ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1965, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones legacy undermined Return to archive
January 20th, 2005 12:24 PM
Lazy Bones Rolling Stones legacy undermined

The Rolling Stones story has many chapters. Sex, certainly; drugs, well, yes. And, lest we forget, rock and roll. As the quality of Stones album releases has dropped over the years, the focus has switched from the musician Stones to the cartoon Stones - the super-rich rakes, the role models of excess.

These days, when the Stones are news, it's usually for the wrong reasons. Recent Stones covers in music mags have promoted features on yet another investigation into the death of Brian Jones, and the context of that tawdry little film, Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, released last year on DVD.

In the face of all this silly stuff, the Stones's legacy as the greatest band of the rock era, with a long, glittering list of top singles and half a dozen era-defining albums, is ignored. The Rolling Stones catalogue, which would keep any new fan enthralled for weeks, is sidelined in favour of a tiresome fixation with the musicians as somewhat wayward celebs, leading a life of louche luxury.

Over the years, the focus on the sex, drugs et al has served the band well, ensuring unparalleled attention. But, as a result, they're figures of fun, vastly under-rated as creative musicians. Just pull out the Singles Collection or Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet or Exile On Main Street, crank up the volume on the headsets and listen very carefully. What you once heard as party music, perfect for singing along to, dancing and drinking, now reveals itself as a peerless collection of expertly crafted and beautifully performed music for grown-ups.

The Stones catalogue is a beacon of 20thC popular culture. OK, let's risk it - great art. But you wouldn't know that from the salacious focus on the Stones as bad boys: a timeless legacy is in danger of being undermined.

Gerry Smith

(from "Music For Grown-Ups")
http://www.spacemonkeylab.com/mfgu/blog/archives/00000379.html

January 20th, 2005 12:35 PM
jb Like i wasn't saying this 5 yrs ago while all of you bitched at me....you fuckers!!!
[Edited by jb]
January 20th, 2005 12:37 PM
Mikey I believe its "you're all fuckers".

Mikey
January 20th, 2005 12:41 PM
jb
quote:
Mikey wrote:
I believe its "you're all fuckers".

Mikey

I edited it.....but thanks for the grammar lesson...
January 20th, 2005 12:43 PM
Mikey JD,

Relax - catch a breath. You are on top of the world, you're rich, handsome, drive a nice car, have a family.

Why the bitterness - we're all family here.
[Edited by Mikey]
January 20th, 2005 01:55 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Mikey wrote:
JD,

Relax - catch a breath. You are on top of the world, you're rich, handsome, drive a nice car, have a family.

Why the bitterness - we're all family here.
[Edited by Mikey]

But he is without his signature Mullett
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood