ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

An outtake from San Diego by Stoneslib.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: HBO: Keith Was Lovely! Return to archive
01-21-03 07:40 PM
McQueen Finally saw a taping of the HBO special today. All in all, a good show, though as many of you know, the exitement of a live performance is very difficult to come across on the screen. The Stones managed better than most.

What I found most entertaining was the attitude of the beloved Mr. Richards. Ladies and gentlemen our riff-gent clearly took this show by the short and curlies from intro to last call. The interplay between he and Charlie was particularly fun to witness.

Ronnie was solid, though at times appeared just a touch distracted. He clearly is enjoying himself though, and is looking fighting-fit. Stay straight Mr. Wood. This band is benefitting greatly from it.

Mick was...Mick. Not his best showing, though still better than 90% of the other lead singers out there. Again though, this view might very well be attributed to watching the concert on the television. When I saw him live this year, a mere free-throw away from the B-stage, he amazed me. And I don't use such a term lightly. The man is a beautiful freak of nature. Impressive indeed! Not an individual for whom the small screen can do justice.

Charlie, classy, rock-solid Charlie. What came across during the HBO show, and also when I saw the Stones live, is how much he appears to be enjoying this tour, now several shows into it. This bodes well for perhaps another go by our boys?

And again, there was Keith. Sneering, flailing, wicked-wicked-wicked smile criscrossing that sin-soaked visage...Keith was king this night. The stage and this show were his. Thru and Thru was brilliant. Not the beautiful but somewhat melancholy serenade of Slipping Away, but a subtle, whiskey-soaked, smoke-filled, call to arms. Fuck those blues Keith. Fuck those fag rock critics with their sock drawers of snide "Rolling Stones are too old" comments. Fuck the rock posers who refuse to acknowledge the sheer span of you and your band's continueing influence. And fuck the fat-ass fair-weather Stones fan who leaves to take a piss, dump, whatever, instead of staying in their seat to pay respects to the living riff. Yeah, you fuck 'em all because you can.

Gather no moss boys. For Christ's sake, just keep rolling.
01-21-03 09:08 PM
~AzQb

Dig It,McQueEn!

....always and ever reminded of a certain verse of Hynde's...actually the whole story, but remember this from "TaLk of ThE ToWn"? Way back when? still somehow so fitting

"Aoh, but it's hard to live by the rules...i never could and still never do...the rules and such...never bothered you... you call the shots...and they follow"

Keith is that gorgeous unspeakably deep paradox of "fuck you" and incredible shyness... and that not 'self-consciousness'-- no,not that at all-- but a keen desire to keep the music forefront and the "legend" elsewhere...preferably out of view

Dobie Gray's "Drift Away"? Have you heard them cover this one? i think that sums it up...what i'm so unsuccessfully trying to get across..."when i'm feeling blue...the guitars comin thru to soothe me...thanks for joy you've given me...want you to know i believe in yer song...rythym an rhyme and harmony... carry me on...keepin me strong...so gimme the beat boy, an free my soul...i wanna get lost in rock n roll and drift away"

~RoTfLmAo!~

01-21-03 11:50 PM
McQueen You're nailing it. Yes, Keith is a paradox. An enigma. A wonderful riddle. I just loved seeing him regain some of the wicked edge he had not shown, at least in my experience, for the last decade of song. Some of those riffs - mercy! How those knobby digits of his manage is beyond me. Something other-wordly going on there?

If this kind of energy keeps up, the new album is going to be amazing. In fact, "Don't Stop" has been growing on me week by week. Why the record company didn't do a proper push on this one I'll never know. Little air play, lame video. A shame. The song, though not great, is good, and deserved far more respect. Perhaps the HBO special will help in this regard. We shall see.

Duff: "So what goes on in your head right before you go on?"

Keith: "You tell me..." Eyes glinting, sly grin cracking those crows, aged agelessness in all its glory. My man Keith. Beautiful.

01-22-03 08:33 AM
luxury1 But did you see how pissed off Keith got at Mick on the B-stage during Whip? His face just clouded over cuz Mick's guitar was too loud (real question here for me because I could hear Keith on this tune WAY UP Front, and could hardly hear Mick's rythem??) Anyway, upon watching the tape again--Keith just turns away from Mick for most of the song, facing CHarlie, with that scowl. And Keith seemed to hold the grudge for the rest of the show--he barely acknowledges Mick again. Oh, those Glimmer Twins.
P.S. I loved how relieved Mick is when they finish Sympathy all together for once--his face says it all.
01-22-03 11:27 AM
throbby Did you catch Mick's reaction in between Midnight Rambler and Tumbling Dice. He went back to get a drink of water after that long Midnight Rambler. As he's raising the bottle to his lips and before he can take a sip Keith hits the opening chord to Tumbling Dice. Mick's got his back to the camera but you can see him shake his head like "what the fuck". I'm a big fan of Keith but I thought he behaved like quite the asshole at certain points in the show. He seemed to enjoy cutting Mick off in mid sentence with the start of the next song. Quite the nasty glare during "Whip". Maybe all that fire and brimstone at home has got him on edge.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST