ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Savvis Centre, St.Louis, Mo - January 27 2006
© Karen Elshout thanks moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New David Gilmour Album Return to archive
January 22nd, 2006 11:49 AM
Ten Thousand Motels New David Gilmour Album

On An Island -- the third David Gilmour album and the artist's first studio recordings since Pink Floyd's 1994 multi-platinum The Division Bell -- will be in stateside stores Tuesday, March 7. From the first moments of the sound collage that begins On An Island, you know it's a special experience that not only bears comparison with the best of Pink Floyd, but also confirms their lead guitarist and singer as an outstanding solo artist. Here he reveals a personal vision and a breadth of styles -- folk, jazz, orchestral and rock -- brought together as a unified piece through his lyrical guitar playing and instantly recognizable voice. With orchestrations by the renowned Polish composer Zbigniew Preisner and a luminous production (assisted by Roxy Music's Phil Manzanera), virtuosity abounds. On An Island Guest artists include David Crosby and Graham Nash singing harmonies, Robert Wyatt playing the cornet, Caroline Dale on cello, Alasdair Molloy on glass harmonica and Pink Floyd's Richard Wright guesting on Hammond organ.

Gilmour shares writing credits with writer Polly Samson, continuing a collaborative partnership that began with The Division Bell. The album's songs tell of shared experiences that evoke a breadth of moods, from the hauntingly beautiful title track 'On An Island' (with a guitar performance set to enter the Gilmour canon of classics) to the meditative 'The Blue' and 'A Pocketful of Stones, ' as well as the heavier rock and blues numbers 'Take A Breath' and 'This Heaven.' In the spirit of intimacy, this album sees Gilmour's debut on the saxophone, as well as contributions by contemporaries from his pre-Floyd days.

On An Island is a collection of songs and instrumentals that had its genus in the critically acclaimed 2002 London Festival Hall concerts. Gilmour has stepped out of his super-group to discover he's still at his peak -- and he's rightly pleased. "It's my best and most personal work, " he says. "Making it with my musician friends has been a positive experience on so many levels." And touring it this spring can only take him to a new high.

The ten tracks on On An Island, which has been produced by David Gilmour, Phil Manzanera and Chris Thomas, are:

Castellorizon
On An Island
The Blue
Take a Breath
Red Sky at Night
This Heaven
Then I Close My Eyes
Smile
A Pocketful of Stones
Where We Start

Additional performers on the album include David Crosby, Graham Nash, Richard Wright, Robert Wyatt, Phil Manzanera, Jools Holland, Georgie Fame, Caroline Dale, Guy Pratt, Willie Wilson, and, from Pink Floyd's earliest incarnation, Rado 'Bob' Klose.

The On An Island tour starts in Europe in March, goes to USA in April and returns to the UK at the end of May, with concerts in Manchester, Glasgow and London.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
January 22nd, 2006 01:58 PM
the good Gilmour and Mick Taylor are my favorite lead guitar players. I'm going to pick this one up!
January 22nd, 2006 06:40 PM
Bruno Stone Gilmour is one of my favourite guitar players, although I don't like Floyd that much. The man can play 3 or 4 notes and make you cry. He is the best thing from Pink Floyd.

He deserves immortality for have written the guitar lines for Shine On You Crazy Diamonds. That lick is only 4 notes played slowly but they say it all, and I even am not talking about the rest of the song. The man is a talent.
January 22nd, 2006 08:55 PM
Soldatti PF fans must be all happy with the news, the first Gilmour's new material since 1994.
January 22nd, 2006 09:01 PM
keefjunkie thank god, finally
January 22nd, 2006 09:26 PM
Gimme Shelter I'll be seeing him in April in Oakland.
January 22nd, 2006 09:53 PM
Zack I am looking forward to this although his first two solo albums were disappointing. But now he's got two albums and two tours running the Floyd under his belt, so it may be better.
January 22nd, 2006 11:50 PM
Mottrush
A brilliant guitarist no doubt but I still maintain Roger Waters was the brains behind most of the good Floyd material

Cheers,

Mottrush
January 23rd, 2006 02:02 AM
Child of the Moon Very cool news! Gilmour is not only one of my favorite guitarists, but certainly one of my favorite rock singers. The guy has a great emotional range - he could do that very soft, ethereal Floyd stuff (Fearless, Echoes, etc.), and also the much rougher stuff (The Nile Song, Young Lust, etc.) and still sound great. I might just pick this one up.
January 23rd, 2006 10:54 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Very cool news! Gilmour is not only one of my favorite guitarists, but certainly one of my favorite rock singers. The guy has a great emotional range - he could do that very soft, ethereal Floyd stuff (Fearless, Echoes, etc.), and also the much rougher stuff (The Nile Song, Young Lust, etc.) and still sound great. I might just pick this one up.

you forgot not now john!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)