ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Savvis Centre, St.Louis, Mo - January 27 2006
© Karen Elshout thanks moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is Dirty Work Any Good? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 19th, 2006 12:01 PM
Jair
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Jair, you are questioning my patience with you on this subject. (..)

You sounds angry!
Calm down, Pammy!

(But, no way DW is better than Undercover)

And you guys still have the nerve to say I am high?!
Gee!!!
January 19th, 2006 12:06 PM
parmeda Jair, if I was truly angry, you'd know the difference
January 19th, 2006 12:07 PM
Jair
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
YOU SURE YOU AND IAN BILLEN ARE NOT RELATED?

No,
Nothing to do with Bin Ladden.
Actually, I loved those towers.
January 19th, 2006 12:38 PM
Joey [quote]Maxlugar wrote:
.....waiting for the next pain in the ass to say "hey buddy, pump me full of gas."

Snuggle to the Joe ... He " GOT GAME " ..... and you's ?!?!

January 19th, 2006 12:41 PM
tumbling dice When it came out,i like it.Nowadays i just like 2 songs.One hit( to the body) and Harlen Shuffle(great single!)
January 19th, 2006 12:43 PM
Joey
quote:
tumbling dice wrote:
When it came out,i like it.Nowadays i just like 2 songs.One hit( to the body) and Harlen Shuffle(great single!)

" Dirty Work " sold eighteen copies in the United States alone ................ Thirty Seven Worldwide ( Five were bought by some dude in Ceylon -- Go figure !! ) .
January 19th, 2006 12:45 PM
glencar I bought 2 of those 18. And YOU?
January 19th, 2006 12:59 PM
lotsajizz I hate to agree with Maxlugar, but he is right; 'Dirty Work' is a masterpiece.

The title cut alone is a drumming tour de force

January 19th, 2006 01:00 PM
glencar Don't eb a playa hatuh! DW is a semi-masterwork & you can't let your anger steer you away from that fact.
January 19th, 2006 01:06 PM
Maxlugar [quote]glencar wrote:
"Winning Ugly:. Ummm. Nice bass work. Whoever it is."

Bill Wyman.

No it's not. I'll have to look that up but it's not him.
January 19th, 2006 01:14 PM
Joey " I hate to agree with Maxlugar, but he is right; 'Dirty Work' is a masterpiece.

The title cut alone is a drumming tour de force"

You make young Joeykins sad .

The Joeykins , Established 1999

The Proud .... The Mighty .... The Only ..... Joeykins !

Joeykins ! ®

January 19th, 2006 01:14 PM
glencar I looked it up in the Martin Elliott book but he's not necessarily correct.
January 19th, 2006 01:15 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I bought 2 of those 18. And YOU?

Still .................. You SHALL be greeted !!!!

|
|
|
|
V

January 19th, 2006 01:17 PM
glencar Not in Omaha though. Come to NYC. I think it'll open your eyes.
January 19th, 2006 01:18 PM
Joey " Not in Omaha though. Come to NYC. I think it'll open your eyes."

January 19th, 2006 01:19 PM
glencar I have made up my mind to see the Two next tour.
January 19th, 2006 01:24 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I have made up my mind to see the Two next tour.

You are much loved by the Joey and SHALL be greeted in ten days .

January 19th, 2006 02:39 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
[quote]speedfreakjive wrote:
Hello all.
I've got most of the albums except this one, do you think its worth buying, any reviews, opinions welcome.

It's like my Grand Pappy used to tell me: "Boy, don't be a douche. Buy Dirty Work."

Dirty Work: Men creating music in the image of God.

In the winter of 1986 I was a sophomore in college working part time at an Exxon service station. It was not especially interesting work but one of the perks was you got to watch TV while waiting for the next pain in the ass to pull up and say "hey buddy, pump me full of gas." It was at this Exxon that I got my first glimpse of the great Rolling Stones album Dirty Work. The Grammy’s were giving the Stones a lifetime achievement award and played a clip of Harlem Shuffle off the album Dirty Work slated to be released that summer. It sounded great! I was pumped!

