ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Savvis Centre, St.Louis, Mo - January 27 2006
© Karen Elshout thanks moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RS Instant Live cd Return to archive
January 23rd, 2006 02:42 AM
zonked77 Has anyone bought one of those "instant live" cds at a show? For those who may have never heard of it, an instant live cd is basically a regulated bootleg that's recorded at a show and sold at the venue afterward.

I got one when I saw Kiss last year. I forgot how much I paid for it, maybe 20 bucks or so anyway I think it's really cool because you can trade them for other shows.

If RS had a contract for instant live cds, would you buy it or no?

Tiffani
January 23rd, 2006 02:59 AM
Altamont Not for $20 bucks. I guess it depends on the show. I'd rather get a fans recording from bit torrent for free. Granted, a soundboard recording would be cool, but some of the recent audience recordings are really good too.

A band shouldn't sell an instant live recording for more than $ Ten bucks. Hell, it should be given away for free considering the price people pay for tickets.
[Edited by Altamont]
January 23rd, 2006 12:28 PM
Gimme Shelter I bought one of a Dead show I went to a couple of years ago. I wish the Stones would do it. I've also bought them at a couple of Who shows.
January 23rd, 2006 01:19 PM
Dan The 2005 Pixies ones were the best. I preordered them, then they were sent a month later, properly mixed and on silvers. The shows I went to were early show/late show and they were sold as a set for the single show price.
January 23rd, 2006 01:50 PM
Jumping Jack Much better deal than a $40 t-shirt with the name of the city on it. Hell yes I'd buy it.
January 23rd, 2006 02:16 PM
Dan Yeah I don't actually wear T Shirts often enough and I have hundreds of them. So many that I only wash them about 2-3 years. Its very profitible and the shows get bootlegged anyway. I bet they would sell more discs total then whatever the inevitible live album is.
January 23rd, 2006 03:14 PM
Stray Cat UK They would never do it.
Not enough time to overdub the guitars ! It took them over a year to put Live licks out !!!!!!!!!

sc uk
January 23rd, 2006 03:18 PM
stonesmachine Yes I would buy one, but they would probably edit and sweeten and make us wait 6-9 months to get it if it came from RS.Com
January 23rd, 2006 03:25 PM
mrhipfl instant live DVDs would be better.
January 23rd, 2006 03:28 PM
stonesmachine
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
instant live DVDs would be better.

Now your talking!!!!
January 23rd, 2006 03:31 PM
CraigP Those Pixies recordings were great. It's a small world knowing that a guy who helped produce those disks is my guitar tech./ex guitar teacher.
To me, an instant live disk of a stones show fresh off the sound board for $20 is expensive but worth more than a $40 T-shirt.

[Edited by CraigP]
January 23rd, 2006 07:43 PM
Soldatti If they didn't make it is so far, it's because is not so easy to do.
January 24th, 2006 09:30 AM
Sir Stonesalot No, it's very very easy to do. Simply a matter of a laptop into the soundboard. If you plug in the laptop, you can record into ProTools and mix on the spot.

I've been to clubs where this is done. They can have a hundred copies done by the time the guitar tech has all the amps broken down. In the Stones case, they have the cash to buy the equipment to do, literally, THOUSANDS of copies within an hour of the show being over.

I'm actually quite suprised that The Stones didn't offer this yet. The Who sold their shows for $35.00. I expected the Stones to offer shows for $50.00.

They still might do it. I could see RS.com offering these up after the N. American leg is completed. And then again after the Euro leg.
January 24th, 2006 01:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
If they didn't make it is so far, it's because is not so easy to do.

au contraire...its a piece of piss to do

The Who made theirs available almost immediately and I got my recordings of the show I was at - complete, unedited and in great soundboard sound - a few weeks after the gig for about £15 for a double CD set plus postage. Packaging was pretty minimal, but who cares?

The Stones are never short of ideas for making money out of their fans. So the only explanation for not doing something like this is because they're too cautious about what they sound like without the safety net of edits and overdubs.

If they did a limited run of say 5,000 per show and publicly announced that they were diverting some of the profits to charity, it would be a much better idea than some silly cash-in live album released after the tour ends
January 24th, 2006 01:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot >it would be a much better idea than some silly cash-in live album released after the tour ends<

Yeah, but you and I both know that the cash in live album is a done deal. It's inescapable.

And you know as well as I do that we'll both buy the damn thing! So what does that say about us?!? LOL!!
January 24th, 2006 01:45 PM
gimmekeef Isnt this whole concept called being "fan friendly"....something the Stones have never been about...?
January 24th, 2006 05:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>it would be a much better idea than some silly cash-in live album released after the tour ends<

Yeah, but you and I both know that the cash in live album is a done deal. It's inescapable.

And you know as well as I do that we'll both buy the damn thing! So what does that say about us?!? LOL!!

yep..we're dicks

but I'm getting some kind of normality back....after 25 years of buying every Stones release on the day it came out, I refused to buy Live Licks until it ended up in the £5 bargain bins where it belonged (I only had to wait a few weeks!), didnt buy Rarities until someone gave me a CD token for Christmas and I still havent bought the "special rip off edition" of A Bigger Bang

I may be a sucker but I'm also a cynical fuck in my old age
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)