ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

An outtake from San Diego by Stoneslib.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: MY MATE MICK, BY RON Return to archive
01-20-03 06:42 PM
CS MY MATE MICK, BY RON
11:00 - 20 January 2003

He is best known for letting his fingers do the walking on the fretboard of the electric guitar.

But yesterday veteran Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood proved he is as much at home with a paintbrush as a plectrum after wowing the art world with an exhibition of his paintings.

Wood is gaining increasing respect from art dealers and collectors all over the world thanks to a stunning series of portraits of musical icons - including many of himself with fellow Rolling Stones Mick Jagger, Keith Richard, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts.

The guitarist's art has gone on show at New York's Pop International Gallery on West Broadway.

And in typical showbiz style, the rock legend brought the Big Apple to a standstill by rolling up to his exhibition in a 25-seater superstretch Hummer limousine this weekend.

Wood stepped out of the limo as the early evening traffic blew its horns in a united protest against the proposed war against Iraq.

He said: "We played at Madison Square Garden the night before and as we left I saw this massive Hummer - it looked like some kind of war monster.

"I'd never seen anything like it. I told my son, Jamie, 'Wouldn't it be fun to turn up at the art show in a Hummer'.

"I had forgotten all about it but when I came downstairs to go to the exhibition there was this monster parked outside. It was fantastic to see the traffic come to a halt just to look at it. I felt like the president."

Wood's son Jamie, who had taken his father at his word, added: "It took us hours to try track down one of these things but it was worth every minute of it to see his face as he stepped in. We're thinking of getting one for London when the tour arrives there."

At the gallery on Saturday, the guitarist hosted a rare question and answer session with US broadcaster and journalist George Plimpton.

Guests included Sopranos star Michael Imperioli and Andy Hilfiger, brother of couturier Tommy.

As well as portraits of fellow Stones, the exhibition includes portraits and drawings of Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Marvin Gaye, the late Who drummer Keith Moon, James Dean and Muhammad Ali.

The striking and painstakingly-detailed portraits range in price from �1,000 for limited prints to �30,000 for originals.

Wood is hoping to host exhibitions in every city that coincides with the remainder of the latest Rolling Stones world tour.

He revealed he paints to music but is more likely to paint Chuck Berry listening to Mozart than the Stones.

He envied Lucien Freud whom he said "paints pretty ladies in the nude and they have to come round every day for six months and get undressed".

He said the secret was "getting the eyes right" although in the case of self-portraits it was the nose because it was so "prominent".

Asked by a member of the specially invited audience: "What do the Stones think of your art?" Wood diplomatically replied: "They have grown to like it."

The Stones' sell-out world tour hits the UK this summer.
01-20-03 09:59 PM
MP Way to go, Ronnie!
01-20-03 10:33 PM
gypsymofo60 Well for over 20 years I have said, "The guy shows as much brilliance with a paintbrush, as he does with a guitar." In an art world full of pretencious crap, where so called "exestentialism" has become like a trademark for the overrated, Woody& others like him who refuse to pander to whatever happens to be fashionable are finally getting recognition. Have a look at McCartney's art, art? Then look at Ronnie's. Don't tell ME who's the real artist! All power to ya RON!
01-21-03 08:03 AM
Stonesdoug I was invited to the taping and got to ask Ronnie a question about one of his pieces of art that I own. Also got to talk to Jo, Jesse Jamie----very cool family

found a smaller pic

[Edited by Stonesdoug]
01-21-03 08:10 AM
Maxlugar Oh man!

You got to take a picture with Ron Wood AND Alan Colmes!

FUCK YUP!
01-21-03 08:22 AM
Pants Make the Man Alan looks stoned. Ronnie looks sober.
01-22-03 01:01 PM
Martha I've met Stonesdoug and I think I've met the guy in the middle of the photo (at the Rock Hall on October 15th with Toronto Tom). Now I just need to meet Ronnie and the circle is complete!!!!! GREAT Shot! Congrats guys!
01-22-03 01:40 PM
moy congratulations stonesdoug, woody is the coolest stone!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST