Budokan show was early in the tour, before they really got their act together (and got a real drummer). I know Dylan recorded all the US shows from that tour and from some of the better audience tapes, those shows absolutely smoked!
01-17-04 09:31 PM
FM [quote]T&A wrote:
yeah, the Rolling Thunder one is good - but I don't understand why the edited songs out (like the opener!)

Was that When I Paint My Masterpiece ?

Think the general consensus is that that
song was performed horribly on that tour.

Still, would have been nice if it had
been included.

I have a coupla boots from that tour - excellent stuff.

Still nice to have an official release.

Fraser

"Get drunk and sing along to Queen
Practice my T-Rex moves and make the scene"

"Just love those laser guided bombs
They're really great for righting wrongs
You hit the target and win the game
From bars 3,000 miles away"

"He took it all too far, but boy could he play guitar"
01-18-04 12:12 PM
T&A I have never heard that as a general consensus Masterpiece was anything other than a masterpiece on RT...but, still no reason to exclude it or several other tunes that were staples in the setlist, IMO
01-19-04 03:37 PM
Gazza >I really hope they mine the US 78 tour for a release in this series. The Budokan show was early in the tour, before they really got their act together (and got a real drummer). I know Dylan recorded all the US shows from that tour and from some of the better audience tapes, those shows absolutely smoked!

I think the European shows are by far the best on that tour and as good as any shows Dylan ever played. Especially the runs from Earls Court and Paris. (Go look out a copy of Paris 8th July if you havent got it already. Its the dogs bollocks).

The US shows are a notch or two lower. Some fine shows, but his voice certainly wasnt as good (no sniggering please from non-Dylan fans) I doubt they'd put out two double discs from the '78 tour however.

The Gospel era hasnt been covered. I'd personally like to see an official release taken from the Warfield Theatre shows in San Francisco in November 1980.
01-19-04 03:45 PM
mac_daddy >>>The Gospel era hasnt been covered. I'd personally like to see an official release taken from the Warfield Theatre shows in San Francisco in November 1980.

just rec'd complete recordings of most of that run (AUD)

[Edited by mac_daddy]
01-20-04 03:04 PM
mac_daddy these shows from June 1984 are pretty friggin good, too!
01-20-04 10:14 PM
mac_daddy >>>> I think the European shows are by far the best on that tour and as good as any shows Dylan ever played. Especially the runs from Earls Court and Paris. (Go look out a copy of Paris 8th July if you havent got it already. Its the dogs bollocks).

dont have 7/8, but I am listening to 7/6 for the first time ("border beneath the sun") and it is blowing me away!!!!
01-21-04 07:56 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
dont have 7/8, but I am listening to 7/6 for the first time ("border beneath the sun") and it is blowing me away!!!!

http://bobsboots.com/CDs/cd-b64.html
01-21-04 10:30 AM
mac_daddy that's the one, LB, and it absolutely smokes...

sounds like the E Street band in alot of spots (which isnt a bad thing)...

01-21-04 05:08 PM
mac_daddy oh, and while we're (I'm) on the topic of stellar Bob boots, let me also mention 2/15/98 ("A Knife, A Fork, A Bottle, A Cork"). It is excellent, as well.

BEST VIEWED HIGH