ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

An outtake from San Diego by Stoneslib.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Chicago I: Reviews, setlist and pix January 21 Return to archive
01-22-03 12:09 AM
Stonesdoug 1-You Got Me Rockin
2-Street Fighting Man
3- If You Can't Rock Me
4- Don't Stop
5- Live with Me
6- Wild Horses
7- Sweet Virginia
8- Rocks Off
9- Tumbling Dice

intros

10-Slipping Away
11-Before They Make Me Run
12-Gimme Shelter
13-Start Me Up
14-Can't You Hear Me Knocking
15-Honky Tonk Women
16-Satisfaction
B Stage
17-IORR
18-Midnight Rambler
19-Brown Sugar
encore
20-Jumping Jack Flash
01-22-03 12:20 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl One more time You Got Me Rocking opening... a great one, and I know many of you hate that one, including my dearest partner in crime Jaxx, but that is one of the best hot rocks from the 90s
01-22-03 12:25 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl BTW, THANK YOU VERY MUCH STONESDOUG!!!
01-22-03 12:39 AM
littleredrooster It's 16 degrees F with a wind chill of 3F tonight in Chicago!
For tomorrow night's show High 13F LOW -5F degrees!

PhilA is there freezing his butt off!
The Stones only did 20?
They were probably 'freeze dried' !!!

Icy Roostah

Hey Voodoo....Mexico City must be a little warmer than that ???!!!??
01-22-03 01:14 AM
Martha

Voodoo I just heard the Mexico got rocked hard with an earthquake..are you ok?????

Great set list..I dig You Got Me Rockin' too....Thanks Stonesdoug..and you standing next to Ronnie??? I LOVE that shot!!!. How many shows did you make before you got to meet him?

I was a pitcher down in the slumps......
01-22-03 03:23 AM
dealer squealing The setlist is getting too much like The Voodoo Lounge tour! 17 songs out of 20 last night were played during the Voodoo Lounge tour!! Don�t get me wrong it was a very good song collection but i prefer if every tour has his own caracter, some songs that make him original from the past ones. Hold on to songs like Loving Cup Hand Of Fate, Torn and Frayed and more. Its easy to just throw in the warhorses as the tour goes on. Its not long time untill we may see Miss You in there!!!!!
01-22-03 03:24 AM
dealer squealing The setlist is getting too much like The Voodoo Lounge tour! 17 songs out of 20 last night were played during the Voodoo Lounge tour!! Don�t get me wrong it was a very good song collection but i prefer if every tour has his own caracter, some songs that make him original from the past ones. Hold on to songs like Loving Cup Hand Of Fate, Torn and Frayed and more. Its easy to just throw in the warhorses as the tour goes on. Its not long time untill we may see Miss You in there!!!!!
01-22-03 03:26 AM
01-22-03 06:27 AM
Nellcote Mr. Dealer, have you made you mind up on this topic?
[Edited by Nellcote]
01-22-03 07:34 AM
dealer squealing sorry about that i posted it 3 times, computer problem
01-22-03 07:57 AM
Boomhauer Why is it that some shows have 22, some have 21, and some have 20?
01-22-03 08:17 AM
parmeda Gerardo...(and, everyone else)

We got in late. It's way too early right now, but I was able to sneak in three cameras last night into the UC. I'll try to do the same tonight as well, then I'll have the pain-staking task of downloading a boat load of photos, LOL.

I'm going back to bed!
01-22-03 08:19 AM
corgi37 That is a top set! I really hope this is the arena show for Oz. Midnight and CYHMK in the same set! And i agree, You got me rocking is usually a lame rocker, but as an intro to a set...perfection!!!
01-22-03 09:41 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I'm fine Martha, thanks! Parmeda we are waiting for thos pix! PLEASE!!!

an article

Rolling Stones show they have the energy of men half their age
By Joel Reese Daily Herald Staff Writer
Posted on January 22, 2003

John Starks/Daily Herald

There are two ways to look at the Rolling Stones' never-ending nostalgia express that wheezed into the United Center last night.

Skeptics will likely say the band should have hung it up decades ago, when they last released a relevant new album. (When was the last time even the most die-hard Stones fan tossed 1994's "Voodoo Lounge" into the CD player?)

But the thousands who packed the sold-out United Center for the band's strong set would likely respond, "Shut up you predictable cynics and enjoy the Stones while they're still around."

The band gave the doubters ammunition with their unfortunate opener, "You Got Me Rocking" (from the aforementioned "Voodoo Lounge"), but the band still attacked it with a respectable relish. And even the most pessimistic couldn't help but appreciate the eternally astonishing sight of Sir Mick Jagger bounding across the stage, lithe and whippet-thin, shaming lazy rockers half his age.

Mick and the boys atoned for the opening gaffe by following it with "Street Fighting Man," a war horse that still packs a wallop. The song culminated with a classic moment as Ron Wood, Keith Richards and Chicago's own bassist Darryl Jones jammed by Charlie Watts' drum kit as Jagger writhed, wriggled and danced across the massive stage.

The concert lagged when Jagger donned a guitar of his own for the uninspired "Don't Stop" from the recent "Forty Licks" -- even a gargantuan pair of seductive ruby-red lips on the colossal video screen couldn't lift this number above lackadaisical.

