ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Eddie Kramer
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Edith Grove Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
01-16-04 07:53 AM
Zeeta I'm gonna check it out this weekend!

Is it worth seeing?

Is it a museum / place of heritage yet? It should be.

Will Nanker still be there?

Kind regards
01-16-04 08:42 AM
glencar No, it just sits there like a real neighborhood.
01-16-04 11:09 AM
Zeeta Sounds a bit shitty to be honest!

Maybe I'll leave it...hold on are there any good bars around there?!!
01-16-04 11:12 AM
egon i'm in london myself next month.
where is it? i can't find it on the (internet) map

01-16-04 11:19 AM
glencar Not sure exactly. I was on a tour. I'd never have found it myself.
01-16-04 11:20 AM
egon couldn't find it last time either.

someone here must know...?
01-16-04 11:27 AM
glencar This is about as well as I could do:http://www.foxtons.co.uk/LL/chpk0047963

It's a realty ad but it does give general info about where Edith Grove is.
01-16-04 11:28 AM
egon thanks buddy
01-16-04 11:29 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
egon wrote:
couldn't find it last time either.

someone here must know...?

It is simple. I went there this summer. Take the Tube to West-Brompton (District Line). Go right when you exit the station. Take the second (check on map) right and keep walking and you'll get to Edith Grove.
01-16-04 11:32 AM
egon you are my new buddy
01-16-04 11:33 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Is Edith Grove the name of an apartment complex? If so try to find the street adress. Thay may be the problem??????
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
01-16-04 11:34 AM
glencar Edith Grove is the street. I don't believe that there's even a black acknowledging that the 3 stones & Nanky lived there.
01-16-04 11:35 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
glencar wrote:
Edith Grove is the street. I don't believe that there's even a black acknowledging that the 3 stones & Nanky lived there.

Indeed. It is just a house, no sign of Stones.
01-16-04 11:36 AM
egon i never foud it, but i searched london - edith grove,

and it might be in "greater london"...?
01-16-04 11:38 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
egon wrote:
i never foud it, but i searched london - edith grove,

and it might be in "greater london"...?

It is not in the city centre. Go to Angiegirl's site (www.shotofsalvation.com), go to the pics section and you'll see me in front of Edith Grove.
01-16-04 11:39 AM
glencar It's in Chelsea. You can get an idea by clicking on the "map search" option on the link I gave you. 3 & 48 Cheyne walk are nearby & that's where they lived in the late 60's. I recall that you could see the Battersea power station from Cheyne Walk. It's right on the Thames. Cheyne is pronounced "Chainy" BTW.
01-16-04 11:41 AM
egon i hope i can make it this time, cos it will be a quick in an out weekend and i also have to drink large quantities of beer and party my ass off.

01-16-04 11:45 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
I don't believe that there's even a black acknowledging that the 3 stones & Nanky lived there.

Maybe Mick's knighthood will change that. Aren't the Royals in charge of naming things after themselves?
01-16-04 11:47 AM
glencar I wrote "black"? D'oh! I meant "plaque" & no, it's not the knighthood thing. The people have to be dead 25 years before they put up a plaque.
01-16-04 06:19 PM
scratched
quote:
glencar wrote:
I wrote "black"? D'oh! I meant "plaque" & no, it's not the knighthood thing. The people have to be dead 25 years before they put up a plaque.

Brian's been dead for nearly 35 years. Maybe they should put a plaque up there for him.
01-16-04 09:35 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Strange_Stray_Cat wrote:
Go to Angiegirl's site (www.shotofsalvation.com), go to the pics section and you'll see me in front of Edith Grove.

Give the right link:
http://home.tiscali.nl/shotofsalvat...smonumenten.htm

It's on the Dirtywork site blondie gegege .
01-16-04 09:52 PM
SHINE A LIGHT keep an eye out for phelge.....he's still walkin' around with his underpants on his head there.
01-17-04 07:31 AM
beer one of the Rocks Off ladies was there not too long ago. I think maybe MarthaMyDear, maybe? i cant remember. the one that uses alot, alot, alot of smileys
01-17-04 07:48 AM
glencar A bunch of us were there & by now enough info has been given out.
01-17-04 01:58 PM
Zeeta Thanks lads and lasses and don't forget we rock n roll!

I didn't go to see it today since I can go any day as I live in London! Also not even a plaque bullshit I say!

Glencar - you need to get an avatar man, would look better seeing as you post so much.

Cheers all,

Matt
01-18-04 09:21 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
beer wrote:
one of the Rocks Off ladies was there not too long ago. I think maybe MarthaMyDear, maybe? i cant remember. the one that uses alot, alot, alot of smileys

Yeah she's the one....loads of smileys!
MMD phone home!!!!!!!
01-18-04 10:24 AM
Phog When I was there in '99 the only thing tipping you off that it might be a place of importance were the little paper flyers tacked-up reminding you not to leave your trash behind. There was also a cranky neighbor wondering what all these dumbass Americans were doing staring at her apartment building.
01-19-04 12:05 AM
MarthaMyDear I'M HERE!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
(can't use many more smileys 'cause I remember that Gerardo
said they mess-up the archives... lol......... )... Yes, you
caught me (I was lurking)!!! HE!!! HE!!! Thank you for the
nice vibes, you guys!!! Nice vibes are so much better than
non-nice ones, don't you agree?!?!?! lol..... Ok....
lol........ Here's my pic. and have fun there, Zeeta!!!
You should just go and take pix for the heck of it... Have
fun!!! CHEERS!!!

*** Martha ***

P.S. (When God created Joey, he DEFINITELY threw-away the
mold... My GOD you are funny, Joeykins... And, thank you!!!
HE!!! HE!!! CRACKING-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCK ON!!!
lol.... )
01-19-04 04:29 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Give the right link:
http://home.tiscali.nl/shotofsalvat...smonumenten.htm

It's on the Dirtywork site blondie gegege .

Ow gegege, yes I'm blond. And insane gegegege .
01-19-04 02:39 PM
Gazza Its pretty easy to find. The flat Mick,Keith,Brian and Phelge lived in (at no. 102) is about ten houses from the end of the road (where that pic of Martha was taken).

The house still looks pretty dingy even though its a decent part of town. I wasnt sure whether the Stones lived at #92 or #102. Theres no plaque or anything like that. There were a couple of workmen working on a house in between the two and I walked up to one of them to ask if he knew...he saw my Stones T-shirt and before I opened my trap told me it was #102!

As Glencar correctly points out, the two Cheyne Walk houses (Keith lived at #48 and Mick at #3) are quite close by (about a 20 minute walk at most) but so far removed from the flat they were living in only five years earlier they may as well have been on the moon. The Kings Road is also close by but in the other direction.

Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH