ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1969 Beth Sunflower
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Any new Stones-inspired bands out there? Return to archive Page: 1 2
16th January 2007 12:49 PM
Saint Sway seems like theres been a bit of a drought lately for new Stonesy sounding bands coming out...

anybody know any that they'd like to turn me on to?
16th January 2007 01:02 PM
Spru One band that a friend turned me on to was Razorlight. He said they were supposed to be to the Stones as Oasis supposedly is to the Beatles, however, aside from some guitar riffs, I don't see many similarities between Razorlight and the Stones, but I still like Razorlight a lot. They are a newer British band and they've had 2 albums out in the last couple years, Up All Night and a self-titled second album. Both are solid, but I prefer Up All Night. They're pretty big in Europe from what I hear and read. Hopefully this helps you out a bit.
16th January 2007 01:31 PM
Saint Sway nah. Razorlight sounds nothing like Stones to me.

16th January 2007 01:36 PM
Sir Stonesalot The Novaks
The Deadstring Brothers

Just off the top of my head. I can probably come up with a few more for ya later.

16th January 2007 01:39 PM
Saint Sway Thanks SS

I love The Novaks. Will ck out Deadstrings... where they from?

couple of stonesish bands hailing from NYC that I like the debut albums of are The Izzy's, Leroy Justice and The New Heathens.
16th January 2007 01:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot The Deadstring Brothers are from Detroit. They sound like what The Stones woulda sounded like if Gram Parsons and Merry Clayton had joined the band.

I love The Izzys. Good call.
16th January 2007 01:52 PM
Saint Sway I'm downloading Deadstring Brothers now.... seeing as there on Bloodshot and cover The Band's 'Get Up Jake' I think I'm gonna likey...

thanks again SS

anyone got any other Stonesy bands for me?
16th January 2007 01:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yer welcome.

Starving Winter Report was my #4 album of 2006. You'll play it to death.
16th January 2007 01:58 PM
nanatod
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
anyone got any other Stonesy bands for me?

I know it's been out a couple of years, but you just got to hear the Black Crowes' "Shake Your Moneymaker," Saint Sway. Those first couple of songs on side one would not feel out of place on Sticky Fingers or Goats Head Soup.
16th January 2007 02:28 PM
pdog i 2nd The Novaks and Izzy's... Can't wait to check out The Deadstring Brothers...
16th January 2007 02:31 PM
pdog you might know them already, but The Reigning Sound are very Stonesy... IMO.
16th January 2007 03:38 PM
mrhipfl not really new, but in case you haven't heard of them, the black keys sound very stonesy to me. They have some great riffs. I'd reccommend "rubber factory" as a first album.
16th January 2007 04:50 PM
Saint Sway Reigning Sound dont sound Stonesy. But they're totally the type of garage rock bands I like. Good pick.

Keys just flat out rawk. Hard. I wish the Stones were busting out tunes like 10am Automatic these days. That would of been a great one for Mick. If only Keiths guitar sound still had balls like that.

what about Louis XIV?? Guys got a hint of Mick to him, no?
16th January 2007 05:03 PM
mrhipfl If you're into garage bands you should check the sights and the muggs out as well.

The Blue Van are a great band as well. They're Danish I believe.
[Edited by mrhipfl]
[Edited by mrhipfl]
16th January 2007 06:03 PM
Sir Stonesalot Sway...I got 2 words for ya.

Baby Woodrose.

See if you can find "Love Comes Down". That album will tear yer damn head off. There is definately a Stones influence...but more Brian era Stones.

Oh, and I second The Sights & The Blue Van.

Here's me 'n Steffan of The Blue Van...yeah, we were kinda lit.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
16th January 2007 06:14 PM
Dan I saw The Sights at Amoeba once. I have absolutely no recollection of it.
16th January 2007 06:25 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Sway...I got 2 words for ya.

Baby Woodrose.

See if you can find "Love Comes Down". That album will tear yer damn head off. There is definately a Stones influence...but more Brian era Stones.

I just downloaded it. Listening to "what ya gonna do?"
Damn, that's good stuff!
I'm getting my rocks off listening to it! I think...?
[Edited by mrhipfl]
17th January 2007 10:44 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yes. That is an accepted definition of "getting yer rocks off".

Glad you like the album. I play that thing all the time.
17th January 2007 10:48 AM
Saint Sway I really like The Sights but dont consider them Stonesy. Cool band but more like a garage version of Mott The Hoople.

anyone out there listen to Bulldog?
[Edited by Saint Sway]
17th January 2007 01:40 PM
MikeyC613 Wow, Deadstring, sounds like they were in the next room when the Stones were mixing Voodoo Lounge
17th January 2007 02:05 PM
pdog
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
Wow, Deadstring, sounds like they were in the next room when the Stones were mixing Voodoo Lounge

is that good or bad, in your opinion?
17th January 2007 03:15 PM
pdog Jarvis Humby...
Cool as fuckin' fuck! I fucking swear on my motherfucking life!
17th January 2007 04:58 PM
HouseboyKnows Check out the Reigning Sound version of I'd Much Rather be with the Boys. One of the lamest Stones songs ever actually turned into a Stonesy sounding cool song.
17th January 2007 05:00 PM
pdog
quote:
HouseboyKnows wrote:
Check out the Reigning Sound version of I'd Much Rather be with the Boys. One of the lamest Stones songs ever actually turned into a Stonesy sounding cool song.

Yup!
17th January 2007 05:17 PM
Nellcote From Espana, probably folks have heard them, I'm sometimes late to the table, anyway, check out Sugar Mountain..

http://www.sugar-mountain.net/musica_EN.htm

Good thread!
17th January 2007 08:43 PM
MikeyC613
quote:
pdog wrote:

is that good or bad, in your opinion?

Not sure, they really sound like the Stones a lot, but they're not them. I hear them and all I can think of is another band, I don't know if that is a good thing.
18th January 2007 06:44 AM
mrhipfl American Minor is another good stones inspired band. Their production is a bit cleaner than the garage bands listed above.
18th January 2007 10:25 AM
LAMF the chesterfield kings sound a bit like em and are really influenced by em. the album "lets go get stoned" is really good and they are amazing live.

the brian jonestown massacre are awesome too. cool music with lots of different instruments, i guess thats the brian jones influence there. check out the album "strung out in heaven"
18th January 2007 10:46 AM
Sir Stonesalot Agreed LAMF. The Chesterfield Kings and The BJM are great, and wear their Stones influences on their sleeves.

Neither band is really "new" though. The Kings have been kickin' for close to 25 years. BJM has been around for about 12 years.

And both are more influenced by the Brian era Stones, more than Taylor of Woody era Stones. Which is a good thing, IMO. I think that sound suits each band better.

I've seen both bands live...The Chesterfield Kings x 5. BJM had a Dig!(great rock n roll movie even if you don't care for BJM or The Dandy Warhols) moment when I saw them. I had to duck a flying guitar case. It was nuts.

Here's a pic of The Chesterfield Kings that I took the last time I saw them. I took home part of a mic stand that Prevost busted up.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
18th January 2007 10:49 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
LAMF wrote:
the chesterfield kings sound a bit like em and are really influenced by em. the album "lets go get stoned" is really good and they are amazing live.

the brian jonestown massacre are awesome too. cool music with lots of different instruments, i guess thats the brian jones influence there. check out the album "strung out in heaven"

welcome LAMF! Awesome board name!!!!!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)