ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Savvis Centre, St.Louis, Mo - January 27 2006
© Karen Elshout thanks moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is Dirty Work Any Good? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 19th, 2006 07:14 AM
speedfreakjive Hello all.
I've got most of the albums except this one, do you think its worth buying, any reviews, opinions welcome.

Speedy
January 19th, 2006 07:17 AM
Flairville IMHO its bad. The only ones worth having are Harlem Shuffle and One Hit to The Body
January 19th, 2006 07:21 AM
Honky Tonk Man Dirty Work is generally considered to the Stones weakest studio effort. There are a couple of decent songs, but the rest is pretty dire. The album has dated badly and lets not also forget that it has probably the worst Stones sleeve EVER!

If you want it short and sweet, this record stinks! It's for serious collectors only!
January 19th, 2006 07:22 AM
Jair
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Hello all.
I've got most of the albums except this one, do you think its worth buying, any reviews, opinions welcome.

Speedy

I think its worth, really. I like about half of the album, like Sleep Tonite, Harlen Shuffle and two or three more.

Anyway, its Stones and, to me, as a fan, any Stones record worth it.

I remeber when it came out I was dying to listen new Stones stuff - and I heard this one many and many tims, for several months.

The neighbors, plus my wife wanted to kill me, I must clarify, but fuck them, right?

January 19th, 2006 07:29 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Jair wrote:

I think its worth, really. I like about half of the album, like Sleep Tonite, Harlen Shuffle and two or three more.

Anyway, its Stones and, to me, as a fan, any Stones record worth it.

I remeber when it came out I was dying to listen new Stones stuff - and I heard this one many and many tims, for several months.

The neighbors, plus my wife wanted to kill me, I must clarify, but fuck them, right?

Absolutely Jair, fuck em, theres nothing worse than neighbors who cant rock out and listen to loud music.
Like the song "Neighbours".

Ive heard some reviews of DW that say its better than Undercover.
January 19th, 2006 07:40 AM
Jair
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Absolutely Jair, fuck em, theres nothing worse than neighbors who cant rock out and listen to loud music.

Thanks for your support, my friend!
January 19th, 2006 07:50 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Really? Where?

Honestly, 95% of the posters here will tell you to be weary of Dirty Work. Like I said, there are a couple of okay songs, One Hit (To The Body) and Keith’s Sleep Tonight. The rest is terrible. It doesn't get monumentally bad reviews without reason. Your always going to get the odd favourable review, but these are normally from Stones fans who fail to see that the band are not super-human and indeed make the odd duff record. Dirty Work is THAT record.
January 19th, 2006 07:54 AM
speedfreakjive No, one was actually in the Guiness Rockopedia, where every artist/album is reviewed, I guess that explains it. I guess the writers had so much stuff to review, they didn't think about it too much.
January 19th, 2006 07:57 AM
Nellcote It's the Stones, dammit, do you need to ask?
January 19th, 2006 08:00 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
It's the Stones, dammit, do you need to ask?

True, but do you dig it out often enough to make it worth it?
January 19th, 2006 08:06 AM
Nellcote It's under the price of a pizza, you decide.
January 19th, 2006 08:12 AM
BILL PERKS A MODERN ROCK MASTERPIECE
January 19th, 2006 08:16 AM
Jair
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
A MODERN ROCK MASTERPIECE

A MODERN MASTERPIECE OF SHITE.

(see Louvre Museum for more)

January 19th, 2006 08:19 AM
parmeda
quote:
Jair wrote:
A MODERN MASTERPIECE OF SHITE.

(see Louvre Museum for more)

Jair, might I suggest you look at Bill Perks' last Tag-Line?

(see Maxlugar's quote...)

And IMHO, "Had It With You" is worth the price of admission alone.
January 19th, 2006 08:56 AM
Jair
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Jair, might I suggest you look at Bill Perks' last Tag-Line?

(see Maxlugar's quote...)

And IMHO, "Had It With You" is worth the price of admission alone.

Sure but, come on, Mick its not that genius to make a masterpiece.

He is a master as a money investor.

January 19th, 2006 09:32 AM
Jumacfly one hit, had it with you , fight....the rest...not my cup of tea.
January 19th, 2006 09:36 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Jair wrote:

YOU SURE YOU AND IAN BILLEN ARE NOT RELATED?
January 19th, 2006 10:17 AM
parmeda
quote:
Jair wrote:

Jair, you are questioning my patience with you on this subject.

And guess what, Jair? Did it ever occur to you how long it took Mick & Co. to become masters of the almighty buck? There "magic" didn't happen overnight, babe. And I would stab at guessing that 40+ years ago, they were more concerned with their art...not their pockets.
January 19th, 2006 10:20 AM
Nasty Habits Dirty Work is better than Undercover.
January 19th, 2006 10:22 AM
parmeda ...thank you, Nasty
January 19th, 2006 10:26 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

I think both Undercover and Dirty work are better than Steel Wheels. The thing about DIrty work is that, while it definitely isn't a great-song-after-great-song type album, it's got some sizzling, fast, pissed off rockers on it, and that is why I think it's better than the backing-vocals-heavy, slick Steel Wheels.
January 19th, 2006 10:34 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Dirty Work is better than Undercover.

It's not in my world!

I'm not much of an Undercover fan either. There are some good tracks, but the early 80's Stones records don't do a great deal for me.

Every Stones release has its moments and Dirty Work is no different, but it's the absolute pits in my opinion. They were really scrapping the barrel. Maybe you can see beyond the crap lyrics and awful production. Maybe you like the rough and readiness of some of the numbers, but I can't stand it. Back To Zero? There is absolutely no excuse for it.

January 19th, 2006 10:43 AM
Nasty Habits Cocaine and cold war paranoia are excuse enough for anything. Although that Back to Zero is terribly arranged.

Rock and Roll IS Rough and Ready.
January 19th, 2006 11:09 AM
Joey
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Hello all.

Speedy

Speedy ...........................

Man looks into the Abyss and sees the Dirty Work album staring back up at him ..... It is at THIS point that Man finds his character ...... and THAT is what keeps Man OUT of the Abyss .

JACKY !!!!!!

[ Edited by Oliver Stone(s) ]
[Edited by Joey]
January 19th, 2006 11:17 AM
glencar Undercover is better than Dirty Work & BOTH beat what followed. DW has the title track which has incredible guitar, lyrics & vocals. Harlem Shuffle is great; shame about the video. Had It With You is suitably nasty. I could do without the Keith ballad, Hold Back & probably Winning Ugly although back in the day, I did blast it. I've never had a problem with the cover. Just that shrink wrap thing that enveloped it.
January 19th, 2006 11:37 AM
Maxlugar [quote]speedfreakjive wrote:
Hello all.

It's like my Grand Pappy used to tell me: "Boy, don't be a douche. Buy Dirty Work."

Dirty Work: Men creating music in the image of God.

In the winter of 1986 I was a sophomore in college working part time at an Exxon service station. It was not especially interesting work but one of the perks was you got to watch TV while waiting for the next pain in the ass to pull up and say "hey buddy, pump me full of gas." It was at this Exxon that I got my first glimpse of the great Rolling Stones album Dirty Work. The Grammy’s were giving the Stones a lifetime achievement award and played a clip of Harlem Shuffle off the album Dirty Work slated to be released that summer. It sounded great! I was pumped!

Soon enough summer came along and I got my hands on Dirty Work. My life has never been the same! What follows is a song-by-song breakdown of the Stones hardest rocking album ever.

One Hit (To the Body): The moment One Hit (To the Body) started playing, I knew the Stones had decided to kick major butt with this record. After two limp and distant albums (Emotional Rescue, Undercover) and one oldies set made from discarded archives, (Tattoo You), they had decided to put the pedal to the metal. The first few seconds are a little misleading then BAM! Nice crunching guitar! Rock and Roll!!! It really made me feel like a new Can't You Hear Me Knockin' was born. This was serious stuff! Along with some great guitar work came some great lyrics. "You burst in, in a blaze of light. You unzippered the dark. One kiss took my breath away. One look lights up the stars". It was a great start. My Stones are back. And they are pissed. Just as we like them.

Fight: YES! Now THOSE are guitars. Play this with headphones on and marvel over the slashings of Keith and Ronnie on this one. Pure aggression! Just what I love the Stones for. Nice lead in the middle too. This is shaping up to be quite an album. I’m losing my breath!.

Harlem Shuffle: Very dirty sounding. Which I like. It’s one of their best cover songs. Still, I would not have made this the first single. Their version of this tune has quite a nice edge to it though. The beat Charlie is kickin' is infectious. Ronnie's little licks are a nice touch. This is another song you need to put on with head phones to really appreciate the guitars. There are some wonderful things going on there.

Hold Back: Whoa! Mick is on fire! Mick just lets it loose and on this one. Never before or since has he let it rip like this for a whole song. Mick was not just going through the motions (like some will say) and came in the studio with real aggression for this album. Mick is howling here like he doesn't care if his vocal chords land on the control room window. Listen to the line "I've been climbing this tree of promises, for over forty years". The guitars are crashing into one another. Nice funky break at the end too. The drums are like a thunder storm. Wow! Can we slow it down now and take a breather? Yes we can Too Rude is next.

Too Rude: Too Rude is a nice change of pace for this album. I like the drum effect. The backup vocals remind me of the Grateful Dead. Looking back I think it holds up well compared to Keith’s other songs of late. Getting a little laid back at this point of the album was needed as well.

Winning Ugly:. Ummm. Nice bass work. Whoever it is.

Back To Zero: Uh oh. Momentum waning here!! This song blows. Come on guys get back on the horse.

Dirty Work: Oh yeah. We're back on track now. This is a very nice rocker. Some nice nasty guitar work. Nice lead by Ronnie. Another Mick howler! Drums and bass are right there too. I love this tune. It still gets a lot of airplay at home. This one and the next song back to back.

Had It With You: One of my all time favorite Stones songs! No bass on it and it still groves along. Mick hadn’t played harmonica like this in years. It must be played at maximum volume. The lyrics are good and raunchy too. This could be Mick on guitar or maybe Ronnie. I’m not sure Keith is anywhere near this song. I’m sure it was an oddity throw in but it winds up being the best song on the album for me.

Sleep Tonight: This is a nice Keith ballad. Sort of like All About You but better. I like the vocals. Ronnie Wood on drums. Nice guitar work at the end. Not bad at all as for as Keith croonin’ goes.

Tribute to Stu: This little Stu tribute piano clip is a sad reminder of the Stone that was lost in 1986. I feel it is one of the contributing factors for them not touring that year, as was expected.

So all in all Dirty Work is a great Stones album for those who like their Stones angry and loud. Who doesn’t? The hatred of Mick and Keith towards each other came out in the end as howling vocals and slashing guitars. Keith still says in interviews he likes this album. I strongly suggest getting the boot Dirty Work Sessions. Three songs from this two CD set that could have put this album over the top are Deep Love, Goin' To Memphis and Invitation. If this album came out in the day of CD, they would be there and this truly would have been more than just a great rocker album.

Don't listen to people who trash this album and dismiss it outright. You'll be missing out on some kick ass rock and roll. You have to take Dirty Work for what it is: A hard rocking reflection of where the Stones where at that time. Keith and Ronnie never played better together on a studio album in my opinion.

January 19th, 2006 11:41 AM
56DeSoto I think it's worth picking up, just make sure you get it cheap somewhere. I only listen to half the songs on it, but enjoy them: Dirty Work, Had it with You, Sleep Tonight, Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude.
January 19th, 2006 11:46 AM
Voodoo Scrounge just get it. its worthwhile
January 19th, 2006 11:53 AM
glencar "Winning Ugly:. Ummm. Nice bass work. Whoever it is."

Bill Wyman.
January 19th, 2006 11:57 AM
Saint Sway Sleep Tonight and Had It With You are must owns. Classic songs.

for the non-hardcore completist, I'd advise just downloading the quality songs from Dirty Work and avoiding the others entirely. Same with Bigger Bang.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)