Soon enough summer came along and I got my hands on Dirty Work. My life has never been the same! What follows is a song-by-song breakdown of the Stones hardest rocking album ever.

One Hit (To the Body): The moment One Hit (To the Body) started playing, I knew the Stones had decided to kick major butt with this record. After two limp and distant albums (Emotional Rescue, Undercover) and one oldies set made from discarded archives, (Tattoo You), they had decided to put the pedal to the metal. The first few seconds are a little misleading then BAM! Nice crunching guitar! Rock and Roll!!! It really made me feel like a new Can't You Hear Me Knockin' was born. This was serious stuff! Along with some great guitar work came some great lyrics. "You burst in, in a blaze of light. You unzippered the dark. One kiss took my breath away. One look lights up the stars". It was a great start. My Stones are back. And they are pissed. Just as we like them.

Fight: YES! Now THOSE are guitars. Play this with headphones on and marvel over the slashings of Keith and Ronnie on this one. Pure aggression! Just what I love the Stones for. Nice lead in the middle too. This is shaping up to be quite an album. I’m losing my breath!.

Harlem Shuffle: Very dirty sounding. Which I like. It’s one of their best cover songs. Still, I would not have made this the first single. Their version of this tune has quite a nice edge to it though. The beat Charlie is kickin' is infectious. Ronnie's little licks are a nice touch. This is another song you need to put on with head phones to really appreciate the guitars. There are some wonderful things going on there.

Hold Back: Whoa! Mick is on fire! Mick just lets it loose and on this one. Never before or since has he let it rip like this for a whole song. Mick was not just going through the motions (like some will say) and came in the studio with real aggression for this album. Mick is howling here like he doesn't care if his vocal chords land on the control room window. Listen to the line "I've been climbing this tree of promises, for over forty years". The guitars are crashing into one another. Nice funky break at the end too. The drums are like a thunder storm. Wow! Can we slow it down now and take a breather? Yes we can Too Rude is next.

Too Rude: Too Rude is a nice change of pace for this album. I like the drum effect. The backup vocals remind me of the Grateful Dead. Looking back I think it holds up well compared to Keith’s other songs of late. Getting a little laid back at this point of the album was needed as well.

Winning Ugly:. Ummm. Nice bass work. Whoever it is.

Back To Zero: Uh oh. Momentum waning here!! This song blows. Come on guys get back on the horse.

Dirty Work: Oh yeah. We're back on track now. This is a very nice rocker. Some nice nasty guitar work. Nice lead by Ronnie. Another Mick howler! Drums and bass are right there too. I love this tune. It still gets a lot of airplay at home. This one and the next song back to back.

Had It With You: One of my all time favorite Stones songs! No bass on it and it still groves along. Mick hadn’t played harmonica like this in years. It must be played at maximum volume. The lyrics are good and raunchy too. This could be Mick on guitar or maybe Ronnie. I’m not sure Keith is anywhere near this song. I’m sure it was an oddity throw in but it winds up being the best song on the album for me.

Sleep Tonight: This is a nice Keith ballad. Sort of like All About You but better. I like the vocals. Ronnie Wood on drums. Nice guitar work at the end. Not bad at all as for as Keith croonin’ goes.

Tribute to Stu: This little Stu tribute piano clip is a sad reminder of the Stone that was lost in 1986. I feel it is one of the contributing factors for them not touring that year, as was expected.

So all in all Dirty Work is a great Stones album for those who like their Stones angry and loud. Who doesn’t? The hatred of Mick and Keith towards each other came out in the end as howling vocals and slashing guitars. Keith still says in interviews he likes this album. I strongly suggest getting the boot Dirty Work Sessions. Three songs from this two CD set that could have put this album over the top are Deep Love, Goin' To Memphis and Invitation. If this album came out in the day of CD, they would be there and this truly would have been more than just a great rocker album.

Don't listen to people who trash this album and dismiss it outright. You'll be missing out on some kick ass rock and roll. You have to take Dirty Work for what it is: A hard rocking reflection of where the Stones where at that time. Keith and Ronnie never played better together on a studio album in my opinion.

THANK YOU FOR PUTTING IT INTO WORDS
January 19th, 2006 03:25 PM
Joey
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
[quote]glencar wrote:
"Winning Ugly:. Ummm. Nice bass work. Whoever it is."

Bill Wyman.

No it's not. I'll have to look that up but it's not him.

M- .................... !

M - M - .................... !

M- M- M- M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-M- M- M-

M- ................................................

|
|
|
V
http://www.qwestcenter.com/

January 19th, 2006 03:40 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
[quote]speedfreakjive wrote:
Hello all.
I've got most of the albums except this one, do you think its worth buying, any reviews, opinions welcome.

It's like my Grand Pappy used to tell me: "Boy, don't be a douche. Buy Dirty Work."

Dirty Work: Men creating music in the image of God.

In the winter of 1986 I was a sophomore in college working part time at an Exxon service station. It was not especially interesting work but one of the perks was you got to watch TV while waiting for the next pain in the ass to pull up and say "hey buddy, pump me full of gas." It was at this Exxon that I got my first glimpse of the great Rolling Stones album Dirty Work. The Grammy’s were giving the Stones a lifetime achievement award and played a clip of Harlem Shuffle off the album Dirty Work slated to be released that summer. It sounded great! I was pumped!

Soon enough summer came along and I got my hands on Dirty Work. My life has never been the same! What follows is a song-by-song breakdown of the Stones hardest rocking album ever.

One Hit (To the Body): The moment One Hit (To the Body) started playing, I knew the Stones had decided to kick major butt with this record. After two limp and distant albums (Emotional Rescue, Undercover) and one oldies set made from discarded archives, (Tattoo You), they had decided to put the pedal to the metal. The first few seconds are a little misleading then BAM! Nice crunching guitar! Rock and Roll!!! It really made me feel like a new Can't You Hear Me Knockin' was born. This was serious stuff! Along with some great guitar work came some great lyrics. "You burst in, in a blaze of light. You unzippered the dark. One kiss took my breath away. One look lights up the stars". It was a great start. My Stones are back. And they are pissed. Just as we like them.

Fight: YES! Now THOSE are guitars. Play this with headphones on and marvel over the slashings of Keith and Ronnie on this one. Pure aggression! Just what I love the Stones for. Nice lead in the middle too. This is shaping up to be quite an album. I’m losing my breath!.

Harlem Shuffle: Very dirty sounding. Which I like. It’s one of their best cover songs. Still, I would not have made this the first single. Their version of this tune has quite a nice edge to it though. The beat Charlie is kickin' is infectious. Ronnie's little licks are a nice touch. This is another song you need to put on with head phones to really appreciate the guitars. There are some wonderful things going on there.

Hold Back: Whoa! Mick is on fire! Mick just lets it loose and on this one. Never before or since has he let it rip like this for a whole song. Mick was not just going through the motions (like some will say) and came in the studio with real aggression for this album. Mick is howling here like he doesn't care if his vocal chords land on the control room window. Listen to the line "I've been climbing this tree of promises, for over forty years". The guitars are crashing into one another. Nice funky break at the end too. The drums are like a thunder storm. Wow! Can we slow it down now and take a breather? Yes we can Too Rude is next.

Too Rude: Too Rude is a nice change of pace for this album. I like the drum effect. The backup vocals remind me of the Grateful Dead. Looking back I think it holds up well compared to Keith’s other songs of late. Getting a little laid back at this point of the album was needed as well.

Winning Ugly:. Ummm. Nice bass work. Whoever it is.

Back To Zero: Uh oh. Momentum waning here!! This song blows. Come on guys get back on the horse.

Dirty Work: Oh yeah. We're back on track now. This is a very nice rocker. Some nice nasty guitar work. Nice lead by Ronnie. Another Mick howler! Drums and bass are right there too. I love this tune. It still gets a lot of airplay at home. This one and the next song back to back.

Had It With You: One of my all time favorite Stones songs! No bass on it and it still groves along. Mick hadn’t played harmonica like this in years. It must be played at maximum volume. The lyrics are good and raunchy too. This could be Mick on guitar or maybe Ronnie. I’m not sure Keith is anywhere near this song. I’m sure it was an oddity throw in but it winds up being the best song on the album for me.

Sleep Tonight: This is a nice Keith ballad. Sort of like All About You but better. I like the vocals. Ronnie Wood on drums. Nice guitar work at the end. Not bad at all as for as Keith croonin’ goes.

Tribute to Stu: This little Stu tribute piano clip is a sad reminder of the Stone that was lost in 1986. I feel it is one of the contributing factors for them not touring that year, as was expected.

So all in all Dirty Work is a great Stones album for those who like their Stones angry and loud. Who doesn’t? The hatred of Mick and Keith towards each other came out in the end as howling vocals and slashing guitars. Keith still says in interviews he likes this album. I strongly suggest getting the boot Dirty Work Sessions. Three songs from this two CD set that could have put this album over the top are Deep Love, Goin' To Memphis and Invitation. If this album came out in the day of CD, they would be there and this truly would have been more than just a great rocker album.

Don't listen to people who trash this album and dismiss it outright. You'll be missing out on some kick ass rock and roll. You have to take Dirty Work for what it is: A hard rocking reflection of where the Stones where at that time. Keith and Ronnie never played better together on a studio album in my opinion.

Thanks for that, I'll get it, and see if I agree with your assessment. Watch this space.
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
January 19th, 2006 04:17 PM
Joey " Watch this space. "

January 19th, 2006 06:44 PM
Soldatti DW works sometimes, I really like the first 4 songs a lot and the last two. The problem is in the middle of the album.
January 19th, 2006 06:44 PM
stonedinaustralia Dirty Work is excellent - even the tracks i considered to be not so good when i it firs came out "Ugly" "Zero" have grown on me and imo have improved with the years

perhaps the last time you hear them playing real rock and roll with noisy raw guitar sounds - ("fight" 'Had it with You" - "Dirty Work")

no doubt the cover sleeve is monumentallly dreadful but don't let that influence what goe sin your ears!!
January 19th, 2006 08:01 PM
texile
quote:
Joey wrote:

Speedy ...........................

Man looks into the Abyss and sees the Dirty Work album staring back up at him ..... It is at THIS point that Man finds his character ...... and THAT is what keeps Man OUT of the Abyss .

JACKY !!!!!!

[ Edited by Oliver Stone(s) ]
[Edited by Joey]

funny.
but it does have one the rawest stones songs post-some girls - had it with you.
otherwise, it IS the hollow abyss
January 19th, 2006 10:14 PM
Zack
quote:
Joey wrote:

" Dirty Work " sold eighteen copies in the United States alone ................ Thirty Seven Worldwide ( Five were bought by some dude in Ceylon -- Go figure !! ) .

Wasn't me!

In a word, Dirty Work sucks. The best songs are just OK, and the bad ones are the worst Stones ever.
January 19th, 2006 10:24 PM
speedfreakjive Ive just listened to One Hit...., great guitar, but otherwise, I can't see what its aiming for really, its very dramatic.
January 19th, 2006 10:46 PM
glencar Oh man, are you annoying!
January 19th, 2006 11:00 PM
speedfreakjive Hold Back - the best thus far for me.
January 19th, 2006 11:53 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Joey wrote:

Speedy ...........................

Man looks into the Abyss and sees the Dirty Work album staring back up at him ..... It is at THIS point that Man finds his character ...... and THAT is what keeps Man OUT of the Abyss .

JACKY !!!!!!
Joey: Didn't know you were into Nietzsche. Nice.

Is Dirty Work worth buying? Of course, if you already have all the other Stones albums.

[ Edited by Oliver Stone(s) ]
[Edited by Joey]

January 20th, 2006 07:40 AM
RSRTG 1 of the first boots I purchased was the Dirty Work Demos. Dunno if any of you cats have heard it but I love it. The 'raw-er' the sound the better when it cums to the stones in my book, which is probably why so many people 'bag' their 80's and 90's efforts.
Would be interesting if anyone out there has heard this bootleg.Mick sings different lyrics to 'One Hit'.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)