The band then turned the vast arena into a giant honky-tonk, playing three consecutive songs from their classic "Exile on Main Street." Jagger played an acoustic guitar for the country-tinged "Sweet Virginia" (aided by a superb Bobby Keyes sax solo), followed by a rollicking "Rocks Off," topped by an outstanding "Tumbling Dice." The song ended with a dizzying rave-up -- horns blaring, Jagger dancing and Wood and Richards beating on their worn guitars with reckless abandon.

Doubters had their moments, but by end the Stones proved that even with the ravages of time -- the four main Stones players are a combined 234 years old, for those keeping score at home -- the Stones still have it.

Denim-clad bad-boy wannabe Ryan Adams provided a solid -- if largely unappreciated -- warm up. The former Whiskeytown singer imbued the song "New York, New York" with a welcome rocking kick, but his mid-tempo jam-twang was greeted with mostly polite applause and indifference.

Hopefully, the enfant-terrible, who covered several Stones songs on his last trip through Chicago, stuck around for the Stones' show to learn lessons about energizing a crowd.

01-22-03 09:46 AM
telecaster
quote:
Boomhauer wrote:
Why is it that some shows have 22, some have 21, and some have 20?

I would assume because they played CYHMK and Midnight Rambler, two 10 minute plus songs.

Time wise it was on target.

It was a great show.
01-22-03 11:16 AM
jb Hello Pam..hope you had a great time!!!
01-22-03 12:14 PM
Madafaka Thank you Stonesdoug!
Cool set list.
01-22-03 01:08 PM
Martha I'm glad to learn you are ok Voodoo....did you feel the earthquake at all??

Great photo of Keith..he looks so happy. Nice review too.

Thanks everyone.
01-22-03 01:20 PM
StrangeStrayCat For the record, the last time I popped Voodoo Lounge into my ... er, WinAmp player, was YESTERDAY! Actually I'm appreciating that album more and more as time goes on.
01-22-03 07:58 PM
CS

Stones roll into Chicago
The Rollings Stones rolled into Chicago to perform at the United Center on Jan. 21. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are pictured onstage.
(Chicago Tribune /Nuccio DiNuzzo
01-22-03 08:19 PM
LadyJane What a great pic of Mick and Keith!! Is it just me or are those two seemingly enjoying the hell out of one another?

I'm such a stupid Pollyanna. Wonder how long before Keith gave Mick a dirty look ala "Whip" at MSG??

LadyJ.
01-23-03 04:17 AM
parmeda I just hated to see it end...

Two days...back to back...non-stop...heart pounding...skull cracking...skin tingling...wanna jump up and shout...can't stop dancin' with 'this song' in my head...with a TATOO YOU night to boot! It's over, but what a way to end what was probably the last show I'd see from this tour.

But first...Tuesday night was everything I had expected it to be. "Fine tuned", is the best explaination I could give. It was a special night I shared with my husband and our two sons. I went to have fun! And fun is what we had. I didn't go with the intention to scrutinize each and every song. (Ha!, there's no need to IMO...) However, hearing ROCKS OFF, SWEET VIRGINIA and two very long versions of CYHMK and MIDNIGHT RAMBLER...have been put on my back burner as my favorites for the night. Then there was "that hat"! Luxy, I answered your PM, LOL... Was it yours? That whole thing happened all so fast and I didn't have the chance to snap a picture...but, I did think of you when I saw it.

We had great seats that were even with the front of the stage on Keith's side. When my sons walked into the UC and saw the stage, they both came to a dead silence and slowly turned to each other as if, "Holy shit!" You could just read it on their faces. They sat quietly and absorbed EVERYTHING. These two sets of hawk-eyes didn't miss a thing...they pointed out "who snuck pints in under their coats", to "where all of the Hotties were sitting", to "Oh My God Ma, this old man in front of me is smoking pot!!!" (Keep in mind, this all has happened before Ryan Adams even hit the stage...) BTW, Ryan Adams sucked, IMO...sorry.

Once the UC darkened and all hell broke loose, our two young-ins blended and jumped right into the thick of things. All of the grief that I've endured through the years from them razzing me about "my music" suddenly came to halt Tuesday night...although I don't think they'll ever admit it to anyone just yet, but I caught them singing along to every song...boppin' around...toe tappin' with the best of 'em...and every time I'd glance over at them, I had the biggest smiles returned back to me.

Hey Mick...you just nailed the coffin on the recruitment of yet two more FANS!

Sirmoonie said it to me best when he asked me if this was their first concert..."You just ruined any other concert experiences that your sons may ever have."

This may be true Moonie...and to that other jackass that thought the fans should unite and boycot the Stones shows because he thinks we're being ripped-off, "Kiss my 'EVER-LOVING-MICK' ass!" Tell my sons they were ripped-off...I dare you!

Voo, look for pix in my Wednesday review that I'll do tomorrow...I've got more!
01-23-03 08:04 AM
LadyJane Parmeda--Sounds like you had two wonderful nights. I'm very happy for you I know how it must have warmed your heart to see your sons become Stonesians. Although I don't have kids of my own, we brought my best girlfriends daughters (ages 17, 13 and 11) to the Miami show. The highlight of the night was looking over and seeing all the girls, especially the younger ones dancing and singing along to Satisfaction!! I actually got choked up!!

These are priceless moments and I agree with you that Mr. I_hate_ripoffs is a big jerk!!

LadyJ.
01-23-03 09:41 AM
CS

Jagger in Chicago
Mick Jagger leads the Rolling Stones in concert Tuesday night at the United Center, the fourth of five Chicago shows by the rock legends since September. After seven more U.S. dates, the band heads to Australia and the Far East on the Licks World Tour.
(Tribune photo by Nuccio DiNuzzo.)
January 22, 2003
01-23-03 09:44 AM
gypsy Thank you very much for your review, Parmy. Glad you had such a great time. Make sure you get some rest.
01-23-03 12:13 PM
parmeda STONES GET THE SILVER--AND THEY GIVE US THE GOLD

CHICAGO SunTimes
January 23, 2003

BY JEFF VRABEL STAFF REPORTER

Less a rock band than a perfectly tuned engine, less men than impossibly successful hormone experiments, the Rolling Stones returned to town this week and again proved their unparalleled skill at making people smile while beating the crap out of their wallets.

Back for two more shows after a sold-out three-night stand in September, the Stones brought the "Licks" tour back into the United Center with seemingly none of the well-intentioned novelty of that last visit. No big publicity push this time, no dipping into one of rock's most treasured catalogs, and certainly no hot-ticket stop at the Aragon.

This was The Stones, back to business.

And business, despite that always-swirling flurry of question marks, remains good. No one doubts that this encore swing is a cash grab, in all its $350-for-the-best-seats glory, and indeed, the packed house seemed to shoot down warnings about the nation's flagging economy more defiantly than the president did when he pitched his tax cut here. Plus, there's always that age thing, and with it the spectre of diminishing skills. Michael Jordan's playing the United Center on Friday, too. Draw whatever metaphors you want.

But it's not like fans turned out for a groundbreaking display of experimental virtuosity. They came for the hot rocks, and damned if the Stones didn't deliver. There was some raggedness during Tuesday's opening salvo of "You Got Me Rocking," "Street Fighting Man" and "If You Can't Rock Me," but once the kids got down to business, they ripped the joint with a fiery and exquisitely selected set, redlining during a blistering revisiting of "Exile on Main Street" that included "Rocks Off," "Tumbling Dice" and a note-perfect "Sweet Virginia."

As for that age thing, sure, Charlie Watts looks like he's daydreaming, but his spare, calculated gunshots on the drums continue to make him the glue that holds the machine together. Watts is a marvel; when he locks in with Chica-goan Darryl Jones' bass--which he does automatically--the results are usually something like the locomotive groove of "Midnight Rambler" that falls into lock-step as easily in 2003 as it does on your CDs.

The oft-shirtless Richards seems reinvigorated as well, prowling the stage as he puffs dutifully and maintains a smirk, which is probably directed straight at Death. Richards and Ron Wood, who kept a low profile, leveled their guitars at "Tumbling Dice," and Keith dusted off the "Steel Wheels" track "Slipping Away" during his turn in the spotlight. But his tour de force--and the band's--was "Can't You Hear Me Knocking." Rich-ards' riffs sliced through the United Center air like blades, finding room in Watts' precision backbeats and driving the song through its faux-calypso breakdown into a mammoth conclusion.

And then there's Mick Jagger, ever addictive and watchable in his burlesque-house slitheriness. Jagger's voice was in fine form. He nailed a ragged but pretty "Wild Horses" and reached back 30 years to rip up a "Gimme Shelter" that, thanks to Lisa Fisher's soaring vocals and some of Richards' finest work of the night, was something approaching perfection. Jagger even tore into "Start Me Up" with an uncharacteristic fury, especially considering the track could he heard over a car commercial in the lobby before the show.

The Stones have no trepidation about stomping all over that intersection of commerce and rock, between lame auto spots and razor-sharp Richards. And the fans don't seem to want to--or remember how to--separate the two anymore. The Stones have been so imprinted by their own marketing and arena-rock antics that trying to remember them before is futile. But in the face of all logic, God love them, they still know how to deliver the goods when it counts. In their own way, by their own shady, shifting rules, the Stones in 2003 remain all business.

Given Ryan Adams' status as alt-country beacon/brat, and with his smoke-stained voice, shaggy mane and reputation for unkempt, all-over-the-map live performances, he seems a perfectly logical choice for a Stones opener. For his part, Adams, last seen in Chicago at the Vic jumping off stage for a beer and playing along with Madonna LPs, stepped up to the arena challenge nicely, peppering his 45-minute set with organ-drenched rockers ("Firecracker") and broken-down ballads ("Touch, Feel and Lose").

With some time and discipline, Adams may be able to hold down arenas after all. That being said, he did end his set by kicking the mike stand around and leaving stage without a word. Didn't anyone teach him to respect his elders?

ROCK REVIEW
ROLLING STONES
AT THE UNITED CENTER

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST