ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

An outtake from San Diego by Stoneslib.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: billboard review Return to archive
01-23-03 07:58 AM
sirfito Last night (as daily) i just recieved the billboard news by mail.
It contains a very good review about the Stones performance at MSG.
See billboard.com
Cheers,
Fito
01-23-03 10:43 AM
jb Went to the web site and cannot find it...can you post it? Thanks..
01-23-03 11:03 AM
scope Here it is:

January 21, 2003

Rolling Stones / Jan. 18, 2003 / New York (Madison Square Garden)

How? How, after 40 years, thousands of gigs, songs, studios, and miles, a trail of damaged or deceased accomplices, and vast changes in popular taste, can the Rolling Stones still live up to the designation "greatest rock'n'roll band in the world?"

The band's performance on Jan. 18, the second of a two-night, sold-out stand at New York's Madison Square Garden, provided a clear answer: they simply make music like they always did, with little more than guitars, amplifiers, drums, microphones, and the raw sexual energy of tireless frontman Mick Jagger.

Say what you will about aging artists in the youth-driven world of rock'n'roll, but Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, and Ron Wood (average age: 58.5) present a more thrilling, raucous performance than most rockers less than half their age. From the moment they took the stage with "Street Fighting Man," the Rolling Stones generated enough heat to fire up a sub-freezing New York and the audience watching an HBO simulcast.

After a fall tour featuring stadium, arena, and theater dates, the Stones have hit many markets a second time, performing primarily in arenas. This downsizing from the gigantic proportions of a stadium show plays to the band's strength: the relative simplicity of the set complements their lean and tough, riff-based music. Not that an army of 100-foot-tall blowup dolls could compete with Jagger; the age-defying singer commanded the stage from the get-go, with the entire Madison Square Garden audience hanging on every utterance.

As in the band's prior MSG show two nights earlier, special emphasis was placed on the "Let It Bleed" album, widely regarded as one of their best. "Monkey Man," built around one of guitarist Richards's most demonic, hypnotic riffs, was stupendous; the fierce and telepathic interplay between Richards and Wood was especially noteworthy. (Clean and sober, Wood's chops are noticeably improved on this tour.)

The Stones also performed the title track from "Let It Bleed," along with "Gimme Shelter" and "Midnight Rambler." The former featured vocalist Lisa Fischer, while the latter was an epic rendition rivaling the classic recording, from the same venue but 33 years earlier, heard on "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!"

The Stones truly appear energized by the deep album cuts they have dusted off for the Licks tour. On "If You Can't Rock Me" they seemed to tease the audience with the segue into "Get Off My Cloud" featured on "Love You Live," but instead followed up with new song "Don't Stop," included on the "40 Licks" compilation. Similarly, "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," one of the band's funkier and more experimental recordings, and the aforementioned "Monkey Man" had Jagger screaming into his wireless microphone, dancing maniacally, and racing across every square inch of the expansive MSG stage.

Richards performed the rare "Thru and Thru" from 1994's "Voodoo Lounge," a song more recently featured on HBO's The Sopranos. "That's right," Richards emphasized, "I said 'The f***in' blues!'" "Happy," another Richards-sung track and fan favorite, followed.

How to top two hours of unchecked ferocity? If you're the Rolling Stones, bring out Sheryl Crow for a duet. Surprise guest Crow, decked out in American flag-adorned trousers, helped belt out "Honky Tonk Women" to the delight of the capacity crowd.

As if that weren't enough, the Stones saved the intimate "B" stage, situated in the center of the floor, for the end of the set. There, the Stones plus bassist Darryl Jones and long-time sidemen Chuck Leavell (keyboards) and Bobby Keys (saxophone) sealed their status as once and, apparently, forever, the "greatest rock'n'roll band in the world," tearing through raveups "It's Only Rock and Roll (But I Like It)," "When the Whip Comes Down," and "Brown Sugar."

But even then they weren't finished. An encore consisting of familiar classics "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash," provided further illustration that, 40 years on, a Rolling Stones concert is a force of uncommon strength, a performance far more stimulating than that of the vast majority of touring acts today. "I read in the paper today that this is the last time the Rolling Stones are playing the Garden," Jagger teased between songs. "I don't think so."

Here is the Rolling Stones' setlist:

"Street Fighting Man"
"Start Me Up"
"If You Can't Rock Me"
"Don't Stop"
"Monkey Man"
"Angie"
"Let It Bleed"
"Midnight Rambler"
"Tumblin' Dice"
"Thru and Thru"
"Happy"
"Gimme Shelter"
"You Got Me Rocking"
"Can't You Hear Me Knocking"
"Honky Tonk Women" (with Sheryl Crow)
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
"It's Only Rock and Roll (But I Like It)"
"When the Whip Comes Down"
"Brown Sugar"

Encore:
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash"

-- Christopher Walsh, N.Y.

01-23-03 11:07 AM
Maxlugar Josh,

Your reading comprehension skills continue their downward spiral into the abyss.

http://www.billboard.com/billboard/livereviews/index.jsp

It was clear hell on the main page.

Troubling..........

01-23-03 11:13 AM
jb Max...I swear it wasn't there! Just like you at MSG on 1/16 and 1/18....
01-23-03 11:15 AM
Maxlugar That was a low blow and I will not talk to you for 11 days as a result.

01-23-03 11:19 AM
jb I'm sorry.....
P.S.-Scope...just wanted to say again how much fun it was meeting you..the usher coming up to me was quite startling initially!!!
[Edited by jb]
01-23-03 11:24 AM
Nellcote Maxy,

I think 11 days is a bit harsh. After all, JB made the rounds in NYC, despite his steadfast reluctance in advance to attend. I think he deserves a pass on this.
I would urge him to visit to an optomitist, as I read the article today at 0700. Please reconsider. In addition, am I able to fit Gideon's Bible at the bottom of this page also?
01-23-03 11:25 AM
jb I went to Billboard.com...I could not see it!!!...In fact, go now..it's not there..Some rapper is on the mainpage...
[Edited by jb]
01-23-03 11:30 AM
Nellcote Main Page, under "On The Road"
Please do not mention "rapper" on this page again.
If this continues, I will have to ask that you post elsewhere, as references to such vile music is reprehensible!
01-23-03 11:42 AM
Joey
" I think 11 days is a bit harsh. After all, JB made the rounds in NYC, despite his steadfast reluctance in advance to attend. I think he deserves a pass on this.
I would urge him to visit to an optomitist, as I read the article today at 0700. Please reconsider. "

<---- Hold On , There is only one who determines who gets a Pass !

Damn Straight little buddy ............................

This thing of ours would dissolve without rules . It is rules that keeps the family together .

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Don Vito Joey }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
01-23-03 01:21 PM
sirfito Thank you very much for the help and the comments.
Cheers,
Fito
01-23-03 01:47 PM
Moonisup 11 days, why the 11
01-23-03 01:56 PM
Maxlugar I figured I'd start speaking to him on a Monday. So Feb 3rd it is. It'll be a good way to start a week.

M!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST