ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

An outtake from San Diego by Stoneslib.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The ULTIMATE Leavell Report Return to archive
01-21-03 07:08 PM
Honky Tonk Man Damn! I was so bored at work,that i was planning out what great posts i was going to make tonight. Anyway, i have not been to active on the recent Chuck threads, so i thought id give my own opinion here

Chuck Leavells MAIN ROLE within our beloved band is to replace Keiths Rythem guitar. He sits there plonking away at the rythem or melody of a number, alowing Keith (Ronnie too, sometimes) to play around it.

Remember the great riff driven versions of "Lets Spend The Nght Together" from the 81 and 82 tours? That rythem work is all Keith. Now listen to the BTB live versions. Its driven by Chucks Keyboard. Keith barely contributes.

Same goes for "Sympathy For The Devil" The Chuck dominated version okay, i reallly liked it at Giants, but in truth its not how we would like to hear it.

You could make the point that he is just there to BEEF up the rythem section. Well my freinds, its gone BEYOND that. He RULES the rythem section.

Of course there are the songs which DEMAND Keiths guitar. JJF, Start Me Up and so on. He drives those songs.

But seriously, HOW LONG WILL IT BE UNTILL WE HEAR CHUCK CLUNKING OUT THE INTRO TO JJF, instead of Keiths power house guitar riff?

Alex

01-21-03 07:24 PM
Prodigal Son Poor Keith will eventually just be cranking out guitar riffs not realizing Chuck is playing the on his crappy synthesizer. It's too bad that we don't get to hear more crunchy rocking guitar from him. But his stage presence is so euphoric that there's no way he'd ever fade into the backdrop. At least we can haver Ronnie perfect his lead guitar weave!
01-21-03 07:37 PM
exile I hope Chuck and keith are noy STILL doing that "Keith comes over to piano and plays a small Jerry lee lewis like bit then hits it with his foot thing"

Been done a few too many times
01-21-03 07:53 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

>Remember the great riff driven versions of "Lets Spend The Nght Together" from the 81 and 82 tours?

That's because they went back to the studio version to re-learn it, and the studio version barely has any guitars in it. It's Jack Nietzche's piano that makes that song work. I haven't liked ANY of the live versions very much, riff-driven or not.

>Same goes for "Sympathy For The Devil" The Chuck dominated version okay, i reallly liked it at Giants, but in truth its not how we would like to hear it.

Again, they're trying for the studio - Nicky's eloquent piano, slowly gaining in complexity and intensity as the tale unfolds, is the framework on which Mick and Keith hang their masterworks (the lyrics and the guitar solos are both high water marks). I far prefer the studio version to the YaYa's version, but that's me. But that's the one they're going for.

Anyone see the show in CA this tour where they had an African drummer jamming on Sympathy? I would think that would improve it a lot.

Damn, I miss Nicky.

Oh, and for whoever asked, they finally stopped doing the Keithy Lee Lewis routine in HTW. Now Chuck mugs for the camera. I wish they'd just DROP the piano break altogether!

01-22-03 02:57 PM
macawber keith once said something to the effect that a stones tour is so huge that you wonder " is it working for you or are you working for it"

this whole "big production" thing seems to be good for the tour but doesn't seem to be too good for the band itself.
leavell helps with the setlist and plays all the keyboard styles.fine,but the problem is that you have keith fuckin richards taking cues from the allman brothers keyboard player.maybe good for the tour but a horrible state for the stones to be in.

it suprises me that these people,leavell,don was,the back-up singers..etc have hung on so long.in the past the stones always worked with different people every few years.i'm sure i'm not the only one gritting my teeth when i see chuck dropping lines like"i'm the musical director" and when "we" hit the stage or "i've been with the stones for 20 years"

the next record and tour will you..if they change direction and use different musicians and start writing guitar driven rockers again the stones will be in great shape.if they churn out another lackluster don was disc and tour with the same old line-up those "oldies act"remarks are gonna start to ring true.

don't get me wrong-steel wheels,voodoo,babylon,and licks have been great but its getting harder to find the stones in the middle of all that production.if they have become a corporation thats ok,but its time for some downsizing.

01-22-03 04:08 PM
Jerry in Boston [quote]Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Remember the great riff driven versions of "Lets Spend The Nght Together" from the 81 and 82 tours? That rythem work is all Keith. Now listen to the BTB live versions. Its driven by Chucks Keyboard. Keith barely contributes.

JER: The only reason I ever liked that song in the first place was because of Jack's piano. I hated the 81/82 live version with a passion. The BTB version was a bit closer to the studio version but still fell a bit short. I hate how Mick throws the build-up line away: "You know I'm smilin', baby!" I miss the punch of the studio version.

Then Honky Tonk Man also wrote:

But seriously, HOW LONG WILL IT BE UNTILL WE HEAR CHUCK CLUNKING OUT THE INTRO TO JJF, instead of Keiths power house guitar riff?

JER: Hey, remember "Heartbreaker" from the Voodoo tour? That opening riff was all Chuck.
01-22-03 04:14 PM
100 Years Ago the only thing I have to say about Chuck is WTF is up with that hair...???? looks like some kinda used up brillo pad or something
[Edited by 100 Years Ago]
01-22-03 04:27 PM
Moonisup I say it now!!!

And I have said it b4

Chuck the fuck
01-22-03 07:12 PM
souldoggie I get it, Mick and Keith love Chuck, for 20 years, and so we all hate Chuck for it? Poor Chuck. The best gig in the history of rock n roll. Maybe if everyone says mean things about Chuck, Keith will fire him, right? Or maybe he'll just quit. That's it, Chuck will tell his friends, Mick and Keith, that he's going to quit because people say mean things about him on the internet. LOFL.
01-22-03 07:19 PM
Honky Tonk Man Moonisaup, ypu fucked ike me!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ALWC
01-22-03 07:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot All right Alex!!!

Fucked up on a work night!! You make ol' SS proud!

PM me your email addy...you have some prizes coming to you.
01-23-03 05:52 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Moonisaup, ypu fucked ike me!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ALWC

please explain this: "ike me"
01-23-03 06:09 AM
fmk438j
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

please explain this: "ike me"

Alex is expressing a special kind of manly love for you moon.
01-23-03 07:05 AM
Honky Tonk Man LOL! In fact, Alex is off work today. Im on a rota system.

Moonisup, use your inteligence!

The ike was meant to be LIKE!

Alex
01-23-03 07:33 AM
Moonisup yeah yeah

that would make

you fucked like me

hahahwhahahah

well it was early in the morning when I read that ahahaha I ain't always on the top of my game!!

rik
01-23-03 07:43 AM
Honky Tonk Man After last nights session, iv'e in fact decided to cut back on the drinking for a while. I was up from 6am this morning suffering from dehidration and a terrible cough.

I do enjoy my, get drunk, eat kebab, listen to Stones routine but im worried about my health and more importantly still, the money. I need to pay off my trip to Munich soon and i just cant afford to blow �50 on drink every Friday night.

There, im finished with ranting now

Alex
01-23-03 07:47 AM
Moonisup hmmmmmm that is not good ahha stay with the BOOZE

I have dropped the smoking!! That is a bit hard, but it's worth it!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST