ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

An outtake from San Diego by Stoneslib.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: HBO: Again!!! Return to archive
01-23-03 09:34 PM
Boomhauer Watchin' it right now.

Man, in interviews Charlie seems so bored.......but when that man is on the stage, he loves it.

Just look at him on Angie. He's into it, people. He feels the groove, he is the groove, and he is the man.

Charlie rules. Best drummer ever, IMO. You can say all you want about Moon and Bonham with their flashy styles, but Charlie is the best rock n' roll/blues/jazz drummer of all time.

"Great fucking audience!"

01-23-03 09:47 PM
~AzQb

Fuck man!!!!

Check him out during RaMbLeR...

Charlie IS the swing,the Groove, The EngineRooM- damn RiGht~!

~
01-23-03 10:00 PM
Soul Survivor Check out Lisa's milkwaggons
01-23-03 10:01 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Boomhauer wrote:
Bonham with their flashy styles

boomer agree entirely with your post excep for the above quote

imo bonham was a one dimensional, ham-fisted, meat & potatoes tub-thumper - nothing flash at all - i mean, check out his diabolical attempt at reggae (if you could be so kind a so call it that)on "d'yer maker" (sp?)

as keith put it in that recent "uncut" i/view re bonham "Jesus - God!!" (i'll have to lok up the full quote when i get home tonight but it was deinitely not complimentary)
having said that i do like a bit of led zep esp. "physical grafitti"
01-23-03 10:03 PM
Boomhauer Don't you just love how he does that thing were he's sittin' their, looking around like "Now when is this thing gonna be over", and then all of the sudden.......

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!

Chi-ca, chi-ca, chi-ca, chi-ca..........BOOM!!!

Then the way he shows how he falls into the groove. He doesn't do it in an overwhelming way. He just bobs his head side to side.....side to side. Sometimes with the eyes closed.

01-23-03 10:15 PM
Boomhauer
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

boomer agree entirely with your post excep for the above quote

imo bonham was a one dimensional, ham-fisted, meat & potatoes tub-thumper - nothing flash at all - i mean, check out his diabolical attempt at reggae (if you could be so kind a so call it that)on "d'yer maker" (sp?)

as keith put it in that recent "uncut" i/view re bonham "Jesus - God!!" (i'll have to lok up the full quote when i get home tonight but it was deinitely not complimentary)
having said that i do like a bit of led zep esp. "physical grafitti"

Yeah........I agree. Don't get me wrong, I like some Zeppelin, but drum solos like that are intended for 15 year old kids, IMO. They really prove nothing. The simplicity of keeping a good rhythm is what is really impressive.

Also, I never got the idea of why these drummers need all of shit around them. Like all of the cymbols they never use. Tiny ones, and some that look like patio tables. And they never use them.

Charlie probably has the simplest drum kit of any drummer and he makes the most of it. He just uses what he needs. Not like the drummer from Kiss, with all of that shit around him. I guess it was just some sort of thing to make the drummer look like he was really cool or somethin'.

Charlie's cool in my book.
01-24-03 03:57 PM
sasca Bonham's drum solos I can do without but I love 'D'Yer Maker'. More a dancehall crooner than reggae.
[Edited by sasca]
01-24-03 04:04 PM
Moonisup charlie got wrong big time in Thru and thru
01-24-03 04:55 PM
stonedinaustralia boomer you're right again about charlie making more out of the simplest kit than all those guys with 500 piece set-ups...charlie is a true artist and understands perfectly the notion that "less is more"

here's that keith quote on bonham for those that haven't see it - it also touches on this idea of drummers with too much equipment - he was discussing zeppelin generally and said "...Bonham was a great drummer and everything, but I never really liked that kind of drumming,I never like that thunderous sort of...Jesus God, if you can't do it on one bass drum then you ain't gonna do it with two,pal"
01-24-03 05:13 PM
parmeda SIA...hey bud!
My oldest son is a drummer. When he saw Charlie's drum kit Tuesday night, he commented, "That's it?" He was under the impression that there should have been this monstrous "set" up on the stage and commented more on the fact that you probably can't "hear" the beats. Well...he shut his yap once things started rolling. The next day he was talking with his drum instructor and "filling him in" on how everything sounded without all of the "extras".

Yes, less is sometimes definately more...

And I'm glad he "saw and heard" that for himself...in the long-run, it may save me some big bucks on obtaining more pieces for his kit!
01-24-03 05:22 PM
stonedinaustralia hi pam - thanks for the e-mail note - you have some great pics. - i esp. like the one of keith voodoo has put on the header - with the semi-acoustic gibson he reminds me of an albino chuck berry - and you've caught a really great look in his eyes - as mentioned above you can still see the "boyish" enthusiasm/determination he has for what he's doing...

it must have felt almost unreal to be so close to the action
01-24-03 05:42 PM
parmeda SIA...check your e-mail again!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST